• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Crucifix blasphemous?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If your leader's authority over you is supported a great deal by your belief in a sanctioned religion, the rise of other religions are a threat to his power structure.

If an authority says, "Do not do this, because God says so," his law is powerless over the one who does not believe in his god.

Or the leader and followers may actually be BELIEVERS in a particular faith.

And - get this - they may actually be right!

There is truth out there. And believers in that truth.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Or the leader and followers may actually be BELIEVERS in a particular faith.

And - get this - they may actually be right!

There is truth out there. And believers in that truth.

Yes, they may be right, but that should never be taken at its word. You can't just hear the Truth's words and take in the Truth itself, because the nature of Truth is understanding.

Scripture has a lot of Truth in it, but until you go beyond the mere words and taking things "on faith" to actually examining every lingering doubt you must bury to support such a walk with God, you understand nothing.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yes, they may be right, but that should never be taken at its word. You can't just hear the Truth's words and take in the Truth itself, because the nature of Truth is understanding.

Scripture has a lot of Truth in it, but until you go beyond the mere words and taking things "on faith" to actually examining every lingering doubt you must bury to support such a walk with God, you understand nothing.
What has this to do with the crucifix being or not being idolatry???

Your assertion of "mind control" and "evil intent" shows a level of skepticism that also lacks understanding.

Prophet

Prophet: Don't blindly trust anyone to tell you what to believe.
Kathryn: What if they're right?
Prophet: They may be right. You should confirm this on your own and accept nothing blindly.
Kathryn: IRRELEVANT!
Sojourner: Could responding to Prophet be... the DEVIL?

LOLOLOLOL

Last edited:

sojourner

Prophet: Don't blindly trust anyone to tell you what to believe.
Kathryn: What if they're right?
Prophet: They may be right. You should confirm this on your own and accept nothing blindly.
Kathryn: IRRELEVANT!
Sojourner: Could responding to Prophet be... the DEVIL?

LOLOLOLOL
This wasn't how the conversation actually went.
First off, you never made the first statement. Kathryn made here response to something else. Her comment of irrelevancy was to indicate that your statement of "threat to power" has nothing to do with whether the crucifix represents idolatry. Second, My comment was made in fun.
Misdirection won't get you anywhere.

Prophet

What actually transpired was a much more specific version of what I just put up there. I just put up the broad strokes because that's the funniest part.

sojourner

What actually transpired was a much more specific version of what I just put up there. I just put up the broad strokes because that's the funniest part.
Post #99 was the one to which Kathryn first responded (according to your post "recapping" the conversation. Reread it. It doesn't say anything about "blind following" -- not in the way you suggest in your synopsis.
Unless you didn't write what you meant. Your illiteracy isn't our fault, if that's the case.

At any rate, think what you want to think. This is irrelevant to the thread.

Prophet

Don't trust authorities to tell you the rules God wants us to live by? Reason these things for yourself? I'm fairly certain that I've at very least tacitly implied these very common sense ideas in every single post I've written in this thread.

I'll mirror your insult. Your illiteracy is not my problem.

sojourner

Don't trust authorities to tell you the rules God wants us to live by? Reason these things for yourself? I'm fairly certain that I've at very least tacitly implied these very common sense ideas in every single post I've written in this thread.

I'll mirror your insult. Your illiteracy is not my problem.
Whatever.
You win.
Happy now?
Can we get on with subject matter at hand, yet, or is there some other pressing need we must address?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yes, let's please return to the topic at hand rather than the current rabbit trail.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Crucifixes are creepy like something from the Hellraiser movie.

It's only blasphemous if you think the dude on the cross is actually God.