• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the God of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam the same deity?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You're a King James only I presume?

Once again criticizing the KJV...Why, exactly, are you advocating multi-language Bibles? If the translation is decent, does it matter? You seem to rely on various texts, it's not practical, especially if you want to present cohesive arguments.

cheers

Shermana

Heretic
Once again criticizing the KJV...Why, exactly, are you advocating multi-language Bibles? If the translation is decent, does it matter? You seem to rely on various texts, it's not practical, especially if you want to present cohesive arguments.

cheers

Judging by your reply, I assume you're not quite aware of what the "Comma Johannum" issue I was referring to is all about and why I even made this comment in the first place. It seems that Rise was paraphrasing 1 John 5:7 which is a common "Trinitarian proof text" among KJV-onlyists.

Do you understand the deal with 1 John 5:7?

Can you imagine that there's a reason why I asked him if he was a King James onlyist? What do you suppose that reason would be? It's because the passage is totally interpolated and obvious proof of Trinitarian tampering with the text and attempting to shoehorn their doctrines into the text where it doesn't belong.

It doesn't just apply to the KJV but also the Vulgate. (And others). However the only Greek it appears in is a 16th century manuscript.

I can criticize the KJV all day, it's actually a very good version overall especially when it comes to several key passages when disputing against Antinomians, key passages that the majority of modern translations deliberately twist that only a few others like the Douay Rheims get correct, like Mark 7:14. But I don't think you quite understand what I was referring to and why I said that. Do you think I just made a KJV comment randomly without a specific point in mind?

You see, many Trinitarians rely on the KJV's spurious and mistranslated passages regarding the Trinity to support their doctrine when the manuscripts overwhelming are against the translations they rely on.

So in this case, the "translation" is NOT decent when it comes to certain passages, such as 1 John 5:7 or 1 Timothy 3:16 or Revelation 1:11, and that is an entire debate subject.

Thus, my cohesive argument that I was implying through that little snippet is that relying on the King James to promote this Trinitarian view does not work because it is wrought with what is overwhelmingly considered to be spurious and mistranslated passages in a few crucial places.

With that said, I don't understand what's not practical with "relying on various texts", are you saying its practical to rely on one text? What do you mean exactly? What cohesive argument would I not be able to present?

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
An idea from another thread, is the God of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam the same Deity? Do you have any scripture or other evidence to back up your argument?

Concerning the ascribed meaning of the word "holy" I would say no and yes because everyone's health and well being (spiritually, physically, mentally) is all subjective yet somewhat same as in application and reticulation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Judging by your reply, I assume you're not quite aware of what the "Comma Johannum" issue I was referring to is all about and why I even made this comment in the first place. It seems that Rise was paraphrasing 1 John 5:7 which is a common "Trinitarian proof text" among KJV-onlyists.
quote]

There needs to be a thread regarding the trinity concept without the obfuscation. It's pretty much one way or the other as I understand it, without the trinity you are left with multiple gods.....if you can explain otherwise I'm open to another idea.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Concerning the ascribed meaning of the word "holy" I would say no and yes because everyone's health and well being (spiritually, physically, mentally) is all subjective yet somewhat same as in application and reticulation.

If I understand your comment correctly, that seems to be a commonly held view, just put differently.

Lol I mean commonly by the responses on this thread...

Shermana

Heretic
There needs to be a thread regarding the trinity concept without the obfuscation. It's pretty much one way or the other as I understand it, without the trinity you are left with multiple gods.....if you can explain otherwise I'm open to another idea.

We have LOTS of threads on the Trinity on this forum where practically each and every issue is discussed (and every Trinity argument gets soundly debunked and ripped apart). I've even 1x1ed on the subject twice. Care for some links? Or you can start a new one, I always love a good Trinity thread.

As for "multiple gods", the Hebrew text does in fact, indisputably refer to Angels as "gods" and calls THE god, the god of the gods (and articulates the Father as THE god for a reason), and there's argument that the text itself was even changed later such as with the case of the Septuagint version of Deuteronomy 32:8 to get around what was originally a Henotheistic theology. To acknowledge the existence of other gods is not the same as serving them. This as well has been extensively discussed.

F0uad

Yes. In Hebrew the stem El- comes from the same proto-Semitic word which gave the Arabic Allah and Ellah in Aramaic. The term Allah was used by Palestinian Christians and Jews well before Islam came.

Similarly, Islam accepts that at the time of their original revelations, the Tawrah and Gospel of Jesus (which is not the same as the Gospels of today) were entirely valid revelations. Why would this be a teaching of Islam if the God of those books and scriptures was not the one of all three religions?

Allah was also used by Pagans it was there supreme-god (God of the lesser gods).

We belief that all prophets and messengers (peace be upon them) named god Allah(swt) we also further belief that Abraham and hes son Ishmael (peace be upon them) went to Arabia to build the Kaba where they taught people monotheism and the name ''Allah''. So when Mohammed(saws) came the name already existed.

We have something called Tahweed(One-ness of god) and it goes as following:

In the name Of Allah, The most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

Say, Allah is One,
Allah The Everlasting, The Eternal,
He has not given birth and was not born,
And no one is comparable to Him

Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth……….. Light upon Light! And Allah guides to His Light whom He will.

Muslims acknowledge that Allah is the Creator, and He is the only One capable of giving life or taking it. All things are subject to Allah’s Will. In the Qur’an, Allah tells us: "Allah created all things and He is the agent on which all things depend." (Az-Zumar 39:62); and, "Allah created you and whatever you do." (As-Saffat 37:96)

Understanding that Allah is the only Supreme Being means denying the existence of any other god. Allah has no partners, and the Qur'an rejects the concept of the trinity: "They do blaspheme who say, 'God is the third of three,' for there is no god except One God." (Al-Ma'idah 5:73)

Since Allah is the only God, only He is worthy of worship. In Islam, there is no such thing as an intercessor or intermediary. Each Muslim develops his or her own personal relationship with Allah by praying directly to Him and through other acts of worship such as giving to charity, reading the Holy Qur’an, and making hajj. Worship should be accompanied by full submission and obedience to Allah.

There are also 99 Attributes that can be found in the Islamic scriptures. Allah is unique in being called by these attributes. Allah states in the Qur’an: "There is nothing like Him." (Ash-Shura 42:11); and, "And never has there been anyone coequal with Him." (Al-Ikhlas 112:4).

The greatest sin in Islam is to engage in practices which contradict or compromise tawheed. This direct or indirect association of partners with Allah is referred to as shirk.

Shirk can take many forms. Praying to idols, praying to saints or prophets, practicing magic, fortune telling, believing in superstitions, and believing that amulets protect one from harm are all examples of actions which contradict the Oneness of Allah.
Associating is the same as believing that God's nature is three or that God is three or that there are three persons and these three persons are one god what logical speaking makes him three.

Shermana

Heretic
Fouad, from what I understand, the general concensus is that "Allah" comes from "Al-Elah", and simply means "The god" just like "Ton Theon" would. From what source do you get that he was "Named" Allah?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
@ JayJayDee

If you didn't have the trinity, that's when you would have multiple gods...if you believe in the divinity of Jesus.

I would have to define 'the divinity of Christ'. You see I believe that Jesus was divine in his nature but I do not believe that he is or was part of a three headed trinity.
The Jews have no belief in a triune god and neither do the Muslims. Both are Abrahamic in origin.
Paganism on the other hand is full of them.....

This is one site that has a pretty comprehensive rundown....
Rome Adopted "The Trinity" From The Pagans Rome Adopted… | Disappointed_and_Disillusioned on Xanga

Christ never said he was part of a godhead. Catholicism developed that doctrine after they had well and truly apostatized from the teachings of Christ. :(

BruceDLimber

IOV thhere is only one God, with many different names in the various languages and cultures, Who is responsible for the existence of all the great religions!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Flankerl

No i dont believe that these three(four if you count the Bahai and five if you count the mormons) religions refer to the same deity. The complete changing of the whole idea over and over again pretty much proves this.

I believe there is only one god, but that doesnt mean that everyone prays to him.

The term Allah was used by Palestinian Christians and Jews well before Islam came.

No because those people werent arab and obviously didnt speak arabic.

Read up on the islamic conquests and the arabisation of the middle east and northern africa.

Regards History

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The term Allah was used by Palestinian Christians and Jews well before Islam came.

From Wiki ...
The term Allāh is derived from a contraction of the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ʾilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the [sole] deity, God" (ὁ θεὸς μόνος, ho theos monos).[8] Cognates of the name "Allāh" exist in other Semitic languages, including Hebrew and Aramaic.[9] Biblical Hebrew mostly uses the plural form (but functional singular) Elohim. The corresponding Aramaic form is ʼĔlāhā ܐܠܗܐ in Biblical Aramaic and ʼAlâhâ ܐܲܠܵܗܵܐ in Syriac as used by the Assyrian Church, both meaning simply "God".[10] In the Sikh scriptures, Guru Granth Sahib, the term Allah (Punjabi: ਅਲਹੁ) is used 37 times.[11]
The name was previously used by pagan Meccans as a reference to a creator deity, possibly the supreme deity in pre-Islamic Arabia. The concepts associated with the term Allah (as a deity) differ among religious traditions. In pre-Islamic Arabia amongst pagan Arabs, Allah was not considered the sole divinity, having associates and companions, sons and daughters–a concept that was deleted under the process of Islamization. In Islam, the name Allah is the supreme and all-comprehensive divine name, and all other divine names are believed to refer back to Allah. Allah is unique, the only Deity, creator of the universe and omnipotent. Arab Christians today use terms such as Allāh al-ʾAb (الله الأب, "God the Father") to distinguish their usage from Muslim usage. There are both similarities and differences between the concept of God as portrayed in the Qur'an and the Hebrew Bible. It has also been applied to certain living human beings as personifications of the term and concept.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
No becausebu those people werent arab and obviously didnt speak arabic.

Read up on the islamic conquests and the arabisation of the middle east and northern africa.

Regards History

It's nothing to do with Arabic- the word Allah or Ellah appears in many Semitic languages and is related to Hebrew's name of El and Aramaic's Allaw. It's a thing called linguistics, and has nothing to do with Islam.

Flankerl

Again: There was no arabic outside of the arabian peninsula prior to the islamic conquests save for some arabian merchants.

Allah is arabic.
ʼĔlāhā isnt.
ʼAlâhâ isnt either.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Again: There was no arabic outside of the arabian peninsula prior to the islamic conquests save for some arabian merchants.

Allah is arabic.
ʼĔlāhā isnt.
ʼAlâhâ isnt either.

Thanks. That's probably where most of the confusion is, the words look interchangeable, at a glance they seem interchangeable

L'Shalom

Dingbat

No i dont believe that these three(four if you count the Bahai and five if you count the mormons) religions refer to the same deity. The complete changing of the whole idea over and over again pretty much proves this.

I believe there is only one god, but that doesnt mean that everyone prays to him.

Regards History

Sweet Christian exceptionalism mixed with Judaism.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The Godhead of the Father & Son is the deity of real Christians - the Few. Check out 1 John 2:18-25
So which of the tens of thousands of groups of Christians are the Scottish ones?

The god of the Christian Religion, Judaism and Islam is Satan the Devil.
You have forgotten the scriptural reference that supports this particular claim.
I am sure it was merely an over site, so would you please be so kind as to present one?
thank you.