• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the hijab unnecessary?

Syphros

Errmm... You what now?
I have a few points to make about this. Hijab as a political icon shows the intent of muslims to prevent integration in a western country. However, they expect our women to wear hijab when we visit their country.

I would in fact argue that Muslim women are deceived by the males in Islam. I see the hijab as oppressive to women who dress beautifully in private.

I believe the men of Islam should cut women some slack, rather than being so possessive of their wifes (despite the likes of Peace who maintain that they do have rights in theory).

One final point, from personal experience, I find the mysterious nature of a woman in hijab very attractive. I am sure many others also find mysterious women attractive. Maybe not... I do not see hijab as fulfilling the purpose it was designed for.

The gesture of only showing yourself to one person offered by the hijab and niqab is a gesture that many people (not including myself) don't respect today. It seems rather outdated to be relevant in the 21st century.

Fatihah

I have a few points to make about this. Hijab as a political icon shows the intent of muslims to prevent integration in a western country. However, they expect our women to wear hijab when we visit their country.

I would in fact argue that Muslim women are deceived by the males in Islam. I see the hijab as oppressive to women who dress beautifully in private.

I believe the men of Islam should cut women some slack, rather than being so possessive of their wifes (despite the likes of Peace who maintain that they do have rights in theory).

One final point, from personal experience, I find the mysterious nature of a woman in hijab very attractive. I am sure many others also find mysterious women attractive. Maybe not... I do not see hijab as fulfilling the purpose it was designed for.

The gesture of only showing yourself to one person offered by the hijab and niqab is a gesture that many people (not including myself) don't respect today. It seems rather outdated to be relevant in the 21st century.

Response: The purpose of hijab is to protect a woman's modesty. And like there are many people who may find the hijab oppressive, there are many more who find the idea of no hijab and teaching such as degrading as well.

Bloomdido

Response: The purpose of hijab is to protect a woman's modesty. And like there are many people who may find the hijab oppressive, there are many more who find the idea of no hijab and teaching such as degrading as well.

Best not mention honour killings or adultery courts then if the muslim male's role is to protect women. At least women in Afghanistan can go on the 'no sex diet' now. That must be progress.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

How does wearing a rag on ones head protect modesty, and how is it degrading not having a rag on ones head? It's goofy nonsense.

Fatihah

How does wearing a rag on ones head protect modesty, and how is it degrading not having a rag on ones head? It's goofy nonsense.

Response: Wearing rags on your head doesn't protect modesty, nor does not wearing one not protect it. Yes, it is nonsense.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Holy crap!!!

We finally agree on something!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Holy crap!!!

We finally agree on something!!
Read carefully, my friend, Fatihah was agreeing that wearing a rag on ones head is nonsense. He didn't say so about wearing the hijab. Ergo, the hijab is not a rag.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Read carefully, my friend, Fatihah was agreeing that wearing a rag on ones head is nonsense. He didn't say so about wearing the hijab. Ergo, the hijab is not a rag.
perhaps it is the PBJ I had earlier making me dense...

What are you talking about?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Best not mention honour killings or adultery courts then if the muslim male's role is to protect women. At least women in Afghanistan can go on the 'no sex diet' now. That must be progress.
What does this have to do with the thread?

Bismillah

Submit
The Hijab is something that developed from the regimented Arabian society, not Islam. It is not compulsory for Muslim women to wear the Hijab. Rather, women have to ensure that they are dressed modestly in public. What constitutes as modest depends largely on society and personal views.

Sahar

And what can us, Muslim women, do about this?! Taking off our hijab?!
What I wear is my own business, and I can't be more careless about what other people think about this.
If you viewed "my mysteriousness" as attractive, actually I wouldn't mind. ;) LOL

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Due to the argumentitive nature of the OP this thread has been moved to Religious Debates.

ThisisZAK

Why don't say the same thing about the nuns? why is this treated defferently? why is the west applying an ugly double standard?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hi Zak,i get the real Islam from your point of view but there are many differing points of view concerning Islam,for example Wahabi,Baqiriyah,Hashimiya there are many more just like all Abrahmic religions the hand has many fingers.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Why don't say the same thing about the nuns? why is this treated defferently? why is the west applying an ugly double standard?
Last I check Nuns are not day-to-day people. They are part of the Catholic church are live there lives in it. It is part of being a Nun, but everyday Catholic women do not ware Habits like the Nuns do.
But in my understanding the Hijab is something the every day Muslim women wares. There is a difference.
And I don't see how this is the West applying an Ugly Double Standard. That is a BIG generalization based on what one poster has said his views on it are.
I would think next time don't Generalize the West based on what one person says.

.lava

Veteran Member

yes, it is necessary for the ones who want to wear it. it is command of God, not a symbol to show non-Muslims we are not like them.