• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Quran Superior?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Whose "theory" is that and why is that substantiated? Just curious.

They're not very strong theories. There are other versions of the Quran which have been discovered. Scraps of the discarded Quran verses which don't match entirely. It could be they were errors which were discarded... or not. You can look them up for yourself if you're interested. The point is, a Muslim's arguments against the Torah are hypocritical. That's all I'll say about it. You can look for yourself.

Tomef

Whose "theory" is that and why is that substantiated? Just curious.
There’s nothing theoretical or even controversial about it. It is well documented in Islamic literature that Uthman set about collecting all the various writings purporting to be the ‘real’ teachings of Mohammed knocking about at the time, decided which the ‘right’ ones were, and had the rest burned. Any controversy, where it exists, is over how legit this process was.

There are other controversies, e.g not that long ago a well-regarded scholar of the Quran and other ancient texts (Gerd R Puin) was banned from viewing certain codices in certain countries, e.g. Yemen, because he raised questions about the kind of thing scholars of the bible write books about, inconsistencies in arrangements of the text, the inclusion of pre-Islamic narrative passages, indications of changes in authorship and so on.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The point is, a Muslim's arguments against the Torah are hypocritical.
How so? I've stated the problems I have with the Torah and Tanakh is that it dishonors some of God's chosen and exalts some of them, there is a whole contradicting theme in this regard.

Other problems I have, is that I believe God never allowed or condoned slavery, and so believe Ismail (a) is son of Sarah (a) and don't believe Abraham (a) had a slave that he had Ismail (a) in nor that she was exiled due to jealousy of Sarah (a) who is too kind of a soul for such things.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Sorry. The arguments from Muslims as described in the OP.

I have with the Torah and Tanakh is that it dishonors some of God's chosen and exalts some of them

In the Torah there is one and only one which is perfect. None of the others are perfect, they're human. Chosen doesn't mean better than anyone else. Chosen could mean worse than everyone with an important lesson to teach from their poor example.

Maninthemiddle

Muslims think the Quran hasn’t lost its purity from translations like the Torah and the Gospel and therefore is superior and is the infallible and uncorrupted word of God…

…but wasn’t it written by men? So to say it’s the literal word of a God is out of touch I think.
There were many Qurans, each quite different but they were all destroyed and one kept.
Even this one has changed.
They will of coarse deny this

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Muslims think the Quran hasn’t lost its purity from translations like the Torah and the Gospel and therefore is superior and is the infallible and uncorrupted word of God…

…but wasn’t it written by men? So to say it’s the literal word of a God is out of touch I think.
It is every bit as useful as the Torah & Bible.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Is punarbhava or punarjeeva "truth" or false? Because Christianity, Judaism and Islam opposes it but Hinduism embraces it. So are they in conflict or are they all absolute truth?
I have no problem with that at all. The scriptures teach the truth. It’s how we understand them. I understand that concept that it means we take on a new body after death but a spiritual one. And that depending on the life we led here we could, in the next life, have the station of a saint or a dog or tree. Baha’is, like Christians do, also believe in the reincarnation of the qualities. When Christians questioned Christ that Elijah must first return, He mentioned that he already returned in the person of John the Baptist but John denied being Elijah. Christ referred to the return of the spiritual qualities of Elijah in John not the exact same personality.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It is well documented in Islamic literature that Uthman set about collecting all the various writings purporting to be the ‘real’ teachings of Mohammed knocking about at the time,
So you believe in ahadith right?

Alright. Have read this same hadith properly? I mean to believe it was historical fact, you would have read it properly correct? It does not say what you say mate. Read it again and come back.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have no problem with that at all. The scriptures teach the truth. It’s how we understand them. I understand that concept that it means we take on a new body after death but a spiritual one. And that depending on the life we led here we could, in the next life, have the station of a saint or a dog or tree. Baha’is, like Christians do, also believe in the reincarnation of the qualities. When Christians questioned Christ that Elijah must first return, He mentioned that he already returned in the person of John the Baptist but John denied being Elijah. Christ referred to the return of the spiritual qualities of Elijah in John not the exact same personality.
You did not answer the question.

Here it is again.

"Is punarbhava or punarjeeva "truth" or false? Because Christianity, Judaism and Islam opposes it but Hinduism embraces it. So are they in conflict or are they all absolute truth?"

Don't avoid it. Don't brush it off saying "I have no problem with it". That's not an answer. I have showed a simple and obvious contradiction which h one cannot reconcile. Tell me how exactly you do.

Madsaac

The bible was written by men as well, so any literal word in the bible is out of touch. So no god stuff, just men stuff.

Both books are out of touch, are any part of them written by a women for starters?