• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any reason to reject the science of evolution, other than religious beliefs?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Please explain what you mean by "mindless" - are you trying to suggest that atoms or subatomic particles are not mindless? Are you trying to suggest that amino acids are not mindless? How about proteins, hormones, enzymes, etc? What about things like viruses, bacteria, protista?
Yes, of course these things are mindless.

But I was referencing the evolutionary mechanisms that have supposedly produced the machines within these diverse life forms, some with unique body plans, that we observe and have discovered in rock.

And most of the fossilized body plans we have found, if you go back to the first ones discovered, ie., lowest in the strata, their precursors seem to “disappear.”

That was Stephen Jay Gould’s & Niles Eldridge’s biggest complaint: they lamented ‘the fossil evidence showing gradual change just isn’t there.”

I’m not making this up. It’s there for you and anyone else to research.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Howdy, Hockeycowboy.
Hey, my friend.
If it's not personal, what does that name mean to you? Are you a cowboy? Do you play hockey?
No special meaning…. When my boy was younger, we (his mom & I ) would take him to hockey games in our hometown. I’m over 6’2”, & I’d wear a cowboy hat, boots, and a heavy-duty duster. My wife & son loved that imposing look! I guess I did, too. (It would turn heads. We didn’t live anywhere near Texas.) One time a fight broke out at the concession stand, but when I walked up, they stopped! Kid you not. Lol.

I’ve got a thick grey beard now and a few more pounds; I probably look even more intimidating! Haven’t worn the Duster in years, but occasionally a hat & boots.

I’ve gotten out of hockey, too. But my son still enjoys it; takes his family to games.
And is learning to be a goalie, lol. His wife is worried he’s gonna break his neck or something… he almost 30.

Regarding your comment, it happens every day. The mindless mechanisms have names like ribosomes, mitochondria, and enzymes. They manufacture new cells mindlessly.
Yes, you’re right.
You probably mean that the first of these mindless machines - the first cells - could not have assembled themselves,
Exactly, sort of (Tautology, anyone? Lol). I meant the first ones were built . Sorry for not being clearer. Yes, the machines are mindless (which is not what I meant, either); however so are the simplest of ancient hand tools, but even they are found to have been designed.
…but if so, what's your reason for concluding that? There seem to be only two logical possibilities: intelligent design for the first life in the universe (or the first life on earth if you prefer) or blind, naturalistic mechanisms. How did you rule one of those in and the other out? It seems like a hunch or intuition.
Because, even with all the on-going observations, and the experiments with evolution— the LTEE, Drosophila, etc. — which were and are geared toward fast-tracking evolutionary mechanisms, we have observed no significantly new, shall we say, energy-conservation methods established to benefit the entire organism. Where they have gained fitness in one area, the same organism lost fitness in another.
These evo. mechanisms can only influence an organism’s current genetic content, not build new genes. Any evidence to the contrary?
Now, I see where organisms, due to these changes, have given rise to new species, but they will stay within their respective Family(?) / Order(?) taxa.

I think the currently observed evidence suggests that the limit of phenotypic diversity is capped at the Family (maybe Order) level, and will always stay within those set parameters. Ie., birds will never “gradually” replace feathers with hair.

I also have a hunch, but that doesn't allow me to rule either of these possibilities in or out. They both remain on my list for candidate causes of the first life.
Good to know!
If I invoke an intelligent designer to explain why cells exist because I see them as too complex to exist undesigned, then I have to apply the same thinking to it. How did it come to exist? Presumably, such an entity is even more complex than a cell. This just makes my explanation more complex, not less, and provides an answer for why cells exist, but not for why gods exist.
First of all, I think it’s one Creator. Because all living things exhibit the same building blocks: all are carbon-based, and all have the same DNA structure, with the same 4 nucleotides.
(You see, this evidence that science uses to claim common ancestry, ie., life’s structural similarities, is the same evidence to support there being one Creator.)

Second, science has discovered how something can exist eternally: energy, which can change from one form to another.
And when we’ve discovered all forms of energy & their properties, we can discuss God’s existence further.

Speaking of “forms of energy”, apparently unknown at this time, what do you make of certain individuals on here, that detail their interactions with invisible spirit entities?
Do you just dismiss it?
I don’t. (Some (most?) people’s experiences, I do…but not all.)
Incidents such as these, which thru out history have been more numerous than one could count, bolster my view that there’s more than just natural methodologies at work in this world.

Although I disagree with many as to the source behind these incidents (and I’d never purposefully get involved), I appreciate their recording efforts & scientific approach to their experiences.

What’s your opinion?

Last edited:

LeftyLen

In Scripture, where human life is concerned, we find the method The Creator used was to form or fashion man from the already existing ground - Gen. 2:7
Man did Not come to life until after The Creator breathed the ' breath of life ' into life-less Adam, then Man became a living person
non sequitor

LeftyLen

There are also religious science believers, who, despite the mountain of evidence, accept science as an infallible sort of deity. It never occurs to them that, like everything in the world, science is corrupted by money and politics.
science is a tool, nothing more.

anotherneil

Creation was first of the invisible spirit realm of existence
Then, the creation of the material physical realm came into existence
Not creationism
ALL of the six (6) creative days are time periods of unknown lengths or even of differing lengths of time
Fossils did Not create themselves. Fossil records do Not prove fossils were Not created
Even if God were to use some sort of evolution in some lower life forms He did Not do that where mankind aka human life is concerned
God fashioned or formed Man from the already existing created ground - Genesis 2:7 - No evolution involved with human life

Whatever a person puts as ' first priority in one's life' that is: worship ( whether a person considers oneself as religious or not )
This is not science; it's not testable & falsifiable. This is also an unwillingness to communicate, and to instead engage in religion-speak.

anotherneil

There are also religious science believers, who, despite the mountain of evidence, accept science as an infallible sort of deity.
I agree - it's scientism.

It never occurs to them that, like everything in the world, science is corrupted by money and politics.
In at least some cases this is true, but how does it affect the science of evolution? What's the incentive by "money and politics" for a supposedly false narrative regarding the idea that organisms are continuously evolving, adapting, going through a process of natural selection, etc?

If anything I would say that there's a disincentive for "money and politics" to mess with such findings, discoveries, and knowledge pertaining to evolution, since it's beneficial to medicine.

anotherneil

Yes, of course these things are mindless.
Please back up this assertion; I don't subscribe to unfounded claims.

But I was referencing the evolutionary mechanisms that have supposedly produced the machines within these diverse life forms, some with unique body plans, that we observe and have discovered in rock.
Yes, I got that the first time - thanks.

And most of the fossilized body plans we have found, if you go back to the first ones discovered, ie., lowest in the strata, their precursors seem to “disappear.”
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to single-celled organisms?

I don't know what the situation is beyond that (I'm not an expert on fossils); perhaps there are limits on what the fossil record can "capture" and preserve; perhaps natural forces easily destroy them; perhaps they haven't been found, yet; perhaps they're there but scientists don't know how to recognize their existence.

I'm just as curious about this as you are, maybe even more curious; I think it would be nice to find a way to resolve this issue, but for all I know it could already have been resolved by geologists, paleontologists, biologists, scientists who specialize in organic chemistry, or whatever.

That was Stephen Jay Gould’s & Niles Eldridge’s biggest complaint: they lamented ‘the fossil evidence showing gradual change just isn’t there.”

I’m not making this up. It’s there for you and anyone else to research.
How gradual does it have to be? Do you know that even right now, your own DNA is continuously changing throughout your lifetime? Even the similarities in DNA of identical twins diverges over time: https://www.researchgate.net/figure...The-yellow-areas-are-common-to_fig2_292836821

I see no reason to expect the fossil record to preserve a specimen or sample of every generation of every species; I would expect the preservation odds of something like this to be very small. I also don't expect the fossil record to preserve a directly connected lineage of ancestor and descendant; when we do find a rough progression from one evolutionary stage to the next-nearest one that we find, it's probably this wild mesh of closely related organisms that are close enough to see an approximate progression.

If I show you an image of a car parked in a garage, another image of that same car parked out on the street, then another image of it driving on the freeway, then another one of it in another state, would you conjecture that it magically disappeared from one location and re-appeared in the next location? Obviously (I think) you wouldn't; you know that these photographs were only taken at certain points in time, and that timespan between one point and the next could vary between 1 minute to several years.

It's the same type of idea with the fossil record, e.g. a certain species is preserved, then maybe 1,000 generations later, a descendant of that preserved species, or descendant of a very close relative of that species is preserved, without any specimens from within that 1,000-generation span being preserved. There's a very small, gradual and continuous change from one generation to the next. The fossil record probably only shows a discrete and large change in progression, so you end up with this notion that "showing gradual change just isn't there" in the fossil evidence. The bigger picture of the overall fossil record puts things into perspective.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There are religious believers who are going to be set in their ways & if that means rejecting the science of evolution, then it's probably a lost cause. I don't think there's any point in trying to change their minds, so I'm not interested in that.

I am, however, interested in finding out if there's a reason not based in any way on religious beliefs for rejecting the science of evolution. Is there any other reason?
There is a movement called the "Decolonize Science" movement. It doesn't specifically address Evolution but western sciences altogether. To me: it sounds like people who don't know what Science is have decided that it is an oppressive or coercive device. There are also some underlying assumptions about colonialism in its specific political view of History, and I only mention it because you ask.

There are numerous people who do not ever study Evolution. There is a lot of information, and without a specific interest in the topic it may be tedious to learn all of its layers. Not learning about it is the same as not understanding it, and so it becomes a religious belief all by itself. It becomes a belief in what other people believe, akin to believing the traditions of one's tribe. Its can become something on TV that you hear about or that you are given many assurances of from other people.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because, even with all the on-going observations, and the experiments with evolution— the LTEE, Drosophila, etc. — which were and are geared toward fast-tracking evolutionary mechanisms, we have observed no significantly new, shall we say, energy-conservation methods established to benefit the entire organism. Where they have gained fitness in one area, the same organism lost fitness in another.
These evo. mechanisms can only influence an organism’s current genetic content, not build new genes. Any evidence to the contrary?
Now, I see where organisms, due to these changes, have given rise to new species, but they will stay within their respective Family(?) / Order(?) taxa.

I think the currently observed evidence suggests that the limit of phenotypic diversity is capped at the Family (maybe Order) level, and will always stay within those set parameters. Ie., birds will never “gradually” replace feathers with hair.
I wrote, "You probably mean that the first of these mindless machines - the first cells - could not have assembled themselves."

"but if so, what's your reason for concluding that? There seem to be only two logical possibilities: intelligent design for the first life in the universe (or the first life on earth if you prefer) or blind, naturalistic mechanisms. How did you rule one of those in and the other out? It seems like a hunch or intuition"

I don't see an answer to my question there? How did you rule out naturalistic abiogenesis, the alternative to creationism. Why don't you consider both logically possible and neither ruled in or out?
First of all, I think it’s one Creator. Because all living things exhibit the same building blocks: all are carbon-based, and all have the same DNA structure, with the same 4 nucleotides.
(You see, this evidence that science uses to claim common ancestry, ie., life’s structural similarities, is the same evidence to support there being one Creator.)

Second, science has discovered how something can exist eternally: energy, which can change from one form to another.
And when we’ve discovered all forms of energy & their properties, we can discuss God’s existence further.
I wrote, "If I invoke an intelligent designer to explain why cells exist because I see them as too complex to exist undesigned, then I have to apply the same thinking to it. How did it come to exist? Presumably, such an entity is even more complex than a cell. This just makes my explanation more complex, not less, and provides an answer for why cells exist, but not for why gods exist"

I don't see your explanation for why a god exists. If you say that you don't need one, then why assert that nature needs help to exist or generate living cells?

These first two issues illustrate two common creationist logical errors. There are no good answers for ether of my questions to you. There is no basis for ruling out abiogenesis nor alleging that nature needs an intelligent designer to exist but that that intelligent designer doesn't. They're both informal fallacies, the first non sequitur (you've gone one step too many in your analysis by concluding an intelligent designer. You've taken a leap of faith, which breaks the chain of reasoning, after which no other conclusion is sound.

And the second is special pleading, or unjustified double standard. Double standards can be justified, as when adults are allowed to drive but not minors, or unjustified, as when men are allowed to drive but not women. You've separate standards for nature and the god you say created it. You say that nature and cells need an intelligent creator, but an intelligent creator doesn't need any source.

I understand why you do that. That's how the theology you've been taught is presented. It's how it was presented to me decades ago, and I didn't question it then, either.

But I've progressed in my education and critical thinking skills since then, and now I see the problem with that idea. I'm trying to show it to you. I don't expect you to change your opinions, nor would I want you to do that at this stage in your life.

But maybe you can understand the argument and why a critical thinker would reject the special pleading involved in requiring of nature what you don't require of your god and giving no reason for that.

Other apologists will say things such as the rules of reason don't apply to gods, but that's also special pleading.
Speaking of “forms of energy”, apparently unknown at this time, what do you make of certain individuals on here, that detail their interactions with invisible spirit entities? Do you just dismiss it?
Not entirely. One poster, @Sgt. Pepper , seems intelligent, honest, and sincere, but I don't accept that she is correct. Neither do I dismiss her claims. I'm agnostic regarding them.

And even if she is correct, I don't see the relevance in my life. I'm fine with the possibility that spirits exist, and I don't know that.
There are also religious science believers, who, despite the mountain of evidence, accept science as an infallible sort of deity.
The critically thinking empiricist has no need for religion or deities. What most of us say about science and empiricism in general is that it is the only known path to knowledge, knowledge being the collection of demonstrably correct ideas that can be used to predict outcomes successfully, not that it can answer all questions. We also say that religion and belief by faith answers no questions, so, even though science cannot answer everything, what it cannot answer cannot be answered. Unfalsifiable claims about gods and magic aren't meaningful answers, and we can't use false or unfalsifiable ones.
It never occurs to them that, like everything in the world, science is corrupted by money and politics.
Disagree. Some scientists might be, and certainly many outside of science using science are corruptly, but the enterprise of science is pure.

Your religion has done you a disservice teaching you those things in defense of its unscientific dicta contradicted by science. They're happy to deceive you if it serves them. Some might consider that selfish and immoral.

In the meantime, ...

"You stare into your high-definition plasma screen monitor, type into your cordless keyboard then hit enter, which causes your computer to convert all that visual data into a binary signal that's processed by millions of precise circuits. This is then converted to a frequency modulated signal to reach your wireless router where it is then converted to light waves and sent along a large fiber optics cable to be processed by a supercomputer on a mass server. This sends that bit you typed to a satellite orbiting the earth that was put there through the greatest feats of engineering and science, all so it could go back through a similar pathway to make it all the way here to my computer monitor 15,000 miles away from you just so you could say, "Science is all a bunch of manmade hogwash."- anon.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Not entirely. One poster, @Sgt. Pepper , seems intelligent, honest, and sincere, but I don't accept that she is correct. Neither do I dismiss her claims. I'm agnostic regarding them.

And even if she is correct, I don't see the relevance in my life. I'm fine with the possibility that spirits exist, and I don't know that.

It is fine with me if you believe me, and it is also fine with me if you don't. I don't feel like it's my responsibility to convince you or anyone else. I'd like to repost what I previously wrote on a similar topic in another thread (referred to here) because I think what I said may also be relevant to this discussion.

My previous post:

Some people in this thread appear to be under the impression that I care about what they think of my mediumship. It appears they are either unaware of what I've already said on this subject, have forgotten it, or are deliberately ignoring it. Therefore, I thought it necessary to reiterate my previous statements about this dilemma in order to make it abundantly clear that it makes no difference to me what others think of my mediumship, my years of experience as a medium and seasoned paranormal investigator, or my beliefs as a spiritualist, Wiccan, and Druid. I will further explain why it makes no difference to me.

First, I am not responsible, either directly or indirectly, to convince others that my mediumship and my lifelong experiences with it are real. It is also not my responsibility to convince others that the paranormal is real (e.g., ghosts, hauntings, crytids, and UFOs). Second, I mean no offense when I say this, but it doesn't matter to me if some people choose not to believe that my personal experiences as a medium are real or that the paranormal in general is real.

It doesn't matter to me, because their skepticism doesn't negate my lifelong experiences with encountering spirits. The fact is, other genuine mediums, people I've given readings to, and other paranormal investigators who have recorded some of my interactions with spirits have validated my experiences as a medium (for a more detailed explanation, see my previous post here). Therefore, I have no interest in debating the paranormal or convincing others that it is real. I've never once tried to persuade any skeptics that I converse with online or in person to believe in the paranormal, and I don't intend to start now. I just let it happen naturally. Third, no amount of preaching by Christians quoting a few scriptures and stating their religious beliefs about spirits, or the continued efforts to lecture me or others, will ever convince me that the earthbound human spirits with whom I interact and communicate are demons.

I no longer believe in such things (as I explained in my previous post here). Furthermore, I'd like to make it abundantly clear that any Christian (no matter their church affiliation) will never convince me that their church's doctrines and its interpretation of the Bible regarding the afterlife are absolutely correct. I've read the Bible cover to cover and studied it many times, so I am well versed in it. As a result, I believe that its depictions of the afterlife are not only inaccurate and misleading, but that the Bible is also chock full of contradictions, and that the stories about Jesus are either based on hearsay, embellished tales, or copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that predate both the Bible and Christianity. Finally, I've stated in numerous other threads that I don't share my lifelong experiences in an attempt to persuade others to believe in the paranormal. As far as I'm concerned, it's entirely up to those who read my posts to decide whether they believe me or not. So, I've made my peace on this matter, and I'm not going to repeat myself or debate with anyone about what I've written in this post. If others disagree with what I've said in this post, then it's their personal issue, not mine.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
To me the Bible is a tool, with something more
I am glad I learned the Bible from Jehovah's Witnesses. Also in reference to witchcraft. And what happens when we die.
Deuteronomy 18 NLT has a section about refraining from involving oneself in spiritistic practices which Moses gave to the Jews. (Something I never really knew about before I studied...):

“When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there. 10For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering.a And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, 11or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. 12Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD. It is because the other nations have done these detestable things that the LORD your God will drive them out ahead of you. 13But you must be blameless before the LORD your God. 14The nations you are about to displace consult sorcerers and fortune-tellers, but the LORD your God forbids you to do such things.”

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
To me the Bible is a tool, with something more
What I find interesting is what someone mentioned here also, I can;'t remember who but when I come across it I will say. It's about memory and our brains. It does seem phenomenal that we (our brains) have memory. There's more to that, but I'll leave it at that for now.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......................................................................................................................................................
If anything I would say that there's a disincentive for "money and politics" to mess with such findings, discoveries, and knowledge pertaining to evolution, since it's beneficial to medicine.
....or knowledge pertaining to already created nature

LeftyLen

I am glad I learned the Bible from Jehovah's Witnesses. Also in reference to witchcraft. And what happens when we die.
Deuteronomy 18 NLT has a section about refraining from involving oneself in spiritistic practices which Moses gave to the Jews. (Something I never really knew about before I studied...):

“When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there. 10For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering.a And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, 11or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. 12Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD. It is because the other nations have done these detestable things that the LORD your God will drive them out ahead of you. 13But you must be blameless before the LORD your God. 14The nations you are about to displace consult sorcerers and fortune-tellers, but the LORD your God forbids you to do such things.”

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
I am, however, interested in finding out if there's a reason not based in any way on religious beliefs for rejecting the science of evolution. Is there any other reason?
If you'd indulge me I have a few questions...
1) How do you define a religious belief
2) What kind of evolution are you asking about?
3) In what way do you understand that science can validate evolution?
4) Do you think religion must reject evolution?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
But maybe you can understand the argument and why a critical thinker would reject the special pleading involved in requiring of nature what you don't require of your god and giving no reason for that.
I see evidence that it takes thinking to create informative structures, by which I mean functional performance of these structures’ parts.

I see no evidence that thoughtless, unthinking natural mechanisms can create novel parts, and then arrange them to perform novel functions.

If you think so, why don’t we see it occurring, to the required degree which could explain life’s diversity?

To me, that’s not critical thinking. It seems it’s critical hoping.

I don’t want to put you on the spot, but I noticed you didn’t address the metaphysical occurrences some on here have detailed. Two-way conversations and such.
That’s evidence too, really.

anotherneil

If you'd indulge me I have a few questions...
1) How do you define a religious belief
In the context of this thread, having doctrine from religion to supercede any information, truth, facts, or knowledge pertaining to science, in place of it - typically by taking religious texts too literally.

2) What kind of evolution are you asking about?
Evolution of organisms, as in the context of biology and geology (or paleontology).

3) In what way do you understand that science can validate evolution?
Science can (not only can, but actually has achieved this) by applying it for useful & beneficial purposes (e.g. to develop medicine or treatments for illnesses).

4) Do you think religion must reject evolution?
No; the rejection of evolution by religion only seems to happen in cases where people take their religious texts too literally.