• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Proof God Exists????

Midnight Pete

As opposed to saying, "I do not know how all this started. No one does. But I do KNOW that science has been very effective in showing us how things work. And I KNOW that making up myths to cover my ignorance is counter-productive.

And I KNOW that the belief in supernatural religion has been used many times to justify the most atrocious acts. And I KNOW there is NO evidence for any supernatural being or event. So I am unconvinced that any such being(s) or events(s) did or do exist. Nor do I see any evidence that believing in such beings has any worthwhile purpose.

So I don't.:)

I respect your views.

Wotan

I don't get that either, but at least the response wasn't as harsh as I thought it would be. But it's early yet.

"Fools rush in where . . . "

So I'll play the fool and try to get u guys to see from a different POV.:rolleyes:

Imagine the puddle is sentient. It thinks about it existence. It notices that where it sits is perfectly designed to accommodate it. Despite the fact the puddle has many folds and irregularities this hole is a prefect fit.

Now how did that happen wonders the puddle?

Ah, some vastly Superior power MADE this hole for ME. That's it - gotta be. There is no way this hole could have "just happened." So - God.

Now we looking from a different POV KNOW that puddle fits ANY hole. Its shape is determined by the hole in which it sits. So - no god needed.

So with life forms. They "fit" the hole available to them. We "fit" the earth because we evolved here. The earth wasn't designed for us or anything else. It is what it is.
Life has evolved to fit the earth. And the evidence or this is all around us. Every life form we see "fits" its "hole."

But god had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Midnight Pete

So I'll play the fool and try to get u guys to see from a different POV.:rolleyes:

Imagine the puddle is sentient. It thinks about it existence. It notices that where it sits is perfectly designed to accommodate it. Despite the fact the puddle has many folds and irregularities this hole is a prefect fit.

Ah, some vastly Superior power MADE this hole for ME. That's it - gotta be. There is no way this hole could have "just happened." So - God.

Now we looking from a different POV KNOW that puddle fits ANY hole. Its shape is determined by the hole in which it sits. So - no god needed.

So with life forms. They "fit" the hole available to them. We "fit" the earth because we evolved here. The earth wasn't designed for us or anything else. It is what it is.
Life has evolved to fit the earth. And the evidence or this is all around us. Every life form we see "fits" its "hole."

But god had nothing to do with it

You should really phrase that as opinion.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Is There Proof God Exists????

Go outside and look towards the stars in the sky and just comtemplate what you are seeing. Then consider our own solar system. The distance the earth is from the sun, the distance of the moon from the earth, the spacing of the rest of the planets from each other, the gas giants with their massive gravitational pull that most certainly has kept earth from being struck with more asteroids than it already has.

Consider the gas mixture on our planet that makes life possible. You do know that any unbalance of those gases would make advanced life impossible, right?

All of creation, all of it is set in place in PERFECT harmony. No way it could have happened just by chance, no way. Look at the stars and meditate on that.

Watch this. Four minutes well spent.

[youtube]hDC_NcihiV8[/youtube]
YouTube - :: Douglas Adams: 42.2: The origin of god (puddle's view) ::

MurphtheSurf

Since we're on the subject of fools;

Psalm14
The senseless one has said in his heart:“There is no Jehovah.”They have acted ruinously, they have acted detestably in [their] dealing.There is no one doing good

Sententia

Since we're on the subject of fools;

Psalm14
The senseless one has said in his heart:“There is no Jehovah.”They have acted ruinously, they have acted detestably in [their] dealing.There is no one doing good

Are you accusing them of being a fool or saying you found a book that declares him a fool or reveling in the declaration?

MurphtheSurf

Are you accusing them of being a fool or saying you found a book that declares him a fool or reveling in the declaration?

I'm not accusing anyone of being a fool but the Bible is.
It is he that is accusing all believers of being fools because we are not atheists and think like you.
Do you not see your atheistic hypocrisy?

Wotan

It is he that is accusing all believers of being fools because we are not atheists and think like you.

Could you please SPLAIN that?:confused:

I start out saying I am going to play the fool and rush in where angels fear to tread and somehow I am calling YOU a fool.:facepalm:

Bird123

Being open-minded about the possibilities of things being true is entirely different to trying to prove every possibility false in order to find the correct one.

This is how science works. If something has no means to measure it or quantify it, it is not really worth testing for. If there is no reason whatsoever to assume the existence of something in science, it's existence does not need to be acknowledged. By your logic, we would have to test and disprove every possibility before reaching a conclusion, which is absurd when you think about the near infinite number of possibilities there could be for just about anything. Did this rock form through erosion and time? Well, it probably did, but we would need to disprove all other possibilities - including the notion that it was shaped by magical pixies - before we reach a conclusion. Do you honestly think this is the best means by which to discern the truth?

One of the key principles of science is this: follow where the evidence goes. If the evidence does not lend itself to a particular conclusion, then that conclusion will not be explored. Science is not interested in what is "possibly" true, it's only interested in what is demonstrably true. This is the way it works, and this is what makes it so effective.
Isn't all science started with a belief??? Is your glass half empty or half full??? Do you prove something is true or do you proof something is false. In God's case you are looking for false. Growing up, I was taught the christian religion. When I discovered that it didn't add up, I questioned and searched for the truth. I searched not for proof or disproof of God but for the actual truth regardless of what I discovered. If the world was studying widgets and we discovered someone actually made a widget, wouldn't it be easier for us knowing that a widget actually could be made????? If God exists, then He can be found. Let me tell you so you can make your widget if you choose. God can be found and not as a belief. If anyone wants proof, they must discover on their own. One must be open to the possibilities without assumptions. Yes, there is an awful lot that science doesn't think to research. Scientists do make judgment calls that aren't always right. Diversity saves us all. God gave everyone a different view. By giving so many views, God guaranties mankind a larger picture than any one person can have. One must be willing to look at all the views to see the real picture. The minute we assume that we are right without question,isn't it the moment we become really blind to the truth?? Knowledge always runs deeper. When we discover one thing, it opens doors to more possibilities.

Sententia

?

How does that even address the point I made? I am expressing my belief that the answer matters more to people who look harder for a solution then accepting whatever holy god crap they were told and embrace.

Why?

There are thousands of holy god crap reasons to believe in. Holy god crap believers picked one of the thousands because usually they liked it and it felt right to them.

Which is unscientific nonsense. We can clearly show thousands of people with varying and conflicting points of view that unwaveringly embrace their point of view because they like it and it feels right to them but clearly they all can not be right.

Atheists are normally but do not have to be skeptics. Skeptics are far better sources then faithful zealots.

As far as your point of the bible accusing him of being a fool? I grew up a christian and have read the bible many times and already know the answers to the questions I asked you to answer. Perhaps you should spend more time figuring out the answer for yourself or accept my original point of view that you choose to care more about something else entirely and thus end up sounding like a loon who poorly dodges questions in pathetic attempts to win an argument that hasn't existed since I began posting.

:help:

Last edited: