• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there Really only one True Religion?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Tarasan what if all religions have some level of truth in them? I'm going to argue here, using one verse of the Bible, which is something you should never do, but I'm going to. There's a verse in Ecclesiastes that says to every man is given a time and chance to know the truth before they die. Now we all know the nations didn't have the Torah or the teachings of the Israelites, so how could they know the truth before death? For this verse to be true, their religions would at least have to be somewhat true, true enough that someone following them could come to a conclusion of what truth is. That at least lends some level of legitimacy to other religions.

tarasan

Tarasan what if all religions have some level of truth in them? I'm going to argue here, using one verse of the Bible, which is something you should never do, but I'm going to. There's a verse in Ecclesiastes that says to every man is given a time and chance to know the truth before they die. Now we all know the nations didn't have the Torah or the teachings of the Israelites, so how could they know the truth before death? For this verse to be true, their religions would at least have to be somewhat true, true enough that someone following them could come to a conclusion of what truth is. That at least lends some level of legitimacy to other religions.

your right that is something that you should never do especially whenever I could quote alot more back at you talking about the exclusivism about christianity, although in Romans it talks about that if someone is truely seeking God that he will reviel himself to them.

however this isnt saying that the other religions are right its saying that God is merciful and that ultimately we cannot condem anyone to hell.

but that is it.

Christianity is still the only one true religion, Jesus the only one true saviour, if anyone else is saved it is only due to their searching and Gods mercy not their religion.

If not we get plenty of logical inconstistanties, teaching inconsistances etc, its just absurd.

Rainbow Mage

That's what CS Lewis thought tarasan, what you just said. He used the idea in his Narnia books, when Aslan told the Calormene emmeth, that he would not have found his way to him if he had not been seeking Tash earnestly.

tarasan

That's what CS Lewis thought tarasan, what you just said. He used the idea in his Narnia books, when Aslan told the Calormene emmeth, that he would not have found his way to him if he had not been seeking Tash earnestly.

CS Lewis = awesome

Im ok with agreeing with him.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
There are different paths to similar beliefs. Some are too different to be the same. I say no, there is not just one true religion.

Rainbow Mage

I say no as well enchanted, for many reasons, but I could be wrong. We all could be

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Bruce said:
What I mean is that the religion AS ORIGINALLY REVEALED is legitimate and God-sent!

But the version of Islam that includes things like the idea that Muhammad is the final prophet is the "great religion", not this other version of Islam that you think is the "legitimate" one but that nobody actually follows. I think your original statement was a bit disingenuous.

So sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about! I was referring to religions AS REVEALED, before humans started injecting their own ideas; this includes Islam.

And the idea that Muhammad is the final prophet is only one interpretation of the verse in question: several others exist (which I can state if you like), and as it happens we reject such finalism in any case....

Peace,

Bruce

dogsgod

Yes, there is only one true religion, and it just so happens to be the one that any of you claim to follow.

Wannabe Yogi

Christianity is still the only one true religion, Jesus the only one true saviour, if anyone else is saved it is only due to their searching and Gods mercy not their religion.

This statement might be believable if the Christian Religion had the ability to produce morally superior people. If Christianity was the one true faith there should be some hard and fast proof of that in the lives of believers. (I will leave my faith out of it because of my bias.) Lets take Buddhism as an example. I have spent time with some Buddhist monks that I admire and feel live in a way I see no expression of neurosis. I have yet to meet a christian that comes up to their level. Some nuns from the mother Teresa order seem nice. They seem to be flawed human beings just like most of us.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am sure some Christians some place are equal to the Buddhists, But I see no reason to believe they are better.

The Christian bumper sticker Christians are not perfect but just forgiven. Carries no weight in my world view. In fact I feel this type of thinking should be rejected by any rational person.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I believe that their is ultimately one truth, but not one religion has is right.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about! I was referring to religions AS REVEALED, before humans started injecting their own ideas; this includes Islam.
Here's what I mean: you put forward an inclusive message: something like "I think your religion is God-given, too!"

However, when we look closer, we see it's more like "My interpretation of what your religion is supposed to be is God-given, but what you actually think and believe is a distortion of the truth." IOW, your message is exclusionary, not inclusive.

Danmac

It seems that the hand of one religion that is on the throat of another, cannot be seeking the same heaven.

Wannabe Yogi

however this isnt saying that the other religions are right its saying that God is merciful and that ultimately we cannot condem anyone to hell.

John 10
14"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. (NIV)

Do you know all of Gods sheep in all of his pens ?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend WY,

Do you know all of Gods sheep in all of his pens ?

You have *gods*, *sheep* & *pens*;
Remove *gods*, the sheep and pen too gets removed.
That is what Religion is all about.

Love & rgds

Willowmina

On a journey to the ocean
It seems that the hand of one religion that is on the throat of another, cannot be seeking the same heaven.

We seem to forget that religion is man made not God made:yes:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Willomina,

We seem to forget that religion is man made not God made

Great understanding! [frubals]
The root of all evil is the human mind [thoughts through desires]
and only a still mind is to live and LIFE is always in harmony.

Love & rgds