• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Really Something Wrong with You?

I blame the issues of people dealing with imperfection on television and glamour magazines.

this is actually very accurate. mostly these inadequacies have been instilled in women, about their body image, but that has a tremendous ripple effect into the rest of the culture as well.

a book that tears open this concept is The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. i've never been able to walk past an issue of cosmo without wanting to burn it, ever since i read this book.

Bird123

I blame the issues of people dealing with imperfection on television and glamour magazines.
Very good. I like it. First comes the dreaming and beliefs then comes the discovery of whether it is true or can it be accomplished. Even scientific discoveries started with beliefs however one should never stop at just believing. Truth is all around us. The choice of discovery rests in our own hands. Thanks for your quote.

Bird123

are you kidding me? so just because i dont believe in a god i dont want to learn anything? wow, you're special.
It's not just about God. It's about being open enough to explore all the possibilities regardless of whether we like those possibilities or not. Of course, first one must value truth enough that they take what ever effort is needed to discover it. As far as all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again, I can not argue with this. I find when lessons are not learned they are repeated. The sad part is for those who need to change but refuse, they usually hurt until they discover it is easier to change. Yes, I am very special but so are you. We are children of God regardless of your belief of an invisible dragon. I could never believe in your dragon until I had contact. Blind faith is always blind. Better to search for the truth. Of course, if one isn't open to the possibilities, how can one ever discover the truth??

Should I care what's in your garage?? Finding an invisible dragon will not impact my life. Finding God will.
but...
It's not just about God.
then...
We are children of God regardless of your belief of an invisible dragon.
so it's about god, AND it's not about god. lolz.

As far as all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again, I can not argue with this.
dont feel bad, nobody can argue with battlestar galactica.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I am certain that you exist.
yes, it is true that you can define me into existance. but
certainty is absurd, all you have is an assumption...though the best assumption at hand. ;)... i would assume.
"best" not because it is convinient, but becuase it is most self-evident, though evidence is to the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
It's not just about God. It's about being open enough to explore all the possibilities regardless of whether we like those possibilities or not. Of course, first one must value truth enough that they take what ever effort is needed to discover it. As far as all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again, I can not argue with this. I find when lessons are not learned they are repeated. The sad part is for those who need to change but refuse, they usually hurt until they discover it is easier to change. Yes, I am very special but so are you. We are children of God regardless of your belief of an invisible dragon. I could never believe in your dragon until I had contact. Blind faith is always blind. Better to search for the truth. Of course, if one isn't open to the possibilities, how can one ever discover the truth??

ah, this brings me back to my youtube surfing days:
[youtube]T69TOuqaqXI[/youtube]
YouTube - Open-mindedness

from my perspective, and "personal experience", and "contact" your words fall as quite ironic.

Bird123

yes, it is true that you can define me into existance. but
certainty is absurd, all you have is an assumption...though the best assumption at hand. ;)... i would assume.
"best" not because it is convinient, but becuase it is most self-evident, though evidence is to the eye of the beholder.
Your comment comes from somewhere. I am certain you exist. I know because something is generating your comment. Something exists.

blackout

Violet.
Every christian church teaches that "we" are (all) sinners.
(ie EVERYONE is a "sinner")

If they didn't,
we really wouldn't need jesus to "save" us from anything, now,
would we.

I for one, am not a sinner.

But you are free to be as such,
if that is what you choose to "make of yourself". :shrug:

Bird123

ah, this brings me back to my youtube surfing days:
[youtube]T69TOuqaqXI[/youtube]
YouTube - Open-mindedness

from my perspective, and "personal experience", and "contact" your words fall as quite ironic.
You base your assumptions of God on what religion is teaching you. It's no wonder. Do you really think religion understands???? Example: Did you know that scientist are walking toward God??? They just haven't discovered God yet. They are a long way off but their methods are sound. Scientist's greatest strength is that they do correct errors they discover. Religion doesn't. In time this will be religion's downfall. The more wisdom mankind achieves; the more religion's errors will show. Certain? one plus one equals two regardless of how anyone feels.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You base your assumptions of God on what religion is teaching you. It's no wonder. Do you really think religion understands???? Example: Did you know that scientist are walking toward God??? They just haven't discovered God yet. They are a long way off but their methods are sound. Scientist's greatest strength is that they do correct errors they discover. Religion doesn't. In time this will be religion's downfall. The more wisdom mankind achieves; the more religion's errors will show. Certain? one plus one equals two regardless of how anyone feels.

Come now we as a race will never find God because religions movw the goal posts everytime it suits them :p

Bird123

Every christian church teaches that "we" are (all) sinners.
(ie EVERYONE is a "sinner")

If they didn't,
we really wouldn't need jesus to "save" us from anything, now,
would we.

I for one, am not a sinner.

But you are free to be as such,
if that is what you choose to "make of yourself". :shrug:
I like your comment. So many things are about choice. People can choose themselves into all kinds of things. We just as well choose all that good stuff our there. It is that easy. Thanks again for the great comment!!

Bird123

Come now we as a race will never find God because religions movw the goal posts everytime it suits them :p
If God exists then He can be found regardless of what mankind is doing. Sometimes those who search find what they search for. The question remains who wants to search? Where does one look for God? Hmmm???? Like with all knowledge in this world. It is a test of intelligence.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Your comment comes from somewhere. I am certain you exist. I know because something is generating your comment. Something exists.
That, or these comments arise of themselves, by glitch. or perhaps you are so completely deluded that everything around you is just a delusion.
The ultimate and purest assumption is only that of one's own existance: "I think... therefore I am." This is the closest you may come to certainty, if you define "being" and existance in such a manner. then you would exist, by definition. 1 + 1 = 2 only if we define it that way. If God exists, then It exists...everything else would be jumping to conclusions, which i guess you are technically allowed to.

Last edited:

DarkSun

:eltiT
Of course there are things wrong with me, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I can admit these. However, these flaws are obstacles that are meant to be torn down. Everyone has flaws. The weak will let these flaws hold them back. The strong will seek to overcome them.

This is the most profound thing I've heard in ages. Frubals.

Bird123

That, or these comments arise of themselves, by glitch. or perhaps you are so completely deluded that everything around you is just a delusion.
The ultimate and purest assumption is only that of one's own existance: "I think... therefore I am." This is the closest you may come to certainty, if you define "being" and existance in such a manner. then you would exist, by definition. 1 + 1 = 2 only if we define it that way. If God exists, then It exists...everything else would be jumping to conclusions, which i guess you are technically allowed to.
Based on the laws of this cause and effect universe nothing will arise from nothing. You exist. Not knowing you I can not define you. You might be no more than a glitch. As far as a delusion, it like truth must be questioned. Only truth will remain. If one steps off a building, one will fall due to the law of gravity in this physical universe. That is certain regardless of what I might believe as true. Adding more variables make the outcome more complex.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Based on the laws of this cause and effect universe nothing will arise from nothing. You exist. Not knowing you I can not define you. You might be no more than a glitch. As far as a delusion, it like truth must be questioned. Only truth will remain. If one steps off a building, one will fall due to the law of gravity in this physical universe. That is certain regardless of what I might believe as true. Adding more variables make the outcome more complex.
Yes, laws that are assumed to be true. What I mean by "defining me" is defining my existance. If you believe that your thoughts constitute existance, than i exist simply by the fact that i cross your mind. otherwise, I am just your delusion and do not "physically exist" outside your own perseptions. gravity is expected (depending on whether the conditions are correct), but it is not certain.
edit: actually i was wrong. the only thing we can be certain of, is that we can be certain of nothing else.

Last edited:

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
The math thing was clever but i preffer to show it as such... Alone a 0 is what it says, nothing, a zero. But when you start adding and subtracting to this 0 it holds the same meaning but it serves a entirely new purpose, it marks the beggining.

Zadok

Zadok

It is obvious that you are not a mathematician. The binary operation of addition is much more than a definition and your little example is wrong because it is only partially true (incomplete) and does not show that you understand the discipline of mathematics.

Likewise many do not understand the discipline of G-d but even worse they do not want to know or understand the simplicity of G-d. Thus we are fallen and flawed. Many are so flawed that they do not even desire to be one with G-d. Because being one with G-d will require that we also become G-d but many hate G-d and refuse to even consider being like him. G-d will not force anyone to be like him – only those that love him will he make disciples and discipline them in the rigors of G-dliness. And only those that labor with all their heart, might, mind and strength will succeed at such a divine destiny.

Zadok