• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a DIR or a proselytization forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Why don't you post his comments instead of just mine, out of context, and what they were in response to? You can have the last word if you like.

Surya Deva

Jainarayan,

I am posting your comments because you are the one who started this thread. You are guilty of the same thing you complain about in this thread. This is why I pointed it out. I am not personally attacking you, but merely showing you how fine the line between discussion and debate is in the Hindu forum, and how we all easily overstep it. I admit I have overstepped it many times, but so have you, and so have dozens of other posters.

I am also showing how clearly we do not respect views opposite to our own. Like you clearly show you disrespect and disgust for Vrindavandas's view that homosexuality is immoral and punishable in Hinduism, though he actually has valid basis for his view in the smriti of the Manusmriti. So why did you not respect his view? Simple, because we do not really respect opposite views. Likewise, people justifying their religious beliefs by citing from the Puranas such as how bathing in the Ganga purges all sin, or Krishna is to be worshiped, or Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu or x temple is a holy site or that Lord Rama lived millions of years ago alongside the dinosaurs also have a basis for their beliefs in scriptures. I don't respect these views because it is all mythology.

Maya3

And your tone with Vrindavandas was civil, mature and polite, yes? Let us see:

Originally posted by you:

Not only do you clearly disagree and show disgust to Vrindavandas's belief that homosexuality is forbidden by Hinduism, you actively debate it and attempt to disprove it through a patronizing attitude and even imply that he is a closet homosexual.

So again I ask it is OK for you to debate and debate in a disrespectful and condescending tone, but not OK for others?

This thread has turned into a parody of itself :yes:

And your tone with Vrindavandas was civil, mature and polite, yes? Let us see:

Originally posted by you:

To be honest the above just shows an argument that got a little heated between two people. (and why bringing it up here in the first place?)

What you are doing is preaching, putting others down, lecturing and proselytizing as well as disrespecting people's sincere beliefs.

Simply put, its not cool.

It's not your job to change peoples minds about anything.

Maya

Me Myself

Back to my username
I ve been sad to see more fights in hinduism DIR than others (save maybe the LHP DIR? :p )

Things that really should for for Same faith debates if any.

Here we are supposed to just help each one of us to follow each of our Dharmas.

As a quote from Krishna goes I believe "It is better to err following your dharma than to follow someone elses dharma in a perfect way"

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a personal policy regarding this, ... not that anybody cares... once an individual on a forum makes it clear that his or her way is the only way, then I just stop responding to their posts. Use a bit of will power to allow them to rant away all they want to. It certainly won't stop me from going to temple, prostrating, meditating, helping others, being hospitable etc, or engaging in helpful dialogue. Anyone whose mission in life is to convince others they are wrong just doesn't have a very all-encompassing view of the diversity of humanity.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I have a personal policy regarding this, ... not that anybody cares... once an individual on a forum makes it clear that his or her way is the only way, then I just stop responding to their posts. Use a bit of will power to allow them to rant away all they want to. It certainly won't stop me from going to temple, prostrating, meditating, helping others, being hospitable etc, or engaging in helpful dialogue. Anyone whose mission in life is to convince others they are wrong just doesn't have a very all-encompassing view of the diversity of humanity.

I'll keep that in mind. :yes:

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse

I care. And I find it inspiring and agree with your view.

Maija

last sentence is spot on!

Surya Deva

Of course I am going to hold my view to true, what are you expecting? It is my religion. If I start granting validity to opposing views, it means I am not secure and confident in my own views. If Shankara did not concede to opposing views, why should I? This what I meant by pointing out the Dogma of Bhakti. Advaitin Hindus like me are expected to just swallow this dogma that Bhakti in the form of worshiping a separate and almighty god is valid and OK and if I disagree with it either I am not a Hindu, or I am just a bad person. Whatever.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

One of my most favorite prayers in praise of Lord Vishnu composed by Adi Shankaracharya

Achyutashtakam by Adi Shankara - Sanskrit Stuti

It would appear that Shankara had no problem worshiping a god.

Aum Hari Aum!

I have already covered this. Shankara never worshiped a separate god, to him god means the Self. He uses only the language of the culture at the times, but does not mean the same thing as the people of his time meant when they worshiped gods. In Shankara's atmashaktam he clearly asserts his identity with Shiva, chitananda rupa shivoham shivoham Consciousness-bliss is my essential form, I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

Shankara was living in a time where people were obsessed with gods and goddesses and this is why Shankara felt it was his duty to reform against all of this. So what he did was he showed that bhakti was possible in Advaita as well, if you redirect all your devotion and love to ones essential nature - the Self. I also practice Bhakti as Shankara prescribed, through love and devotion to my essential self, constant rememberence and meditation on it.

Advaitins do not worship separate god/s. It is not supported by the Sruti of the Upanishads.

Last edited:

Maija

I have already covered this. Shankara never worshiped a separate god, to him god means the Self. He uses only the language of the culture at the times, but does not mean the same thing as the people of his time meant when they worshiped gods. In Shankara's atmashaktam he clearly asserts his identity with Shiva, chitananda rupa shivoham shivoham Consciousness-bliss is my essential form, I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

Shankara was living in a time where people were obsessed with gods and goddesses and this is why Shankara felt it was his duty to reform against all of this. So what he did was he showed that bhakti was possible in Advaita as well, if you redirect all your devotion and love to ones essential nature - the Self. I also practice Bhakti as Shankara prescribed, through love and devotion to my essential self, constant rememberence and meditation on it.

Advaitins do not worship separate god/s. It is not supported by the Sruti of the Upanishads.
i think youve covered it all. working on relating to this in own time. you are very articulate and well read. thank you

Last edited:

Maya3

Of course I am going to hold my view to true, what are you expecting? It is my religion. If I start granting validity to opposing views, it means I am not secure and confident in my own views. If Shankara did not concede to opposing views, why should I? This what I meant by pointing out the Dogma of Bhakti. Advaitin Hindus like me are expected to just swallow this dogma that Bhakti in the form of worshiping a separate and almighty god is valid and OK and if I disagree with it either I am not a Hindu, or I am just a bad person. Whatever.

No one worships a Separate God, people worship the form/s they feel closest resembles how they feel God might be.
You feel that God can only be seen as formless.
There is room for everyone.

If you truly believe in Advaita then realize that everything is The Self, Murtis and all.

Maya

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think that anybody here expects others to concede to their views or to accept views that offend you. I think the OP is more concerned with debating and preaching that happens in the DIR, which is a place where debate is not allowed. The Forum is structured in such a way that there is a place for just about everything. Debating one's own religion with other followers of that religion is to happen in the Same Faith Debates area. But DIRs are for discussion purposes only. They are a 'safe place' or meant to be.

DIRs are regulated most frequently because it is difficult to remain neutral and not argue but we do ask everyone to try their best.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No one worships a Separate God, people worship the form/s they feel closest resembles how they feel God might be.

I'm sorry but I'm a living example of someone who worships a separate God. When I worship Ganesha, I worship him as His own being, capable of answering prayers, etc. I don't view him as 'just another aspect of the supreme'. I know that view is pretty common, but to say it is one held by all just isn't true. So I just thought I'd point that out. Not to argue, but to show there are differing views. When I go to a temple that houses different deities, I'll stand and worship each in a quite distinct way. Even the prayers will be of a different nature. I also know I'm not alone in this viewpoint.

Surya Deva

You feel that God can only be seen as formless.
There is room for everyone.

Maya you know this is wrong, because many Bhaktas on this forum are Dvaita or Visesadvaita, they either recognize god as totally separate or as distinct from us.

And to correct you: I do not worship god/s. I worship the Self, just as the Upanishads declare. I meditate on the self, I contemplate on the self, I structure my entire life around self-realization and development.

If you truly believe in Advaita then realize that everything is The Self, Murtis and all.

Maya

This is not Advaita, because Advaita considers murtis, world, matter, time, space, minds, jiva, ishvara everything to be Maya. Mithya. Unreal. Advaita is a transcendentalist and emanationist philosophy. That is that the actual real substance of reality - the self - is completely transcendental, beyond time, space and causality or empirical existence in general. This entire empirical existence is an emanation from the Self, like a projection, from the energy or field of the Self known as Maya.

Now are you going to tell me this is just my opinion of Advaita and you have a different take? In that case I will just tell you, you have misunderstood the philosophy.

Surya Deva

I don't think that anybody here expects others to concede to their views or to accept views that offend you. I think the OP is more concerned with debating and preaching that happens in the DIR, which is a place where debate is not allowed. The Forum is structured in such a way that there is a place for just about everything. Debating one's own religion with other followers of that religion is to happen in the Same Faith Debates area. But DIRs are for discussion purposes only. They are a 'safe place' or meant to be.

DIRs are regulated most frequently because it is difficult to remain neutral and not argue but we do ask everyone to try their best.

Sure, I respect that, but I think the OP holds double standards, for he himself was debating and preaching his version of Hinduism that does not condemn homosexuality, against Vrindandas's version that does condemn homosexuality.

I think the Same Faith Debate forum will get very busy if we moved our all our debates on here to there. I am still not sure when I am discussing and when I am debating. Please let me know so I can observe my limits, and if I want to debate, will start a thread in the relevant forums.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.