• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel stops fuel shipments; Gaza City goes dark

jewscout

Religious Zionist
At the same time, Israel launched a small attack during the chaos at the border, and killed some hamas officers. The article did not state that hamas had attacked or threatened to attack Israel at that time, although I understand the apprehension.

would the daily bombing of Sderot be considered as hamas attacking or threatening to attack Israel?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
would the daily bombing of Sderot be considered as hamas attacking or threatening to attack Israel?

Well it would seem to me that the measures had already been taken via the blockade. So either Israel wishes to react violently or non-violently. If Israel wanted to send a messege right back they could have led a strike against hamas, and that would have at least not placed an entire people in even greater poverty then they were in before. However, to place a blockade and then sometime later, when they aren't even worried about you to launch a military attack seems backwards to me. If they all want the violence to end then let it end. If somebody does something to me and I retaliate, then why is it fair to retaliate more then once for the same offence? Hamas launched rockets and Israel responded to that, then they respond again, and so how many times do you take revenge for the same offence?

kai

ragamuffin
Well it would seem to me that the measures had already been taken via the blockade. So either Israel wishes to react violently or non-violently. If Israel wanted to send a messege right back they could have led a strike against hamas, and that would have at least not placed an entire people in even greater poverty then they were in before. However, to place a blockade and then sometime later, when they aren't even worried about you to launch a military attack seems backwards to me. If they all want the violence to end then let it end. If somebody does something to me and I retaliate, then why is it fair to retaliate more then once for the same offence? Hamas launched rockets and Israel responded to that, then they respond again, and so how many times do you take revenge for the same offence?

its not about who fired first its about who fires last, it needs peace the palestinians are surely crying out for it , this eye for an eye approach will go on forever

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
its not about who fired first its about who fires last, it needs peace the palestinians are surely crying out for it , this eye for an eye approach will go on forever

Right back at'cha for a rare agreement on this point. This tit-for-tat thing has gone on long enough and taken enough lives, and one would think that all of them living in that area would see it. I don't know the time frame but let's say hamas last shot rockets a month ago, then a little while after that Israel responds as it did. A whole month later you can't get mad all over again then decide you gonna kill somebody for it, because all that does is like you said Kai......go round and round. Then hamas will be angry and launch more rockets. Then it will be said that they do not want peace, and this will allow Israel a pretense to take ever more drastic measures.

If violence is gonna end, one or the other side is gonna have to take that last wound and walk away from it. Gaza took that last wound via, blockade. They appeared to not be concerned with getting into Egypt to lauch a secret attack or set anything up other than some food and other goods. If hamas had wanted to launch some attack from a different spot I'm sure they would have been able to do at least one strike. I don't think Egypt would have appreciated the use of their soil for that purpose, and hamas would have been up the creek.

I have not read any other report that states that hamas retaliated so maybe their done with that phase of it. Maybe they do just wanna start living like normal people, and not in a constant state of flux, anger, fear, and death. You know, you get tired of scrapping everyday. Accumulating and maintaining anger takes alot out of you, and if you ain't getting your way like that, you tend to say 'just forget it'. Sometimes you just gotta move on from that because you look around to find that all that fighting, all that battling, has won you nothing but heartache and the people around you are tired and looking to you for a way out of misery.

It's almost like letting go of an addiction. No rehab program, no doctors notice, no amount of tough love will make you give it up. A person doesn't stop destructive behaviour until they're tired of it themselves. Once they decide that it is over, they never return to it, and nothing can make them. Big changes start small, often with a single act. The one act of hamas breaching the border to releave the people, not to fight, not to kill, not to launch rockets, but to help them, did more to galvanize them than all the bombings combined. The Gazans aren't looking for a group to lead them that will kill for them, but a group of leaders who will look after them.

kai

ragamuffin
once agin i am in agreement ,with your sentiments here, i am not sure about the reasons for opening the border but it was good publicity for the Gazans instead of someone dying

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Though I have ideas on how to solve all this, I do not know if they will survive the test of reality, because:

1. Like all of us, I am tainted by my own personal views, and

2. Many of these personal views about the Israel-Arab conflict come from the corporate media, which is slanted in their coverage in favor of Israel.

Biggest thing that stands out to me, though--is it true that Palestinians are fenced in, that they are not allowed to enter or leave? I can understand doing that on the border with Israel. But does Israel really do that on all sides of Palestine, or did I misread that?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
:eek:

Does Egypt really want to do this? Or are they just attempting to avoid entanglements with Israel?

Personally I think it's both. I don't think Egypt wants to draw the international eye on it for anything. Once anyone associates with a group of people who have been deemed as bad for one thing or another, you tend to be guilty by association. I don't think Egypt wants any part of that and would rather have the Gazans fenced in than draw negative attention by continuing to be associated with them for a prolonged period of time.

kai

ragamuffin
The border is supposed to be jointly maintained by Egypt and the Palestinian Authority under the oversight of the European Union monitors

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Personally I think it's both. I don't think Egypt wants to draw the international eye on it for anything. Once anyone associates with a group of people who have been deemed as bad for one thing or another, you tend to be guilty by association. I don't think Egypt wants any part of that and would rather have the Gazans fenced in than draw negative attention by continuing to be associated with them for a prolonged period of time.

God...if there's some "Open the Border!" movement out there, I'd seriously want to cheer them on. I mean terrorists or no, fencing in the Gazas is just wrong on so many levels. And it's the very thing that Israel has been complaining of for more than half a century.

kai

ragamuffin
God...if there's some "Open the Border!" movement out there, I'd seriously want to cheer them on. I mean terrorists or no, fencing in the Gazas is just wrong on so many levels. And it's the very thing that Israel has been complaining of for more than half a century.
then i propose you write to the egyptian embassy with your opinion and ask them to open the border with their palestinian brothers and sisters and supply them with electricity too while they are at it . the stark reality is the Egyptians dont want Hamas anywhere near them and it suits them to have Hamas fenced off not the palestinians .

Mercy Not Sacrifice

then i propose you write to the egyptian embassy with your opinion and ask them to open the border with their palestinian brothers and sisters and supply them with electricity too while they are at it . the stark reality is the Egyptians dont want Hamas anywhere near them and it suits them to have Hamas fenced off not the palestinians .

Um, I don't think I'm THAT brave. ;) But wow, that's tough to hear about Egypt.

Maybe something a little tamer, though, such as a picture/banner going around the internet I could put in my sig?

Reactions: kai