• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Cameron is a better God than Yahweh!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You're actually agreeing with me: The real world is absolutely nothing like Pandora. However, you are ignoring the follow-on question: Why not? "Because it isn't" isn't an answer when the God involved is nigh-omnipotent.
You're assuming that a human being has a better idea than Deity, when human perspective and understanding are limited (like the movie -- in that it does not show us the intricacies of real life), unlike Deity, which is, as you say, omnipotent (and omniscient). I don't think that's an assumption that can reasonably be made. every single human attempt in history to "recreate" the world (the Romans, Alexander, Hitler, etc.) have been huge failures.

sojourner

Yes, but is it unreasonable for people to want a movie to be reality?
No, but wishing don't make it so. In the end, it's still just a limited human fantasy that can be trumped and toppled by the next one to come along.

Noaidi

slow walker
"James Cameron is a better God than Yahweh"

Don't you mean David Cameron is a better God than Yahweh? :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The fact that there aren't in reality any sentient, arboreal primates with prehensile tails and language skills?

How could a conglomerate of photographs in chronological order, printed on celluloid, have an existence in reality? Oh, wait! They do! And that reality is called a ...
"movie.":facepalm:
You misunderstood me. I obviously know that Pandora isn't real. What I was asking was "Why couldn't it be?" It doesn't have existence now, but you seemed to be suggesting that it is inconceivable that it could have existence. It's perfectly conceivable that a place like Pandora could exist.

sojourner

You misunderstood me. I obviously know that Pandora isn't real. What I was asking was "Why couldn't it be?" It doesn't have existence now, but you seemed to be suggesting that it is inconceivable that it could have existence. It's perfectly conceivable that a place like Pandora could exist.
It did -- until we pushed the world into the Industrial revolution. Except we didn't have prehensile tails. And fangs.

RitalinO.D.

because no one except a person with poor grasp of reality would believe that a movie is reality.

Well, if I'm being honest, anyone that believes in a Godman has a poor grasp of reality. I just don't bash people for it and let them live their lives how they choose. (unless yer a scientologist, in which case yer a ******* idiot)

You can't compare two make-believe things and call them different because of what YOU believe. Thats hypocritical.

RitalinO.D.

In the end, it's still just a limited human fantasy that can be trumped and toppled by the next one to come along.

I'm really not trying to pick on you here sojourner, but every argument you've made so far can be turned around on believing in a God.

Millions of people consider the belief in a God to be a human fantasy, myself included. Yet, there are billions that do believe. Why is it ok to believe in a God no one has ever seen, but not ok to believe, or want to believe that Pandora exists or can exist.

sojourner

Well, if I'm being honest, anyone that believes in a Godman has a poor grasp of reality. I just don't bash people for it and let them live their lives how they choose. (unless yer a scientologist, in which case yer a ******* idiot)

You can't compare two make-believe things and call them different because of what YOU believe. Thats hypocritical.
Did I ever say anything about a Godman?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
You're assuming that a human being has a better idea than Deity, when human perspective and understanding are limited (like the movie -- in that it does not show us the intricacies of real life), unlike Deity, which is, as you say, omnipotent (and omniscient). I don't think that's an assumption that can reasonably be made. every single human attempt in history to "recreate" the world (the Romans, Alexander, Hitler, etc.) have been huge failures.
I'm not assuming anything; I know the world can be improved. For instance, if you want a major change, the human immune system could be rebuilt to be absolutely impervious to all diseases. There is zero downside to this, and immense gains. There are countless other such changes that could be made.

Also, I highlighted your key word for you. Their attempts at recreating society have been failures because humans are limited in capacity, both physically and mentally. Creator gods, whether in the form of sentient trees or not, would be capable of running all of human society literally single-handedly.
"James Cameron is a better God than Yahweh"

Don't you mean David Cameron is a better God than Yahweh? :D
How dare you, sir! I resent you calling me a Tory. :p
(OMRLP FTW!)
It did -- until we pushed the world into the Industrial revolution. Except we didn't have prehensile tails. And fangs.
No it didn't, for exactly the reason you pointed out. Pandora is so perfect that the Industrial Revolution would be unnecessary. This is all but demonstrated in the film: there are no problems 22nd century humans can fix. This presumably includes all diseases, vermin, and farming and medical issues of any kind. There would be nothing to gain from application of technology.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There's one very compelling argument against your claim:
Cameron's world is missing one component: Reality.

Of course it is, but that's irrelevant. The OP does have a point. The argument is that an all-loving, all-good god would want to create a world that was good for its inhabitants, and Earth is not a very good place to live for us. Some people have made up different worlds that show that better places are possible for a being with limitless power. Cameron's Pandora is one such place. Sure, it's not complete, and there are details that could affect things, but it shows that it's hard to consider Earth to be the work of an all-loving, all-good god.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm not assuming anything; I know the world can be improved. For instance, if you want a major change, the human immune system could be rebuilt to be absolutely impervious to all diseases. There is zero downside to this, and immense gains.
For humans, perhaps, but that would make diseases superfluous. How is rendering something superfluous an improvement of the world?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Are you really suggesting that we lived in harmony with nature and each other and did not lack for anything before the Industrial Revolution? Really?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
For humans, perhaps, but that would make diseases superfluous. How is rendering something superfluous an improvement of the world?
That is a good point. The virusii would not be very happy if God made everything's immune system unassailable. And maybe God actually loves them more than he loves us.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That is a good point. The virusii would not be very happy if God made everything's immune system unassailable. And maybe God actually loves them more than he loves us.
LOL :)

Or maybe he loves us both and doesn't have to choose.

RitalinO.D.

Did I ever say anything about a Godman?

no but you do believe in God do you not? Do people generally tell you that you need to live in reality because of your belief?

If I were to come on here and say I believe Pandora exists, or could exist, basing on how you've responded in this thread, you would tell me that I don't live in reality.

I'm sorry man, but that is hypocritical.

orcel

Amature Theologian
Actually the biblical account of the Garden of Eden describes a world created for the harmonious interaction of humanity and the rest of nature. It was only after the fall of man did sin, evil, suffering and a laborious relationship with the earth begin.

sojourner

I'm not assuming anything; I know the world can be improved. For instance, if you want a major change, the human immune system could be rebuilt to be absolutely impervious to all diseases. There is zero downside to this, and immense gains. There are countless other such changes that could be made.
And how are you certain that that act wouldn't upset some balance and create repercussions that you're not aware of?
Look -- this is very simple: The OP assumes that a fantasy world is better than the real world. Again, I reiterate the reality that the fantasy world is not the world. We are not shown every facet of reality in this fantasy world. If this fantasy world could be possible -- it would be!
Also, I highlighted your key word for you. Their attempts at recreating society have been failures because humans are limited in capacity, both physically and mentally. Creator gods, whether in the form of sentient trees or not, would be capable of running all of human society literally single-handedly.
And since James Cameron is human, his fantasy is doomed to fail, as well, thus proving the OP WRONG

RitalinO.D.

Actually the biblical account of the Garden of Eden describes a world created for the harmonious interaction of humanity and the rest of nature. It was only after the fall of man did sin, evil, suffering and a laborious relationship with the earth begin.

Damn that crazy snake...