• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD Vance - A Gift To Biden

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Because I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to filter our own biases out of the equation. @SkepticThinker

OH I think it does. I think it's nearly impossible for us to even see, let alone remove, our biases from the equation.
Maybe difficult but not impossible or even nearly impossible. The first step is to recognize your biases. Then you can take them into account and go from there. I dislike Trump and his loyalists immensely. That's a bias. In this case, it doesn't color my view of Vance's change. It's about as cynical a change as can be, which is why everyone is talking about it so much. The only way it could be a clearer example of doing a 180 in order to gain political power is if he came out publicly and admitted to it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Maybe difficult but not impossible or even nearly impossible. The first step is to recognize your biases. Then you can take them into account and go from there. I dislike Trump and his loyalists immensely. That's a bias. In this case, it doesn't color my view of Vance's change. It's about as cynical a change as can be, which is why everyone is talking about it so much. The only way it could be a clearer example of doing a 180 in order to gain political power is if he came out publicly and admitted to it.

Well, surprise, surprise, we disagree again. By the way, just for the record, I am not a Trump supporter. I wanted to make that really clear. I do think it's a good call overall for OHIO to have a guy from OHIO be the vice president. But I'm not particularly supportive of Trump/Vance even though I really did like Vance's book. And I liked it again when I reread it again last year for a book club.

And Vance is from a small town near me, which is also cool.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, surprise, surprise, we disagree again. By the way, just for the record, I am not a Trump supporter. I wanted to make that really clear. I do think it's a good call overall for OHIO to have a guy from OHIO be the vice president. But I'm not particularly supportive of Trump/Vance even though I really did like Vance's book. And I liked it again when I reread it again last year for a book club.

And Vance is from a small town near me, which is also cool.
OK, but this is still a very clear case of switching your views in a cynical attempt to gain political power.

Kathryn

OK, but this is still a very clear case of switching your views in a cynical attempt to gain political power.
I have not switched my views. I am a registered Republican and I will be voting but plan to write in a name instead of voting for Trump. It won't make any difference because the electoral college in my state is very clearly for one particular candidate.

Last edited:

Kathryn

That doesn't make any sense to me but thanks for your answer.
It doesn't seem like it makes any sense to you but it does make sense to me. You really can't see your own biases? I can see mine. I take steps to overcome them but I know they are going to make me biased anyway, and I highly suspect that of anyone. After all, we are creatures of habit and we just love to cuddle up with others who feel the same way we do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nope, I think it's nearly impossible for anyone.
Still, with intent, one can reach conclusions
that go against one's bias. I'm biased against
Trump (the vile traitor), but I given him credit
for rushing vaccine development.
Oddly, he's a vaccine skeptic, who tries to get
people to eschew them. Go figure.

Clizby Wampuscat

Thanks! And you have the right to believe him due to your bias toward him and his side. I'll go ahead and not believe him due to my lack of that bias and my ability to see the situation objectively.
I guess you can read minds. It seems you believe that if people come to different conclusions than you do they have to be biased. I think you need to be a little more humble.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I guess you can read minds. It seems you believe that if people come to different conclusions than you do they have to be biased. I think you need to be a little more humble.
No need to read minds. Sometimes coming to a different conclusion makes sense or is reasonable. In a case like this there's only one reasonable conclusion. There's nothing "not humble" about pointing out the obvious, that Vance flip-flopped in order to gain political power.

Kathryn

No need to read minds. Sometimes coming to a different conclusion makes sense or is reasonable. In a case like this there's only one reasonable conclusion. There's nothing "not humble" about pointing out the obvious, that Vance flip-flopped in order to gain political power.
First of all, it's telling that you can't see your own biases.

Secondly, I'd hate to be judged by anything I believed at 30 or 31. There's no telling what I said about what back in the day, especially in what I thought was a private conversation. There was a ton of personal growth between the ages of 30 and 40.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
First of all, it's telling that you can't see your own biases.
I already told you I acknowledge my biases.
Secondly, I'd hate to be judged by anything I believed at 30 or 31. There's no telling what I said about what back in the day, especially in what I thought was a private conversation. There was a ton of personal growth between the ages of 30 and 40.
We went over this.

1) 31 is a full adult. It's not like he was 16 or something. There really shouldn't be that much personal growth between 31 and 39 for most people.

2) Again, this was private, but he made a bunch of public comments to the same effect.

Clizby Wampuscat

I gave my reasons why I don't agree with your reasoning. We disagree, can you accept that?