• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD Vance - A Gift To Biden

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I would bet abortion is left up to the states. It's not a big, burning issue to most people.
I am curious, which state do you think is going to impose stricter abortion restrictions than those that existed under Roe v Wade? Are there any? And if so, will it happen democratically?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Trump has said that he prefers to leave abortion up to the states.
Yet his VP pick advocates federal tracking of women crossing
state lines.
Excerpted...
An apparent audio leak from what is said to be a previous interview has Senator J.D. Vance on a recording suggesting that women crossing state lines to obtain abortions should be stopped via "federal response."

The clip features a voice that 'resembles Vance' speculating on an imaginary scenario: "Imagine Roe vs. Wade is overturned. Ohio outlaws abortion by 2022, maybe 2024. Meanwhile, George Soros funds daily flights from Columbus, transporting predominantly Black women to California for abortions. The left would likely praise this as a triumph for diversity. That's rather unsettling, don't you think?" Vance allegedly says in the clip.

The voice in the video continues, "In such a scenario, would federal action be necessary to prevent it? It’s quite disturbing, and I must admit, I’m somewhat in favor of that."

The account that posted the audio labeled it a "stunning leak" and criticized the Ohio senator for advocating a "federal response to prevent women from traveling from red states to blue states for reproductive healthcare."

The full podcast is available here with a Patreon subscription. Vance's past comments on abortion focused on uplifting his state's six-week ban and denouncing mail-order birth control. He's also publicly supported a national ban.

Not only is Vance literally inventing a scenario used to outrage listeners, he invokes George Soros as the abortion-providing boogeyman, a favorite antisemitic trope of the right-wing party.
This is straight up Handmaid's Tale stuff.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Why? Why should such an important human right as bodily autonomy be up to the individual states?
Should slavery be left up to the States too? So that a person is a free person in one state but a slave in another state? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Doesn't make much sense to you because 1) you and I are diametrically opposed politically, and 2) you're not a Republican anyway. (I took The Test and I am more centrist actually - in fact, I lean to the left.)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I've never watched or read that.
But it sounds ominous.
It is. Very much so. And I'm watching it unfold in real life slowly, before my eyes. Just like in the book/TV series. They saw it come in small increments, thinking somewhere along the way they'd be able to do something. Then it was too late. And they didn't have the power anymore to do anything. Once your bodily autonomy is taken away, there isn't much left.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Doesn't make much sense to you because 1) you and I are diametrically opposed politically, and 2) you're not a Republican anyway. (I took The Test and I am more centrist actually - in fact, I lean to the left.)
It doesn't make sense because certain issues shouldn't be left to states. Human rights issues should be handled federally.

Considering your clear support for the right and its talking points, I'd be very interested to see which test said you lean to the left and why.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It doesn't make sense because certain issues shouldn't be left to states. Human rights issues should be handled federally.

Considering your clear support for the right and its talking points, I'd be very interested to see which test said you lean to the left and why.
The one that everyone on RF was taking. Sorry, don't know the name. I guess it said I lean to the left because maybe I do. I do know I am more centrist than right wing.

We Never Know

No Slack
Vance seemed to change his mind in 2021. He did not change his mind to be vice president, that would have been really unlikely. The majority of Trump voters have changed their minds about him. I don't think this will be an issue. He may come across as more genuine and thoughtful. We will see.
Trump should have picked Haley (if she was willing). He would have hit a home run with her.