• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Does the Catholic Church teach that to leave them is to leave God? Do the Mormons? Does anyone? I don't know. I know the Jehovah's Witnesses do it. I have read posts by them or by JW apologetics which read what I am saying, that when they say Jehovah or their organization, each can be the other.

Nevermind. InChrist, thank you for getting it. And I already thanked my lovely friend Horrorble.

So, it's not a sin, according to the majority, to be setting up a house in the name of YHVH.
Dude, set up whatever you want. I personally believe that the Bible teaches that belief in Christ and His acceptance of that belief is all that is required for salvation. That said, all I am saying is that the form of your argument in no way proves that the JW organization is equating themselves as equals of God only that they believe that their organization has the only correct view of the method of salvation and a rejection of their church is a rejection of God. At best the JWs believe that only they know the true way to Christ and I think most Churches that disagree doctrinally hold the same opinion. It boils down usually on a view of salvation by faith alone or faith and works.

InChrist

Free4ever
I personally believe in individual salvation but those who believe in corporate salvation point to Acts 11:14, 16:32 which point towards households being saved through one persons beliefs and I Corinthians 7:14 which points to a families salvation through a believing member.

I also believe in personal salvation, but that didn't really answer or address the question. If salvation is through Christ alone and He is the Savior, as the scriptures say repeatedly, then what other person, group, or organization has a legitimate right to claim to stand in place of Him as the way of salvation, at least according to the scriptures?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I also believe in personal salvation, but that didn't really answer or address the question. If salvation is through Christ alone and He is the Savior, as the scriptures say repeatedly, then what other person, group, or organization has a legitimate right to claim to stand in place of Him as the way of salvation, at least according to the scriptures?

OK That is the point but the contention I have with the witnesses is they do it all IN GOD'S NAME.

It is being wrong times two. They teach they are the only way of salvation AND the only way to Jehovah. Salvation isn't Jehovah. Jehovah is a person. Salvation is a thing.

Salvation is God? No! God is salvation? Yes. But YHVH is much more than salvation.

Am I "taking God's Name in vain"? Perhaps. Do I care? Perhaps. Do I teach it? NO! They do.

InChrist

Free4ever
OK That is the point but the contention I have with the witnesses is they do it all IN GOD'S NAME.

It is being wrong times two. They teach they are the only way of salvation AND the only way to Jehovah. Salvation isn't Jehovah. Jehovah is a person. Salvation is a thing.

Salvation is God? No! God is salvation? Yes. But YHVH is much more than salvation.

Am I "taking God's Name in vain"? Perhaps. Do I care? Perhaps. Do I teach it? NO! They do.

I have no argument with you, savagewind. Like I said. I think you are correct in your concerns about the Watchtower and their claims about the name of Jehovah and salvation. Doing it all in God's name I would think falls under the category and sin of blasphemy.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no argument with you, savagewind. Like I said. I think you are correct in your concerns about the Watchtower and their claims about the name of Jehovah and salvation. Doing it all in God's name I would think falls under the category the sin of blasphemy.

I know you are not being argumentative. I did not mean to imply you were. I'm sorry.

When Jesus said he was God's son they killed him. When the Watchtower says they are in God's place the whole world ignores them. It isn't right.

InChrist

Free4ever
I know you are not being argumentative. I did not mean to imply you were. I'm sorry.

When Jesus said he was God's son they killed him. When the Watchtower says they are in God's place the whole world ignores them. It isn't right.

No need to apologize. I didn't mean to say you are being argumentative. I just wanted to highlight again that I agree with you and have no argument with you about this topic.

I think with regard to the Watchtower all you can do is keep sharing your experience and perspective as you continue to seek the Lord's wisdom and discernment in staying true to Him alone. Hopefully, your words will encourage others be aware and seek the God Himself ather than a false representative.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have read enough to be able to conclude the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses equate themselves to Jehovah*. They do believe Jehovah is the modern name of the God of Israel יְהוָה֙ .

I wonder why Jews are silent regarding that fact that when they say Jehovah they mean the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

*An example of it is when someone leaves the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses it is said they leave Jehovah.

I have concluded in my own right that calling a human organization Jehovah is sinning against the commandment "You shall not take the name of Adonai thy God in vain".

1. Why does it not matter if a non Jew does it?
2. Is it not bad if The Name is pronounced incorrectly?

It seems to me the order of the ten commandments is significant. Why has taking The Name in vain become least significant please?

hello savage....
hang on, friend....
the name Jehovah is wrong, yes?
therefore, it might not matter to Jews or anybody if they abuse it in any way at all.

please don't come over and beat me up, but when are you going to stop being angry with them? Honest.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
hello savage....
hang on, friend....
therefore, it might not matter to Jews or anybody if they abuse it in any way at all.

please don't come over and beat me up, but when are you going to stop being angry with them? Honest.

Hm. I am not angry. Why is disagreeing called angry? Disagreeing is called a lot of bad things. I wonder why?

kjw47

hello savage....
hang on, friend....

YHWH(Jehovah) YHWH=Hebrew--- Jehovah = English)

This is the hallowed name Jesus spoke about in the Lords prayer-- also at John 17:6 and further on in John 17 where Jesus promised to keep making that name known.
Not a single mortal living has any proof the name Jehovah is wrong.

Wherenextcolumbus

This is the hallowed name Jesus spoke about in the Lords prayer-- also at John 17:6 and further on in John 17 where Jesus promised to keep making that name known.

it is a combination of YHWH or YHVH with Adonai.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I wonder why Jews are silent regarding that fact that when they say Jehovah they mean the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Two things come to mind:

1. It matters little whether you are calling one man who lived 2000 years ago God or you are calling an assembly of men God; both would equally be idolatry under Jewish law.
2. Non-Jews are not bound to Jewish law; you can whomever you want whatever you want.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Two things come to mind:

1. It matters little whether you are calling one man who lived 2000 years ago God or you are calling an assembly of men God; both would equally be idolatry under Jewish law.
2. Non-Jews are not bound to Jewish law; you can whomever you want whatever you want.

2. I understand and agree non-Jews are not bound by Jewish law. Surely the ten commandments are binding to all. How are they not binding?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
2. I understand and agree non-Jews are not bound by Jewish law. Surely the ten commandments are binding to all. How are they not binding?

Why would they be?

The Ten Utterances (Aseret ha-D'varim) are general categories that all 613 commandments fall into.
They are not laws unto themselves.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Hello.....

Yeshua never heard that word, Jehovah, nor did he use it. Come to think of it, he never heard of or used the word Jesus, either.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hm. I am not angry. Why is disagreeing called angry? Disagreeing is called a lot of bad things. I wonder why?

Hi.... I'm back!

The JW's don't commit any wrong by announcing that one of their members has left Jehovah, because that is not the correct name for God. It might be their God, but it is not many other people's.