• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and Money

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Does anyone disagree that Jesus would have advocated a voluntary redistribution of wealth towards those vulnerable to starvation and poverty? That is, outside the coercion of political and military powers, every capable individual possessing excessive wealth beyond that necessary for basic comfortable living should redirect their extensive funds towards the truly needy under a basic sense of self-transcendence?

People who live poor voluntarily need to be careful to not do so to be seen by men, or else they will fall deep into hypocrisy.

outhouse

Atheistically
You do understand they had a sort of welfare sytem back then.

the poor were allowed into the fields of farmers, of which they had to have about 10% of the crop avalible for the poor.

I consider it a blessing to be able to give my money to those in need.

My human selfish side wants to keep it for myself sometimes, but then I stop and think about it and realize that it is a wonderful thing to have the opportunity to give to others.

outhouse

Atheistically
I consider it a blessing to be able to give my money to those in need.

My human selfish side wants to keep it for myself sometimes, but then I stop and think about it and realize that it is a wonderful thing to have the opportunity to give to others.

excellent post

when I have extra i donate to good causes where I know what i offer will be used for good measure.

connermt

My question is: how do Christians manage to (apparently) ignore what Jesus said about money: "sell all your possessions and give your money to the poor", "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God", "Do not accumulate treasures on earth where moth and rust corrupt", "...you cannot serve God and money." I've heard that money was one of the things he mentioned most frequently.[etc]

You seem to be asking why christians are hypocritical. The answer is many fold, at its core is because chrsitians are people which are imperfect. To expand on that thinking is because christianity is an elitists type of religion that’s been changed so many times by power/control hungry men that anyone can make almost any idea biblically sound.
Beyond that, it’s easier to tell someone what to do that to do it yourself

4consideration

Premium Member
Does anyone disagree that Jesus would have advocated a voluntary redistribution of wealth towards those vulnerable to starvation and poverty? That is, outside the coercion of political and military powers, every capable individual possessing excessive wealth beyond that necessary for basic comfortable living should redirect their extensive funds towards the truly needy under a basic sense of self-transcendence?

We mostly agree, but not completely (unless I misunderstood your reference to the motivation for giving.) If I misunderstood, please forgive me.

I think that the life and teachings of Jesus would support voluntary redistribution on a personal level, in the form of human, friendly sharing -- but with Love as the only motivator. I think we also agree that he would not support the use of coercion or other types of force. I include instilling a sense of guilt for having more than others to be a form of spiritual coercion that I think he would not support.

The main distinction that I would make is regarding (motivation) a basic sense of self-transcendence. I would equate doing something for that purpose with seeking spriritual glory, or an effort to do something in order to rise above others. I do not think that he taught that. He taught Love as a motivator.

(Self-transcendence may or may not result from the giving, but Love is the main ingredient. It is the Beingness of the Love that adds the value to the situation. Then, the action of giving arises out of the Love.)

This example of freely giving so that all are taken care of is lovely and is a benevolent expression of the idea of seeking self-transcendence through actions. However, suicide bombers also can be said to be doing things (destructive things) under a sense of self-transcendence, and I feel sure we would agree that is not justification for the behavior.

I think simply Being Love comes first, then loving actions naturally follow from that.

We cannot control all (if any) of the results of a particular action as it works it's way through human experience. But we we can control the starting point for those actions, and the quality of the energy we put into motion, which comes from our perspective and our motivation.

I think that Jesus demonstrated Love as the great multiplier. (Loaves and fishes.) And, he often pointed out the paradoxical nature in which Love operates.

glyphkenn

Does anyone disagree that Jesus would haved advocated a voluntary redistribution of wealth towards those vulnerable to starvation and poverty? That is, outside the coercion of political and military powers, every capable individual possessing excessive wealth beyond that necessary for basic comfortable living should redirect their extensive funds towards the truly needy under a basic sense of self-transcendence?

I agree with you all the way . Money would not even be a part of that system. We have elevated money to God like statuses . Money is not a natural resource. It's crap we made. And though I don't think we should do away with it, some things shouldn't be linked to money. No one deserves to starve for lack of money. No one deserves to die a helpable disease for lack of money. kids should not go with out education for lack of money. Technology should be shared and used for world wide good . Not given to the rich and denied to the poor. There is more money made by selling to seven billion for 10 dollars than charging a million and only a few can get it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I include instilling a sense of guilt for having more than others to be a form of spiritual coercion that I think he would not support.

0_0 who told you he didn´t use guilt?

He was not shy at all to denounce what he saw as bad behaviour or even NOT GOOD ENOUGH behaviour. He was merciful to those who humbled themselves in front of him, but if he saw a hard heart, he could even call the persons "snakes".

Jesus wanted to get through, and he didn´t only use pwetty pleases with sugar on top for them for that.

4consideration

Premium Member
0_0 who told you he didn´t use guilt?

He was not shy at all to denounce what he saw as bad behaviour or even NOT GOOD ENOUGH behaviour. He was merciful to those who humbled themselves in front of him, but if he saw a hard heart, he could even call the persons "snakes".

Jesus wanted to get through, and he didn´t only use pwetty pleases with sugar on top for them for that.

I still believe that he did not use guilt.

However, in today's terminology -- if you equate pointing out that cause and effect does apply to particular situations, that specific actions can produce predictable results -- and that we would be best to avoid those actions that predictably bring undesireable results -- if that is what you mean by guilt -- then I can see your point. I do not see that as guilt, though, I see that as wisdom in dealing with reality.

In my previous reply, I was making a distinction regarding motivation for behavior -- not the specific behavior itself. Giving, as sharing, is a very desireable and beneficial action.

I certainly understand that a person that is hungery will still be fed by the same food, whether it is given from Love (as Love) or from some other motivation -- like guilt, or a desire to appear generous, fulfilling an obligation, etc.

However, those motivations themselves may produce undesirable results when applied across the board to other situations. Guilt related to giving things can easily turn into over-indulgence when a person is more focused on avoiding guilt than on what really represents the best course of action in the next situation. It is an easy mistake to make with one's children or loved ones.

I definitely agree with you that sugar-coating reality, so that it no longer represents reality is of no benefit.

If we have not reached a point of agreement at this time, I would be interested in considering what specific situations you may wish to point to that indicate the use of guilt as the motivator -- perhaps I may learn something.

Last edited: