• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Said "It Is Finished"

Nova2216

I read it very slowly. If I missed something maybe you could fill ne in.

*20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son:

This bottom part of verse 20 is speaking in general terms and not specifically to the Father and Son.

the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Thanks for asking.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
And I see it this way. We all die a physical death. Those that sin will die a spiritual death. We die physically because we are physical beings. We die spiritually because of our own sin. Not something we inherit.
Ok. Sin does not necessarily mean we die a spiritual death. For several reasons. Do you know of anyone alive beyond let's say 16 years old that has not sinned, that's an arbitrary figure not speaking of major sins such as: murder or rape, but lesser things. I'm also not speaking of someone in a coma. But if you don't believe the Bible then you truly must believe we die because?? Why?

YoursTrue

Two points. Science says animals evolve. So a dog may not always produce a dog and a cat may not always produce a cat. Second, if Adam cut off a finger, that does not mean thatt all his children would have nine fingers. This is not part of his original physical being. It is call an acquired trait. Just because Adam sinned does not mean all his children would sin. I do not sin because Adam sinned. I sin because of my own personal weakness. And maybe part of the problem is that no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Blame it on Adam. He sinned so I have no choice but to sin. Very questionable.
So far I have not seen a dog produce anything but a dog unless he interbreeds perhaps with something like a wolf. Anyway they both die. Humans were meant to live without dying.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
rrobs,
Water baptism was only for Jesus, not you, I, or anybody else?

I think there were plenty of people who were baptized by John in water, just like there are plenty of people who have been baptized in holy spirit.
For those who were baptized in water Acts 8:36-39, 10:47-48 and more, after the time John's baptism ended, no one in the NT ever wrote anything saying that was mistaken, or bad.

Nova2216

Read the first chapter of Genesis where God talks about "seed." Essentially the seed of something always produces the like kind. A dog seed (sperm) will always produce another dog, a cat seed (sperm) will always produce another cat, etc.

Adam became a sinner when he disobeyed God. What, then, would his offspring be? Another sinner. What do sinners do? They sin!

Put another way, we are not sinners because we commit sins. We commit sins because we are sinners. We are just acting out our nature. Dogs bark, cats meow, and sinners commit sins.

Our individual sins are not the problem. The problem is our sin nature, which we inherited from Adam.

Rom 5:12,

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Death was not in the world until Adam sinned. Unfortunately, we are all left to share the consequences.

The solution?

Rom 5:15,

But not as the offence, so also [is] the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, [which is] by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
One man's sin makes us all sinners but one man's death (and resurrection) makes us all saints. Yeah Jesus!

The above also explains why Jesus was different than all other men. He did not inherit the same corrupted seed as all other men. Instead God miraculously implanted a brand new seed that did did not come from sinful man, but from God Himself. Of course it was up to Jesus to keep himself sinless by always obeying God, something Adam failed to do.

God bless.

Can you harmonize your explanation with (Ezek.18:20)?

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Truth will always harmonize with the word of God.

Thanks

rrobs

Two points. Science says animals evolve. So a dog may not always produce a dog and a cat may not always produce a cat. Second, if Adam cut off a finger, that does not mean thatt all his children would have nine fingers. This is not part of his original physical being. It is call an acquired trait. Just because Adam sinned does not mean all his children would sin. I do not sin because Adam sinned. I sin because of my own personal weakness. And maybe part of the problem is that no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Blame it on Adam. He sinned so I have no choice but to sin. Very questionable.
I gather you don't believe the scriptures. How did you come to all those conclusions?

rrobs

Can you harmonize your explanation with (Ezek.18:20)?

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Truth will always harmonize with the word of God.

Thanks
Ezekiel doesn't say the father or son won't commit their own sins. They absolutely will according to the scriptures I quoted. Not so difficult to understand.

Do you have another explanation of how Romans 5:12 and Ezekiel 18:20 harmonize?

rrobs

Notice the word "PROMISE" in (Acts 2:39).----> It's to all the Lord "CALLS"

The Lord "CALLS" the sinners out of the world and into the kingdom of God (Body of Christ / The Church / In Christ) (Mark 16:15,16) (Mt.28:18-20) (1Peter 3:20,21) (Gal.3:27) (Rom.6:3-6).

The (land / seed / nation) "PROMISE" refers to God blessing Abraham in (Gen. Chapters 12 -16)

Part of his "PROMISE" is mentioned in (Jer.31:31-34).

34 for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.(Heb.8:6-13)

This "PROMISE" would come through "THY SEED" (Gal.3:16)
(Gal.4:4)

"THY SEED" refers to Christ who died for our sins (Mt.26:28).

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins

It (the PROMISE) would be the forgiveness of sins. (Acts2:38)

Not the gift(S) (miraculous).

But GIFT (singular)

"GIFT" = "PROMISE" OF FORGIVENESS OF SINS. (Acts 2:38,39) (Jer.31:31-34)
I think you may have read Acts a bit to fast.

Acts 2:38,

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
You could have seen the gift Peter was talking about was holy spirit without having to have gone through 20 other scriptures. It's right there in the verse itself.

I also think you may still be calling the nine manifestations of the spirit gifts. They are not gifts. The gift is holy spirit. Since it is spirit, it can not be seen, heard, smelled, tasted, or touched. As such it would be of little value in helping us in the here and now on this material world. Therefore God was wise enough to make it possible to manifest the spirit into the material world in nine different ways. Tongues, interpretation of tongues, prophecy, etc. are not gifts. They are manifestations of the gift of holy spirit. Try reading 1 Cor 12 with an open mind, free of preconceived ideas.

The manifestations are how we do the works Jesus did. It is showing the power of God to the world. No wonder the devil has made it a priority to talk Christians out of energizing the gift of holy spirit. He's done a pretty good job of it, I'm afraid.

lostwanderingsoul

I posted (Ezekiel 18:20) and I know the word of God does not contradict itself.

If I can be of any help let me know.

Thanks for posting.

yes you can be a lot of help. I said it is contradictory. Is a person responsible for his parents sins or not? Do we all bear Adam's sin or not?

lostwanderingsoul

I posted (Ezekiel 18:20) and I know the word of God does not contradict itself.

If I can be of any help let me know.

Thanks for posting.
You can be a lot of help. I said it is contradictory. Do we have responsibility for our parents sin or not? Do we bear Adam's sins or not?

lostwanderingsoul

Ok. Sin does not necessarily mean we die a spiritual death. For several reasons. Do you know of anyone alive beyond let's say 16 years old that has not sinned, that's an arbitrary figure not speaking of major sins such as: murder or rape, but lesser things. I'm also not speaking of someone in a coma. But if you don't believe the Bible then you truly must believe we die because?? Why?
Spiritual death is the result of sin. Our own sin. Not Adam's sin. But if those sins are forgiven we will not die spiritual but have eternal spiritual life.

lostwanderingsoul

So far I have not seen a dog produce anything but a dog unless he interbreeds perhaps with something like a wolf. Anyway they both die. Humans were meant to live without dying.
The dog part was just a jab at science. Humans have two parts. A physical body and a non physical spirit. Both CAN die. It does not matter what man was meant to do. We all die physically. Those who sin are sentenced to spiritual death. But Christ can forgive those sins and remove the death penalty.

lostwanderingsoul

I gather you don't believe the scriptures. How did you come to all those conclusions?
Maybe it would be easier for you to tell me what part of it is wrong. Are you responsible for you own sin or are you forced to sin because Adam sinned. Sounds like a poor excuse to me.

rrobs

Maybe it would be easier for you to tell me what part of it is wrong. Are you responsible for you own sin or are you forced to sin because Adam sinned. Sounds like a poor excuse to me.
I already said it. You have other ideas. That's fine. I don't want to argue. I just wondered where you get your ideas. I get mine from the scriptures.

rrobs

rrobs,
For those who were baptized in water Acts 8:36-39, 10:47-48 and more, after the time John's baptism ended, no one in the NT ever wrote anything saying that was mistaken, or bad.
You are correct in saying nobody ever said water baptism was a mistake or something bad. I myself specifically said nothing was wrong with it, that it won't hurt anything. I did say holy spirit replaced baptism. I used the following two verses as proof texts.

Luke 3:16,

John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:
Acts 1:5,

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
What do you think they say if not that holy spirit replaces, and is of course far superior to, water?

By the way, nobody ever said anything about the daily animal sacrifices being a mistake or something bad. Does your church do the daily morning and evening animal sacrifices?

Are you sure you fully appreciate what Jesus did for you? It sounds like you want to follow the program that was in effect before Jesus came.

YoursTrue

rrobs,
And, I might add two things: I don't think the Ethiopian eunuch was under a mistaken notion when he wanted to get baptized in water, and Jesus set the pace (for righteousness). He said he is the way, and the life. Water baptism seems right now to be following his pattern. He had nothing to repent for, but he got baptized. His baptism was making a profound statement. His ministry after that did not last very long -- 3-1/2 years if I remember correctly. From his baptism on until his death.

YoursTrue

Spiritual death is the result of sin. Our own sin. Not Adam's sin. But if those sins are forgiven we will not die spiritual but have eternal spiritual life.
We inherit sin and death from Adam. It's in our psyche and that is also connected with our dna. A infant can't hold to righteousness because as the scriptures indicate, it doesn't know right from left until -- it's taught. This does not mean, however, that the child is not prone to sin as it grows up and begins 'thinking.' I can't remember anything that happened in my mother's womb, or the crib. Maybe some can remember something from their first 6 months, I doubt it, however.

rrobs

And, I might add two things: I don't think the Ethiopian eunuch was under a mistaken notion when he wanted to get baptized in water, and Jesus set the pace (for righteousness). He said he is the way, and the life. Water baptism seems right now to be following his pattern. He had nothing to repent for, but he got baptized. His baptism was making a profound statement. His ministry after that did not last very long -- 3-1/2 years if I remember correctly. From his baptism on until his death.
Do you understand that the book of Acts was a transition between the OT and the NT? The day of Pentecost brought about an incredibly radical change. Would it be reasonable to assume the Jews, who had practiced their faith for some 3,000 years should instantly change? Of course not. It took time and that time is what the book of Acts covers.

Look at all the mistakes the Apostles made in the gospels. Jesus was constantly correcting them, especially those made by Peter. No, it would be totally unreasonable to expect these slow learners to instantly grasp the change brought about by Jesus' death and resurrection.

But it's not hard to understand why they didn't grasp the new doctrine right away. To this day, the church still does not understand the simple, yet profound, change in the field of baptism.

John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
If that doesn't say holy spirit will replace water, then words have no meaning, because both verses are quite plain in declaring that holy spirit is far superior to water. The early church didn't fully grasp that, and, by and large, the modern church is still in the dark. It's a matter of tradition vs. truth. Sadly, for too many sincere Christians, tradition is the source of doctrine, not truth. Hopefully it'll change. We'll have a revival and the scriptures will once again reign supreme in the church as it was in days of Paul (Acts 19:20) before they all abandoned him (2 Tim 1:15).

YoursTrue

Do you understand that the book of Acts was a transition between the OT and the NT? The day of Pentecost brought about an incredibly radical change. Would it be reasonable to assume the Jews, who had practiced their faith for some 3,000 years should instantly change? Of course not. It took time and that time is what the book of Acts covers.

Look at all the mistakes the Apostles made in the gospels. Jesus was constantly correcting them, especially those made by Peter. No, it would be totally unreasonable to expect these slow learners to instantly grasp the change brought about by Jesus' death and resurrection.

But it's not hard to understand why they didn't grasp the new doctrine right away. To this day, the church still does not understand the simple, yet profound, change in the field of baptism.

If that doesn't say holy spirit will replace water, then words have no meaning, because both verses are quite plain in declaring that holy spirit is far superior to water. The early church didn't fully grasp that, and, by and large, the modern church is still in the dark. It's a matter of tradition vs. truth. Sadly, for too many sincere Christians, tradition is the source of doctrine, not truth. Hopefully it'll change. We'll have a revival and the scriptures will once again reign supreme in the church as it was in days of Paul (Acts 19:20) before they all abandoned him (2 Tim 1:15).
Jesus got baptized. He was perfect. His baptism meant something. It didn't mean repentance. He totally immersed himself in water. Obviously people who lived and died before Christ were not able to get baptized in Jesus name.