• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus thought polygamy is OK!

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Polygamy has been a practice in the Middle East and Africa for thousands of years, and they've never stopped practicing it. Judaism technically still allows it but they don't practice it at the moment. Christianity picked up monogamous marriage from European culture (Romans, although the other European peoples also practiced monogamous marriage). It was never really a thing in Christianity.

But Christianity started from middle east

jimb

Premium Member
Good.

Now that you understand it is not your problem, and you have lowered your risk of a brain bleed, we are making progress.

You are never too old to reflect, so perhaps re-read this thread and see if you missed anything. Or go outside and play, it is your birthday after all.
Thankfully, I enjoyed my birthday without reading your nonsense.

jimb

Premium Member
Polygamy has been a practice in the Middle East and Africa for thousands of years, and they've never stopped practicing it. Judaism technically still allows it but they don't practice it at the moment. Christianity picked up monogamous marriage from European culture (Romans, although the other European peoples also practiced monogamous marriage). It was never really a thing in Christianity.

Jesus Christ never endorsed polygamy (regardless of what Martin Luther supposedly wrote). It is a misreading of part of the New Testament (intentionally?)

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Jesus Christ never endorsed polygamy (regardless of what Martin Luther supposedly wrote). It is a misreading of part of the New Testament (intentionally?)

Jesus did not teach polygamy. But, He also did not rebuke those who had multiple wives. Yet, He rebuked them for divorcing. So, why He did not rebuke them for polygamy?

jimb

Premium Member
I am more than pleased that I have certain people on "ignore" status, as they have nothing of value to contribute.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Where did Jesus "not rebuke those who had multiple wives"?
Okay, you were right that the Matthew passage was twisting what the Bible said. Seven serial husbands wouldn't be polygamy. But here you screwed up. You would need to show where Jesus rebuked a man for having multiple wives. He could have responded to you by saying:

"The Bible."

GoodAttention

Okay, you were right that the Matthew passage was twisting what the Bible said. Seven serial husbands wouldn't be polygamy.

If I can interject, given I was the one who raised this question that seemed to bring out some overcompensating emotions in one responder.

I challenge any Christian to show me a verse that is attributed to Jesus speaking, or even any quote in the New Testament, of husband and wife, besides saying you cannot divorce.

Seven serial husbands is not polygamy, BUT the next verse talks specifically about WHO the wife will join in heaven. Those asking the questions were thinking, hey, in heaven isn't this woman going to have 7 husbands TOGETHER?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If I can interject, given I was the one who raised this question that seemed to bring out some overcompensating emotions in one responder.

I challenge any Christian to show me a verse that is attributed to Jesus speaking, or even any quote in the New Testament, of husband and wife, besides saying you cannot divorce.

Seven serial husbands is not polygamy, BUT the next verse talks specifically about WHO the wife will join in heaven. Those asking the questions were thinking, hey, in heaven isn't this woman going to have 7 husbands TOGETHER?
If I remember correctly it is thought by many that there is no marriage in heaven. The old standard saying in a marriage was "Till death do us part". You could always look it up.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The best "source" to go to is to what Jesus supposedly said. And in Matthew 22 30 he makes it rather clear:

"30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

GoodAttention

The best "source" to go to is to what Jesus supposedly said. And in Matthew 22 30 he makes it rather clear:

"30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

Agreed, but none has been wise enough to confirm or deny what OP is claiming.

My point is Jesus only talks about marriage in the verses I mentioned.

The challenge remains, but Martin Luther made his point which many consider wise.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Agreed, but none has been wise enough to confirm or deny what OP is claiming.

My point is Jesus only talks about marriage in the verses I mentioned.

The challenge remains, but Martin Luther made his point which many consider wise.
I would say that the OP may very well have misinterpreted that verse. I do not see it implying that anything more than dining was occurring at the banquet and that only the bridegroom and the 'ten virgins" were the only ones there. It was a banquet. Not a bed chamber.

GoodAttention

I would say that the OP may very well have misinterpreted that verse. I do not see it implying that anything more than dining was occurring at the banquet and that only the bridegroom and the 'ten virgins" were the only ones there. It was a banquet. Not a bed chamber.

Now that I’ve read it again, what it sounds like is the vatna ceremony.

You are right, the ten virgin girls are mostly brides maids or friends who bathe the bride in oil in front of lamps lit by oil at night, so to make the bride appear more beautiful for the brides groom.

After this is done the bride and groom only see each other on their wedding day.

Banquet could be a mistranslation, and shutting the door to imply the Kingdom of Heaven is so beautiful it radiates even in darkness.

jimb

Premium Member

The entire situation is hypothetical! The (wise guy) Sadducees created a scenario in order to trap Jesus into some sort of doctrinal error. The entire situation is hypothetical! Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God." In other words, He knew what they were up to, and his response clearly uncovered their true motive. (It reminds me of some of the "wise" people on this forum!)