• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jesus walked on earth

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Eh, okay... so since everyone on this planet was born, you don't think that anyone was created.

No one was created in the magical sense of poof... bang.. there they are.
The universe was created. The rest has developed and evolved from there. following the implanted laws.
All that was needed for that to come to pass, was the scientific laws that now drive the universe and everything in it.

syo

So how does Jesus save you from doing that? Ultimately, isn't it your choice to not do that?
jesus sets the rules of no harming. it is like obeying to no harm others and that way we choose not to harm others because that is asked from us. i won't harm you and you know that i won't harm you, that kind of thing.

syo

Why would anyone follow a religion that bases its view on passive expressive guilt and obedience?
the guilt is that we all can harm. all humans are capable of harming others. obedience to goodness is a good thing.

QuestioningMind

No one was created in the magical sense of poof... bang.. there they are.
The universe was created. The rest has developed and evolved from there. following the implanted laws.
All that was needed for that to come to pass, was the scientific laws that now drive the universe and everything in it.

I seriously doubt that when most people say that they were created by God that they mean poof... bang...there you are. So I'm still not really sure what you're saying. Are you here because a creator god created you or are you simply here because your parents united their DNA?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
the guilt is that we all can harm. all humans are capable of harming others. obedience to goodness is a good thing.

If I go throughout the rest of my life and still have not harmed anyone why would I need obedience when my own morals do not require me to do no harm but I don't harm anyone because of my desire to help people instead?

That, and wouldn't I need to harm someone to understand why obeying is much more beneficial than going off my innate desire to not harm anyone not just for my benefit but for the benefit of others as well?

syo

If I go throughout the rest of my life and still have not harmed anyone why would I need obedience when my own morals do not require me to do no harm but I don't harm anyone because of my desire to help people instead?

That, and wouldn't I need to harm someone to understand why obeying is much more beneficial than going off my innate desire to not harm anyone not just for my benefit but for the benefit of others as well?
the human mind is complicated. it can easily shift from good to harm.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
that you are a good person. and without knowing you fullfiled jesus's teachings.

Do you think it goes deeper than that?

The Buddha taught this same thing so I would literally need to believe in more concrete teachings of christ in order to differentiate his teachings from The Buddhas.

Without god, how can I fulfill christ's teachings?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I seriously doubt that when most people say that they were created by God that they mean poof... bang...there you are. So I'm still not really sure what you're saying. Are you here because a creator god created you or are you simply here because your parents united their DNA?

It may or may not have been Gods intention, I am not convinced God sees the need to micromanage his creation to that extent. But it was certainly between my mother and father.
I am also not sure my human existance was inevitable. As I do not believe in predestination.
Which is very much a Calvinistic belief.

How ever if god had not wished me to be here, I would not be here.
Which begs the question, Why are Evil People ever born..?

QuestioningMind

It may or may not have been Gods intention, I am not convinced God sees the need to micromanage his creation to that extent. But it was certainly between my mother and father.
I am also not sure my human existance was inevitable. As I do not believe in predestination.
Which is very much a Calvinistic belief.

How ever if god had not wished me to be here, I would not be here.
Which begs the question, Why are Evil People ever born..?

It's enough to make one wonder is there's a creator God involved at all.

syo

Do you think it goes deeper than that?

The Buddha taught this same thing so I would literally need to believe in more concrete teachings of christ in order to differentiate his teachings from The Buddhas.

you fulfill the message of love. i think it's more important than theology. you can be an atheist and a good person.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
you fulfill the message of love. i think it's more important than theology. you can be an atheist and a good person.

From my experience with both religions, I find it goes deeper than love. The theology explains it but a lot of christian practices are part of the love that makes it concrete. So, for example salvation through Christ Passion is not taught in Buddhism because we don't agree that one needs to sacrifice one's life in order to save another person. So the love a Christian gets from sacrifice is different than one gets from life.

We express them somewhat the same but I wouldn't say I'm a christian unless I believed in sacrifice, salvation, and christ father.

Reactions: syo

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It's enough to make one wonder is there's a creator God involved at all.

I do not doubt that there was a creation, in that the universe exists, and at one time it did not.
What ever caused such a thing I am happey to call the Creator.
That being so it is reasonable to suggest he had a reason to do so.
It is far, far less certain that it had anything to do with, or for the benefit of a short lived species of animal living on an minor plant on the rim of a late generation galaxy.

We some what Overblow our own importance and place in this universe.

That all being said, a God that can create a universe is not to be dismissed lightly.
And he may indeed have a place for us, and a reason for us to exist.
However there is no evidences that he micro manages us.
It is also reasonable to suppose that he would not wish us to destroy our world or indeed any of his creations, including ourselves.
That is where the concept of Gods love comes in.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@syo

The Buddha doesn't restrict love to Buddhist but for all human beings. He says if we want to specifically end rebirth, however, we follow his teachings.

Is it the same with christianity in your view. Anyone believe what christ taught about love by displaying love in and of itself, but if one wants to be saved, they need they need specific guidance from christ and no one else?

QuestioningMind

I do not doubt that there was a creation, in that the universe exists, and at one time it did not.
What ever caused such a thing I am happey to call the Creator.
That being so it is reasonable to suggest he had a reason to do so.
It is far, far less certain that it had anything to do with, or for the benefit of a short lived species of animal living on an minor plant on the rim of a late generation galaxy.

We some what Overblow our own importance and place in this universe.

That all being said, a God that can create a universe is not to be dismissed lightly.
And he may indeed have a place for us, and a reason for us to exist.
However there is no evidences that he micro manages us.
It is also reasonable to suppose that he would not wish us to destroy our world or indeed any of his creations, including ourselves.
That is where the concept of Gods love comes in.

Yes, the universe as we know it came into existence at some point. But if the universe as we know it came into existence by random chance, it would be rather silly to suggest that it had a reason. So until someone can provide evidence that it's more likely that a complex all powerful creator being made our current universe than random chance, I find it rather easy to dismiss a creator God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, this question really intrigues me! I'm just going to jump in and see what I might have to say to this. :)

Can someone who does not have a belief in a theistic deity, fulfill Jesus' teachings? I would say most definitely yes! How? Because Jesus taught that love was the fulfilment of God's law. If you love, if you have compassion, if you don't not judge others, if show mercy and forgiveness, as well as a full devotion to Ultimate Truth, then you fulfill Jesus' teaching. He instructs to love God, but God is understood in many different ways. He was not about believing "correct doctrine", whatever that steaming pile that might be. He was about the heart and the soul, not the head and "beliefs" or practices, observances of religious traditions, or any such demand.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
they can have guidance by someone who teaches about love. like buddha.

I disagree. The Buddha does not teach of love of scripture. The love coming from scripture is sacrifice by the death of jesus christ. No buddha nor The Buddha would teach that love comes from someone's death.

Are you christian? I don't know any christian nor scripture that says believing in love in general means one believes in christ and his father as well as other teachers outside of scripture.