• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Messiah

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I commonly read Christians posting on here saying something like: 'The Jews expected a warrior messiah who would be a king..' etc. etc. So I ask the Christians now: why do you think the Jews expected and/or expect this? Could you cite any verses in the Tanakh to this effect? If the Jews were near uniformly expecting such a messiah this belief must be backed up with something. What is that something?
Did you say if you are expecting messiah? If you are, what do you expect of him? I was going to say moshiach, but either way...

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you say if you are expecting messiah? If you are, what do you expect of him? I was going to say moshiach, but either way...
Wtf.

Please just answer the question or don't bother with the thread.

YoursTrue

Wtf.

Please just answer the question or don't bother with the thread.
Aside from your use of filthy description, if I want to and can use the thread I will. Your attitude is wanting. Bye anyway and hope you learn to speak more appropriately, hope you feel better, dear. But thanks for letting me know who you are. :) Hope things get better for you...

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Aside from your use of filthy description, if I want to and can use the thread I will. Your attitude is wanting. Bye anyway and hope you learn to speak more appropriately, hope you feel better, dear. But thanks for letting me know who you are. :) Hope things get better for you...
Perhaps folks wouldn't be so rude to you if you didn't turn their questions on them. The OP isn't about me or my beliefs and it is a dishonest tactic to ask me for mine instead of giving your own understanding. I tire of it being used on here. Either answer the OP or don't.

Do you know why the Jewish expectations are different?

YoursTrue

"Jewish*" Messiah

Yes, for a truthful *Israelite circumcision is essential as an apparent sign, as we get from Torah, right?
Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful *Israelite Messiah was circumcised, why didn't Luke follow him in this connection, please, right?
In that case his "inspired utterances" also become questionable/doubtful/made-up, please, right?

Regards
The Bible really does not say if Luke was a circumcized Jew or not but we do know that circumcision for followers of Christ was not mandatory after a while. please, right?

YoursTrue

Perhaps folks wouldn't be so rude to you if you didn't turn their questions on them. The OP isn't about me or my beliefs and it is a dishonest tactic to ask me for mine instead of giving your own understanding. I tire of it being used on here. Either answer the OP or don't.

In order for me to understand someone I like to know how they view things. Anyway, have a good one and your attitude is very belligerent and maybe later.

YoursTrue

Jewish expectations, btw? Research has shown that the majority of Jews don't even believe the Torah, so what's the point of your asking about "Jewish" expectations? (Have a good one anyway)

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Jewish expectations, btw? Research has shown that the majority of Jews don't even believe the Torah, so what's the point of your asking about "Jewish" expectations? (Have a good one anyway)
You are clearly interested in this thread. That's fine; but it is not about me or my beliefs. I am an Anglican.

You are continuously making this about things it isn't, though.

Many, if not most, Jews in the 1st century AD rejected Jesus' claims to Messiahship. One understands that they had intellectual, theological reasons for this rejection. Many Christians will say this is because Jesus did not meet their expectations; Jews will agree.

I am asking what you believe those expectations to have been.

In other words, do you have a sufficient enough understanding of the other side of the argument that you feel yours is secure.

YoursTrue

You are clearly interested in this thread. That's fine; but it is not about me or my beliefs. I am an Anglican.

Many, if not most, Jews in the 1st century AD rejected Jesus' claims to Messiahship. One understands that they had intellectual, theological reasons for this rejection. Many Christians will say this is because Jesus did not meet their expectations; Jews will agree.

In other words, do you have a sufficient enough understanding of the other side of the argument that you feel yours is secure.
Oh, I don't know why I thought you were a Jew. That's why I wondered about your headdress because most Jewish women don't cover their heads like that, if they're very religious they wear a wig if they're married.

YoursTrue

What you call the "intellectual theological reasons" are obviously in dispute. So have a good one, take care and calm down.

YoursTrue

Perhaps a Jew well versed in that aspect of that religion can answer. Sorry if I asked questions that annoyed you. I think they're still waiting, if you recall or know about M. Schneerson I'm not sure if there are still guards around his grave in case he is resurrected.

YoursTrue

Why does this matter? Are there no other Jewish sources that you consider valid?
Seems they didn't like when he resurrected Lazarus and then said he was the son of God. That seems to have been the clincher that got him in deep trouble with the Sanhedrin.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps a Jew well versed in that aspect of that religion can answer. Sorry if I asked questions that annoyed you. I think they're still waiting, if you recall or know about M. Schneerson I'm not sure if there are still guards around his grave in case he is resurrected.
Your attachment to Rabbi Schneerson is noted, but do you have an answer for my OP?

Why don't the Jews believe Jesus is the messiah?

Last edited:

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Oh, I don't know why I thought you were a Jew. That's why I wondered about your headdress because most Jewish women don't cover their heads like that, if they're very religious they wear a wig if they're married.

I'm a Jew and, actually, there are many Orthodox Jewish women who do cover their heads with a scarf that is called (in Yiddish) a tichel. There are various ways of wearing a tichel -- including the way that @Rival is shown wearing her headdress in her profile picture. Although I don't know whether that was her intention or not.

Regarding your comment about the Rebbe (of blessed memory) in which you appear to be comparing Chabad with the beliefs of Christians...
Unlike Christianity's emphasis on the resurrection of Jesus, resurrection is not a requirement of Judaism's Moshiach (Messiah). In Judaism, resurrection is related to the Messianic era -- not the individual. In other words, when Moshiach appears and ushers in the Messianic era, we are ALL going to be resurrected. Additionally, very religious Jews believe that all tzadikim (righteous spiritual leaders) continue to live on spiritually after their physical deaths. Chabadniks simply place an emphasis on the Rebbe because he is Chabad's tzadik.

This is merely my humble understanding of the tenets of my faith. I don't speak for all Jews, and I accept any correction from any more knowledgeable Jew here.

Last edited:

Ebionite

That makes sense to me. Of course the aftermath needs to follow that, but that scripture sure makes sense to me. :)
Qodesh means set-apart. Something that is set-apart is not the same as what it is set apart from. For example, the "holy spirit" is set-apart from other spirits.

Bthoth

I commonly read Christians posting on here saying something like: 'The Jews expected a warrior messiah who would be a king..' etc. etc. So I ask the Christians now: why do you think the Jews expected and/or expect this?
Because the warrior type expresses a strength to take what is claimed to be holy.
Could you cite any verses in the Tanakh to this effect?
yes but not this evening.
If the Jews were near uniformly expecting such a messiah this belief must be backed up with something. What is that something?
the 'per se' destruction of enemies.

What is funny is how that scope is perceived.