• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan Peterson on Sex

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, first off, the revolution is still going. Unfortunately, it keeps getting set back by the puritan repression of right wing Christians who whine about less government from one side of their mouth and then demand that education that makes them uncomfortable be denied out of the other.
Indeed! What our society really needs is MORE debauchery and MORE degeneracy! Go team!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed! What our society really needs is MORE debauchery and MORE degeneracy! Go team!

Who gets to define "debauchery" and "degeneracy" for everyone?

Many people think of homosexuality, premarital sex, or even friendships between men and women as such. Their views dictate everyone else's lives in places like Iran, Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia. I'm glad that doesn't happen in any developed country.

Firenze

Premium Member

Many people think of homosexuality, premarital sex, or even friendships between men and women as such. Their views dictate everyone else's lives in places like Iran, Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia. I'm glad that doesn't happen in any developed country.
It's obviously happening here as well. 'Don't say Gay' being just one example. The demonization of trans people seeking to match their physical appearance with their brain chemistry being another.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Society does, like it or not.
You are welcome to explain the errors in their thinking to them anytime. I'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
A lot of his positions contradict those of medical organizations and are based more on personal views and ideology than peer-reviewed evidence, such as his simplification of the "masculine" and "feminine" into "archetypes" of "order" and "chaos" and his ideas on monogamy that literally no major organization of psychologists supports. This is without touching on some of his views on gender dysphoria, some of which are, again, a major divergence from current peer-reviewed positions, or his "lobster" argument that other experts have responded to and refuted in detail.

I suspect that Peterson himself probably knows this, hence his promulgation of many of his views in personal lectures, heavily partisan outlets (e.g., the Daily Wire), and books that don't need to pass peer review rather than in rigorous academic circles or peer-reviewed publications.
IMV - there are always differences in most any field and more-so in this particular one.

But, as I view it, the Occam's Razor's position that "usually the simplest answer is usually correct" may apply here. If we look at the history, as sexuality changed beyond the monogamous, simple definitions of "male and female" positions, and the intimacy between the opposite sexes changed to more complex definitions, the society usually deteriorated and succumbed to the destruction of that society.

According to this site, there is a correlation between sexual permissiveness and the deterioration of that society.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Society does, like it or not.

Society doesn't agree on everything, and it has been the case on many occasions throughout history that prevalent social norms haven't been humane, respectful of basic rights, or conducive to coexistence.

If you choose to appeal to society, what do you think of the prevalent social norms concerning sexuality in Iran or Pakistan? Does said norms' prevalence lend them any credence or merit?

You are welcome to explain the errors in their thinking to them anytime. I'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

I don't know what this comment has to do with the substance of what I said. It comes across as venting or snark rather than a reasoned argument.

There are indeed many people who have explained what's wrong with those societies' theocratic restrictions on individual freedoms. It's unsafe to do so unless one lives in another country, though, and there are many factors involved in perpetuating such restrictions beyond what debates or critical explanations can change on their own.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's precisely why the US has the highest sex crime rates of any industrialized nation. It's also why European countries have had unisex restrooms for decades while repressed Americans lose their minds over the thought of it - following the religious bigotry and ignorance that allows them to demonize gay and trans people. Christianity has much to answer for.
When it comes to Jordan Peterson you can't blame the US. For once it is proper to:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes, the opinions of a pastor of All Saints of North America Orthodox Church and an Orthodox priest under the Russian Orthodox Outside of Russia.
Apparently you didn't read it... please note what who he is quoting:

"A non-Christian, and as relativistic as any modern anthropologist,"

Potentially what this means is that you simply don't agree (not a problem, many people don't) - but do read the historical evidence from a non-christian.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Excuse me, but what the hell else is there to do? I think we've done quite enough!
There are still animals and small children....
Society doesn't agree on everything, and it has been the case on many occasions throughout history that prevalent social norms haven't been humane, respectful of basic rights, or conducive to coexistence.
Oh, but societies do decide what is ok and what is not ok within its jurisdiction.
If you choose to appeal to society, what do you think of the prevalent social norms concerning sexuality in Iran or Pakistan? Does said norms' prevalence lend them any credence or merit?
I don't agree with them, but they have every right to do whatever they like in their own country.
There are indeed many people who have explained what's wrong with those societies' theocratic restrictions on individual freedoms. It's unsafe to do so unless one lives in another country, though, and there are many factors involved in perpetuating such restrictions beyond what debates or critical explanations can change on their own.
and...

Firenze

Premium Member
IMV - there are always differences in most any field and more-so in this particular one.

But, as I view it, the Occam's Razor's position that "usually the simplest answer is usually correct" may apply here. If we look at the history, as sexuality changed beyond the monogamous, simple definitions of "male and female" positions, and the intimacy between the opposite sexes changed to more complex definitions, the society usually deteriorated and succumbed to the destruction of that society.

According to this site, there is a correlation between sexual permissiveness and the deterioration of that society.

And where are these advanced societies with grossly paternalistic attitudes about sex that are the envy of the world?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Sure, but many of Peterson's differences are rooted in individual belief, not peer-reviewed evidence. There's a reason that some differing theories in psychology have academic support despite not being in full agreement with one another. On the other hand, some of Peterson's views are almost entirely divorced from the positions of any reputable psychology organization and aren't backed up by any peer-reviewed research.

Currently, the world's most prosperous and wealthiest societies are far more sexually permissive than most of the developing and third world. I think one would need to analyze individual examples of supposed deterioration to see whether they were related to sexual norms at all in the first place.

As for the website, I don't see any evidence or fact-based arguments in that article. It's conspicuously preachy and ideological, which doesn't surprise me considering the description of the site:

I am Fr. John A. Peck, pastor of All Saints of North America Orthodox Church in Sun City, a suburb of Phoenix, Arizona, and an Orthodox priest under the Russian Orthodox Outside of Russia.

This is my personal blog, and its theme is “The Orthodox Church of Tomorrow.” It is the theme and premise of my priesthood that our Lord is building a more vital, more dynamic and more functional church, a radically Orthodox Church on American soil, and that we are participants in this building. I write on the topics which advance this idea: preaching, teaching, practical missiology and their place in the American Orthodox Mission. I am particularly interested in the use of new media in Gospel outreach and evangelism.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, but societies do decide what is ok and what is not ok within its jurisdiction.

Yes, just as some societies practiced slavery within their own jurisdictions. I don't think that says anything about the validity of any given set of social norms; it only states that the norms are popular or prevalent within a specific region.

I don't agree with them, but they have every right to do whatever they like in their own country.

See above. Also, I disagree: I don't think the majority anywhere have a right to abuse or persecute minorities. However, they often do so because they can, so what ends up happening in many cases is that the abuse only stops or is minimized when prevalent social attitudes change due to a multitude of factors (e.g., the economy, education system, exposure to other cultures with more tolerant norms, etc.).