• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith - Prophet of God

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think its wrong to assume the temples were large and nowhere does it indicate such. When Nephi says it was after the manner of Soloman I take that to mean they were similar, but not the same. In geometry terms, this means the shape may have been the same, but not the size.

Also, you're right. Other apologists have said things opposite of Lindsay. Lets not forget, none of this is settled and many theories are allowed - just as there are different theories of evolution.
In this very thread, other Mormons stated that we have no way of knowing where in North or South America the BoM peoples settled. You however have committed yourself, which makes it easier to refute.

Well, just as the theory of evolution, except that ToE is well evidence, and the theory that near eastern immigrants settled Meso-America has no substantial credible evidence to support it.

I believe you're lumping things together - lets take these one by one. As for the issue you quoted from Lindsay's site - are there temples comparable to that of the Near East? The answer is Yes.
That's not the question. There are some temples in some places in America that bear some resemblance to some temples in the ancient near east? Yes. Are there temples in MesoAmerica built by the immigrants described in the BoM? Clearly not.

I didn't lump, I listed several things separately. For the BoM people to have built these temples, we would expect to find evidence of all of these things. We find evidence of none of them. The evidence shows that what is described in the BoM did not happen in MesoAmerica, which is where you said it happened. Therefore, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Which of the things you've listed would you like to tackle next?
Take them in order. No smelting. No metals. No wheat. No cities. No chariots. No swords. No cities. No herding culture. No cattle. No horses. No elephants. No archeological evidence that matches what the BoM says. Which is why no professional archeologist, including Mormon archeologists, assert that there is archeological evidence to support the BoM. And yet you persist in believing it. Why?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What I'm saying is, by the holy texts of other religions, Smith is a false prophet.
Well, if that isn't a brilliant observation. :biglaugh: Too bad nobody's holy texts can be proven to be infallible. Back to square one.

What don't you undertsand about that ?
Oh, I understand it, all right. I just wondered why you would bother stating such an obvious point, as if what Mohammad had to say has any bearing whatsoever on this discussion.

I don't buy that BOM, because as I've repeatedly said, it has zero veracity in the real world.
It has no veracity in your real world. Your real world has little resemblance to mine. For some reason, you don't seem to deal with that very well.

nutshell

In this very thread, other Mormons stated that we have no way of knowing where in North or South America the BoM peoples settled. You however have committed yourself, which makes it easier to refute.

I committed myself to what??? We were discussing Lindsay's website and I've made no claims about BoM locations. To be honest, I am not a literalist and do not base my faith on whether the BoM includes events that actually happened or not. I view it as mythology - a collection of stories meant to teach a particular culture Truth.

Well, just as the theory of evolution, except that ToE is well evidence, and the theory that near eastern immigrants settled Meso-America has no substantial credible evidence to support it.

Doesn't the Lindsay website describe the temples found in Meso-America and make comparisons to the Temple of Soloman??? Did I miss something???

That's not the question. There are some temples in some places in America that bear some resemblance to some temples in the ancient near east? Yes. Are there temples in MesoAmerica built by the immigrants described in the BoM? Clearly not.

Doesn't the Lindsay website describe the temples found in Meso-America and make comparisons to the Temple of Soloman??? Did I miss something???

I didn't lump, I listed several things separately. For the BoM people to have built these temples, we would expect to find evidence of all of these things. We find evidence of none of them. The evidence shows that what is described in the BoM did not happen in MesoAmerica, which is where you said it happened. Therefore, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

You lumped. Listing several things separately in one post one after the other is lumping, my dear.

AND I DIDN'T SAY IT HAPPENED IN MESO-AMERICA!!! That is from the Lindsay website, which we were discussing. Do not transfer claims.

Take them in order. No smelting. No metals. No wheat. No cities. No chariots. No swords. No cities. No herding culture. No cattle. No horses. No elephants. No archeological evidence that matches what the BoM says. Which is why no professional archeologist, including Mormon archeologists, assert that there is archeological evidence to support the BoM. And yet you persist in believing it. Why?

You're lumping again.

Why don't we talk more about the supposed gardens, towers, and markets of the area. From the website:

Helaman 7:10 in the Book of Mormon speaks of the prophet and religious leader Nephi, a descendant of the original Nephi who crossed the ocean, praying out loud on a tower in his garden "which was by the highway which led to the chief market, which was in the city of Zarahemla." In 1830 and even in much of this century, the idea of ancient Americans having urban gardens, multiple markets (implied by the existence of a "a chief market"), highways, and personal towers seemed out of place. Recent discoveries now show that Helaman 7:10 is entirely plausible. Chapter 68 of Reexploring the Book of Mormon, (ed. John Welch, Deseret Book Comp., Salt Lake City, UT, 1992, pp. 236-237) explains:
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The "tower" might easily refer to pyramidal mounds, some built and used by families and lineage leaders for religious ceremonies, and which were referred to by the Spanish conquerors as "towers." Highways too are now well known in Mesoamerica during Book of Mormon times. But what evidence is there of gardens and chief markets in ancient Mesoamerican cities?
Gardens. For decades the prevailing view was that cities with high-density populations did not exist at all in Mesoamerica. In the last twenty years, however, intensive work at places like Teotihuacan and Monte Alban have demonstrated unquestionably that cities in the modern sense were indeed known during the Book of Mormon times.
Indeed, in at least some of those cities, garden areas were cultivated immediately adjacent to single habitation complexes. At the archaeological site of El Tajin near the coast of the Gulf of Mexico east of Mexico City are the remains of a city that occupied at least five square kilometers at its maximum period, probably between A.D. 600-900. At that time, the houses of its middle-class people were surrounded by gardens and fruit trees. Likewise, the famous city of Tula, north of the capital of Mexico, was even larger, up to fourteen square kilometers around A.D. 1000-1100, and gardened houselots were common there too.
Chief Markets. No one knowledgeable of pre-Columbian Mexico has had any doubt that markets were found in all sizeable settlements. Cortez and his fellows were amazed by the market in Tlatelolco in the Valley of Mexico, by its diversity of goods, and by the complexity of its organization. Yet until recently, only little attention has been given to the fact that a number of these cities had multiple markets.
The evidence, however, seems quite clear. Blanton and Kowalewski, for example, have noted that Monte Alban had both a chief market and subsidiary ones. For Teotihuacan, Rene Millon identifies one location as "the principal marketplace" and suggests that other markets existed for special products, such as kitchen wares. George Cowgill, the other leading expert on Teotihuacan, concurs. The Krotsers point out the same phenomenon at El Tajin. Meanwhile Edward Calnek's reexamination of documentary evidence on the organization of the Aztec capital, Tenochititlan, has established that each major sector of the city had its own market, in addition to the giant central one. Apparently Zarahemla was no different. These things once seemed problematic in the book of Helaman's casual description of Nephi's neighborhood. They turn out instead to have substance beyond what was known only a few years ago.
[/SIZE][/FONT]Regarding gardens, Michael D. Coe in The Maya (4th edition, London: Thames and Hudson, 1987, p. 156) states:
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Every Maya household had its own kitchen garden in which vegetables and fruit trees were raised, and fruit groves were scattered near settlements as well. Papaya, avocado, custard apple, sapodilla, and the breadnut tree were all cultivated. . . . [/SIZE][/FONT]​
The idea of Nephi having his own garden in an urban setting now makes a lot of sense.

Regarding the chief market concept, one scholarly publication notes that "the high development of the market as an institution and the rise of specialized merchants is distinctively Mesoamerican," and "markets were emphasized in native Mesoamerica as they are today" (Gordon R. Willey, Gordon F. Elkholm, and René F. Millon, "The Patterns of Farming Life and Civilization," in Handbook of Middle American Indians (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1964), 1:461-62, as cited in Pressing Forward with the Book of Mormon, edited by John W. Welch and Melvin J. Thorne, Provo, Utah: FARMS, 1999, p. 197). Another said, "Around the major market are a series of market places" which "specialize in a given produce or commodity and . . . carry a reduced selection of the goods available in the central market" (Manning Nash, "Indian Economies," in Handbook of Middle American Indians, 6:87, in Pressing Forward with the Book of Mormon, p. 198). Others observed that "the most important economic institution of the ancient Maya was the centralized market" (S.G. Morley and G.W. Brainerd, The Ancient Maya, 4th ed. (Stanford: Stanford Univ. Press, 1983), p. 249, as cited in Pressing Forward with the Book of Mormon, p. 198). The Native Americans that Joseph would have known of could not have provided him with knowledge of central markets that were once on this continent. Could Joseph Smith have guessed in 1829 that ancient inhabitants of this continent once had central markets and many other complex social and economic features of advanced civilizations? Could he have known of ancient Mesoamerican features like urban gardens, highways, towers, temples, fortified cities, record keeping, and so forth? Knowledge of Mesoamerican civilization in Joseph's day was minuscule (see, for example, "What Could Joseph Smith Have Known about Mesoamerica?"). If he had made up the Book of Mormon based on what he knew or guessed, there would be nothing left to defend after a couple of decades from publication. Instead, the Book of Mormon initially seemed hopelessly ridiculous, talking about ancient natives in advanced civilizations, so unlike those that were known in Joseph Smith's setting, but advances in knowledge increasingly lend plausibility to the Book of Mormon in an ancient Mesoamerican setting in ways that rule out Joseph Smith as the author.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
we believe in more truths than other chrisitians. and yes, the power to act in God's name was taken from the earth and it says so in Biblical prophesies.
Obviously found in I Assumptions, chapter 1...
every worthy man in our church holds the same priesthood authority that the prophets of the old testament, and the apostles of the New testament held. and the same Pristhood every worthy man holds in the church is the same priesthood the current presidents of the church hold. those blessings and privledges are extended to every worthy man in the church. we are not exclusive, we are only exclusive to worthiness and moral cleanliness and a willingness to serve others. Otherwise you are not worthy to act in God's name, how can you be if you do things that are contrary to christ's gospel?
My. That's a lot of "ifs." if you're male, If you're a member of our church, and if you're "worthy," then...

It seems to me that God has always chosen the immoral and unworthy dregs to be God's people -- to do God's works. You think that Abraham, who lied to his hosts about Sarah, and placed them in moral danger, was worthy? You think David, who had his friend killed in battle so that he could carry on with his wife was worthy? You think Joseph, who was a brown-nosing snot, was worthy? You think Jacob, who swindled, cheated, lied and stole, was worthy? You think the prostitute who anointed Jesus' feet was worthy? You think Zacchaeus was worthy? I could go on...
Sorry to burst your bubble, It's not "our particular take" on the gospel, It is The Gospel of Jesus chrsit, fully restored. and not restored because someone made up a book and had a good idea, but because God himself appeard with Christ and restored the true foundations of his Church, and also restored the priesthood authority to perform eternal marriages.
You can't burst a bubble that doesn't exist. Like it or not, this is your particular take on the Gospel. That's fine. I'm glad you have a take. I have a take on it, too, that works for me, just as yours works for you. I respect your take. I don't agree with it, but I respect it.
we can agree on this, the current Pope is causing a huge ruckus in the vatican with what he is sayign and doing.
The shoe kind of smells when it's on the other foot, doesn't it...

nutshell

It seems to me that God has always chosen the immoral and unworthy dregs to be God's people -- to do God's works. You think that Abraham, who lied to his hosts about Sarah, and placed them in moral danger, was worthy? You think David, who had his friend killed in battle so that he could carry on with his wife was worthy? You think Joseph, who was a brown-nosing snot, was worthy? You think Jacob, who swindled, cheated, lied and stole, was worthy? You think the prostitute who anointed Jesus' feet was worthy? You think Zacchaeus was worthy? I could go on...

Yes they were worthy. Worthy does NOT equal perfection.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Obviously found in I Assumptions, chapter 1...
Verse 12 of the gospel of madhatter:yes:

My. That's a lot of "ifs." if you're male, If you're a member of our church, and if you're "worthy," then...

where mcuh is given, much is required.

who are you to judge who is unworthy and unpenitent to do God's works? all those people turned thier lives aroudn except David, he screwed his life up by breaking 4 separate serious commandments and he lost his kingdom.

You can't burst a bubble that doesn't exist. Like it or not, this is your particular take on the Gospel. That's fine. I'm glad you have a take. I have a take on it, too, that works for me, just as yours works for you. I respect your take. I don't agree with it, but I respect it.

no you don't respect it, you tolerate it, and poorly at that, if you honselty and fully respected the LDS faith you would be LDS.

The shoe kind of smells when it's on the other foot, doesn't it...
only when it's your feet. :/

Bishka

Veteran Member
no you don't respect it, you tolerate it, and poorly at that, if you honselty and fully respected the LDS faith you would be LDS.

That is the most ridiculous assumption I've ever heard. Please logically spell out how respect for a religion means an automatic membership.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I committed myself to what??? We were discussing Lindsay's website and I've made no claims about BoM locations. To be honest, I am not a literalist and do not base my faith on whether the BoM includes events that actually happened or not. I view it as mythology - a collection of stories meant to teach a particular culture Truth.
I thought you were putting Lindsay's articles forward as evidence. If you don't think the mythical BoM people settled in Meso-America, then why am I bothering to refute that allegation? Obviously, they didn't, so if we just agree that the entire work is mythical, we don't have to waste our time. Of course, in that case it's kind of a short book, isn't it?
Yes, but how is that relevant, if the temples were not built by BoM people? I mean, the Mayans built pyramids, does that make them Egyptians?

Apparently you missed the overwhelming evidence that these temples were not built by BoM people. The fact that they may have used a similar plan is simply irrelevant, if they weren't in fact built by them. Which they clearly weren't. If they were, we would find archeological evidence of the people described there.

You lumped. Listing several things separately in one post one after the other is lumping, my dear.
Well I realize that a Mormon apologist might find the fact that there is no archeological evidence in favor of any of these things a bit daunting, but make an attempt. Pick one. For me, it is the cumulative fact that none of them are found that really disproves the book.

AND I DIDN'T SAY IT HAPPENED IN MESO-AMERICA!!! That is from the Lindsay website, which we were discussing. Do not transfer claims.
Well if you're not putting forth these claims, why am I wasting my time disproving them?
You're lumping again.
It's what the scientists call consilience. It's not just the lack of smelting. It's not just the absence of chariots. It's not only the lack of any DNA connection. It's not just that none of the agricultural products listed in the BoM are found in America, and none of the ones found here are mentioned; it's the combination of all of them that enables us to know definitively that none of this ever happened.

Why don't we talk more about the supposed gardens, towers, and markets of the area. From the website:

Helaman 7:10 in the Book of Mormon speaks of the prophet and religious leader Nephi, a descendant of the original Nephi who crossed the ocean, praying out loud on a tower in his garden "which was by the highway which led to the chief market, which was in the city of Zarahemla." In 1830 and even in much of this century, the idea of ancient Americans having urban gardens, multiple markets (implied by the existence of a "a chief market"), highways, and personal towers seemed out of place. Recent discoveries now show that Helaman 7:10 is entirely plausible. Chapter 68 of Reexploring the Book of Mormon, (ed. John Welch, Deseret Book Comp., Salt Lake City, UT, 1992, pp. 236-237) explains:
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The "tower" might easily refer to pyramidal mounds, some built and used by families and lineage leaders for religious ceremonies, and which were referred to by the Spanish conquerors as "towers." Highways too are now well known in Mesoamerica during Book of Mormon times. But what evidence is there of gardens and chief markets in ancient Mesoamerican cities? [/SIZE][/FONT]​
Why? If they want to refer to a pyramidal mound, why not say so? I don't think a pyramidal mound looks anything like a tower, any more than a wooden club looks like a steel sword.
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]
Gardens.
Chief Markets. It doesn't matter what they had, if they didn't have any evidence of having been the BoM people.
[/SIZE][/FONT]​
Regarding gardens, Michael D. Coe in The Maya (4th edition, London: Thames and Hudson, 1987, p. 156) states:
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Every Maya household had its own kitchen garden in which vegetables and fruit trees were raised, and fruit groves were scattered near settlements as well. Papaya, avocado, custard apple, sapodilla, and the breadnut tree were all cultivated. . . .[/SIZE][/FONT]​
Right. What they didn't have was grapes or figs. And interestingly, the BoM doesn't mention papayas, avocados, custard apples, sapodillas or beadnuts. That's part of how we know that it did not state any truth about actual American peoples.

The idea of Nephi having his own garden in an urban setting now makes a lot of sense.
Well if he did, it wasn't in Meso-America, so where do you think he had it? I thought it was all just a myth.

Regarding the chief market concept, ...[/quote] It doesn't matter how many markets they had; they clearly are not the people the BoM talks about, so it doesn't matter. Those people traded in gold and silver for wheat and barley, cattle and sheep. Those people didn't live in Central America.

nutshell

I thought you were putting Lindsay's articles forward as evidence. If you don't think the mythical BoM people settled in Meso-America, then why am I bothering to refute that allegation? Obviously, they didn't, so if we just agree that the entire work is mythical, we don't have to waste our time. Of course, in that case it's kind of a short book, isn't it?
Yes, but how is that relevant, if the temples were not built by BoM people? I mean, the Mayans built pyramids, does that make them Egyptians?

Apparently you missed the overwhelming evidence that these temples were not built by BoM people. The fact that they may have used a similar plan is simply irrelevant, if they weren't in fact built by them. Which they clearly weren't. If they were, we would find archeological evidence of the people described there.

Well I realize that a Mormon apologist might find the fact that there is no archeological evidence in favor of any of these things a bit daunting, but make an attempt. Pick one. For me, it is the cumulative fact that none of them are found that really disproves the book.

Well if you're not putting forth these claims, why am I wasting my time disproving them?
It's what the scientists call consilience. It's not just the lack of smelting. It's not just the absence of chariots. It's not only the lack of any DNA connection. It's not just that none of the agricultural products listed in the BoM are found in America, and none of the ones found here are mentioned; it's the combination of all of them that enables us to know definitively that none of this ever happened.

Why? If they want to refer to a pyramidal mound, why not say so? I don't think a pyramidal mound looks anything like a tower, any more than a wooden club looks like a steel sword.

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Gardens. [/FONT][/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Chief Markets. It doesn't matter what they had, if they didn't have any evidence of having been the BoM people.[/FONT][/SIZE]​
Right. What they didn't have was grapes or figs. And interestingly, the BoM doesn't mention papayas, avocados, custard apples, sapodillas or beadnuts. That's part of how we know that it did not state any truth about actual American peoples.

Well if he did, it wasn't in Meso-America, so where do you think he had it? I thought it was all just a myth.

Regarding the chief market concept, ...
It doesn't matter how many markets they had; they clearly are not the people the BoM talks about, so it doesn't matter. Those people traded in gold and silver for wheat and barley, cattle and sheep. Those people didn't live in Central America.[/quote]

Before we continue I think you need to get a couple things straight. First, my original response to you was because of your claim that there was zero physical evidence of the BoM. My response was the Jeff Lindsay website, a site that includes compelling arguments for the BoM based on real evidence and not some "warm fuzzy." These arguments are Lindsay's arguments and NOT my own. I only shared them with you to refute your extreme claim to begin with.

Do you wish to continue or not?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It doesn't matter how many markets they had; they clearly are not the people the BoM talks about, so it doesn't matter. Those people traded in gold and silver for wheat and barley, cattle and sheep. Those people didn't live in Central America.

Before we continue I think you need to get a couple things straight. First, my original response to you was because of your claim that there was zero physical evidence of the BoM. My response was the Jeff Lindsay website, a site that includes compelling arguments for the BoM based on real evidence and not some "warm fuzzy." These arguments are Lindsay's arguments and NOT my own. I only shared them with you to refute your extreme claim to begin with.

Do you wish to continue or not?[/quote] Of course not; Mr. Lindsay isn't here to defend his arguments, which do not present compelling evidence of anything. If you don't think there is; don't want to defend; can't present evidence in favor of the accuracy of the BoM, then I'm wasting my time.

I think your mythological interpretation is unusual and interesting, though, and quite unorthodox. If you don't think the BoM is true, well, what do you think it's about? What are the points it is meant to illustrate? Because to me it's a transparently racist assumption that actual American Indians couldn't possibly have built these cities; they must have been built by immigrants from the old world.

nutshell

Of course not; Mr. Lindsay isn't here to defend his arguments, which do not present compelling evidence of anything. If you don't think there is; don't want to defend; can't present evidence in favor of the accuracy of the BoM, then I'm wasting my time.

I thought you'd chicken out. :p (just kidding)

That Lindsay's evidence isn't compelling to you doesn't mean that it's not evidence.

But moving on...

I think your mythological interpretation is unusual and interesting, though, and quite unorthodox. If you don't think the BoM is true, well, what do you think it's about? What are the points it is meant to illustrate? Because to me it's a transparently racist assumption that actual American Indians couldn't possibly have built these cities; they must have been built by immigrants from the old world.

I do think the BoM is "true." Does that mean I think it is literal? Not necessarily. Does it mean I believe it is the Word of God and that it teaches us His Truth so that we can come unto Christ? Absolutely. So, I do believe the BoM is true, from a certain point of view.

I don't think the BoM claims that American Indians couldn't possibly have built these cities. In fact, the Church's official position on the matter is that those in the BoM were among the ancestors of the Native Nations. This would seem to imply that the Native Nations were doing much if not all of the building on their own. I also would like to point out (and I'm sure you already know) that some of the greatest ancient cities of South America pre-date the supposed arrival of Nephi and company. It seems people were building the big stuff long before anyone from the old world showed up.

kadzbiz

Wow. I just looked at this thread for the first time and I can't understand the relevance of the last posts to the OP.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Wow. I just looked at this thread for the first time and I can't understand the relevance of the last posts to the OP.
Relevance? Relevance long since ceased to be relevant. Now we're just working on setting a record for the number of views. :D

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
That Lindsay's evidence isn't compelling to you doesn't mean that it's not evidence.[/qoute] It's evidence, it's just not persuasive, and is more than rebutted by the evidence to the contrary.

I do think the BoM is "true." Does that mean I think it is literal? Not necessarily. Does it mean I believe it is the Word of God and that it teaches us His Truth so that we can come unto Christ? Absolutely. So, I do believe the BoM is true, from a certain point of view.
But you don't believe that 3 groups of immigrants came from the ANE to America, settled, fought wars, etc?
that none of that actually happened? Then you would agree that the evidence indicates that these things didn't happen?

So what do you think of the LDS establishment teaching that these things happened, and that archeological evidence supports the literal truth of the BoM?

I don't think the BoM claims that American Indians couldn't possibly have built these cities. In fact, the Church's official position on the matter is that those in the BoM were among the ancestors of the Native Nations. This would seem to imply that the Native Nations were doing much if not all of the building on their own. I also would like to point out (and I'm sure you already know) that some of the greatest ancient cities of South America pre-date the supposed arrival of Nephi and company. It seems people were building the big stuff long before anyone from the old world showed up.
Well someone else in this thread says it isn't the Church's position that the BoM people are the ancestors of today's Indians. That's because the DNA evidence makes it clear that they aren't. That is, there is no indication of a close relationship between ancient Semitic peoples and today's Indians. So, which is it, are the BoM people, the ones that you think the book isn't about, the ancestors of today's Indians? Or are the anthropologists right, and the Indians descended from Asian immigrants thousands of years earlier?

Scott C.

Just one guy
Here's how I see it. The Book of Mormon is a literal and true story of an actual people who lived somewhere in the Americas. The questions of where they lived and what percentage of Native Americans have some of the blood of the Book of Mormon people is unanswered. I have always understood, before DNA evidence, that the Americas were probably also populated by other peoples from other parts of the world. The DNA evidence does not contradict this concept.

nutshell

It's evidence, it's just not persuasive, and is more than rebutted by the evidence to the contrary.

Ah! But my initial response to you was because you said there was NO evidence. You didn't qualify it as no "persuasive" evidence. So, to take this a step further, the evidence is not persuasive to you, which does not mean it may not be persuasive to others.

But you don't believe that 3 groups of immigrants came from the ANE to America, settled, fought wars, etc?
that none of that actually happened? Then you would agree that the evidence indicates that these things didn't happen?

To the shock of the LDS on this forum: No, I don't believe in it literally. As with most mythology, I think there is a mixture of fact and fiction, so I wouldn't go so far as to say "none of that actually happened."

So what do you think of the LDS establishment teaching that these things happened, and that archeological evidence supports the literal truth of the BoM?

I think the focus of the LDS teachings is that Jesus is the Christ and that this is the message of the Book of Mormon. I've never heard archeological evidence discussed in any church meeting - only on message boards such as this. When I'm asked by my Bishop whether I believe the Book of Mormon to be the Word of God, I can answer "Yes" with a clear consciouness (did i spell that right?) even though I don't believe all the stories literally happened.

Well someone else in this thread says it isn't the Church's position that the BoM people are the ancestors of today's Indians. That's because the DNA evidence makes it clear that they aren't. That is, there is no indication of a close relationship between ancient Semitic peoples and today's Indians. So, which is it, are the BoM people, the ones that you think the book isn't about, the ancestors of today's Indians? Or are the anthropologists right, and the Indians descended from Asian immigrants thousands of years earlier?

The Church is currently clarifying? changing? it's position on this. It can be found in the introduction to the Book of Mormon. For many decades the introduction contained this line:

"After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians. "

This line has been changed and will read as follows:

"After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians."

For the LDS, this isn't an either/or question. The DNA evidence obviously supports the claim that the Native Nations are of Asian descent. However, just because evidence has not been found of any Semitic people as of yet does not mean it does not exist. As our knowledge grows, I think LDS academia is realizing that, if the BoM is literal truth, the people portrayed made up a much smaller group than originally thought. I'd also like to point out that the introduction is not considered scripture or canon by the LDS. It was not part of the gold plates and it was never put to pen by Joseph Smith. Rather, it was created by LDS academia, which was led, at the time, by Bruce McConkie (someone I, personally, have a lot of problems with because of the things he said (i.e. often giving personal opinion rather than sticking with Church doctrine even though he was a "high-ranking" leader)).

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Here's how I see it. The Book of Mormon is a literal and true story of an actual people who lived somewhere in the Americas. The questions of where they lived and what percentage of Native Americans have some of the blood of the Book of Mormon people is unanswered. I have always understood, before DNA evidence, that the Americas were probably also populated by other peoples from other parts of the world. The DNA evidence does not contradict this concept.

Literal in what way ? Every shred of evidence of suggests the complete opposite of what you believe. The BOM has zero substance in the world of historicity, Archaeology, and the sciences such as genetics. The DNA evidence totally and utterly contradicts the BOM story.

Believing in the BOM, means a suspension of beleif in factual evidence.

Melissa G

Scott C.

Just one guy
Literal in what way ? Every shred of evidence of suggests the complete opposite of what you believe. The BOM has zero substance in the world of historicity, Archaeology, and the sciences such as genetics. The DNA evidence totally and utterly contradicts the BOM story.

Believing in the BOM, means a suspension of beleif in factual evidence.

Melissa G

So I know how to approach my rebuttal, would you give the same response if I said the Garden of Eden was a literal place, Adam and Eve literally lived there, and Noah built a literal boat to save humanity from a literal flood?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
where mcuh is given, much is required.
But that's not what you're saying. What you're saying is, "of whom much is required, much is given.
who are you to judge who is unworthy and unpenitent to do God's works? all those people turned thier lives aroudn except David, he screwed his life up by breaking 4 separate serious commandments and he lost his kingdom.
Who are you to judge who is worthy and repentent? The fact is, none of us is judged worthy by our own merits. That completely defeats the purpose of grace. Fact is, all those people turned their lives around after God began working in them -- not before. It wasn't their turn-around that made them worthy, it was the fact that God used them in all their funworthiness that caused them to turn.
BZZZZZZT! I'm sorry, that's incorrect. But thanks for playing our game, and we have some lovely parting gifts for you, including an exciting home version of our game!

One can respect differing points of view without agreeing with them.
only when it's your feet. :/
Only if the shoe fits, should one wear it. I'm not the one pleading the case for exclusivity...