• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaisms Core

Ebionite

And ... you just fell off the wagon, friend.
No, it's right there between the chapters.

So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them.
And Elohim spake all these words, saying,
I [am] YHWH thy Elah, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exodus 19:25-20:2

Ebionite

Well, if it's lying about the Hebrew Torah, then why should it be trusted at all?
Because the epistles provide valuable information about the forces that shaped Christianity, when seen from the context of Zechariah 11-13.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
No, it's right there between the chapters.

So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them.
And Elohim spake all these words, saying,
I [am] YHWH thy Elah, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exodus 19:25-20:2

Cool. Let's check it out:

Ok, got it. Let's expand it by one more verse on either side. I'll remove the verse and chapter breaks as if we're reading it from a scroll.

... And YHVH said to him, Go, get you down, and you shall come up, you, and Aaron with you; but let not the priests and the people break through to come up to YHVH, lest he break forth upon them. So Moses went down to the people, and spoke to them. And Elohim spoke ( singular ) all these words, saying, Anochi YHVH, ( I am the one and only Eternal creator ) Elohecha ( your mighty divine power ), who have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery...

Moses, is not an Elohim, a mighty divine power. This notion that Moses is an Elohim is nothing more than wishful Christian thinking about working wonders like Jesus did thru power and glory of God, etc, etc....

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Because the epistles provide valuable information about the forces that shaped Christianity, when seen from the context of Zechariah 11-13.

If you mean forces like passionate evangelism and how scripture can be warped as a result, then I agree. However Zechariah 11-13, I doubt very highly they are related in the manner you suggest. If we can come to a mutual understanding regarding Exodus 19-20, maybe we can look at 3 chapters of Zechariah and discuss them together.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
And YHWH said unto Moses, See, I have made thee Elohim to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
Exodus 7:1

Right. To Pharaoh. Do you want to adopt Pharaoh's mindset? You know he's the villain in the story. There's other pagans in the story too. Are they positive role models, just because they are in print?

You'd need to find a directive from God to the Jews saying Moses is an Elohim.

GoodAttention

And YHWH said unto Moses, See, I have made thee Elohim to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
Exodus 7:1
And Hashem said unto Moshe, See, I have made thee as Elohim to Pharaoh: and Aharon thy brother shall be thy navi. Exodus 7:1 OJB.

The "as Elohim" and "to Pharaoh" would be significant.

Ebionite

If you mean forces like passionate evangelism and how scripture can be warped as a result, then I agree. However Zechariah 11-13, I doubt very highly they are related in the manner you suggest. If we can come to a mutual understanding regarding Exodus 19-20, maybe we can look at 3 chapters of Zechariah and discuss them together.
The idea of Moses "working wonders" connects to Christianity via the symbolism of the crucifixion, which is a serpent on a pole. Moses' serpent on a pole goes back to the rod transforming into a serpent when Moses and Aaron were in Pharoah's court.

Right. To Pharaoh. Do you want to adopt Pharaoh's mindset? You know he's the villain in the story. There's other pagans the story too. Are they positive role models, just because they are in print?
Not only to Pharaoh. Moses acted as judge of the children of Israel.

And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
Then his master shall bring him unto the Elohim; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:5-6

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have made thee as

"As".... that would be "כאלהים" like Gen 3:5. Famous verse.

כי ידע אלהים כי ביום אכלכם ממנו ונפקחו עיניכם והייתם כאלהים ידעי טוב ורע׃​
For God knows that in the day you eat of it, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.​

Here's the Hebrew from Exo 7:1. No Caf.

ויאמר יהוה אל־משה ראה נתתיך אלהים לפרעה ואהרן אחיך יהיה נביאך׃​
And the Lord said to Moses, See, I have made you a god to Pharaoh; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet​

See it?

Ebionite

And Hashem said unto Moshe, See, I have made thee as Elohim to Pharaoh: and Aharon thy brother shall be thy navi. Exodus 7:1 OJB.

The "as Elohim" and "to Pharaoh" would be significant.
The word "as" doesn't exist in the Hebrew.

Also there is no preposition that would translate as 'a' in 'a god'.

Here's the Hebrew from Exo 7:1. No Caf.

ויאמר יהוה אל־משה ראה נתתיך אלהים לפרעה ואהרן אחיך יהיה נביאך׃And the Lord said to Moses, See, I have made you a god to Pharaoh; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The idea of Moses "working wonders" connects to Christianity

I can stop right here. Didn't I say it was Christian wishful thinking?

Jesus is teaching the disciples to pray "thy will ( the Father's Will ) be done". This Christian wishful thinking is MY-WILL be done. It's not even kosher according to Jesus and he's super lenient.

Ebionite

This is not a Hebrew translation, but an Orthodox translation into English.
Christian orthodoxy isn't consistent with the meaning of the Hebrew text, where the word elohim is used without prepositions in both verses.

See, I have made thee [a] god to Pharaoh

ראה נתתיך אלהים לפרעה

And God spake all these words, saying (Exodus 20:1)

וידבר אלהים את כל הדברים האלה לאמר

GoodAttention

Christian orthodoxy isn't consistent with the meaning of the Hebrew text, where the word elohim is used without prepositions in both verses.

See, I have made thee [a] god to Pharaoh

ראה נתתיך אלהים לפרעה

And God spake all these words, saying (Exodus 20:1)

וידבר אלהים את כל הדברים האלה לאמר
Jewish Orthodox.

GoodAttention

One of the criticisms from the gospels was of making the law burdensome, which relates to the contemporary practice of building a fence around the Torah.
I think they were being extremely polite if they said burdensome.

I would have called the most of the Gospels the scriptures of the apostate pagan idolaters.