• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koran dated to before Muhamad birth.

Shad

Veteran Member
But it isn't making claims of complete originality: "Naught is said to thee but what already was said to the Messengers before thee. Surely thy Lord is a Lord of forgiveness and of painful retribution." 41:43

Had the claim been 'this is all new', you would have a point, but when the line is "you've already been told this, but the message got corrupted over time", the existence of textual similarities is to be expected from the POV of the believer.

To a believer, the similarities are not evidence of the text's human origin, if anything, they are confirmation of the truth of its message. So they don't demonstrate plagiarism to the believer.

The unbeliever doesn't believe in divine authorship so, regarding plagiarism, has to answer the questions a) where did Muhammed get his message from b) what did Muhammed say about where he got his message from.

For the unbeliever, the answer to b) is "I don't know, I only know what the tradition says. But then again, I don't trust the accuracy of the tradition."

The tradition likes to overstate the 'backwardness' of the Arabs and their ignorance of monotheism so as to abstract the man from the late-antique environment in which he lived. A man who knew nothing of late-antique theology, was suddenly reciting a discourse on this topic.

To demonstrate plagiarism to the unbeliever, you have to accept one aspect of the believer's POV regarding how Muhammed claimed he had gained his knowledge, but disregard another aspect of the believer's POV about the message actually being from God.

New or old is irrelevant. The claims of sources of knowledge, divine, is what matters. The Alexander Legends are not part of the messages from God. The Jewish sources are from the Talmud, and Josephus, which is commentary by humans. In Christianity it is not part of any message but again commentary and pseudo-gospels. These stories were assimilated not dictated to or based on any of the 3 religions.

If one finds tradition unreliable this does not mean it can not be used as a reference source. You are confusing the divine authorship claims and rejection of the claims as rejection of the material itself. This is never the case as even forgeries such as Paul's letters contain meaning for the religion, narratives, points of focus, etc. It is merely stating that the claims are used to gain authority and attention that Mo lacked. It is one of the primary reasons for writing a pseudepigrapha text. Using a person or God which people see as an authority gives weight to one with no such authority or acknowledgement of the masses. As such with Paul's letters. Paul is a figure of authority, his name carries weight within Christianity thus people will pay attntion if they think the author is Paul. This is likewise for many claims regarding God, which is the highest authority. If the audience believes in said God then a figure speaking as a conduit of God gains authority and credibility they do not have without God.

outhouse

Atheistically
You do understand that these things don't preclude him having knowledge of scripture prior to revelation?

WHAT REVELATION??????????? no such thing when someone plagiarizes others work.

The Quran is ambiguous on this topic. It says Muhammed is a prophet, an apostle of God and a messenger. It says he is divinely inspired.

NOTHING ambiguous about it.

That's is an admission of plagiarism

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It's the Dhul Qarnayan part of al-Kahf.
See chapter 8 for a discussion:
https://serdargunes.files.wordpress...-historical-context-gabriel-said-reynolds.pdf
Also:
https://www.academia.edu/10863446/_...Corpus_._Miscellanea_arabica_2013_2014_273-90
Traditional exegesis also links Dhul Qarnayan to Alexander, there is also evidence from hadith regarding the city of Merv being built by Dhul Qarnayan. Merv was, at times, also called Alexandria.
Narrated by Buraida 'I heard dear Prophet Muhammad :saw: saying that, "Soon many armies will depart after me. You must join the one going to Khurasan. Then you stay there in a city called Merv because it was built by Zulkarnain and he prayed for Barakah in it and threrefore, no harm will be done to those living there."
Alexander-Merv links:
https://books.google.com/books?id=kVAfURnQxNoC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=merv+alexander&source=bl&ots=ZDf2A-prNH&sig=Yw-f6-kXeLEhJA7ft43r-mIuGH4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ch9ZVLqSOcPguQSd6YDgAQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=merv alexander&f=false

It is wrong understanding of the Quranic chapter/verses. Zul Qunain relates to Cyrus the great.
Regards

Unification

No I am focused on words, the meaning in their native languages not the meaning in English. The similarities you see are mostly based on your reading the text in English. The reset is due to a creative imagination and only focusing on a few words. For example focus on 14 (constellation left/right) is to ignore the difference between the subject the number is talking about which is generations. Also you miss the fact that the genealogy is a construct to legitimize Jesus. However since you never studied the bible you didn't know there are 17 generations between David and Jesus. Ahaziah, Jehoash and Amaziah are not counted due to being wicked. There are also issues with combining two names as one person when these are in fact still separate people. There are a lot of problems with the genealogy. Nevermind that the sources of the genealogy were not part of the environment they wrote about nor that 14 had special meaning in the bible thus it was creating such a genealogy by omissions and combination for a theological point. You ignore that Manas Putras are the first sons of Brahma not Daksha. Ishmael has a different meaning then Ish-Mahal. When loanwords are assimilated the meaning remains intact with no root source. This is not the case in your articles as each name has its would root meaning. you focus on minor details and ignore the major details.

You can post whatever you wish to reason amongst yourself, I have never reasoned against any of that. The entire time has been "similarities." Nothing more, nothing less. Hebrew has Sanskrit etymology and influence all over it, please don't ignore the initial and only reasoning. Of course they have different meanings to the particular tradition, if you would like to reason about text "interpretation," and their "meanings," just say so. After initial influence, different traditions kept evolving, as well as words through their own created traditional paths and different "meanings." I don't disagree. The differences amongst religions are striking when viewed fundamentally, literally, and historically after their initial source of influence. Something outward religion has been great at, differences and divide. Don't add and apply it to "similarities." It's been your work, not mine. It's that selection bias referred to. I have not ignored the differences, because the only thing I was concerned with were similarities. No selection was even required. When you made it about selection yourself, the only ignoring became of similarities. Do you lack awareness to see or understand what you do?

Really, the symbolism all means the same things, just semantics and people wanting to disagree and make everything a tradition and about them. The texts are all connected. Our languages are all connected. Same concepts as evolution. Just make a phylogenetic "religion/tradition" tree, as well as a phylogenetic "etymology" tree.

Whatever is it you are trained in, perhaps it'd be beneficial to expand your conscious into Sanskrit and Vedic influence. Best part yet, you can keep all of the knowledge you already possess.

"since you've never studied the bible," thank you for the compliment, Studying myths and symbolic poetry as historical is not very wise. They aren't history books or texts as evidence has suggested.

WHAT REVELATION??????????? no such thing when someone plagiarizes others work.

NOTHING ambiguous about it.

That's is an admission of plagiarism

Ok never mind.

You aren't interested in historiography or discussing anything. Not interested in actually reading anyones posts. Not interested in source material, academic texts, context or reasoned argumentation. Just wikiislam, bombast, assumptions and preconceived opinions.

Never mind.

Zul Qunain relates to Cyrus the great.

Some people think this, but the idea is much more recent.

Early tafsir supports Alexander, as does hadith and also academic evidence. The problem is that Alexander was a polytheist and possibly a bisexual, and that's why the view went out of fashion.

Why do you think it was Cyrus?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Some people think this, but the idea is much more recent.
Early tafsir supports Alexander, as does hadith and also academic evidence. The problem is that Alexander was a polytheist and possibly a bisexual, and that's why the view went out of fashion.
Why do you think it was Cyrus?

The events mentioned in Quran match to the events of Cyrus the great.
Regards

outhouse

Atheistically
You aren't interested in historiography or discussing anything

I get tired of people refusing what is known without debate. People trying to rewrite history so it meets their needs instead of just describing what actually happened.

Context is the warrior and his students were not biblical literalists, but they believed in God’s revealing himself in history, and that he had revealed himself to the warrior.

THIS ISNT UP FOR DEBATE it is the exact context of how these people lived and believed. And no muslim thinks differently.

Sir I also require honesty in a debate, and I have warned you repeatedly to not make claims about what I have said, when I never said that. twisting my words is desperation.

This warrior compiled biblical traditions and rewrite them to meet their cultural needs, wishes and wants. And no credible historian debates this.

Even the warriors child wife he stole, states they claimed he was a prophet having god reveal this to him.

You don't have a leg to stand on, and I wont listen to your rhetoric. You have only supplied one or two academic piece from a blog site that have only addressed certain specific parts of the compilation and plagiarized traditions.

So your the one failing to debate as you have no traction here, because I know better.

New or old is irrelevant. The claims of sources of knowledge, divine, is what matters. The Alexander Legends are not part of the messages from God. The Jewish sources are from the Talmud, and Josephus, which is commentary by humans. In Christianity it is not part of any message but again commentary and pseudo-gospels. These stories were assimilated not dictated to or based on any of the 3 religions.

If one finds tradition unreliable this does not mean it can not be used as a reference source. You are confusing the divine authorship claims and rejection of the claims as rejection of the material itself. This is never the case as even forgeries such as Paul's letters contain meaning for the religion, narratives, points of focus, etc. It is merely stating that the claims are used to gain authority and attention that Mo lacked. It is one of the primary reasons for writing a pseudepigrapha text. Using a person or God which people see as an authority gives weight to one with no such authority or acknowledgement of the masses. As such with Paul's letters. Paul is a figure of authority, his name carries weight within Christianity thus people will pay attntion if they think the author is Paul. This is likewise for many claims regarding God, which is the highest authority. If the audience believes in said God then a figure speaking as a conduit of God gains authority and credibility they do not have without God.

Still not quite sure what perspective you are arguing from.

Do you believe someone looking at it from a secular historical perspective should view it as plagiarism? Or only from within the Islamic traditional paradigm?

The tradition can be used as a reference source, but the Sira turns into hagiography and what appears to be traditions and interpretations that have been added at a later point. As such, what Muhammed himself claimed is unknown. It is not definitively attested to in the Quran.

What the tradition has later added is often dubious, and how the material that became the Quran was utilised and viewed in reality is certainly contentious.

We both agree the tradition is often dubious.

We both acknowledge similarities and are aware of the extent of these similarities in recourse to specific examples.

We both agree the religion is a product of late antiquity.

We disagree in that you believe this must reflect plagiarism, whereas I think that we lack the understanding of what Muhammed himself claimed as to the source of his knowledge of the Biblical, para-Biblical and mythological material.

I don't see how recourse to tradition solves this question from an academic POV.

If we go to an Islamic POV, I also don't see how it can 'prove' plagiarism either. You can criticise the Islamic tradition, but the believer always has the God card to play to refute plagiarism.

Only the Islamic tradition minus God seems to support the idea, but this is neither the believer or unbeliever's POV, but a hybrid of the two. Both the believer and the unbeliever can legitimately reject 'proven' plagiarism from within their own paradigm.

outhouse

Atheistically
The entire time has been "similarities." Nothing more, nothing less

Yes. But yours are ridiculous and have nothing to do with anything.

Example, here is you. A cherry and a watermelon are both round, so they must be the same species!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

You might sell this at burning man at 3 in the morning around a dirty campfire, but it doesn't fly here.

outhouse

Atheistically
I don't see how recourse to tradition solves this question from an academic POV.

Academia already stated islam took previous biblical traditions for its own.

That in itself is admission to plagiarism.

You can criticise the Islamic tradition, but the believer always has the God card to play to refute plagiarism.

The refutation is non sequitur. Its faith based not academic.

If we go to an Islamic POV, I also don't see how it can 'prove' plagiarism either.

YOU cannot prove anything to people who refuse facts.

outhouse

Atheistically
Both the believer and the unbeliever can legitimately reject 'proven' plagiarism from within their own paradigm.

History does not care about faith and people who refuse facts it is non sequitur.

But yes people who refuse academia can create mental road blocks to anything and everything, and refuse what is known.

outhouse

Atheistically
Not interested in actually reading anyones posts

Your tired of being roped into such a small corner with no wiggle room at all.

Look at what these people have done to moses and noah mythology. If you cannot admit they took these biblical traditions, and rewrote them for their own needs, you have no business debating anything historical.

outhouse

Atheistically
Using a person or God which people see as an authority gives weight to one with no such authority or acknowledgement of the masses. As such with Paul's letters. Paul is a figure of authority, his name carries weight within Christianity thus people will pay attntion if they think the author is Paul.

You bring up a great point im not sure our friend is educated in. When I learned of rhetorical prose it was the largest increase in my knowledge I have seen. All kinds of lights went on that I had never known before after learning Aristotle's influence on Pauls rhetorical prose.

The warriors and scribes, and all biblical authors were ALL trained to wrote in rhetorical prose.

The sole purpose of writing was to persuade the intended audience. They wrote every words as persuasion methods.

They built authority and divinity and used previous mythological characters thought to be real, to parallel their greatness to these prophets apostles and warriors.

We see the NT authors doing this with moses as islam did, and no one bats an eye when you claim christianity plagiarized Judaism.

This was the factual CONTEX all abrahamic traditions were recorded in. If a man had good religious thoughts in his conscious mind, these primitive people claimed god spoke to him, because they didn't know any better, and its how everyone else thought in that time period.

Context is key here.

Even the warriors child wife he stole, states they claimed he was a prophet having god reveal this to him.

For someone who completely rejects the tradition, you sure seem to refer to it a whole lot.

You have only supplied one or two academic piece from a blog site

Academic journals are not blogs. You do know this, don't you?

You have referred to a single source, wikiislam, though. That's rigourous...

So your the one failing to debate as you have no traction here, because I know better.

Repeat point, ignore response, repeat point, ignore response is not debate.

People trying to rewrite history so it meets their needs instead of just describing what actually happened.

You really don't read anything I post do you?

The refutation is non sequitur. Its faith based not academic.

You still haven't looked up the meaning of non sequitur have you?

You also aren't big on reading comprehension or context are you?

I'm not arguing from a religious perspective, I'm trying to establish why it should be plagiarism from either a believer's or an unbeliever's POV.

Academia already stated islam took previous biblical traditions for its own.

That in itself is admission to plagiarism.

Proof you don't read or understand any of my posts.

I would refer you back to some 'apologetic blog site' about why similarity does not necessarily imply plagiarism, but you wouldn't read it or understand it any way.

I doubt you will, but if you could summarise what you think I have been arguing I'd find that really interesting. A few sentences would be fine. I'd love to know, because I've absolutely no idea as it doesn't seem to relate to anything I've actually said in the context I actually said it.

If you would be so kind...

outhouse

Atheistically
For someone who completely rejects the tradition, you sure seem to refer to it a whole lot.

Non sequitur sir.

You need to learn how to debate.

I do not reject what is historical known. Refusing Christian apologetic rhetorical traditions, does not mean I have to believe the earth is 6000 years old. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

outhouse

Atheistically
You have referred to a single source, wikiislam

Factually false. I have supplied two sources.

I have supplied and sourced wiki. And I have supplied biblical verses.

Where I copied the biblical verses is non sequitur. I have factually not posted any opinion from wikiislam.

I REQUIRE HONESTY IN MY THREADS

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm trying to establish why it should be plagiarism from either a believer's or an unbeliever's POV.

Well that is obvious.

A warrior collected biblical traditions and had them rewrite these traditions claiming they came straight from god though an angel.

It was always been a revealed religion, its FOUNDATION lies in this revelation.

outhouse

Atheistically
Academic journals are not blogs

Academic journals serve as forums for the introduction and presentation for scrutiny of new research,

Which means it is not credible academic findings YET.

by the way forums--- blogs, not a credible source.

Non sequitur sir.

please look up the meaning of non-sequitur, just for me ;)

I do not reject what is historical known. Refusing Christian apologetic rhetorical traditions, does not mean I have to believe the earth is 6000 years old. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You stated that "the only thing" you were interested in was historiography. Yet you show no interest in it, bizarre...

Where I copied the biblical verses is non sequitur.

Please look up the meaning of non-sequitur, just for me ;)

A warrior collected biblical traditions and had them rewrite these traditions claiming they came straight from god though an angel.

This is from the Sira (not the Quran), something you admit is not accurate. Why assume this is accurate rather than keeping an open mind?

I REQUIRE HONESTY IN MY THREADS

Can you explain what you think my position is, because nothing you say ever seems to relate to what I actually said.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to what it is (and I'm not being facetious)