• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Labeling children as a member of a particular religion is immoral

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If morality depends on God, then there is not - and cannot be - such a thing as malum in se.
That is one weird response. It is like saying since circles exists there is no way bowling balls can. God is the creator of nature. His nature was not created but it is the moral locus of the universe, infusing and transcending every molecule of creation with moral law. A better way to point this out is how Jefferson did in our founding documents. He was certainly no Christian but when searching for the foundation for moral rights and duties he said that only nature and NATURE'S God could possible ground them in reality.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It most certainly is an opinion that a hundred dollars is worth one hundred dollars. That is the entire basis by which currency exists. Commonly contrived but accepted value.

The difference is this.

1. If everyone on earth believed one hundred dollars was not worth one hundred dollars it would not be. It is purely a matter of preference and convenience.
One hundred dollars is always worth one hundred dollars. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be one hundred dollars.

Now... how much stuff a hundred dollars will buy you? That's a different question.

2. Even if everyone on earth believed murder was right and God existed we would all be wrong. If God exists morality (unlike currency) is true regardless of our opinion. That is what makes it objective.
If God existed, morality wouldn't be objective unless it was also independent of God's opinion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is one weird response. It is like saying since circles exists there is no way bowling balls can. God is the creator of nature. His nature was not created but it is the moral locus of the universe, infusing and transcending every molecule of creation with moral law.
"God's nature" is a sideshow in this discussion. Where did "God's nature" come from, exactly? Would God have been able to have chosen a different nature?

- if yes, then the morality you're describing is nothing more than God's whim... "malum prohibitum".
- if no, then the source of morality is something beyond God.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
The more I think about this, the more I find this attitude abhorrent.

There are no inherent boundaries for empathy, and each person's mind is their own. You have no special claim on the thoughts of a Jewish person just because you're Jewish yourself. If that person chooses to accept the advice of an atheist, then this is absolutely fine, even if it means giving up practices that you think are important. If this bothers you, too bad: in a free society, there's nothing you can do to stop it.

... besides making your best case to the person, of course. But at the end of the day, each person's choices are their own.
I have to agree here....I was very disappointed in the attitude which reflects a poor understanding of interfaith dialogue.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
Nobody belongs to just one culture. A Jewish Canadian, for instance, belongs just as much to Canadian culture as to Jewish culture... and in reality, both of those may be less meaningful for him than his political party membership or his sports team affiliation.

No one can state universally what will be meaningful to a huge mass of people, or what priority of meaning they will assign to it.

However, Judaism, like any society, presumes that certain things should be important to its members. It does not enforce these things-- no one will come and physically compel a Jew to prioritize certain things or value certain things-- nor, IMO, should it. But the foundational presumption of the importance of certain things is simply an organizational principle of a society. Virtually every society has such presumptions, and organizes itself accordingly. We act accordingly, and do not stop to re-evaluate the whole society if a few people believe X instead of Y, or Z instead of X, or pay inadequate attention to A and too much attention to B. Societies organize themselves on the large scale; this is especially true for extremely durable societies, which exist for many centuries or millennia, like the Jewish People. And it is also especially true of societies which have a strong communitarian ethos, where members are expected to value things external to themselves; and to understand themselves bound to laws and rules, and not only to their own whims; and are expected to be responsible for the health and preservation of the society as a whole, and are expected not to be completely self-serving.

You just described nationality as a mark of culture. Is a Canadian Jew not a Canadian, and therefore a member of my culture?

Properly speaking, a Canadian Jew is a Jew who is a citizen of Canada. Their primary cultural identity is being part of the Jewish People, since that does not change based on politics or location, and since that identity represents a culture of millennia; whereas the identity of "Canadian" is not even two centuries old, it is entirely a matter of politics and location, and who knows how long it will continue to exist? To say nothing of the fact that "Canadian" as cultural identity is something of a difficult case to make: Canadian according to who? What would constitute Canadian culture besides political citizenship of Canada?

A Canadian Jew is a citizen of your nation, politically equal to any other citizen of your nation; but culturally their Canadian identity must be secondary, if they are at all aware and educated about what it means to be a Jew.

Nationality can be a mark of culture. Nationality is not always equivalent to culture, nor, when it is a mark, is it necessarily the only mark. Nor is it always in the same form. Judaism, for example, is a socioreligious ethnicity: an identity that melds elements of cultural ethnicity, national identity, and religion. These elements are all present in various ways, none precisely equivalent to most other modern Western cultures, and are all intextricably intertwined: one cannot have a truly effective and participatory Jewish identity without them all.

Also, culture is gradated; it's not as distinct as you make it up to be.... To the extent that there are cultural lines at all (as opposed to just zones of grey), there's nothing wrong with having concerns that cross cultural lines, and there's still something wrong with interfering with someone else's life just because you happen to be on the same side of a cultural line.

There is some gradation of culture, sure. But part of what keeps any society intact is having boundaries.

So the thing that's happening here - an American Jew telling a Canadian atheist how he should behave - is completely unacceptable, then... right?

I am only disagreeing with your behavior insofar as that behavior reflects an apparent desire to impose your ideas and values on other cultures, my own presumably among them, to an extraordinary degree.

Are you suggesting that the core of your identity can be reduced to cultural imperialism? Because if not, my disagreement with your behavior should not be an undue infringement. If, on the other hand, your apparent desire for cultural imperialism is only talk, and you would not actually ever support the imposition of your ideas and values onto other cultures, save only for such minimal infringement as is necessary to avert proximate physical danger to minors or incapacitated individuals, then yes, you have grounds for telling me that my confronting your behavior is out of bounds.

It's probably less likely to result in the death of a child than teaching a gay child that homosexuality is a sin.

For the record, I do not agree that homosexuality is a sin, nor do I look fondly upon teaching that idea to any children, much less gay children. However, if we are going to legitimately operate a free society, then the best we can do is to foster aggressive positive identity education in public schools, in the media, and in any other places children and young people are likely to encounter it, in the hopes of countering the unfortunate interpretations of the radical fundamentalists among us.

And, whatever my feelings on teaching that homosexuality is a sin, it is both a cheap shot and a false analogy to try and suggest that it is responsible for more deaths than refusing to vaccinate. People can recover far more easily from bad teaching than from lack of vaccination, and bad teaching, however reprehensible the ideas being taught, very seldom, in fact, leads directly to death-- how often it leads indirectly to death is a matter of conjecture, though I would certainly agree it's far too often-- but lack of vaccination quite often leads directly to death and/or debilitating illness. If the anti-vax idiots keep up the way they've been going, and do a gung-ho job selling the gullible on their line, the death rates in the US, Canada, and Europe are going to start looking more and more like they did 150 years ago-- which is to say, a lot more like the Third World.

What is more, teaching your kid something appalling, like that being gay is a sin, is bad for them. However, they are unlikely to spontaneously begin infecting everyone around them with bad theology-- at least, not anyone who isn't already inculcated with bad theology.

Actually, I think it's a good illustration that your argument is based on a false premise: you argue as if the autonomy of parents shouldn't be interfered with at alll, when in reality, you concede that some restrictions on autonomy are necessary. This isn't about whether there should be a line; it's about where the line should be.
So some imposition on a culture's religious beliefs are okay. Gotcha.

I never said that living in a society made up of many cultures and religious/areligious ideas does not and should not involves certain amount of compromise on all parts.

Part of the price religious people pay for living as part of a larger, nominally secular, society is that they must compromise some of their more extreme ideals: they must let their kids be schooled, be basically medically cared for, and so forth, regardless of any religious teachings that may conflict with that.

The return price that society pays for being made up of many cultures and lifestyle philosophies-- and for being free, rather than a tyranny of particular cultures or ideas over other cultures or communities-- is that we offer freedom of religion and culture, and in pluralism and tolerance, we infringe upon the rights of families to raise their children as they see fit as minimally as is necessary.

We generally permit the parents broad authority to judge what is in the best interests of their child, and seldom impose the will of the government in its stead, even when the parents make unpopular choices, or decisions the majority of us might deem objectionable.

Part of the reality of "freedom" is that people need to be free to make choices-- even choices many or most of us might think are bad choices. That obviously can't be total and complete: even if those freedoms are respected 99% of the time, there will be a few times when people make such extreme, dangerous choices that government must intervene.

The more I think about this, the more I find this attitude abhorrent.

There are no inherent boundaries for empathy, and each person's mind is their own. You have no special claim on the thoughts of a Jewish person just because you're Jewish yourself. If that person chooses to accept the advice of an atheist, then this is absolutely fine, even if it means giving up practices that you think are important. If this bothers you, too bad: in a free society, there's nothing you can do to stop it.

... besides making your best case to the person, of course. But at the end of the day, each person's choices are their own.

I am not suggesting that there be enforcement or external compulsion of any kind of ideas on the Jewish People.

What I am suggesting is that while certainly any individual is free to seek advice wherever they please, the problems of the Jewish community are Jewish, and are to be solved by Jews using the mechanisms of change appropriate to our tradition. Importation of external ideas and transforming them into useful Jewish concepts and processes is certainly an appropriate mechanism of change; but we must be careful that this kind of careful importation and transformation is not neglected in favor of mere syncretism. The former is a way to enrich our culture and help it grow, whereas the latter is destructive to the culture.

But more importantly, the process must be internally driven: if part of our search for answers is to involve the importation of external ideas, it must be Jews who voluntarily and carefully select the ideas to be imported, and Jews who reshape and recontextualize them in order to fit into the spectrum of normative Jewish Thought. It cannot and should not be non-Jews externally imposing their ideas onto Jews, will they or nill they.

Obviously, if individual Jews decide they don't give a damn about Jewish tradition and society, and they just want to do whatever they please and call it Judaism, no one can or should stop them-- in fact, we have one or two individuals on this very forum who do just that. But that doesn't make what they do Judaism, nor does it make what they do healthy for the preservation of the Jewish People. Plus, of course, individual Jews are not and should not be forcibly compelled to retain their association with the Jewish People. There are, unfortunately, Jews all the time who decide that they have no more interest in being Jews, and instead decide to practice some other religion, or be atheists, or whatnot. No one is suggesting stopping them. But their choices are not Judaism, and cannot in any way be said to be contributory to or authentic to Judaism, and by their nature they exclude the chooser from participation in normative Jewish society.

Part of the price of membership in a society is the agreement to abide by the basic rules of the society, to argue and debate and make changes to the society in the ways that society has designated appropriate. One certainly should be free to refuse to abide by the rules of that society, or to argue for or seek change in ways not licit to that society: but in that case, their membership, or at least functional membership, in that society is forfeit. That's just the way societies work: I don't know of any that don't work that way.

Levite

Higher and Higher
This is an oversimplification designed to meet the needs of the religious leadership. Sure, it is nice to say secular people should not be involved in solving the problems of the religious...and the religious should not be involved in the secular problems, but in the real world, problems and people do not divide themselves so nicely and neatly. Some religious people share secular views. Religious leaders might try to force us into their areas of control, but it will not work.

No, that is an oversimplification of your usual paranoia about religious leadership, and your phobia of being in any meaningful conversation with tradition.

I have to agree here....I was very disappointed in the attitude which reflects a poor understanding of interfaith dialogue.

It is entirely typical of you that you conflate interfaith dialogue, radical assimilationism, and cultural imperialism.

Avi1001

Obviously, if individual Jews decide they don't give a damn about Jewish tradition and society, and they just want to do whatever they please and call it Judaism, no one can or should stop them-- in fact, we have one or two individuals on this very forum who do just that. But that doesn't make what they do Judaism, nor does it make what they do healthy for the preservation of the Jewish People. Plus, of course, individual Jews are not and should not be forcibly compelled to retain their association with the Jewish People. There are, unfortunately, Jews all the time who decide that they have no more interest in being Jews, and instead decide to practice some other religion, or be atheists, or whatnot. No one is suggesting stopping them. But their choices are not Judaism, and cannot in any way be said to be contributory to or authentic to Judaism, and by their nature they exclude the chooser from participation in normative Jewish society.

I'm not sure who you are referring to here....;)......but I can tell you that you have not been very welcoming back to the 'tribe' the Jew(s) in this forum that were rejected from the Judaism DIR.

By the way...what is your view of Jewish Humanism...?....do you consider R. Sherwin Wine's movement not to be Jews...?

And what of R. Mordeci Kaplan.....and the Reconstructionists.....not Jews...????

How about R. Zalman Schector-Shalomi and the Renewal Movement...not Jews...???

What about the reform movement (small "r")...not Jews....?????

There seems to be a lot of exclusion of my brothers going on here.

I would like to ask your support to set up a new Temple (DIR) here...for reform Judaism (small "r")....do you agree...???

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Properly speaking, a Canadian Jew is a Jew who is a citizen of Canada. Their primary cultural identity is being part of the Jewish People,
No, a Canadian Jew is both a Canadian and a Jew, and their "primary cultural identity" is a matter of their own personal choice.

since that does not change based on politics or location, and since that identity represents a culture of millennia; whereas the identity of "Canadian" is not even two centuries old, it is entirely a matter of politics and location, and who knows how long it will continue to exist? To say nothing of the fact that "Canadian" as cultural identity is something of a difficult case to make: Canadian according to who? What would constitute Canadian culture besides political citizenship of Canada?
Canadian culture is diverse... as is Jewish culture. Remember that you're talking to someone who thinks that culture is amorphous and that distinct cultures like what you're arguing for are largely fictional.

I also reject the idea that Judaism represents a culture of millenia. It has a cultural continuity, but what "Jewish culture" meant 4000, 2000, or even 100 years ago is not what "Jewish culture" means today. I also don't think it can be validly called a single culture at any of those points in time.

A Canadian Jew is a citizen of your nation, politically equal to any other citizen of your nation; but culturally their Canadian identity must be secondary, if they are at all aware and educated about what it means to be a Jew.
I think it's chauvinistic on your part to assume that any Jew who doesn't believe as you do is "unaware" or "uneducated". There's no room in your worldview for a Jew who understands Judaism but isn't interested in it?

I am only disagreeing with your behavior insofar as that behavior reflects an apparent desire to impose your ideas and values on other cultures, my own presumably among them, to an extraordinary degree.
Exactly how am I imposing my ideas and values on other cultures? Other than basic protection for people, especially children, I'm really only talking about dialogue. Is it basic protections or dialogue that you find threatening?

Are you suggesting that the core of your identity can be reduced to cultural imperialism? Because if not, my disagreement with your behavior should not be an undue infringement.
I'm not sure where you got that from. I wasn't accepting your argument; I was pointing out its hypocrisy. I think that you should be free to give me whatever advice you want (though I'm also free to disregard it), but I think it's hypocritical of you to do this while arguing that we're of different cultures and that people should only concern themselves with their own culture.

For the record, I do not agree that homosexuality is a sin, nor do I look fondly upon teaching that idea to any children, much less gay children.
If we're talking about culture generally, that's irrelevant. Are you asking for a special standard just for Jewish communities whose practices you approve of, or are you making a general argument?

However, if we are going to legitimately operate a free society, then the best we can do is to foster aggressive positive identity education in public schools, in the media, and in any other places children and young people are likely to encounter it, in the hopes of countering the unfortunate interpretations of the radical fundamentalists among us.
I was thinking particularly of the stance of the Catholic Church, which is taught to children in the taxpayer-funded Catholic schools we have here. How do you reconcile what you describe here - i.e. undermining "Catholic culture" and what they're being taught at home and in church - with your stance that we shouldn't concern ourselves with the problems of other cultures?

And, whatever my feelings on teaching that homosexuality is a sin, it is both a cheap shot and a false analogy to try and suggest that it is responsible for more deaths than refusing to vaccinate.

• LGBT youth face approximately 14 times the risk of suicide and substance abuse than heterosexual peersxii

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans People and Mental Health - Canadian Mental Health Association, Ontario Division

People can recover far more easily from bad teaching than from lack of vaccination, and bad teaching, however reprehensible the ideas being taught, very seldom, in fact, leads directly to death-- how often it leads indirectly to death is a matter of conjecture, though I would certainly agree it's far too often-- but lack of vaccination quite often leads directly to death and/or debilitating illness. If the anti-vax idiots keep up the way they've been going, and do a gung-ho job selling the gullible on their line, the death rates in the US, Canada, and Europe are going to start looking more and more like they did 150 years ago-- which is to say, a lot more like the Third World.
The anti-vax movement is an issue, definitely (which, BTW, is also an issue of religious culture - we've had several outbreaks of preventable illness in religious communities as a result of their stances on vaccination), but LGBT intolerance kills a surprising number of people, too... probably more than mumps and measles outbreaks, at least in this country.

What is more, teaching your kid something appalling, like that being gay is a sin, is bad for them. However, they are unlikely to spontaneously begin infecting everyone around them with bad theology-- at least, not anyone who isn't already inculcated with bad theology.
No, they're only likely to hate their life so much they want to end it, which is apparently okay.

I never said that living in a society made up of many cultures and religious/areligious ideas does not and should not involves certain amount of compromise on all parts.

Part of the price religious people pay for living as part of a larger, nominally secular, society is that they must compromise some of their more extreme ideals: they must let their kids be schooled, be basically medically cared for, and so forth, regardless of any religious teachings that may conflict with that.

The return price that society pays for being made up of many cultures and lifestyle philosophies-- and for being free, rather than a tyranny of particular cultures or ideas over other cultures or communities-- is that we offer freedom of religion and culture, and in pluralism and tolerance, we infringe upon the rights of families to raise their children as they see fit as minimally as is necessary.
And how does dialogue with religious people - saying "hey, consider this or that as a way of doing things better" - infringe on any rights?

We generally permit the parents broad authority to judge what is in the best interests of their child, and seldom impose the will of the government in its stead, even when the parents make unpopular choices, or decisions the majority of us might deem objectionable.

Part of the reality of "freedom" is that people need to be free to make choices-- even choices many or most of us might think are bad choices. That obviously can't be total and complete: even if those freedoms are respected 99% of the time, there will be a few times when people make such extreme, dangerous choices that government must intervene.
I find it amazingly hypocritical that you would say something like "part of the reality of 'freedom' is that people need to be free to make choices" when arguing for parents denying freedom to their children.

I am not suggesting that there be enforcement or external compulsion of any kind of ideas on the Jewish People.
In certain circumstances, I'm very much in favour of this.

For instance, I supported the decision to take the Lev Tahor children into protective custody and I don't think they should have been allowed to leave Canada. No religious belief or "culture" gives a parent the right to neglect their children, and in the case of Lev Tahor, neglect is what was happening.

Police learned of underage marriage, sex abuse allegations before Lev Tahor fled | Toronto Star

What I am suggesting is that while certainly any individual is free to seek advice wherever they please, the problems of the Jewish community are Jewish, and are to be solved by Jews using the mechanisms of change appropriate to our tradition. Importation of external ideas and transforming them into useful Jewish concepts and processes is certainly an appropriate mechanism of change; but we must be careful that this kind of careful importation and transformation is not neglected in favor of mere syncretism. The former is a way to enrich our culture and help it grow, whereas the latter is destructive to the culture.
IMO, if a culture doesn't protect and encourage individual well-being and self-determination, then maybe syncretism or even destruction wouldn't be such a bad thing.

But more importantly, the process must be internally driven: if part of our search for answers is to involve the importation of external ideas, it must be Jews who voluntarily and carefully select the ideas to be imported, and Jews who reshape and recontextualize them in order to fit into the spectrum of normative Jewish Thought. It cannot and should not be non-Jews externally imposing their ideas onto Jews, will they or nill they.

I'm not really concerned with what you call the practices of other people as long as you don't try to obstruct an individual's right to self-determination and to choose their religious beliefs and practices (or lack thereof) for themselves.

Part of the price of membership in a society is the agreement to abide by the basic rules of the society, to argue and debate and make changes to the society in the ways that society has designated appropriate. One certainly should be free to refuse to abide by the rules of that society, or to argue for or seek change in ways not licit to that society: but in that case, their membership, or at least functional membership, in that society is forfeit. That's just the way societies work: I don't know of any that don't work that way.
I find it unfortunate that you wouldn't consider your neighbour (or your kin?) part of your society just because they don't share your beliefs.

serp777

Wow, what tripe.

Parents make choices for their children as to how best to raise them. Those choices include culturalization, socialization, lifestyle choices of all sorts from health care to clothing to schooling. Raising a kid in the family religion is no different. In fact, quite often the religion is intertwined with the culture, which makes the idea of raising a kid in a religious vacuum, despite what their family traditions might be, all the more ridiculous.

Nothing prevents kids from growing up, deciding they disagree with their parents, and becoming another religion, or becoming atheists or agnostics. It happens all the time.

If you don't like religion, don't raise your kid with a religion. That simple. But just as you would be annoyed if religious people tried to foist their ideas on your kids, don't try to foist yours on the kids of religious people.
Man so many people have made similar strawmans. I'm tired of giving the same response over and over again for people who don't want to glance at some of my responses through the thread. I'll give a brief overview so that you can go through and respond to clones who have made the same arguments as you.

Your strawman--I never suggested raising a kid in a religious vacuum--I suggested that a kid be exposed and educated about a variety of faiths, philosophies, and atheism. It will be a learning experience for them to discover what beliefs they find most appealing and convincing. When you ram religion down a child's throat for years on end during a period children are very open to influences and beliefs can become more easily ingrained, children will tend to take their family's belief.

"Those choices include culturalization, socialization, lifestyle choices of all sorts from health care to clothing to schooling. Raising a kid in the family religion is no different. "
Another fallacy. Religion is very different from teaching other values. its more like telling a kid that they're heterosexual or that they're a republican. These are similar because religion is an intensely personal and complicated decision that is highly complicated. People should have the freedom to find their own personal identity without years and years of intense propaganda in the form of mind numbing rituals and participating at churches, Mosques, Synagogues, or whatever, unless the child decides that they wan't to explore those. Religion is also different because it isn't necessary as compared to health care or clothing or schooling or socialization. Someone without religion will do just as well or better as someone without religion--mainly because the person without isn't spending a plethora of time on rituals and church and can focus learning things that have practical value. Finally, religion is different because it is mostly determined by the family. influence is unavoidable, but parents should do their best to reduce their personal religious biases to give their child a chance to explore things for themselves.

"Nothing prevents kids from growing up, deciding they disagree with their parents, and becoming another religion, or becoming atheists or agnostics. It happens all the time."
Kids also very frequently take on the religion of their family, more often then they become atheists or switch religions. Most families tend to stay Islam or catholic for example, its very common because children. it destroys a chance for children to learn early because their parents are telling them what to believe. The fact that it happens all the time when a child gets older doesn't give credibility to your argument--it just means that many children finally realize the years of propaganda they were exposed to was like an anchor around their neck preventing them from finding the religion they are currently exploring. They could have found that religion that appeals to them more, and learned a lot more about it, if they had been exposed to a variety of faiths earlier with as little bias as possible.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Man so many people have made similar strawmans. I'm tired of giving the same response over and over again for people who don't want to glance at some of my responses through the thread. I'll give a brief overview so that you can go through and respond to clones who have made the same arguments as you.

Your strawman--I never suggested raising a kid in a religious vacuum--I suggested that a kid be exposed and educated about a variety of faiths, philosophies, and atheism. It will be a learning experience for them to discover what beliefs they find most appealing and convincing. When you ram religion down a child's throat for years on end during a period children are very open to influences and beliefs can become more easily ingrained, children will tend to take their family's belief.

"Those choices include culturalization, socialization, lifestyle choices of all sorts from health care to clothing to schooling. Raising a kid in the family religion is no different. "
Another fallacy. Religion is very different from teaching other values. its more like telling a kid that they're heterosexual or that they're a republican. These are similar because religion is an intensely personal and complicated decision that is highly complicated. People should have the freedom to find their own personal identity without years and years of intense propaganda in the form of mind numbing rituals and participating at churches, Mosques, Synagogues, or whatever, unless the child decides that they wan't to explore those. Religion is also different because it isn't necessary as compared to health care or clothing or schooling or socialization. Someone without religion will do just as well or better as someone without religion--mainly because the person without isn't spending a plethora of time on rituals and church and can focus learning things that have practical value. Finally, religion is different because it is mostly determined by the family. influence is unavoidable, but parents should do their best to reduce their personal religious biases to give their child a chance to explore things for themselves.

"Nothing prevents kids from growing up, deciding they disagree with their parents, and becoming another religion, or becoming atheists or agnostics. It happens all the time."
Kids also very frequently take on the religion of their family, more often then they become atheists or switch religions. Most families tend to stay Islam or catholic for example, its very common because children. it destroys a chance for children to learn early because their parents are telling them what to believe. The fact that it happens all the time when a child gets older doesn't give credibility to your argument--it just means that many children finally realize the years of propaganda they were exposed to was like an anchor around their neck preventing them from finding the religion they are currently exploring. They could have found that religion that appeals to them more, and learned a lot more about it, if they had been exposed to a variety of faiths earlier with as little bias as possible.

Translation: you don't like religion, therefore you don't want it to be passed on to kids by parents. Cultures don't work that way. Painting it as propagandizing and indoctrination is just anti-religion hysteria.

I'll be moving along now. Having read more of the thread, I honestly don't know why I bothered to respond at all.

Levite

Higher and Higher
No, a Canadian Jew is both a Canadian and a Jew, and their "primary cultural identity" is a matter of their own personal choice.

Canadian culture is diverse... as is Jewish culture. Remember that you're talking to someone who thinks that culture is amorphous and that distinct cultures like what you're arguing for are largely fictional.

I also reject the idea that Judaism represents a culture of millenia. It has a cultural continuity, but what "Jewish culture" meant 4000, 2000, or even 100 years ago is not what "Jewish culture" means today. I also don't think it can be validly called a single culture at any of those points in time.

I think it's chauvinistic on your part to assume that any Jew who doesn't believe as you do is "unaware" or "uneducated". There's no room in your worldview for a Jew who understands Judaism but isn't interested in it?

Exactly how am I imposing my ideas and values on other cultures? Other than basic protection for people, especially children, I'm really only talking about dialogue. Is it basic protections or dialogue that you find threatening?

I'm not sure where you got that from. I wasn't accepting your argument; I was pointing out its hypocrisy. I think that you should be free to give me whatever advice you want (though I'm also free to disregard it), but I think it's hypocritical of you to do this while arguing that we're of different cultures and that people should only concern themselves with their own culture.

If we're talking about culture generally, that's irrelevant. Are you asking for a special standard just for Jewish communities whose practices you approve of, or are you making a general argument?

I was thinking particularly of the stance of the Catholic Church, which is taught to children in the taxpayer-funded Catholic schools we have here. How do you reconcile what you describe here - i.e. undermining "Catholic culture" and what they're being taught at home and in church - with your stance that we shouldn't concern ourselves with the problems of other cultures?

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans People and Mental Health - Canadian Mental Health Association, Ontario Division

The anti-vax movement is an issue, definitely (which, BTW, is also an issue of religious culture - we've had several outbreaks of preventable illness in religious communities as a result of their stances on vaccination), but LGBT intolerance kills a surprising number of people, too... probably more than mumps and measles outbreaks, at least in this country.

No, they're only likely to hate their life so much they want to end it, which is apparently okay.

And how does dialogue with religious people - saying "hey, consider this or that as a way of doing things better" - infringe on any rights?

I find it amazingly hypocritical that you would say something like "part of the reality of 'freedom' is that people need to be free to make choices" when arguing for parents denying freedom to their children.

In certain circumstances, I'm very much in favour of this.

For instance, I supported the decision to take the Lev Tahor children into protective custody and I don't think they should have been allowed to leave Canada. No religious belief or "culture" gives a parent the right to neglect their children, and in the case of Lev Tahor, neglect is what was happening.

Police learned of underage marriage, sex abuse allegations before Lev Tahor fled | Toronto Star

IMO, if a culture doesn't protect and encourage individual well-being and self-determination, then maybe syncretism or even destruction wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I'm not really concerned with what you call the practices of other people as long as you don't try to obstruct an individual's right to self-determination and to choose their religious beliefs and practices (or lack thereof) for themselves.

I find it unfortunate that you wouldn't consider your neighbour (or your kin?) part of your society just because they don't share your beliefs.

We've been down this road before, and somehow I always forget that. But I'm not going to go another five rounds with you about religion, culture, and tolerance. It won't change your mindset, and it will likely annoy me.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I'm not sure who you are referring to here....;)......but I can tell you that you have not been very welcoming back to the 'tribe' the Jew(s) in this forum that were rejected from the Judaism DIR.

By the way...what is your view of Jewish Humanism...?....do you consider R. Sherwin Wine's movement not to be Jews...?

And what of R. Mordeci Kaplan.....and the Reconstructionists.....not Jews...????

How about R. Zalman Schector-Shalomi and the Renewal Movement...not Jews...???

What about the reform movement (small "r")...not Jews....?????

Anyone whose mother is halachically Jewish or has been properly converted according to halachah is a Jew. That is a different question from whether what a person does can be legitimately called normative Judaism.

I cannot generalize concerning Reconstructionists and Jewish Renewal, because there is nothing even remotely approaching consistency of approach, observance, theology, or education in those movements. I have met some Reconstructionists and Renewalniks who were extremely well-educated, were extremely observant, and functionally worked within something approaching a halachic paradigm. The details of their approach and their theology were...unorthodox, to be sure. But effectively, I found nothing fundamentally objectionable about their Judaism, and I would certainly say that what they did fell in the spectrum of normative Judaism. On the other hand, I have met Reconstructionists who were barely observant of anything, undereducated, and their approach and theology (or atheology) was questionable in precisely what it still shared with anything approaching normative Judaism. And I have met Renewalniks who were wholly syncretic to the point of effective apostasy, and who were rock-bottom ignorant of anything significant about Judaism. While these latter may certainly have been Jews, what they were doing was quasi-Judaism at best, Judaized other religions at worst. So it depends very much on the individual.

Humanistic Judaism is just rank assimilationism under the thin cover of cultural Judaism. They actively promote intermarriage, rejection of "ritual commandments" and traditional observance, and I have yet to meet a single Humanistic "rabbi" that knew any significant amount of Torah or Mishnah or Midrash, or any Gemara at all, or any halachah, or any Kabbalah or chassidut, or any medieval Jewish philosophy, or, for that matter, any significant amount of the Hebrew language. If I were satisfied that individuals professing Humanistic Judaism had had halachically Jewish mothers or had been properly converted, I would accept that they are Jews. That's about it.

Since, as far as I can tell, the lower-case-r reform movement consists entirely of you, it seems undereducated Jewishly, contemptuous of tradition and text, excessively prone to syncretism and rejection of observance and halachah, overly satisfied to embrace Jewish kitsch rather than Jewish Thought, and entirely devoid of spirituality. I presume your mother was Jewish, so you're a Jew. You seem to have had passing encounters with Torah in your life, which counts for something, at least. But that's about it.

I would like to ask your support to set up a new Temple (DIR) here...for reform Judaism (small "r")....do you agree...???

I won't support your DIR, but I also won't fight against its establishment. Personally, I think it belongs in the Abrahamic DIR rather than as a subforum of the Judaism DIR. But I won't quibble. Maybe you might just ask to take over the Humanistic Judaism DIR. No one else is using it, and it seems like it would be right up your alley.

Avi1001

Since, as far as I can tell, the lower-case-r reform movement consists entirely of you, it seems undereducated Jewishly, contemptuous of tradition and text, excessively prone to syncretism and rejection of observance and halachah, overly satisfied to embrace Jewish kitsch rather than Jewish Thought, and entirely devoid of spirituality. I presume your mother was Jewish, so you're a Jew. You seem to have had passing encounters with Torah in your life, which counts for something, at least. But that's about it.

I won't support your DIR, but I also won't fight against its establishment. Personally, I think it belongs in the Abrahamic DIR rather than as a subforum of the Judaism DIR. But I won't quibble. Maybe you might just ask to take over the Humanistic Judaism DIR. No one else is using it, and it seems like it would be right up your alley.

Thanks for your views on the other movements...although I think we disagree about most of what they represent...I do enjoy reading your views of them.

As far as the two paragraphs above, I wasn't really asking for your critique of me as a Jew, but I am not really surprised by anything you said...you've told me most of it before...so it doesn't bother me anymore.

I would like to remind you, and I have told you many times, that many reform Jews accept the ethical and moral laws of Torah and Talmud...and I think that puts us ahead of many CJs and OJs that I have met. Perhaps I will post some thoughts about this on my "Avi" thread. I think you undervalue this in the broader picture.

As for the reform DIR...I don't think it will happen under the current
structure, but I'll continue to advocate for it.....and hopefully we will get it in the future.

Last edited:

serp777

Translation: you don't like religion, therefore you don't want it to be passed on to kids by parents. Cultures don't work that way. Painting it as propagandizing and indoctrination is just anti-religion hysteria.

I'll be moving along now. Having read more of the thread, I honestly don't know why I bothered to respond at all.

Your translation is a foolish strawman. Its not anti religion because im advocating for teaching a variety of religions and philosophies equally and letting children decide for themselves. You clearly didn't read the thread at all or else your reading comprehension/vision is questionable. Fortunately you won't be responding because your input has so far been a misrepresentation of my position and there have already been enough strawman clones just like you.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I will give you a story to make my point. Hinduism includes a rigid caste system.

I practiced Hinduism for two years, and all that time rejected the caste system, and only heeded Sages who did likewise.

If your on the bottom you stay there without any opportunity to get out. Protégées missionaries practiced a heavy handed type of faith in India but despite this Hindus flocked to them wanting to convert. The reason was that only with Christianity is there a foundation for mankind's equality. Even though bad Christians may not practice it correctly all the time the basis remains true. We are only equal under God just as Jefferson (no Christian) had to conclude. Evolution has never created two equal things in history. You can't indict Christianity for it's occasional abuse and misuse.

Gross misunderstanding of how Varnashrama Dharma is supposed to work, and apparently completely unaware of the fact that Buddhism did the same thing about 600 years before Jesus was born, and similar desire to escape Varna's perversion also encouraged conversions to Jainism, Islam, and Sikhism.

As it stands, there's nothing "occasional" about it. Christianity didn't do anything to alter humanity's general behavior, even as it reshaped Kingdoms.

Olaf the Lawbreaker still committed atrocities. Christian monks still preserved as best they could the Old Ways. I have nothing against Christianity, but neither do I regard it as inherently special outside of the fact that it happened to be the Mediterranean religion that ended up shaping Western Civilization.

That is not logically true. A can be B, but A cannot be A'. Color is a result of light frequencies being reflected. Colors can only reflect light certain ways. We can call blue green but it is still reflecting only one frequency range of light. Interestingly no one can test or determine if what I call blue and you call blue appears to both of us as the same color. So using colors as a point is hazardous to begin with.

For a person who is colorblind, the sky is not blue. For people who have a fourth cone, the sky reportedly has a pinkish tint to it because they can see beyond the normal "visible" spectrum.

Colors are subjective. Not in their names, but in how they're perceived.

My claims are about what morality is and not as you suggest how we come to perceive morality. The nature of Jupiter was unaffected by the invention of the telescope. Same with morality.

We don't perceive morality; we conceive of it through empathy, as I already said. Jupiter has tangible existence; morality is an intangible conception.

Exactly what I said.

Yes it can. It is defined in a thousand scholarly texts the same way and is a very simplistic issue.

You've read a thousand scholarly texts, all from widely varying time periods and cultures? If so, I'd like to know which ones.

There's only one way I've found to express objectivity in Modern English: a bunch of interacting values. We as perceiving creatures are subjects, and thus all our perceptions and conceptions are inherently dependent on subject-object relationships; hence subjective. Objective exists independent of any subject.

They vary depending on opinion (so while they do exist temporarily in a objective sense) their essential nature is not objective.

It is the same with morality, though again, I wouldn't use the word "opinion" because its connotations aren't accurate to the topic.

Two points.

1. Name anything you do consider immoral and it will likely be just real as anything you think moral. We have been moral and immoral as long as we have lived so the time spans do not matter.
2. However if Jesus exists you are wrong and will be eternally morally responsible for your actions.

I could easily argue that our immoral actions are more primal than the better angels of our nature (as Lincoln suggested).

Well, I would argue that Lincoln's suggestion is based entirely on his cultural conceptions of morality.

If Jesus is real in the sense that you imply, so be it; I've already accepted whatever fate the Gods have in store for me. If this particular God has a problem with what I've chosen, then another way of wording that would be: that's his problem. We all please and anger some Gods or others.

Is that a lord of the rings thing?

No. I'm a polytheist; Frigga is a Goddess.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I practiced Hinduism for two years, and all that time rejected the caste system, and only heeded Sages who did likewise...

I had a great many Indian students over my 36 years in teaching, and many of them were Hindu. Why I mention this is that every now and then one of them would come up to me and be terribly upset about some other students misportrayed what Hindus supposedly believe, and the issue of caste is just one of them.

Also, I think it's important to mention, which I'm certain you're aware of, that there's a tremendous amount of theological variation between Hindus to the point whereas it becomes next to impossible to categorically state what Hindus supposedly believe. The "many paths to God" is taken seriously by undoubtedly most Hindus, therefore most tend to be quite nonjudgmental when it comes to dealing with religious people and concepts that are different from what they may believe.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
One hundred dollars is always worth one hundred dollars. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be one hundred dollars.
I thought you were saying something else. Yes objective material objects exist but have subjective value. I don't get the point.

Now... how much stuff a hundred dollars will buy you? That's a different question.
That is the relevant issue. It's value is subjective.

If God existed, morality wouldn't be objective unless it was also independent of God's opinion.
That is not the case. God did not invent morality nor did he chose it from some external standard. He is morality. His eternal nature makes some actions wrong and some right. He is the objective locus of all moral truth. His commands merely communicate what is objectively right or wrong.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
"God's nature" is a sideshow in this discussion.
No it isn't. It is the primary foundation for all objective moral truth.

Where did "God's nature" come from, exactly?
Things that are eternal and have no beginning do not come from anywhere. They are brute facts.

Would God have been able to have chosen a different nature?
No.

- if yes, then the morality you're describing is nothing more than God's whim... "malum prohibitum".
- if no, then the source of morality is something beyond God.
Since he couldn't have I won't discuss that one. His unchanging nature means that at no time, in no place, and in no way has the morals that are grounded on his nature been untrue. He is the ultimate objective standard by which all other truths have their being. He transcends everything.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That is not the case. God did not invent morality nor did he chose it from some external standard. He is morality. His eternal nature makes some actions wrong and some right. He is the objective locus of all moral truth. His commands merely communicate what is objectively right or wrong.

Hi 1robin,

Can you give a concrete example of one of god's moral truths, and how you came to know it?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No it isn't. It is the primary foundation for all objective moral truth.
At best, it's an intermediate link in the chain. What's the source of God's nature?

Things that are eternal and have no beginning do not come from anywhere. They are brute facts.
So the makeup of "God's nature" has no foundation? If there's no particular reason why it is the way it is, then it's arbitrary and can't reasonably be called a basis for objective morality.

No.

Since he couldn't have I won't discuss that one. His unchanging nature means that at no time, in no place, and in no way has the morals that are grounded on his nature been untrue. He is the ultimate objective standard by which all other truths have their being. He transcends everything.
God transcends God? How is that even possible?