• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies on the forum, do you consider yourself to be a feminist?

Alceste

Vagabond
It's certainly within the realm of possibility. I just find it peculiar. If she didn't even know what a percentile was she couldn've been old enough to have a real appreciation for the fact that she was taking a test which would influence her self-image. Who remembers ordinary days from their childhood that vividly?

Here's more stuff I remember - the guidance counselor told me they don't ordinarily discuss the results of these tests with the students. I took Scholastic Aptitude Tests about every 2 years - that I remember because I really enjoyed them - but nobody ever got any "marks" for them. I liked that part in particular, because I hated comparing grades with other students. It made everybody uncomfortable. The guidance counselor had a record of all my scores, going back to grade 3. She said my score was in the 99th percentile on all of them except the one in grade 5, about the time my dad went off his meds and was sent off to the nuthouse, and at the same time I was first targeted for bullying by all the other students. She said I must have been having a tough time that year.

She said the reason she wanted to discuss it with me was to help me make a plan for university, since she thought I could get accepted anywhere, for anything. We looked at various scholarships, and she told me I should have been in an IB program, because it would help the process along. I was skeptical, since I perceived IB as more work for worse grades. At that time I was thoroughly jaded and skipping 60 % of my classes because I simply couldn't stand the boredom. The classes I went to I slept through, or wrote notes to my friends, or doodled. I know the exact figure because they had started tracking absences and sending a little report to parents that year, as well as implementing a robo-caller that would inform parents every time you missed a class. It said "This call is to inform you that your son or daughter was late or absent for one or more classes today." I heard that on the answering machine every day until my mom demanded they take our number off the system, so I've got no trouble recollecting it.

Anyway, I suppose it was a combination of all these factors that made the guidance counselor make an exception to the general rule of not revealing the scores on those tests to students.

I remember quite a lot from grade 5 to grade 12 because it was difficult. The excruciating boredom, my family situation at home, my social situation at school, and my gradual realization that I am trapped in a sick society; one that expected me to arbitrarily pick an extremely specialized life-long occupation at 16 and go into huge amounts of debt to achieve it. A paranoid society that expected me to be ruled by fear - fear of failure, fear of loneliness, fear of alienation, fear of death, fear of judgment, fear of poverty. An insane society that actually believed in the possibility of perpetual exponential growth in a world with finite resources and expected me to believe in it too. A catastrophic society that measures your value by the how much of the earth's resources you are able to consume in your short and pointless life. A delusional society where people abdicate their personal responsibility for their own evil deeds in the name of their gods and call it good.

Anyway, I remember much from that time because it was a pretty big deal.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Here's an article to ponder, about what men might be...
Where Have All the Good Men Gone? Ask the Women, Too. | Acculturated

Feminists don't want to destroy men for the purpose of female empowerment. What feminists like myself generally want are to keep men empowered while we become equally empowered too. We want strong men to stand by us, and we want to be strong to stand by them.

The "lack of good men" myth, IMO, is propagated by people who want to re-establish mandated submissiveness in women in the general population, and falsely believe that strong and empowered women destroy "real men". The truth is that equally strong and empowered women in a society destroys the patriarchal paradigm, however even those on this forum have falsely assumed that patriarchy = men (which it doesn't). There are plenty of good men in everyday society who want an egalitarian relationship, not a male-dom/female-sub relationship.

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge consensual male-dom/female-sub relationships at all. The problem is when preaching and rhetoric exists in society that that is the only or valid type of relationship, and based on faulty biological assumptions and religious indoctrination.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Here's an article to ponder, about what men might be...
Where Have All the Good Men Gone? Ask the Women, Too. | Acculturated

Ha! What do you know! Objects "behave"

Phrases like that make it obvious how silly the word objectification is.

Edit: and about the rest of the article, I remember a saying that went "why would yu buy e cow if you get the milk for free?" I've always replied "if you get the milk for free and still buy the cow then you love the cow!" :D . (And gota few m ore than a few angry responses for different reasons :D )

I dont think qe can know if there are less "good men" than before, but as far as I can tell women have always comlained about men and men about women and old people about the new youth.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I remember when I was 12 I used to play soccer at recess. I can still picture the field we played on. I remember 2 or 3 kids who regularly played. I can't get more specific than that. I certainly don't remember any specific test days from elementary or middle school.

I can remember a few.

Wherenextcolumbus

I hardly think that's a necessary factor to be a feminist. That just means you're an active feminist.

Feminism may be a movement, but it's very loose and decentralized. Therefore, it's possible to be associated with what the movement believes, and thus be called a feminist, even if not active.

Well I disagree

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It took me several internet IQ tests to get a satisfactory number for myself, but I won't say what it is unless peacemaker goes first. :p

Internet tests? Please...an idiot could score 130+ on one of those. The mensa test is the one that matters

Mine is from an actual psychological evaluation. ^_^

My most reliable measure comes from standardized testing all students went through at school at the year intervals up to grade 12. That is a percentile rating, though, not an IQ score. I remember being wondering which question I messed up that I only got 99 until she explained what a percentile is. :D

that'd put you at around 135. not too shabby

Or higher. Those tests don't go above the 99th percentile. I also finished the test in half the allotted time and was the first to leave the gymnasium. By about twenty minutes. I thought I must have missed a page.

With all due respect, if you had to ask the teacher what a "percentile" was you couldn've been more than 12 years old. Based on how you conduct yourself you can't be younger than late 20's. Do you really remember that vividly the day you took a standardized test some 20 or so years ago?
I once took an IQ test and scored a bajillion.

The score seemed low to me, so I reviewed the test and pointed out some errors and got my score corrected to a trijillion.

So basically I'm like the smartest person on the internets in other words.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hot? Ma'am, you need to have your sensor checked up. Immediately.
Dude, if a guy beats me at scrabble (which isn't easy) while limiting himself to using a seduction theme in his words, then that's like the hottest way to flirt ever.

It kind of was and it kind of wasn't. He was a scoundrel, a drunk, a lawyer, and engaged, but I always appreciate cleverness. :D

Nevertheless, I fended him off.
Well that's unfortunate.

Godlike scrabble skills mixed with sexiness are awesome but don't make up for poor character.

Alceste

Vagabond
I once took an IQ test and scored a bajillion.

The score seemed low to me, so I reviewed the test and pointed out some errors and got my score corrected to a trijillion.

So basically I'm like the smartest person on the internets in other words.

No because later I paid a gypsy five dollars to test me with a bottle of rosewater and a beat-up deck of cards and I got a trijillion and three. :p

Alceste

Vagabond
Dude, if a guy beats me at scrabble (which isn't easy) while limiting himself to using a seduction theme in his words, then that's like the hottest way to flirt ever.

Well that's unfortunate.

Godlike scrabble skills mixed with sexiness are awesome but don't make up for poor character.

They almost did when combined with copious amounts of alcohol and an incredible night on the town. Later he somehow badgered me into singing my extremely offensive gospel parody Bend Me Over, Jesus at the top of my lungs in a crowded Irish pub. I think my judgment was a little impaired.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I'm a long way from being a dummy. I've had alot of success at academic pursuits and have a genuine love of learning. Admittingly, when it comes to love I don't take the intellectual route. When I see a girl I dig I usually just take my shirt off and let nature run its course.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Exactly why i said "you need to have your sensor checked up. Immediately." :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm a long way from being a dummy. I've had alot of success at academic pursuits and have a genuine love of learning. Admittingly, when it love I don't take the intellectual route. When I see a girl I dig I usually just take my shirt off and let nature run its course.

Nature running its course, IMO, would be she takes your shirt and uses it to tie your wrists together.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That doesn't do anything to make me think that your view of men or women is rooted in reason.

BTW: I hold doors open for both men and women, and I've never once been yelled at for it.

Same here. I hold doors open for people out of common courtesy. I especially go out of my way when I see someone approaching with a walker or someone who is chairbound. I've never been yelled at, nor have I ever felt demeaned if anyone did that for me.

But I also don't think any man who doesn't open a door for me has failed some masculinity test.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm a long way from being a dummy. I've had alot of success at academic pursuits and have a genuine love of learning. Admittingly, when it love I don't take the intellectual route. When I see a girl I dig I usually just take my shirt off and let nature run its course.

Me too.