• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Blame my spell checker

The irony here is astounding. "I didn't make the mistake, my spellcheck did" sounds eerily similar to "I didn't say homosexuality is bad, my God did". They're both examples of the same symptom, inability to think independently.

It's a common analogy depicting someone who looses a dignified stance when they loose a contest of one sort or another. I will admit to some degree of guilt myself but hey, how boring would life be without a little passion for the issues. About being biased, just what did you expect? Bias is the driving force behind the contention on both sides of the issue, certainly there is bias but as I said earlier, I believe that someday the shoe will be on the other foot and the spoiled tantrums will continue, only from a different crowd.

It's a common analogy that paints homosexuals falsely to make an appeal to emotion.

Bias is not the driving force behind both sides. Our side only wants the same rights for everyone. That has nothing to do with bias. Frankly, we don't care what you believe, just that you don't force it onto others. In another thread just yesterday a Mormon came to the decision that he no longer opposes the legalization of gay marriage, even though he continues to oppose it morally. That is all we ask for. This side might even have biases against Mormons or others, but it has nothing to do with their desire for equal rights.

I think it's telling that you consider people fighting for their civil rights "children throwing spoiled tantrums". Do you consider black people like Martin Luther King Jr. and others during the 60s in that same light? Or are they different because their cause was obviously just (Now that you look at it in hindsight)?

UnTheist

Yes, "I want the same rights for everyone" is a bias.

God aka Wikipedia said:
Bias is a term used to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective, ideology or result, especially when the tendency interferes with the ability to be impartial, unprejudiced, or objective.
Is the idea that "I want the same rights for everyone" a preference towards a particular perspective and result? Why, yes it is!

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You do realize that it said "...especially when..." and not "...only when...", don't you?

Yes, and if you go back and read my post, I was counting on the "especially" part, as was the quote from the person I was responding to. Context.

Evandr

Stripling Warrior
The irony here is astounding. "I didn't make the mistake, my spellcheck did" sounds eerily similar to "I didn't say homosexuality is bad, my God did". They're both examples of the same symptom, inability to think independently.
What?:shrug: I'd be ashamed if I had nothing better to say than to craft useless analogy out of someone elses misspelled word because the spell checker saw it as a different word.
It's a common analogy that paints homosexuals falsely to make an appeal to emotion.
Have you heard nothing I have said or is it so hard to hear that you simply refuse to, or are unable to, find relative responses that don't stand on indignation.
Bias is not the driving force behind both sides. Our side only wants the same rights for everyone. That has nothing to do with bias. Frankly, we don't care what you believe, just that you don't force it onto others. In another thread just yesterday a Mormon came to the decision that he no longer opposes the legalization of gay marriage, even though he continues to oppose it morally. That is all we ask for. This side might even have biases against Mormons or others, but it has nothing to do with their desire for equal rights.

I think it's telling that you consider people fighting for their civil rights "children throwing spoiled tantrums". Do you consider black people like Martin Luther King Jr. and others during the 60s in that same light? Or are they different because their cause was obviously just (Now that you look at it in hindsight)?

I just took a deep breath, smiled, and shook my head as I contemplated how adept you are at crafting comments with parts that either don’t fit the focus, conveniently ignore anything you don't want to acknowledge, and/or seek to confuse the issue. I'm really disappointed that you have so little to say and yet expend so much effort saying it. I think I'll go find someone else to talk to.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
What?:shrug: I'd be ashamed if I had nothing better to say than to craft useless analogy out of someone elses misspelled word because the spell checker saw it as a different word.Have you heard nothing I have said or is it so hard to hear that you simply refuse to, or are unable to, find relative responses that don't stand on indignation.

I just took a deep breath, smiled, and shook my head as I contemplated how adept you are at crafting comments with parts that either don’t fit the focus, conveniently ignore anything you don't want to acknowledge, and/or seek to confuse the issue. I'm really disappointed that you have so little to say and yet expend so much effort saying it. I think I'll go find someone else to talk to.

Interesting, you've been throwing out the same hate filled comments for 5 pages. The huge issue for us on the side of supporting Homosexual marriage is how on one hand you can preach love, yet on the other you can deny your brothers rights we should all enjoy. Its something none of you have been able to explain without using the bible.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What?:shrug: I'd be ashamed if I had nothing better to say than to craft useless analogy out of someone elses misspelled word because the spell checker saw it as a different word.

Actually, you should be ashamed for the things you have been saying. The analogy is far from useless. You count on your spellchecker to think for you, just as you count on your religion/God/Holy books to think for you. It's a very interesting analogy, really.

Have you heard nothing I have said or is it so hard to hear that you simply refuse to, or are unable to, find relative responses that don't stand on indignation

I've heard most of what you've said. I admit that I haven't read all of it, but I've read enough to know that it's the same old tired justifications for hatred.

Good. Now, take a deep breath, smile and shake your head hard enough for your false notions about homosexuals to fall out.

I can understand you wanting to talk to someone else, though. I imagine it's tough to have people point out your deficiencies and lies, and you without any real way to counter them.

There's no confusing of the issue. You have a bias against homosexuality that influences you to want to limit their freedoms. You justify it with all kinds of false logic and false ideas, and in doing so use several appeals to emotion. That's it in a nutshell.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What?:shrug: I'd be ashamed if I had nothing better to say than to craft useless analogy out of someone elses misspelled word because the spell checker saw it as a different word.Have you heard nothing I have said or is it so hard to hear that you simply refuse to, or are unable to, find relative responses that don't stand on indignation.
Well if I were you I'd be apologizing and retracting my incorrect assertion. But then, I value my credibility.

Passage Leviticus 18:22:

22Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

There are more but this will do. Same sex marriage is a no no.Any idea what 'abomination' means?

1. anything abominable; anything greatly disliked or abhorred.
2. intense aversion or loathing; detestation:
3. a vile, shameful, or detestable action, condition, habit, etc.

John 8:32
thecomforter.info

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Passage Leviticus 18:22:

22Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

There are more but this will do. Same sex marriage is a no no.Any idea what 'abomination' means?

1. anything abominable; anything greatly disliked or abhorred.
2. intense aversion or loathing; detestation:
3. a vile, shameful, or detestable action, condition, habit, etc.

John 8:32
thecomforter.info

Yes, we get it, your bible is against gays giving people a reason to throw compassion for their fellow man out the window.