• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
They already did that, sooooo.
People, people the hose crossed the line already, it's a done deal, it’s game over ladies, gentlemen and those in between.
No, doesn't work that way, emiliano. Civil rights issues are a long struggle, not decided in a single battle. This one's a long way from over.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Fair enough, so what do we do? There is only one answer - use the political system to shape national and community policy and do it with a bit of dignity. We may find it difficult to respect each other in the heat of debate but we should try to respect the system that shapes our public policy. All that has been said in this thread really hasn't changed anything, the political system will go on as usual and when there is enough support for gay rights that the opposition can't overwhelm it then it will gain the recognition it desires. Until then we will simply have to accept that we are on opposite sides of the fence on this issue and leave it at that.
Or keep on fighting for what we think is right.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Blame my spell checker

It's a common analogy depicting someone who looses a dignified stance when they loose a contest of one sort or another. I will admit to some degree of guilt myself but hey, how boring would life be without a little passion for the issues. About being biased, just what did you expect? Bias is the driving force behind the contention on both sides of the issue, certainly there is bias but as I said earlier, I believe that someday the shoe will be on the other foot and the spoiled tantrums will continue, only from a different crowd.
The only people in this thread who have displayed a lack of dignity have not been the proponents of gay marriage.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Your opinion, mine is that it is mental illness, but as you know the majority decided that it is not and I have to accept it, I think that a person that sees himself/herself/itself having a preference contrary to what nature says, it is mentally ill, but that is just my opinion, besides I had enough troubles teaching the bird and the bees thing to my daughters to have to deal with explaining your lot's preferences to my grandchildren. So I stay with the good ole definition of marriage thank you very much, you are certainly a weird lot.

Don't worry about it, that's my opinion of your religious belief as well.
Evandr: See what I mean by a loss of dignity? Calling people on the other side mentally ill?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well this debate is over for now anyway, so I agree it time to move on, one last thing I told you that I have to acept the mojority decision that is not a mental illnes, sooooooo! And honestly you are too strange for me to understand you and your preferences.
Sorry you're not in charge. You can leave any time you want, but the debate is over when it's over. Actually, we're the normal people here--you're the strange one. I don't know whether you noticed that you're in the minority here. Don't worry, though, we're tolerant of aberrant, mentally ill minorities.

emiliano

Sorry you're not in charge. You can leave any time you want, but the debate is over when it's over. Actually, we're the normal people here--you're the strange one. I don't know whether you noticed that you're in the minority here. Don't worry, though, we're tolerant of aberrant, mentally ill minorities.

Well like I said, nobody is stopping you, I am a complex individual, but I know what I am, a male I can see that, I am a male, I married a female and propagated, I now why I am designed the way I am. What next in your agenda?

emiliano

We all pity you, emiliano. Your world view is so cramped, limited, and illogical, and your smilies so annoying.
And your? are your sexual inclinations normal? Sorry about the smilies, I can't help it, I really like them. Don't worry , when I said that is over, I was referring to my participation, if this essue comes up in the future I may get bact to it, for now it "Hasta la vista.........! for me.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well like I said, nobody is stopping you, I am a complex individual, but I know what I am, a male I can see that, I am a male, I married a female and propagated, I now why I am designed the way I am. What next in your agenda?
Probably a cup of tea and my book, what's next on yours? I'm pretty complex myself. I'm a female, and my mate is a female, and I've propagated. Did you have a point at all?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
And your? are your sexual inclinations normal?
Completely.
Sorry about the smilies, I can't help it, I really like them. Don't worry , when I said that is over, I was referring to my participation, if this essue comes up in the future I may get bact to it, for now it "Hasta la vista.........! for me.
See you later; it's been interesting.

Evandr

Stripling Warrior
Considering that an eternal perspective would require one to be immortal then it is rather apparent that Evandr, or anyone else on this forum, can possibly possess an eternal perspective.

That only leaves divine guidance.
I can certainly see why you would believe that, you have to believe that your soul will live on forever in one fashion or another. You don't have to be able to see the eternities to understand revelation that says everyone will live on eternally.

Some state divine guidance damning homosexuality.
Others state divine guidance not damning homosexuality.
Neither can prove their case.....unless someone thinks they actually can prove the existence of their divinity.....so I think its best to establish that the line of argumentation of damning or not damning homosexuals is completely worthless.

Also understand that the generally accepted concept of "damnation" is a bit squewd, at least according to my understanding of it. Damnation means exactly that, a stopping of the forward progress of that which is being damned, much the way a river is damned.

It is my belief that those who will not live by and respect the rules established by God that are necessary for eternal progress will have eternal progress denied to them. That does not mean that they are condemned as sons or daughters of perdition and cast out as was Lucifer but it does mean that they have proven themselves unreliable stewards and cannot to be trusted with the power that might have been afforded them as sons and daughters of God, one of which is spiritual procreation or the power to bear spiritual children and enjoy eternal increase as a family unit. Living and promoting the homosexual lifestyle is an act of belligerence toward the commandments of God weather you accept the authority of God or not, the effect will be eternally the same.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Also understand that the generally accepted concept of "damnation" is a bit squewd, at least according to my understanding of it. Damnation means exactly that, a stopping of the forward progress of that which is being damned, much the way a river is damned.
Umm... "Damn" and "dam" are unrelated homonyms. One word has nothing to do with the other. Rivers are dammed, not damned.

Except maybe the River Styx... I suppose that river might properly be considered damned.

If you're using a definition for "to damn" that deviates much from to condemn, to declare evil or to consign someone to punishment, then I don't think you'll find that your definition is generally accepted.

Last edited:

Evandr

Stripling Warrior
Umm... "Damn" and "dam" are unrelated homonyms. One word has nothing to do with the other. Rivers are dammed, not damned.

Except maybe the River Styx... I suppose that river might properly be considered damned.

If you're using a definition for "to damn" that deviates much from to condemn, to declare evil or to consign someone to punishment, then I don't think you'll find that your definition is generally accepted.

Very good, I guess it would have been more grammatically correct if I used the spelling Dam instead of damn with one big exception, when a persons forward progression is eternally halted, although it can be termed "Dammed" they are indeed "Damned" in that the mental anguish associated with failure is likened unto a lake of hellfire and brimstone. The two words being so closely related is possibly a pure happenstance but I tend to believe that the one is a derivative of the other, I don't know but it sounds good to me because being dammed is part of being damned. :yes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Very good, I guess it would have been more grammatically correct if I used the spelling Dam instead of damn with one big exception, when a persons forward progression is eternally halted, although it can be termed "Dammed" they are indeed "Damned" in that the mental anguish associated with failure is likened unto a lake of hellfire and brimstone.
If you see it that way, so be it. Just be prepared for people to look at you funny when you use the terms that way.

The two words being so closely related is possibly a pure happenstance but I tend to believe that the one is a derivative of the other, I don't know but it sounds good to me because being dammed is part of being damned. :yes:

Nope. Apparently, "damn" came to English straight from Latin, while "dam" comes from a proto-Germanic term via either Old Norse or Middle Dutch:

dam (1)"water barrier," c.1325, probably from O.N. dammr or M.Du. dam, both from P.Gmc. *dammaz, of unknown origin.
damnc.1280, "to condemn," from O.Fr. damner, derivative of L. verb damnare, from noun damnum "damage, loss, hurt." Latin word evolved a legal meaning of "pronounce judgment upon." Theological sense is first recorded c.1325; the optative expletive use likely is as old. To be not worth a damn is from 1817. Damn Yankee, characteristic Southern U.S. term for "Northerner," is attested from 1812.
The fact that they sound the same is just a coincidence; the two words come from completely different roots, kinda like "red" and "read" or "blue" and "blew".

And the other meaning of "dam" (i.e. female animal) has a whole other origin: it came from the word "dame", meaning "woman" or "lady", which originated with the Latin word "domina" ("lady of the house") which itself came from "domus", ("house").

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I can certainly see why you would believe that, you have to believe that your soul will live on forever in one fashion or another. You don't have to be able to see the eternities to understand revelation that says everyone will live on eternally.

It is my belief that those who will not live by and respect the rules established by God that are necessary for eternal progress will have eternal progress denied to them. That does not mean that they are condemned as sons or daughters of perdition and cast out as was Lucifer but it does mean that they have proven themselves unreliable stewards and cannot to be trusted with the power that might have been afforded them as sons and daughters of God, one of which is spiritual procreation or the power to bear spiritual children and enjoy eternal increase as a family unit. Living and promoting the homosexual lifestyle is an act of belligerence toward the commandments of God weather you accept the authority of God or not, the effect will be eternally the same.

O.K., fascinating. Thank you for sharing your personal beliefs, however odd. Now please explain why this should have any bearing on the rest of us.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Very good, I guess it would have been more grammatically correct if I used the spelling Dam instead of damn with one big exception, when a persons forward progression is eternally halted, although it can be termed "Dammed" they are indeed "Damned" in that the mental anguish associated with failure is likened unto a lake of hellfire and brimstone. The two words being so closely related is possibly a pure happenstance but I tend to believe that the one is a derivative of the other, I don't know but it sounds good to me because being dammed is part of being damned. :yes:
I love the creative way you just invent your own reality with no regard to the facts. I mean, it's not as though you were sitting at a computer with access to the internet where you could just look this up for yourself or anything. The technical term for this is making **** up. What's really interesting is that you just got done telling us what you believe, as though there is the slightest relationship between your beliefs and reality, and then proceed to demonstrate that you construct your beliefs with no regard for reality whatsoever.