• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm not sure where you found that, but none of the several definitions on dictionary.com for bigot mention anything about hate or hatred. They're basically all about the same as that definition you quote without the "especially..." part.

In fact, it seems that the word got its roots in referring to religious people who fit that description.

I'm pretty sure Webster's is a little more reliable than dictionary.com.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Clearly you don't have your facts in order, They have yet to prove either way about the nature of homosexuality.

But it makes sense to me that it is a social construct because it continues to exist in light of the fact that is a de-evolutionary trait.

Clearly you don't have your facts in order. There is no such thing as a "de-evolutionary trait". If a trait hinders a species survival, it is bred out over time. If a trait stays around for thousands of years, it clearly isn't a hindrance to the survival of the species. Evolution is only concerned with species adapting to their environment. You might need to brush up on it, and then come back.

Watchmen

Premium Member
But it makes sense to me that it is a social construct because it continues to exist in light of the fact that is a de-evolutionary trait.

I take it from this comment that you believe homosexuality is not a genetic trait. Tell me (and I've asked before and I don't think you've answered), why do you hold this view when the Church itself says it is not known what causes homosexuality (nature or nurture)?

Watchmen

Premium Member
:confused: Websters is one of several dictionaries cited on dictionary.com.

Well, my bad then. Point is, Websters, a reliable dictionary, does include hate in its definition/example of a "bigot."

I think there are some YES on 8 who are bigots towards same-sex couples.

I think there are some NO on 8 who are bigots towards Mormons.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm pretty sure Webster's is a little more reliable than dictionary.com.

I'm pretty sure it's not, considering it takes its definitions from several different dictionaries, including Webster's. That also doesn't make sense anyway. All dictionaries do is record how words are used. As long as they are officially published, they are valid. Also, just for you I looked it up in my own Webster's discitonary, and it mentions nothing about hate. Obviously, some people like to use it in connection with hate, but generally it's not a requirement of the use of the word.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, my bad then. Point is, Websters, a reliable dictionary, does include hate in its definition/example of a "bigot."

As I said, some people do use "bigot" to refer to hate, but it's not necessary. One can use it without the "hate" connotation.

I'm sure there are some bigots on the No on 8 side, but I'd be willing to bet there isn't a very high percentage.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it's not, considering it takes its definitions from several different dictionaries, including Webster's. That also doesn't make sense anyway. All dictionaries do is record how words are used. As long as they are officially published, they are valid. Also, just for you I looked it up in my own Webster's discitonary, and it mentions nothing about hate. Obviously, some people like to use it in connection with hate, but generally it's not a requirement of the use of the word.

It does mention hate. I copied and pasted it earlier. Did you look up "bigot" ?

Watchmen

Premium Member
As I said, some people do use "bigot" to refer to hate, but it's not necessary. One can use it without the "hate" connotation.

I'm sure there are some bigots on the No on 8 side, but I'd be willing to bet there isn't a very high percentage.

Well, that brings up a good point. We have no hard numbers of how many bigots there are on the YES side and how many there are on the NO side. To vote YES does not automatically make one a bigot.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It does mention hate. I copied and pasted it earlier. Did you look up "bigot" ?

Yup. I probably have a differen edition than you, but it's still a Webster's dictionary. I believe you that yours mentions hate. I'm just saying that many others don't, and so it's not a requirement when using the word.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Do you realize that the vast majority of people bigoted towards Mormons are their fellow Christians who see their sect as a blasphemous perversion? I assure you most pro-gay people were most likely largely indifferent toward LDS until it engaged in political meddling.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yup. I probably have a differen edition than you, but it's still a Webster's dictionary. I believe you that yours mentions hate. I'm just saying that many others don't, and so it's not a requirement when using the word.

Well, just so we can keep arguing because that's the only thing worth doing on the RF these days, I looked it up online, which means I was most likely using the most recent edition.

Honestly, I'm just teasin' at this point. :)

Watchmen

Premium Member
Do you realize that the vast majority of people bigoted towards Mormons are their fellow Christians who see their sect as a blasphemous perversion? I you assure most pro-gay people were most likely largely indifferent toward LDS until it engaged in political meddling.

Yeah - I know. Jonny brought up that point somewhere.

What point are you trying to make?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, that brings up a good point. We have no hard numbers of how many bigots there are on the YES side and how many there are on the NO side. To vote YES does not automatically make one a bigot.

I disagree with the last part. That's the difference, voting yes is a sign of bigotry to me.

Watchmen

Premium Member
My point is that if the LDS kept to itself and minded its own business, it wouldn't be facing the hostile backlash it is now.

Agreed. But I know many LDS would respond that if the LDS had kept to itself and minded its own business, Prop 8 would not have passed. And they'd say it as if some time of Armageddon was imminent because of it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Agreed. But I know many LDS would respond that if the LDS had kept to itself and minded its own business, Prop 8 would not have passed. And they'd say it as if some time of Armageddon was imminent because of it.

But wouldn't they want the arrival Armageddon so Jesus can come again and whisk them away?