• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

legalization of Marijuana

what should be done?

• Legalize it! Go NORML!

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Decriminalize it. No more than a speeding ticket.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • only for medicinal uses

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Come on didn't you see Reefer Madness? It's evil! arrest all hippies!

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
But if it was entertaining you at the time, what was to dumb about watching for about 3 hours?

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
jewscout said:
umm not to be contradictory...but i have done some pretty dumb things when i was high....
like watching an informercial about the Friar's Roast circa 1980 over and over again for like 3 hours:D

of course i was laughing so hard that my sides hurt so take it how you will...
My brother does that sober! Seriously, that child's a freak...

...he'll sit and watch infomercials about vacum cleaners through the night if we allowed him to. He says it makes him veg out...:confused:

Luke Wolf said:
What is stupid about using pot?
This is why I think smoking pot is stupid:

According to the American Cancer Society.... http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Smoking_Marijuana_May_Increase_Cancer_Risk.asp

"The tars in marijuana smoke are unquestionably carcinogenic," notes Dawn Willis, PhD, MPH, director of research communication for the American Cancer Society (ACS). "And studies have found that compared with tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains four times as much tar."
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/update/NWS_1_1xU_Experts__Pot_Smoking_Is_Not_Best_Choice_to_Treat_Chemo_Side_Effects.asp

"Marijuana contains more tar than cigarettes. Marijuana is also inhaled very deeply and the smoke is held in the lungs for a long time. Marijuana is smoked all the way to the end where tar content is the highest. Many of the cancer-causing substances in tobacco are also found in marijuana."
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_What_are_the_risk_factors_for_lung_cancer_26.asp

I think smoking cigarrettes is stupid, so by the transitive property of stupidity, I also think smoking something that contains more tar than cigarrettes is stupid.

If you don't think filling your lungs with tar is stupid, please say so, so that I can quote you and use it as evidence that smoking pot impairs judgement. :)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Luke Wolf said:
But if it was entertaining you at the time, what was to dumb about watching for about 3 hours?
because when i saw it sober..
A) it wasn't that funny...at all and
B) it replayed itself like 5 times i just was too stoned to care...

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
According to the American Cancer Society.... http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/c...ncer_Ris k.asp

"The tars in marijuana smoke are unquestionably carcinogenic," notes Dawn Willis, PhD, MPH, director of research communication for the American Cancer Society (ACS). "And studies have found that compared with tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains four times as much tar."
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/c...ide_Effects.asp

"Marijuana contains more tar than cigarettes. Marijuana is also inhaled very deeply and the smoke is held in the lungs for a long time. Marijuana is smoked all the way to the end where tar content is the highest. Many of the cancer-causing substances in tobacco are also found in marijuana."
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/c...canc er_26.asp

I think smoking cigarrettes is stupid, so by the transitive property of stupidity, I also think smoking something that contains more tar than cigarrettes is stupid.

If you don't think filling your lungs with tar is stupid, please say so, so that I can quote you and use it as evidence that smoking pot impairs judgement.
smile.gif
Of course, that entire argument is refuted when it is realized that some people utilize the effects of marijuana by chewing and sucking it under the tongue, where the mucous membranes absorb it into the blood.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Mr_Spinkles said:
This is why I think smoking pot is stupid:

According to the American Cancer Society.... http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Smoking_Marijuana_May_Increase_Cancer_Risk.asp

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/update/NWS_1_1xU_Experts__Pot_Smoking_Is_Not_Best_Choice_to_Treat_Chemo_Side_Effects.asp

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_What_are_the_risk_factors_for_lung_cancer_26.asp

If you don't think filling your lungs with tar is stupid, please say so, so that I can quote you and use it as evidence that smoking pot impairs judgement. :)
Druidus has a point...none of this matters if i make magic brownies....

Which by the way are the bomb!!

Druidus said:
Of course, that entire argument is refuted when it is realized that some people utilize the effects of marijuana by chewing and sucking it under the tongue, where the mucous membranes absorb it into the blood.
I fail to see how this refutes the fact that smoking pot is stupid. I also don't see how it is very smart for one to put something that contains many of the same carcinogens as cigarrettes in one's mouth, but maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

Faminedynasty

I think anyone who's willing to think about it logically will concede that legalization and regulation would benefit society greatly, both in regards to drugs and prostitution. Far less crime, violence, std's etc. I think most senators would admit that off the record, but they still attempt to enfore these absurd policies of prohibition because of religious beliefs not based in morality.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I fail to see how this refutes the fact that smoking pot is stupid. I also don't see how it is very smart for one to put something that contains many of the same carcinogens as cigarrettes in one's mouth, but maybe I'm missing something.
confused.gif
Spinks, I feel that eating meat is stupid too. It's plainly unhealthy. It's full of carcinogens, it's laden with cholesterol and artificial growth hormones used to "enhance" production, and it's caused the U.S., which is the country that has the highest meat consumption in the world, to also have the highest cancer, heart disease, and obesity rates in world.

It's plain stupid to put something like that in one's mouth. Chewing marijuana is less so, because at least you don't swallow the leaf and fibre, which contains the largest portion of carcinogens.

If you eat meat, drink pop, drink milk, eat chees, eat butter, eat eggs, eat beans, eat certain nuts, eat certain vegetables/fruits, you eat carcinogens. They exist all around you. Some people will just get more of it than you. That should be their legal right.

Druidus said:
Spinks, I feel that eating meat is stupid too. It's plainly unhealthy. It's full of carcinogens, it's laden with cholesterol and artificial growth hormones used to "enhance" production, and it's caused the U.S., which is the country that has the highest meat consumption in the world, to also have the highest cancer, heart disease, and obesity rates in world.
So you admit that smoking pot is stupid? ;)

Druidus said:
Some people will just get more of it than you. That should be their legal right.
Well Dru, you've got me there. :)

Ceridwen018

In the paraphrased words of Chris Rock,

"If you're lucky enough to get your hands on a steak, you'd better be eatin' that MF'n steak!"

It's plain stupid to put something like that in one's mouth. Chewing marijuana is less so, because at least you don't swallow the leaf and fibre, which contains the largest portion of carcinogens.
Carcinogens aside, what about the fact that it obscures a person's judgment? Does that make it stupid?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
During it's period of mind altering, sure, it's stupid. But you won't see a pothead hurting anybody. If you've got nachos and dip, they'll practically be your slaves! If they drive, they'll go about 5km per hour.

You don't have to worry about that.

Now, alcohol, that's another story. It's more stupid than marijuana. And yet, it's more widely used. Hmm...

In the paraphrased words of Chris Rock,

"If you're lucky enough to get your hands on a steak, you'd better be eatin' that MF'n steak!"
Than, by that logic, if you're lucky enough to get your hands on some marijuana, you better be smokin' that MF'n blunt.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
So you admit that smoking pot is stupid?
wink.gif
I never said it was a good idea. Smoking anything is a bad idea. But chewing marijuana is no worse that drinking alcohol, and is probably much better.

I just feel that it is not the job of the state to outlaw things that only harm the person doing it. Allow them to smoke it, but only in their own homes. What's the problem there? What actually hurts a bystander? Nothing.

Druidus said:
I just feel that it is not the job of the state to outlaw things that only harm the person doing it. Allow them to smoke it, but only in their own homes. What's the problem there? What actually hurts a bystander? Nothing.
The man has a point! :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Druidus said:
I'm quite sure that smoking in the privacy of your own home would destroy family values and the sanctity of marriage.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Mr_Spinkles said:
I fail to see how this refutes the fact that smoking pot is stupid. I also don't see how it is very smart for one to put something that contains many of the same carcinogens as cigarrettes in one's mouth, but maybe I'm missing something. :confused:
well if you make them right you get none of the carcinogens in the brownies...:D

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
Sunstone said:
I'm quite sure that smoking in the privacy of your own home would destroy family values and the sanctity of marriage.
How exactly? My friend's dad smokes pot and he's been married for 26 years. His wife sometimes joins him to. And my friend's one of the most down to earth person I know, he prefers not to smoke pot because it hurts his throat. So I don't agree with your statement...

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
How exactly? My friend's dad smokes pot and he's been married for 26 years. His wife sometimes joins him to. And my friend's one of the most down to earth person I know, he prefers not to smoke pot because it hurts his throat. So I don't agree with your statement...
Sunstone is often sarcastic like that. I like it, but it tends to confuse new members.

ZYou'll get used to this, and our other quirks, hopefully. ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/c...canc er_26.asp
Not everyone inhales deeply and holds the smoke. I don't get as good of a high if I do this.
Im assuming the line that says "Marijuana is smoked all the way to the end.." is refering to the end of the joint, bong, pipe, etc. But if this is the case, the tar can't possible be any worse at the end than it is at the front, since you roll your own joint, and fill your own bongs and pipes.
Also, its a known fact that cigarettes have many cancer-causing and poisinous additives, such as Nicotine. If youve ever seen a list of all the cigarette additives, its several pages long. That would mean that people who grow pot would have to add several things to thier own weed to make it have more cancer causing additives than cigarettes.

.... that smoking pot impairs judgement.
Pot smoking doesn't impair judgement. You think normally when your high. You're just mellowed-out, kinda like after waking up from a short nap, and your relaxed. Also you get the munchies, or sometimes you get thirsty.
One thing to remember when reading a source like the one you listed is they won't tell the truth, it will be biased, heavely manipulated statistics they use. Why would the Cancer Society say its OK to smoke something, when that could possible lose them money?
If you want to know what pot does, ask someone who smokes or chews it.