• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legitimate reasons not to believe in God

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
In the 2nd century Gnosticism was 50% of Christians..
..and who propagated that? Romans, of course.
..and the claim is that the other half were "pukka" ;)

They has all sorts of different beliefs about Jesus..
..I'm sure they did .. not surprising..

God told early Christians in the 3rd century in some way that that is true..
..and through which "mechanism", did He do that? :D

If you don't believe he resurrected as a savior you are not Christian..
You keep claiming that..
NOBODY "owns" God .. or Jesus .. or Muhammad.

Right, Orthodox Christians can claim that JW's are not Christians, and the Jews will claim that they are not Jews..
What are they then?? :D

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Since you like supernatural claims without evidence..
No .. I don't.
That is why I don't believe in any old thing.

I'll stick to what biblical historians can point out and piece together..
..particularly conclusions of disbelief.. ;)

I care about what is actually true. Not what I want to be true..
Easy to say .. not so easy to do.
It is clear that you have preconceived beliefs .. you have already decided that God is very unlikely to exist.
..so you "see" that everything points towards it.

IS the Bahai revelations on Christian history a "valid point of view"?
Am I a Bahai? No.
Going through each religion shows us nothing, other than I do not believe it.
..nothing else.

Peer-reviewed biblical studies don't just look at Roman knowledge? It looks at what Jews were saying, Christians, what all nations were saying, what the historians at the time were saying, Heroditus, Pliny, Josephus, whomever.....what the Gnostic gospels say, what the letters of Ireaneus, Ignatious, archaeology, any credible information who would have known what was going on..
I agree with you .. that's great.
..and naturally, there is more than one opinion.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Time is a property of the universe in every way. This has been confirmed since 1926 when general relativity came out. It's since been verified in many many ways. GPS, Mercurys orbital problem, gravity waves, expanding space, time dillation seen in atomic clocks and particle experiments..
Total nonsense..
If time was purely a "property of the universe", then it is not possible for anything to exist apart from it.

Are you making that claim?
..that nothing can possibly exist, apart from the universe?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Again, not hard. I enjoy getting along with people, I have no care at all to steal, hurt people, I want to train, read, study, learn, work, why would living a normal life be so hard to you. If you have compulsions to do crimes it's not the norm.

You follow men. Men wrote the Quran.

If you cannot answer something how bout not including it in the response? Why format a post to write three dots?

Wait, you said the Quran was inconcievable that it was written by humans, the wisdom was one of the points and reasons. Now you are saying the BEST gem of wisdom is don't start aggression or plot inequities?
Basically the golden rule?????

Maybe try that one again?
That's like a God coming down and saying "hold...I have an all important message......last person to finish the toilet paper.. REPLACES IT!!"

Uh, you haven't given evidence for prophets.
You haven't shown where any other religion claims to have prophets.
YOu haven't shown there is a theistic God who has messages that sound suspiciously like a human king.

If it's all true you haven't explained why the names and much theology is different.
You haven't explained how those prophets don't have the exact truth instead of you.
You haven't even demonstrated that the actual theology of Christianity isn't correct if a God is real?

correct, you haven't explained why the Israelites wouldn't get their theology from their God and instead learned it from Mesopotamians. Then 600 years later from Persians, then 500 years later from Greek religion. Almost nothing from Yahweh.

Your prophet idea doesn't even work if all this is real.

Well then until you can show that prophets are actually real it's syncretism.

That explanation doesn't work at all. Jesus is a complete copy of other religious theology. He isn't needed at all.
Your idea about "something was wrong" is also not supported by anything. What it looks like is Muhammad did exactly what the Bahai writer did. Nothing is wrong because Christian theology is made up and the Quran theology is made up.

Now if prophets are real than the Bahai prophet is the latest version, like he said, God gives progressive revelations to prophets so it's now time to have Bahai be the latest word from God.

Sorry, not exactly. The tenants of the religion are in the gospels. That is all Persian and Greek theology. Which you just said was from prophets and must be real. SO the Jesus story DOES fit the correct theology and therefore is correct.
If the prophets are real and in those religions like you say.
So it's correct. If Muhammad had a real prophet than it would have been said what the issues were with the beliefs. This prophet idea is really not working in so many ways. It's not real anyways but if it was you have created many inconsistancies.

Quote" The tenants (tenets)* of the religion** are in the (four) gospels. " Unquote from friend @Joel , please.

Sorry, none of the core " Christian" beliefs/tenets/creeds from (Jesus) Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah in first person and
in an unambiguous, unequivocal and straightforward manner are found in the the four Gospels , one gets to know, please, right?

Regards

F1fan

Veteran Member
No .. I don't.
Islam is pretty old.

It is clear that you have preconceived beliefs .. you have already decided that God is very unlikely to exist.
Why would a rational mind asume any gods exist? Just because it is popular among theists? There is no evidence for them.

Am I a Bahai? No.
..nothing else.
So that's how truth works? The Quran is only true if you identify as a Muslim?

Total nonsense..
If time was purely a "property of the universe", then it is not possible for anything to exist apart from it.
That's bad luck for your religious beliefs. Of course science, facts, and reality doesn't revolve around the beliefs of theists.

We defer to experts in science to answer such questions. Some questions can't be answered so we default to "I don't know", which is honest. Assuming alternatives is not valid or rational.

joelr

..and who propagated that? Romans, of course.
..and the claim is that the other half were "pukka" ;)

Uh, no? Rome did not care about Christianity at all until the 3rd century. Pliny was sent to investigate and called them "harmless superstition" in 112 AD.
"Pliny states that his investigations have revealed nothing on the Christians' part but harmless practices and "depraved, excessive superstition."

All historical sources confirm the 2nd century was a wide mix, 50% roughly being Gnostic. The detailed letters of Bishop
Irenaeus show this to be correct. He wanted to have scripture only read, taught and interpreted by people like himself and called the other sects heretics.
Elaine Pagels book The Gnostic Gospels shows many letters from the Bishop and information about these Gnostic sects.

I provided a breakdown of some of the major sects in the 2nd century so I don't understand why you are asking these questions?

..I'm sure they did .. not surprising..
Yes because it's made up like all religions.

..and through which "mechanism", did He do that? :D

Through the same mechanism a 12 year old tells a story about an angel visiting Muhammad and people buy it. Cognative bias.

One of the creeds - We believe in the Holy Spirit, the uncreate and the perfect; Who spoke through the Law, the prophets, and the Gospels; Who came down upon the Jordan, preached through the apostles, and lived in the saints. - seems to assume the 4 gospels were the perfect truth which God wanted to be used.

The exact method by which they were chosen is not known. The Gnostics used other gospels but Irenaeus mentioned 4 gospels at one point. They had not yet been named but he quoted passages from 2 that are used today.
It's possible the 4 main churches (making the most money) in Rome each used one gospel and the 4 were combined to satisfy each church? Each gospel was written to be unique or stand-alone.
Matthew was an upgraded Mark, at least to Matthew or whomever wrote it.

Anyway, doesn't matter, all supernatural claims are just that. All equally unproven, unlikely and made uup to bolster the text being pushed as truth.

You keep claiming that..
NOBODY "owns" God .. or Jesus .. or Muhammad.
There is no Christian church that denies the resurrection. That's why it's called Christianity?

But Muslims are not Christians. The Quran has many negative statements about Jews and Christians. But I don't care really. Do whatever you want, it's all folklore anyways.

Right, Orthodox Christians can claim that JW's are not Christians, and the Jews will claim that they are not Jews..
What are they then??

It's well established that the theology of Christianity is Jesus was divine and resurrected. If you don't buy that I don't know why you would want to argue that you can be called Christian?
But again, whatever.
By the same tolken a Muslim can make different claims about Muhammad then if a new religion changes the story in some way and they say they are Muslim and the new religion....

joelr

No .. I don't.

A guy claiming he's been visited by an angel is "any old thing" until angels appear and demonstrate they are real. Same with Gods and the supernatural.

So, yes you do.

..particularly conclusions of disbelief.. ;)

Uh, no I listen to ALL EVIDENCE. I don't care what it proves or disproves. Why do you think I keep saying I care about the truth? Then all you can do is provide NO evidence and accuse me of being bias? Fallacy after fallacy.
Funny how it's the scholars fault or my bias....anything to keep from admitting the actual reality.

It is clear that you have preconceived beliefs .. you have already decided that God is very unlikely to exist..
No, not so easy to do. Which is why you completely fail at investigating truth and instead just read mythology and listen to apologetics. When asked about scholars you handwave and acuse them of bias and disbelief. As if it isn't the evidence. Fallacy after fallacy.

And I do not have preconceived beliefs. When I demonstrate that I don't have preconceived beliefs by showing the scholarship you take issue with that - "wall of text"...."bias text"..........yeah, or examining evidence maybe. Everytime you are backed into a corner you change tactics or make false acusations. Cognative bias and fallacy.

I have beliefs and I explain them and how I got to that position. The beliefs FOLLOW the evidence. I follow evidence because I care about what is true.
While you do the opposite yet hypocritically accuse me of being the one with bias??
Very easy to see how you have convinced yourself of false beliefs.

No just the evidence points toward it. Faith, wishful thinking, unsupported beliefs, those support anything you want them too. Like Islam, JW, Seventh Dat Adventist......

Am I a Bahai? No.
..nothing else.

Yes that is your take because you refuse to see the larger picture. Confirmation bias will not allow you too see obvious truths. This one is glaring and huge.
You think Islamic revisions of history are valid because a guy claimed revelations. Well another guy also claimed revelations, and you don't care at all.
Exactly. Why is that? You don't believe it? Why? No evidence. In this case you use logical rational thinking.
With your religion, the exact same situation, you don't and therefore use cognitive bias and dissonance to ignore fallacies.

How do I know? Well show the good evidence that supports your religion then?

I agree with you .. that's great.
..and naturally, there is more than one opinion.

Uh, not really. The field is generally in consensus.

For exampkle on Genesis using Mesopotamian myths:

20:28

Genesis uses Mesopotamian legends

Dr. Francesca Stavrakopoulou Professor of Hebrew Bible

Francesca Stavrakopoulou is a British biblical scholar and broadcaster. She is currently Professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. The main focus of her research is on the Hebrew Bible, and on Israelite and Judahite history and religion.

“Scholars agree much of Genesis is riffing off much older Mesopotamian stories..”

“We all know there are much older versions of the flood going around..”

Or that monotheism was a late term invented in later centuries
No early monotheism

1:10:15

joelr

Total nonsense..

If you are calling general relativity total nonsense then I don't care. Be as illiterate as you like.

But yes, you are going by an old version of what time is. It's now been shown to be a dimension of spacetime and causality exists because of a finite speed of light.

"Until the 20th century, it was assumed that the three-dimensional geometry of the universe (its spatial expression in terms of coordinates, distances, and directions) was independent of one-dimensional time."

Mass cannot travel faster than light, it's impossible. Light determines causality. If light went 1 foot per second , when someone threw a ball at you you standing 20 feet away you could not see the ball until the light reached you of the person throwing the ball. 20 seconds later. Mass can only travel at a fraction of light speed without massive energy so it would take a long time to reach you. Causality would be weird.
If light was infinite the light from every point in the universe would be constantly reaching you now. It would be bad. You need light/photons and particles to exist in 3 dimensions of spacetime to have objects and space. You also need 1 dimension of time for events to unfold in a linear fashion. Otherwise things would exist in a static moment forever.

Currently, yes, we need spacetime for things, mass, movement, the 4 fundamental forces, quantum fields, and to be able to move forward in the time dimension.
Time and space can and are warped by mass, velocity and are shown to be "things". Outside of spacetime there may be other spacetime AND there may be pockets of nothing, no time or space.
As of now spacetime is needed for space and time. At a point where there was no spacetime there were no particles (from quantum fields) no energy, space, time, nothing. As far as we know.

You can speculate about whatever but there is no proof, evidence or whatever. Ancient stories that say a God started it all are just that. Ancient stories. People didn't know germs never mind atoms or physics.

"In physics, spacetime is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time into a single four-dimensional manifold. Spacetime diagrams can be used to visualize relativistic effects, such as why different observers perceive differently where and when events occur.

Until the 20th century, it was assumed that the three-dimensional geometry of the universe (its spatial expression in terms of coordinates, distances, and directions) was independent of one-dimensional time. The physicist Albert Einstein helped develop the idea of spacetime as part of his theory of relativity. Prior to his pioneering work, scientists had two separate theories to explain physical phenomena: Isaac Newton's laws of physics described the motion of massive objects, while James Clerk Maxwell's electromagnetic models explained the properties of light. However, in 1905, Einstein based a work on special relativity on two postulates:

• The laws of physics are invariant (i.e., identical) in all inertial systems (i.e., non-accelerating frames of reference)
  • The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all inertial observers, regardless of the motion of the light source.
The logical consequence of taking these postulates together is the inseparable joining of the four dimensions—hitherto assumed as independent—of space and time. Many counterintuitive consequences emerge: in addition to being independent of the motion of the light source, the speed of light is constant regardless of the frame of reference in which it is measured; the distances and even temporal ordering of pairs of events change when measured in different inertial frames of reference (this is the relativity of simultaneity); and the linear additivity of velocities no longer holds true.

Why would I make an absolute claim without evidence? I care about truth not fantasy.

Our current understanding of time and space show it's a structure in a balance that creates time, causality, allows energy to bind together into particles forming objects and massless particles of light give causality. We evolved to use light as a way to "see". If particles of mass were not possible everything would be light moving at the fastest possible speed in space and zero in time.
The universe would be timeless.
Mass particles are bound energy and move much slower than light and experience time and causality. This is a interesting system but if it's not there there is no mechanism to create time or spacial structure.
Maybe there is another physics outside of the universe? Total speculation. More science is needed.
It is also possible things existing outside of spacetime have no temporal or spacial experience, I don't even know how they would take up space without space? There are mysteries in science.

Or you can ask a prophet to tell us all the answers. None have yet, not even one little thing. Just stories that sound a lot like other stories already told.....?

joelr

Quote" The tenants (tenets)* of the religion** are in the (four) gospels. " Unquote from friend @Joel , please.

Sorry, none of the core " Christian" beliefs/tenets/creeds from (Jesus) Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah in first person and
in an unambiguous, unequivocal and straightforward manner are found in the the four Gospels , one gets to know, please, right?

Regards

Baptism
eucharist
the Logos
salvation
heaven
dying/rising savior demigod
God gives freewill so humans can choose to be good/sin
God is uncreated
Satan is an enemy of mankind and God
Satan rules Hell
a final battle/2nd coming where all followers get resurrected in new bodies and live in paradise on Earth
savior goes through a passion
miracles
revelations
savior resurrects in new body, ascends to heaven
seven heavens, planets, stars in middle, God at top
Hell as a place of torment
messianic savior is virgin born

are a few of the tenants I was talking about that come from Persia or Greek religions.

Here are a few words by scholar Mary Boyce on the Persian influence of Judaism and later Christianity:

"
Doctrines

fundamental doctrines became disseminated throughout the region, from Egypt to the Black Sea: namely that there is a supreme God who is the Creator; that an evil power exists which is opposed to him, and not under his control; that he has emanated many lesser divinities to help combat this power; that he has created this world for a purpose, and that in its present state it will have an end; that this end will be heralded by the coming of a cosmic Saviour, who will help to bring it about; that meantime heaven and hell exist, with an individual judgment to decide the fate of each soul at death; that at the end of time there will be a resurrection of the dead and a Last Judgment, with annihilation of the wicked; and that thereafter the kingdom of God will come upon earth, and the righteous will enter into it as into a garden (a Persian word for which is 'paradise'), and be happy there in the presence of God for ever, immortal themselves in body as well as soul. These doctrines all came to be adopted by various Jewish schools in the post-Exilic period, for the Jews were one of the peoples, it seems, most open to Zoroastrian influences - a tiny minority, holding staunchly to their own beliefs, but evidently admiring their Persian benefactors, and finding congenial elements in their faith. Worship of the one supreme God, and belief in the coming of a Messiah or Saviour, together with adherence to a way of life which combined moral and spiritual aspirations with a strict code of behaviour (including purity laws) were all matters in which Judaism and Zoroastrianism were in harmony; and it was this harmony, it seems, reinforced by the respect of a subject people for a great protective power, which allowed Zoroastrian doctrines to exert their influence. The extent of this influence is best attested, however, by Jewish writings of the Parthian period, when Christianity and the Gnostic faiths, as well as northern Buddhism, all likewise bore witness to the profound effect: which Zoroaster's teachings had had throughout the lands of the Achaernenian empire."

The Persian influence was mentioned in the OT. Cyrus was the Persian emissary - go-between while the Persians ruled Israel. He was well liked and spoken highly of in scripture.
1st Persian influence on Judaism

Cyrus' actions were, moreover, those of a loyal Mazda-worshipper, in that he sought to govern his vast new empire justly and well, in accordance with asha. He made no attempt, however, to impose the Iranian religion on his alien subjects - indeed it would have been wholly impractical to attempt it, in view of their numbers, and the antiquity of their own faiths - but rather encouraged them to live orderly and devout lives according to their own tenets. Among the many anarya who experienced his statesmanlike kindness were the Jews, whom he permitted to return from exile in Babylon and to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem. This was only one of many liberal acts recorded of Cyrus, but it was of particular moment for the religious history of mankind; for the Jews entertained warm feelings thereafter for the Persians, and

this made them the more receptive to Zoroastrian influences. Cyrus • himself is hailed by 'Second Isaiah' (a nameless prophet of the Exilic period) as a messiah, that is, one who acted in Yahweh's name and with his authority. 'Behold my servant whom I uphold' (Yahweh himself is represented as saying). '(Cyrus) will bring forth justice to the nations. . . . He will not fail . . . till he has established justice in the earth' (Isaiah 42. I, 4). The same prophet celebrates Yahweh for the first time in Jewish literature as Creator, as Ahura Mazda had been celebrated by Zoroaster: 'I, Yahweh, who created all things ... I made the earth, and created man on it .... Let the skies rain down justice ... I, Yahweh, have created it' (Isaiah 44.24, 45. 8, 12). The parallels with Zoroastrian doctrine and scripture are so striking that these verses have been taken to represent the first imprint of that influence which Zoroastrianism was to exert so powerfully on postExilic Judaism.

The Greek influence is a whole different topic which many papers and books speak on.

joelr

We all do !
That is how we live our lives.

We believe this and that to be true or false etc.
Your claim is illogical. :D

Strawman and change the goalpost fallacy.

The context you meant it in was I have preconceived beliefs regarding religion. Then implying I only use evidence to support my notion. Not true. All of the evidence does not support the supernatural.
If you have evidence, present it. Why do you think I keep asking? For fun? I ask, ask, ask, ask and you just make claims about how I only use this evidence and that evidence???
Absurd? Constant change of direction? I see no evidence. Provide some. You sound like you are aware there is evidence? Show it. Explain it.

When it comes to belief, I do not hold preconceived notions without evidence, EVER?????? You tell me when I do that?
You probably don't either. Except for the one thing. Which is why it's so weird.

Let me guess.........."uh, you fly on planes with faith that they will work........"

NO, I have EVIDENCE that most planes are super safe. They rely on testable science that has been demonstrated to be reliable.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said: #1144

Regards

Baptism
eucharist
the Logos
salvation
heaven
dying/rising savior demigod
God gives freewill so humans can choose to be good/sin
God is uncreated
Satan is an enemy of mankind and God
Satan rules Hell
a final battle/2nd coming where all followers get resurrected in new bodies and live in paradise on Earth
savior goes through a passion
miracles
revelations
savior resurrects in new body, ascends to heaven
seven heavens, planets, stars in middle, God at top
Hell as a place of torment
messianic savior is virgin born

are a few of the tenants I was talking about that come from Persia or Greek religions.

Here are a few words by scholar Mary Boyce on the Persian influence of Judaism and later Christianity:

"
Doctrines

fundamental doctrines became disseminated throughout the region, from Egypt to the Black Sea: namely that there is a supreme God who is the Creator; that an evil power exists which is opposed to him, and not under his control; that he has emanated many lesser divinities to help combat this power; that he has created this world for a purpose, and that in its present state it will have an end; that this end will be heralded by the coming of a cosmic Saviour, who will help to bring it about; that meantime heaven and hell exist, with an individual judgment to decide the fate of each soul at death; that at the end of time there will be a resurrection of the dead and a Last Judgment, with annihilation of the wicked; and that thereafter the kingdom of God will come upon earth, and the righteous will enter into it as into a garden (a Persian word for which is 'paradise'), and be happy there in the presence of God for ever, immortal themselves in body as well as soul. These doctrines all came to be adopted by various Jewish schools in the post-Exilic period, for the Jews were one of the peoples, it seems, most open to Zoroastrian influences - a tiny minority, holding staunchly to their own beliefs, but evidently admiring their Persian benefactors, and finding congenial elements in their faith. Worship of the one supreme God, and belief in the coming of a Messiah or Saviour, together with adherence to a way of life which combined moral and spiritual aspirations with a strict code of behaviour (including purity laws) were all matters in which Judaism and Zoroastrianism were in harmony; and it was this harmony, it seems, reinforced by the respect of a subject people for a great protective power, which allowed Zoroastrian doctrines to exert their influence. The extent of this influence is best attested, however, by Jewish writings of the Parthian period, when Christianity and the Gnostic faiths, as well as northern Buddhism, all likewise bore witness to the profound effect: which Zoroaster's teachings had had throughout the lands of the Achaernenian empire."

The Persian influence was mentioned in the OT. Cyrus was the Persian emissary - go-between while the Persians ruled Israel. He was well liked and spoken highly of in scripture.
1st Persian influence on Judaism

Cyrus' actions were, moreover, those of a loyal Mazda-worshipper, in that he sought to govern his vast new empire justly and well, in accordance with asha. He made no attempt, however, to impose the Iranian religion on his alien subjects - indeed it would have been wholly impractical to attempt it, in view of their numbers, and the antiquity of their own faiths - but rather encouraged them to live orderly and devout lives according to their own tenets. Among the many anarya who experienced his statesmanlike kindness were the Jews, whom he permitted to return from exile in Babylon and to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem. This was only one of many liberal acts recorded of Cyrus, but it was of particular moment for the religious history of mankind; for the Jews entertained warm feelings thereafter for the Persians, and

this made them the more receptive to Zoroastrian influences. Cyrus • himself is hailed by 'Second Isaiah' (a nameless prophet of the Exilic period) as a messiah, that is, one who acted in Yahweh's name and with his authority. 'Behold my servant whom I uphold' (Yahweh himself is represented as saying). '(Cyrus) will bring forth justice to the nations. . . . He will not fail . . . till he has established justice in the earth' (Isaiah 42. I, 4). The same prophet celebrates Yahweh for the first time in Jewish literature as Creator, as Ahura Mazda had been celebrated by Zoroaster: 'I, Yahweh, who created all things ... I made the earth, and created man on it .... Let the skies rain down justice ... I, Yahweh, have created it' (Isaiah 44.24, 45. 8, 12). The parallels with Zoroastrian doctrine and scripture are so striking that these verses have been taken to represent the first imprint of that influence which Zoroastrianism was to exert so powerfully on postExilic Judaism.

The Greek influence is a whole different topic which many papers and books speak on.
Didn't one fail to quote anything from (Jesus) Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah in first person and in an unambiguous, unequivocal and straightforward manner , as pointed out in post #1144 above ,please? Right?

Regards

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
If you are calling general relativity total nonsense then I don't care..
I never said that.
Einstein was an enlightened individual .. as was Newton, in their time.

But yes, you are going by an old version of what time is..
Not at all..
Didn't I just quote you an excerpt from wiki, about time dilation?

Maybe there is another physics outside of the universe? Total speculation. More science is needed.
It is also possible things existing outside of spacetime have no temporal or spacial experience, I don't even know how they would take up space without space? There are mysteries in science..
..another "physics"? :)

..so it is a "mystery".
Eternity is also a "mystery" .. and yet it is not hard to visualise.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
The context you meant it in was I have preconceived beliefs regarding religion..
True..

Then implying I only use evidence to support my notion. Not true..
You might not be consciously doing it, but as you seem pretty convinced that Abrahamic religion is all stories and passed down from one tradition to another and what not, it is easy to enforce that belief with your walls of text.

Why can you not discuss one thing at a time?
What is the need to flood posts with assertions by cherry-picked scholars?
I don't constantly bring Islamic scholars, with their understanding of history, into the debate .. I use my own thoughts on the topic.

If you have evidence, present it. Why do you think I keep asking?
You wouldn't want to know.. ;)

You sound like you are aware there is evidence? Show it. Explain it..
I have, and you ignore it with the same old "no evidence of gods"..

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..here is another. no Hell or devil in the OT. Yahweh forgot about that until the Persian occupation?
No, He didn't..
Orthodox Jews believe in a life after death.
It is all about interpretation.

In the time of Jesus, there were Pharisees and Sadducees
Sadducees did not believe in a life after death, while Pharisees did.
They both followed the OT.

joelr

paarsurrey said: #1144

Regards

Didn't one fail to quote anything from (Jesus) Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah in first person and in an unambiguous, unequivocal and straightforward manner , as pointed out in post #1144 above ,please? Right?

Regards

You didn't say "quotes" you said "unambiguous, unequivocal and straightforward manner". Using a dying/rising demigod, virgin born who raises in 3 days, provides salvation, goes through a passion fighting death or a devil and is raised form that......that mythic trope being used in several religions all in the same region fits your criteria.
I don't have all of the Greek and mystery religion text to make literal quote comparisons.
The Logos is said literally, Jesus is the word made flesh - the Logos, that is a literal use of a Platonic concept.
A communal meal that serves as a sacrement in several of the stories, as well as baptism. I don't understand what exactly you are looking for?
Each religion has a different writer and uses the theology in a slightly different way..

Mark was using familiar Hellenistic and Persian mythic tropes and following the OT, Epistles, Romulus, he creates a Jewish version of the story. Every version is slightly different.
The Revelation myth first was seem in the Persian religion and was also used in the NT. But the NT version adds a lot of monsters and so forth.

As a biblical historian says:
"Every dying-and-rising god is different. Every death is different. Every resurrection is different. All irrelevant. The commonality is that there is a death and a resurrection. Everything else is a mixture of syncretized ideas from the borrowing and borrowed cultures, to produce a new and unique god and myth....
Not in ancient Asia. Or anywhere else. Only the West, from Mesopotamia to North Africa and Europe. There was a very common and popular mytheme that had arisen in the Hellenistic period—from at least the death of Alexander the Great in the 300s B.C. through the Roman period, until at least Constantine in the 300s A.D. Nearly every culture created and popularized one: the Egyptians had one, the Thracians had one, the Syrians had one, the Persians had one, and so on. The Jews were actually late to the party in building one of their own, in the form of Jesus Christ. It just didn’t become popular among the Jews, and thus ended up a Gentile religion. But if any erudite religious scholar in 1 B.C. had been asked “If the Jews invented one of these gods, what would it look like?” they would have described the entire Christian religion to a T. Before it even existed. That can’t be a coincidence."

Jesus was written by Mark who did not write other savior deity stories for other religions so there will be differences. Jesus was also used to preach Hillel Judaism which is different than other religions
Hillel the Elder - Wikipedia

But yes, the tenants of the religion are in other religions. Literal word for word is not required when borrowing theology? I don't know why you seem to think that is the case?

You can see differences in the Revelation story but the general concept is exactly the same.

but Zoroaster taught that the blessed must wait for this culmination till Frashegird and the 'future body' (Pahlavi 'tan i pasen'), when the earth will give up the bones of the dead (Y 30.7). This general resurrection will be followed by the Last Judgment, which will divide all the righteous from the wicked, both those who have lived until that time and those who have been judged already. Then Airyaman, Yazata of friendship and healing, together with Atar, Fire, will melt all the metal in the mountains, and this will flow in a glowing river over the earth. All mankind must pass through this river, and, as it is said in a Pahlavi text, 'for him who is righteous it will seem like warm milk, and for him who is wicked, it will seem as if he is walking in the • flesh through molten metal' (GBd XXXIV. r 8-r 9). In this great apocalyptic vision Zoroaster perhaps fused, unconsciously, tales of volcanic eruptions and streams of burning lava with his own experience of Iranian ordeals by molten metal; and according to his stern original teaching, strict justice will prevail then, as at each individual j udgment on earth by a fiery ordeal. So at this last ordeal of all the wicked will suffer a second death, and will perish off the face of the earth. The Daevas and legions of darkness will already have been annihilated in a last great battle with the Yazatas; and the river of metal will flow down into hell, slaying Angra Mainyu and burning up the last vestige of wickedness in the universe.

Ahura Mazda and the six Amesha Spentas will then solemnize a lt, spiritual yasna, offering up the last sacrifice (after which death wW be no more), and making a preparation of the mystical 'white haoma', which will confer immortality on the resurrected bodies of all the blessed, who will partake of it. Thereafter men will beome like the Immortals themselves, of one thought, word and deed, unaging, free from sickness, without corruption, forever joyful in the kingdom of God upon earth. For it is in this familiar and beloved world, restored to its original perfection, that, according to Zoroaster, eternity will be passed in bliss, and not in a remote insubstantial Paradise. So the time of Separation is a renewal of the time of Creation, except that no return is prophesied to the original uniqueness of living things. Mountain and valley will give place once more to level plain; but whereas in the beginning there was one plant, one animal, one man, the rich variety and number that have since issued from these will remain forever. Similarly the many divinities who were brought into being by Ahura Mazda will continue to have their separate existences. There is no prophecy of their re-absorption into the Godhead. As a Pahlavi text puts it, after Frashegird 'Ohrmaid and the Amahraspands and all Yazads and men will be together. .. ; every place will resemble a garden in spring, in which

there are all kinds of trees and flowers ... and it will be entirely the creation of Ohrrnazd' (Pahl.Riv.Dd. XLVIII, 99, lOO, l07).

I'm sure there are some literal uses for comparison but I'm not scouring through 4 gospels and as I said I don't have the mystery religion scriptures except for excerpts in historians books.

Baptism or resurrecting savior deities are tenants of the religion? So I don't understand this response?

joelr

I never said that.
Einstein was an enlightened individual .. as was Newton, in their time.

You did. You said this - "Total nonsense..
If time was purely a "property of the universe", then it is not possible for anything to exist apart from it."

Our current understanding of time is that it's linked to the totality of spacetime. You are correct, in this model it seems nothing can exist apart from time.
You need spacetime with separate dimensions of space and at least one of time to even have time and causality. Maybe there is another way? We don't know.

Not at all..
Didn't I just quote you an excerpt from wiki, about time dilation?

Yes but you didn't understand it because you said something about time that sounds like a per-20th century belief, that time is universal and just runs no matter what. We thought that until modern physics showed us differently.

..another "physics"? :)

Yes in the multiverse theory it's possible there are other big bangs that create different laws of physics.

..so it is a "mystery".
Eternity is also a "mystery" .. and yet it is not hard to visualise.

Eternity isn't a defined thing, it has different meanings.

Eternity, in common parlance, means infinite time that never ends or the quality, condition, or fact of being everlasting or eternal.[1] Classical philosophy, however, defines eternity as what is timeless or exists outside time, whereas sempiternity corresponds to infinite duration.

If something exists outside time then our science would say it experiences no time. No experience, moments, causality, thoughts, no time, no change.

Of course these concepts about outside of the universe are a mystery because it's unknown it such a thing even exists or what type of conditions would exist?

joelr

But I don't. I allow the evidence to demonstrate. I recently studied Hinduism without preconceived notions. I was hoping they could provide evidence of a soul or existence after death.

You might not be consciously doing it, but as you seem pretty convinced that Abrahamic religion is all stories and passed down from one tradition to another and what not, it is easy to enforce that belief with your walls of text.

The quickest way to lose a debate is to pretend to know what someone else is thinking.
ALL of the evidence about Abrahamic stories are that they are myths taken from other cultures, as are ALL religions and myths.
ALL historical scholarship DOES ENFORCE that belief because that's ALL THERE IS.

I study theologians or NT scholars and they start out with a fallacy (the stories are true) and continue on with fallacy after fallacy? You know this. If you read a Christian theologian, or a Mormon, JW, 7th Day Adventist, you would agree because they all support the trinity and that Jesus is God and literally resurrected AND only through belief in him can enter heaven.
Same with Hindu theology, and as we have seen, Bahai theology. They all start out with "our stories are the true word of God....."
So that is useless cognitive bias.
Historical scholars and archaeologists just work with evidence.

I am now listening to Dr Mason on 2nd generation Christians and he goes over some of the detailed methodology of how they know which gospel influenced other gospels and it's extremely detailed. He has evidence, facts and supports his arguments with logic you can follow and see for yourself.

All of these experts, over and over, from their lifes work research, support the same conclusions.
There are no scholars in the historicity field who disagree. Theologians who don't study history will disagree without evidence because it conflicts with their beliefs. Exactly like what's happening in this thread.

Why can you not discuss one thing at a time?

What the F%^* are you talking about? I answer each question appropriately? Sometimes I back up a post with a source or two. which is a proper way to debate. Your flip-flopping every time you get backed into a corner is getting obnoxious.

What is the need to flood posts with assertions by cherry-picked scholars?

This is another strawman used several time in these recent posts.
These are not cherry-picked scholars. All scholars in historical fields say scripture is re-worked Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Babylonian myths and later Greek, Persian, Roman myths. That's it.

Here is an interview with scholar Ben Stanhope who studies the Egyptian connections to Yahweh and Israels Kings but at 43:45 he is asked about the Mesopotamian connection and he says the OT is "super-Mesopotamian in style and language" regarding the myths in Genesis. These ideas are known by all scholars in the field, no one ever is like "no it's all from Yahweh". That is pretend make-believe fantasy.

43:45

I don't constantly bring Islamic scholars, with their understanding of history, into the debate .. I use my own thoughts on the topic.

First your own thoughts may be clouded by confirmation bias, lack of education, bias towards a religion.
My thoughts may have bias as well. I am interested in evidence. Is the material syncretic? What is the evidence, what can be supported by evidence, what is suggested by basic non-bias rational thinking? When one tries to make counsulting scholarship a bad thing it's cult-like behavior. If we were talking science or health and someone was like "don't listen to all these scholars" go by your feelings, they would be a crank.

BTW, there are no Islamic scholars who do historical-critical scholarship on the Quran. If one said the Quran may have had pre-cursor copies found, test runs, he would face serious issues. It is not allowed in any Islamic nation. Even the Islamic cartoon drawings with political humor in the caption 20 years ago were met with threats.

As I pointed out, Islam has not accepted historical work yet, just like Christians before 1940 would not. The theologians (like Christian theologians, Hindu , Sikh, whomever, start with the assumption their scripture is true and go from there. Well since it says Jesus did miracles.....He must be divine, IT SAYS SO, end of argument.

A priest Raymond Brown was the first to apply real historical methods to scripture and noticed it didn't actually say Jesus was God. He later changed his mind, possibly due to influence or was talked into believeing his interpretations of some passages was wrong. He was just the first. Eventually secular scholars were able to deal only with evidence and not claims.

"Brown was one of the first Catholic scholars in the United States to use the historical-critical method to study the Bible.[5]

In 1943, reversing the approach that had existed since Pope Leo XIII's encyclical Providentissimus Deus fifty years earlier, Pope Pius XII's encyclical Divino afflante Spiritu expressed approval of historical-critical methods.[6] For Brown, this was a "Magna Carta for biblical progress."[7] In 1965, at the Second Vatican Council, the Church moved further in this direction, adopting the Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation Dei verbum, instead of the conservative schema "On the Sources of Revelation" that originally had been submitted. While it stated that Scripture teaches "solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings for the sake of salvation,"[8] Brown points out the ambiguity of this statement, which opened the way for a new interpretation of inerrancy by shifting from a literal interpretation of the text towards a focus on "the extent to which it conforms to the salvific purpose of God." He saw this as the Church "turning the corner" on inerrancy: "the Roman Catholic Church does not change her official stance in a blunt way. Past statements are not rejected but are requoted with praise and then reinterpreted at the same time. ... What was really going on was an attempt gracefully to retain what was salvageable from the past and to move in a new direction at the same time."[9]

New Testament Christology[edit]
In a detailed 1965 article in the journal Theological Studies examining whether Jesus was ever called "God" in the New Testament, Brown concluded that "Even the fourth Gospel never portrays Jesus as saying specifically that he is God" and "there is no reason to think that Jesus was called God in the earliest layers of New Testament tradition." He argued that "Gradually, in the development of Christian thought God was understood to be a broader term. It was seen that God had revealed so much of Himself in Jesus that God had to be able to include both Father and Son."[10]

Thirty years later, Brown revisited the issue in an introductory text for the general public, writing that in "three reasonably clear instances in the NT (Hebrews 1:8–9, John 1:1, 20:28) and in five instances that have probability, Jesus is called God," a usage Brown regarded as a natural development of early references to Jesus as "Lord".[11]

See now this is what I was talking about, they accept Yahweh wanted the gospels that were picked because those were the correct versions he wanted. But with revelations and claims all is fair. If one guy can say an angel told him them priests can say God wanted it this way. Because they just know.
When you don't have standards of evidence everyone gets a pass to claim their stuff is what God wants.
"While it stated that Scripture teaches "solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings for the sake of salvation,"

blah blah......not evidence.

You wouldn't want to know.. ;)

Right. Whatever. You either prove something with good evidence or it cannot be proven. Supernatural things have never ben shown to exist so until they are it's all make believe.

I have, and you ignore it with the same old "no evidence of gods"..

Oh, yeah that isn't evidence., Your beliefs in magic isn't evidence of magic.
You outright reject the Bahai prophet. Yet millions believe. You reject Jw, Mormonism, Hinduism. By this standard there is plenty of evidence. People say so. "God" says so.
That isn't evidence, and you know it. You also don't believe it for one second.

So don't now pretend like you get to make the same claims and that is evidence when it's your beliefs. It is not. At this point you may understand what constitutes proper evidence so I don't know why would would make this statement?

We have been here and are going around in circles now.

Gods are in stories. So is Gandolf. So is Sauron. No matter how hard someone believes in Sauron or how many or how much scripture someone writes and says "Sauron dictated this to me", it's not evidence. Not until Sauron shows up and can be investigated under lab settings (maybe Sauron can communicate with every human at once telepathically and answer cosmic mysteries and explain science to scientists and is always correct) or dictates something so incredible, a cure for cancer, a stop to human aging, would it even be considered.
Even then it would have to be determined if the Sauron prophet wasn't just a genius who figured out a cure for cancer and aging and decided to play a joke on humanity. Rational skepticism.

Last edited:

joelr

No, He didn't..
Orthodox Jews believe in a life after death.
It is all about interpretation.

In the time of Jesus, there were Pharisees and Sadducees
Sadducees did not believe in a life after death, while Pharisees did.
They both followed the OT.

Watch the lecture please. You really need some learning.

They didn't believe in going to heaven, Jews hung around in sleep at Sheol and Satan was not a devil. Hell did not exist.

Hell, Heaven and the devil came from Persian myths and were around during the time of Jesus because they came from the 2nd Temple Period, 500-300 BCE.

In the NT Jesus represents the Pharisees view.

Some Sadducees actually do believe in an afterlife, it's the one explained in the video where you go to Sheol. Some are more secular. They seem to believe in Yahweh. Like the lecture says this was early Judaism. Later it was influenced by Greek and Persian beliefs and the Sadducees knew this and didn't want anything to do with it.
So it backs up the lecture perfectly.

What they didn't know is the OT is also a myth and so is the soul.