• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
But you by self admission are not enlightened, so anything and everything you say about the subject is second hand claims, Now do it yourself or forever hold your peace.

And you are also not enlightened. So your statements are equally invalid. You might take your own advice.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
And you continue playing the silly game of intellectual dishonesty and borderline ad hominem "argumentation" instead of actually addressing the points raised head-on.
This does not reflect good on you or your case.

Oh well.

Here, have an appropriate trophy:

View attachment 75915
Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking, I am honored to receive your trophy, it will go on the shelf next to my picture of Roy Rogers's horse.
Thank you Spag ;)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Realizations can be wrong.

No, I do not 'mistake' it. I believe it.

So you also, have not had the experiences you talk about. So you are also not an authority.
No, but there is more to it,

Believing is a mistake in the sense that it is not the reality represented by the belief.

There is ego memory, but the ego did not have the experience.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Yet again: many people claim 'spiritual realisation', 'revelation' and so on, but they contradict each other, so, even if we're generous and concede that it might offer some access to truth, it is clearly very unreliable.

Cue more running away...
But you by self admission are not enlightened, so anything and everything you say about the subject is second hand claims, Now do it yourself or forever hold your peace.
I am a true prophet!

All you're doing is just dismissing everybody else's 'realisations' if they don't agree with yours. Your own experiences seem to have been elevated in your own mind to arbiters of absolute truth. The arrogance and irrationality are staggering.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Sorry, I had to go back and find where I said it, and it was definitely an inappropriate, I meant unenlightened. My apologies.

Well, here is the joke about that. The rest of us as unenlightened are still, Oneness, but Twoness or we are not real there and it is all happening in your mind, because you are not really experiencing this post. So ither your model is absurd and it is all in your mind OR it is too simple.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I am a true prophet!

All you're doing is just dismissing everybody else's 'realisations' if they don't agree with yours. Your own experiences seem to have been elevated in your own mind to arbiters of absolute truth. The arrogance and irrationality are staggering.
Allah hu akbar!

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Well, here is the joke about that. The rest of us as unenlightened are still, Oneness, but Twoness or we are not real there and it is all happening in your mind, because you are not really experiencing this post. So ither your model is absurd and it is all in your mind OR it is too simple.
There is no duality in the still mind state, there are no mental conceptions, no mental models, no personal mental experiences, just pure transcendent awareness.

Stop thinking about it, it can't be realized in all eternity by the thinking mind,

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, but there is more to it,

Believing is a mistake in the sense that it is not the reality represented by the belief.
Yes, yes. Belief is a personal thing and the translation from reality to belief is imperfect.

Now can you get away from trivial philosophy?
There is ego memory, but the ego did not have the experience.

So, again, you are not an authority. You have a memory of an experience, but that is all you have.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no duality in the still mind state, there are no mental conceptions, no mental models, no personal mental experiences, just pure transcendent awareness.
I understand the claim. And I find that state to be an undesirable one. It fails to provide reliable results and so counts as self delusion.
Stop thinking about it, it can't be realized in all eternity by the thinking mind,

yes, there are so many truths you can get if you simply stop thinking......

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yeah just do that for all of the everyday world and answer that way for your answer here. Then I will listen.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I understand the claim. And I find that state to be an undesirable one. It fails to provide reliable results and so counts as self delusion.

yes, there are so many truths you can get if you simply stop thinking......

The problem is that it can actually work. I have met one Buddhist, who didn't confuse the 2. But I have also met those, who start acting as The Truth.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is that it can actually work. I have met one Buddhist, who didn't confuse the 2. But I have also met those, who start acting as The Truth.

Of the great religions, I find Buddhism most conducive to my way of thinking. At least, the Theravada version. Mahayana is not so wonderful, in my view.

That said, when I visited a Buddhist shrine in China, it was one of the most peaceful places I have been.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Of the great religions, I find Buddhism most conducive to my way of thinking. At least, the Theravada version. Mahayana is not so wonderful, in my view.

That said, when I visited a Buddhist shrine in China, it was one of the most peaceful places I have been.

Well, I am to scatter brained to do that. So I find nice in the absurd as a skeptic. Yeah, I know. ;)

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Alternatively, we are ALL enlightened, but just don't realize it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Alternatively, we are ALL enlightened, but just don't realize it.

Well, years ago among on a rather intelligent forum I was among the runner ups for both most rational and most irrational. I learned a lot from that. So as a joke about enlightened. I am not that, but I capable of telling you, that I am not that. That is as close as I can get as a skeptic.

Zwing

The important point is that its predictions match reality.
Yes, and when a Physicist says, “after x amount of time has elapsed”, he is really saying, “after this succession of events has occurred”, which, after all, even he might not realize.