• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, and when a Physicist says, “after x amount of time has elapsed”, he is really saying, “after this succession of events has occurred”, which, after all, even he might not realize.

No, that is NOT what (s)he is really saying. (S)he is saying that at a different time slice of spacetime, some event occurs.

Zwing

four dimensional spacetime.
This seems to be nonsense outside the realm of theory. “Space” is dimensional and “time” is temporal. Please draw me a graph showing time as a physical property. “Spacetime” is a theoretical concept which helps to explain certain phenomena; it is not a physical reality.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
This seems to be nonsense outside the realm of theory. “Space” is dimensional and “time” is temporal. Please draw me a graph showing time as a physical property. “Spacetime” is a theoretical concept which helps to explain certain phenomena; it is not a physical reality.

There is no physical reality. That is an idea just like God. You can't point to any of them. It is in your mind.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

To 'draw a graph' limits the dimensionality of the picture. How would I draw a graph of any four dimensional thing?

Perhaps we have different definitions of the notion of 'physical reality'. Could you explain yours? For mine, the fact that it is able to explain many phenomena is part of what makes it a 'physical phenomenon'.

Zwing

It's perfectly possible to build mathematical models of a universe with the math being perfectly valid and theoretically congruent, while actually describing a non-existing universe (or a universe that isn't our universe).
Right!
It is an objective truth that there are successions of events in the universe.
Exactly.
This means that the flow of time within said universe is an objective truth.
No. It means that there has been a succession of events. There is no reality which has been “moved along”, as if upon a track. Time is merely a convenience to measure event series and to recognize causation.
If it wasn't, there would be no succession of events, 1 happening after the other.
Haha, the succession of events is not at all dependent upon some imaginary “thread” (or, whatever other metaphor pleases you). It, or rather they, are merely dependent upon causation.

I would suggest a perusal of McTaggart’s work on time. He was a bright fellow, and his thoughts have stood the test of time.

Zwing

Bare assertion.
As is the assertion that there is a thing in the universe called “time”. It works theoretically, but so doesn’t the argument 0.999…=1, which is obviously invalid. This type of disagreement highlights the distinction between theory and fact. Theories are based upon all types of premises, and the invalidity of some of those is ignored by mathematicians and scientists if their contribution supports the theoretical framework in question. Not saying that is a bad thing… it is useful, but we are behooved to be mindful of the inconsistencies which exist.

ratiocinator

Time is merely a convenience to measure event series and to recognize causation.
You do like bare, unevidenced, and unargued assertions, don't you? Do you really think they are convincing? I mean, have you ever made such an assertion and had somebody just say something like "oh well, if you say so, it must be true"?

You are putting these assertions up against a model that has made endless exact, numerical predictions that have been shown to be accurate in every single way in which we have been able to test them.

I don't think there is much contest as to which is more likely to be a more accurate representation of reality.

ratiocinator

As is the assertion that there is a thing in the universe called “time”.
It isn't a bare assertion, it is backed up by evidence.

It works theoretically, but so doesn’t the argument 0.999…=1, which is obviously invalid.
No it isn't. It's entirely accurate. It's a consequence of the notation we use for real numbers.

...but we are behooved to be mindful of the inconsistencies which exist.
You haven't shown that there are any. You have just made a whole lot of baseless assertions.

Zwing

To 'draw a graph' limits the dimensionality of the picture. How would I draw a graph of any four dimensional thing?
This hints at what I am saying. “Space” and “time” are quale of an utterly different nature. They may have a relation, but cannot be said to be constituents of any real thing in nature.

ratiocinator

I have provided a link.
Yes. It was evidence-free philosophy. Basically, just somebody's opinion. I don't regard that as being in the least bit comparable with a well tested formalised theory. There is simply no contest. If somebody's opinion is at odds with tested science, it's just too bad for the opinion.

ratiocinator

This hints at what I am saying. “Space” and “time” are quale of an utterly different nature.
That is how they are represented in minds. That does not necessarily tell you everything about what is out in reality.

They may have a relation, but cannot be said to be constituents of any real thing in nature.
Another bare assertion. You can't put up the way things appear to be to us against a well tested theory. You're doing something similar to insisting that the colours we see are really 'out there' in reality, rather than being an artefact of the way we sense various frequencies of light and combinations of said frequencies.

Zwing

I don't regard that as being in the least bit comparable with a well tested formalised theory.
Theoretical models, of which “spacetime” is an example, do not always provide solid epistemological grounds for understanding reality because they often include faulty premises.