• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
…but is not expected to always exist, in this view ?
It depends on what you mean and there are still unknowns to deal with. It seems as if the expansion of space is accelerating, so it's unlikely the universe will collapse into a 'big crunch'. Stars, galaxies and so on will not exist forever, so the far future universe may be a very boring place. However, unless you define the universe in terms of those things (stars, galaxies, etc.) then it probably will always exist.

Zwing

Stars, galaxies and so on will not exist forever, so the far future universe may be a very boring place.
I remember Neil deGrasse Tyson (hope I rendered that correctly) giving a talk about how black holes will consume everything, even each other, until…
However, unless you define the universe in terms of those things (stars, galaxies, etc.) then it probably will always exist.
How else is there to define the universe, other than by the objects which constitute it?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I remember Neil deGrasse Tyson (hope I rendered that correctly) giving a talk about how black holes will consume everything, even each other, until…
...they eventually decay via Hawking radiation.

How else is there to define the universe, other than by the objects which constitute it?
But there will still be stuff in it, just not the same sort of stuff we have now. As I said, it depends how you want to define your terms. I'd tend to go with the universe carrying on as long as time does, with could be infinitely.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I copied and pasted it directly.

Gravity is space-time curvature (according to current science; general relativity). In what way is that not physical?

Yes, OK definition of gravity, Like continuous time I consider gravity an attribute of the physical of our universe. Both are not observed at the Quantum smallest scale. By physical I am referring to physical things and objects.
Which brings us back to what current scientific theories (not hypotheses of conjecture, which aren't current physics) you are getting this from?

I mean that continuous space and time are assumed and appear in the equations. There is no quantisation of space and time in standard QM or (to the best of my knowledge) in QFT, which uses special relativity.

You mean?!?!? Continuous time and space, and gravity are a properties of universe at the largest scale, and NOT at the smallest Quantum scale. Hawking proposes Quantum gravity, but so far nothing found.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, so what is the instrument that measures the velocity of a particle, and what is the significance of determining the time of decay in the context of time being a concept to represent the continuity of existence?

Usually, the energy is measured, which gives the velocity. The energy is measured by thermal properties.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's beyond the ken of some to understand, know, or conjecture that something can come from -- nothing. But then some people are so bright and intelligent that they figured it out. Maybe. So they say.

There is simply no evidence that anything comes from absolute nothing.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Space!
Space is 3D existence that is never empty.

You can say the same about time.

Spacetime is real. There is no entity called time existing independent of space, nor any space existing independent of time.
OK, this is much closer to the truth. Both space and time are our coordinate system. The geometry of spacetime, though, is independent of what coordinate system we assign.

Sort of like how latitude and longitude are conventions, but the sphericity of the Earth is not.

We Never Know

No Slack
No.

In order for something to poof into existance it had to not exist before. If there was no before, there wasn't any 'poofing into existence'. The universe has existed at all times (this is a truism really, as time is part of the universe).

See above. It has always existed regardless of whether time started at the BB. There are no points in time at which it didn't exist.

"In order for something to poof into existance it had to not exist before."

Exactly!! Either the universe always existed or it poofed into existence.

We Never Know

No Slack
It is possible to have existed for all time and still not have existed for an infinite amount of time. In that case, it has always existed, but did not poof.

If it didn't always exist, then it came into existance by whatever, it poofed into existence.
It wasn't then it was.