• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
A singularity is something that happens to the equations. Hardly any cosmologists think it is a real, physical thing. It's more an indication that the theory is no longer applicable and we need a combined theory of GR and QFT.

Your misssing a key part of my statement. I said 'most likely,' and concerning the 'possibility' of a cyclic universe. There is also the 'possibility' of a multiverse.

You clearly have over stated my posts. Your source for the most part reflects my view, but your combative approach to dialogue is just static.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
It's what GR by itself implies. However, we know that time isn't the unchanging Newtonian version, so a start of time is quite possible in other models. There are also hypotheses that have time going forward in both directions from the BB, so there still wouldn't really be a 'before' because if you try to track time backwards, you'd end up going forwards again.

You just need to let go of intuition and Newton.

I want to be clear here... are you saying it had a beginning?

If you want to write a two paragraph reply that's fine. As long as you answer this one question. "are you saying it had a beginning?"

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I want to be clear here... are you saying it had a beginning?

If you want to write a two paragraph reply that's fine. As long as you answer this one question. "are you saying it had a beginning?"

What, precisely, do you mean by 'had a beginning'? The answer to your question depends on what you mean by the question.

RestlessSoul

That is an ambiguous question. Specify precisely what you mean when you say something 'begins' or 'started'.

If something is, but once was not, it is reasonable to assume that thing had a beginning. If it always was, and always will be, we enter the realm of infinity and eternity. But since neither infinity nor eternity have ever been witnessed, except as abstract concepts, isn't it reasonable to assume that everything we observe in nature had a beginning?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If something is, but once was not, it is reasonable to assume that it had a beginning. If it always was, and always will be, we enter the realm of infinity and eternity. But since neither infinity nor eternity have ever been witnessed, except as abstract concepts, isn't it reasonable to assume that everything we observe in nature had a beginning?

there was never a point where it was not.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If something is, but once was not, it is reasonable to assume that it had a beginning. If it always was, and always will be, we enter the realm of infinity and eternity. But since neither infinity nor eternity have ever been witnessed, except as abstract concepts, isn't it reasonable to assume that everything we observe in nature had a beginning?
Even if that was reasonable, that would not entail that the container of those things, the entire Universe, would have a beginning, too. If all balls in a container are red, that does not entail that the container is red. Same with beginnings.

ciao

- viole

We Never Know

No Slack
More precisely, to 'have a beginning' in this context simply means that time only goes finitely far into the past.

Which is what you claim, believe, etc.

So...
It wasn't. (Referring to nonexistent time, space, the universe, etc)

Then it was. (referring to post big bang existence of time, space, the universe, etc.

It poofed. I rest my case.