• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
The singularity most likely existed before the big bang or our universe is possible cyclic and a previous universe possibly existed. It is possible that our singularity formed from black holes of the previous universe.
A singularity is something that happens to the equations. Hardly any cosmologists think it is a real, physical thing. It's more an indication that the theory is no longer applicable and we need a combined theory of GR and QFT.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
A singularity is something that happens to the equations. Hardly any cosmologists think it is a real, physical thing. It's more an indication that the theory is no longer applicable and we need a combined theory of GR and QFT.

Need is psychology. What you want, is that you want it but form that doesn't follow that you get it

We Never Know

No Slack

What makes you think there's a beginning?

Zwing

IE: "cats" don't exist. only collections of atoms exist and "cat" is an abstract concept referring to one specific way in which such atoms are collected.
Ah, yes! This is very true, and is the reason why I find myself interested in Advaita as the philosophical basis of religion, which is partly why I appear here in the first place. What you speak of is a different category of error. It involves a misperception of certain substantial things which exist, based upon the limitations of the physiology of human sense-perception. Both an apparently solid human being and a collection of atoms which are/is 99.9999996% empty space are real things having substance. The consideration of abstractions as being real, on the other hand, involves not a misperception, but rather a logical error which attributes reality to something merely conceived within the mind.

Zwing

A thing is an an utterly abstract entity, because you can't point to a thing. Nor can you point to existence. The same with existence of its own, that is the problem of "das Ding an sich". You are playing with different abstract concepts and declaring some relevant and other not so much. BTW I do that, I am just aware of it. Not that that makes it better.
My point is epistemological.
Fair enough. Attributing reality to an abstraction is an epistemologically based error. Attributing reality to a thing essentially real is not. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Fair enough. Attributing reality to an abstraction is an epistemologically based error. Attributing reality to a thing essentially real is not. ;)

Well, that depends on the epistemology in question. Personally I have never observed real, but you might be different, but then I am different, so is that real? ;)

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
What model makes you think there's a beginning?
It's what GR by itself implies. However, we know that time isn't the unchanging Newtonian version, so a start of time is quite possible in other models. There are also hypotheses that have time going forward in both directions from the BB, so there still wouldn't really be a 'before' because if you try to track time backwards, you'd end up going forwards again.

You just need to let go of intuition and Newton.