• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There was no 'before'.

All that exists, yes.

No, you are giving existence to the non-existent. It is NOT the case that there was a point *before* the BB. There was no 'then', which implies a progression. The universe of spacetime simply exists. No progression. Just existence. No t<0, only t>0.

Existence and non-existence is philosophy as abstract concept you can't measure in ether case with scientific instruments and you can't observe that.

We Never Know

No Slack
There was no 'before'.

All that exists, yes.

No, you are giving existence to the non-existent. It is NOT the case that there was a point *before* the BB. There was no 'then', which implies a progression. The universe of spacetime simply exists. No progression. Just existence. No t<0, only t>0.
That's your belief.
It didn't exist. It did exist. It poofed.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I hear what you’re saying, but the thing is, if that is true then “time” is an utterly abstract entity, and merely descriptive of other things which do exist while having no existence of its own. See what I mean?

You could say the same about literally everything.

IE: "cats" don't exist. only collections of atoms exist and "cat" is an abstract concept referring to one specific way in which such atoms are collected.

I don't see the point in such drivel.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That's your belief.
It didn't exist. It did exist. It poofed.
Not a belief.
Instead, a logical consequence of what we observe to be the case.

"Always" = a period of time. All of time, to be exact
Pick any point in time. There was a universe then.
At no point in time did the universe not exist.

Therefor, the universe has always existed.
There is no point in time when the universe did not exist.

If you think there was, then please point to that point in time when you think there was no universe.

We Never Know

No Slack
Not a belief.
Instead, a logical consequence of what we observe to be the case.

"Always" = a period of time. All of time, to be exact
Pick any point in time. There was a universe then.
At no point in time did the universe not exist.

Therefor, the universe has always existed.
There is no point in time when the universe did not exist.

If you think there was, then please point to that point in time when you think there was no universe.
How did the BB start?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes you did. You quoted only the very first sentence in my post and completely ignored the second sentence that says "No time, no universe because there was no pre correct?"

What existed before the BB?
-No time, no universe because there was no pre correct?
What existed after the BB?
-Time, the universe, etc. existed post BB correct?

It wasn't then it was is straight forward with the BB theory

What wasn't-Time, the universe, etc. No pre BB
Then what was-
Time, the universe etc.
Post BB
Don't use the word then.

Here's another way to think about it: *outside* of the universe there is no space or time.

Inside of the universe, there is space and time, but only time after a certain time.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
"If"

All you have to do is go all the way back and show your "if". But wait, you can't. Its a belief.
It wasn't. It was. It poofed.

No, there is no proof of that 'if'. And, in fact, that is part of the point: we don't know. But in our best description right now, there is no before the BB.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So you quote mine my post completely ignoring the second sentence thats says..

"What existed before the BB?
-No time, no universe because there was no pre correct"

Which already addressed your quote mine.

Once again, the answer to 'what existed before the BB?' is precisely the same as 'what exists south of the south pole?'
If you say so.... I'm the one stuck in a box :rolleyes:

Well, you seem to be caught in a loop by always asking what existed before the BB or saying there was nothing *then* there was something (do you not see that implies a progression in time?).

We Never Know

No Slack
Once again, the answer to 'what existed before the BB?' is precisely the same as 'what exists south of the south pole?'

Well, you seem to be caught in a loop by always asking what existed before the BB or saying there was nothing *then* there was something (do you not see that implies a progression in time?).

It didn't exist. Then it did.

Look at it this way....There was no expansion, then there was expansion. Even the BB model supports that.