• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
As far as I know, gravity operate at macro & massive scales. Massive body or massive object affect spacetime itself, causing curvature of spacetime.

Quantum Gravity is still at very “theoretical” hypothesis stage, yet to be tested, and definitely not an accepted “scientific theory”.

There are some theoretical physicists advocating and proposing gravity at quantum scale, but none of them have found accepted empirical solution(s) to QG...yet.
True, the problem is

continuous time/space and gravity at the Quantum scale.

On the macro scale continuous time/space and gravity go hand and hand in the macro universe as emergent proprtyies from the Quantum smallest scale.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
True, the problem is

continuous time/space and gravity at the Quantum scale.

On the macro scale continuous time/space and gravity go hand and hand in the macro universe as emergent proprtyies from the Quantum smallest scale.

OK give a reference for ANY accepted theory at the small scale. EVERYTHING at that level is speculative currently.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The earth is not hanging on nothing. In the same way a stone in a slingshot does not hang on nothing.

ciao

- viole
Some things do appear to hang in air. Magnetic suspension is such that objects can appear to "hang" or be suspended in air without resting on anything that can be seen by human eyes. I'm not going to argue over this -- I haven't seen the fields which suspend planets and stars and moons in space. But for that to be considered "nothing" is simply an expression and, as I said, you have your beliefs and I believe that it is a sound statement that the earth hangs on nothing. You have yours and I have mine. Take care and have a good one.

YoursTrue

Good for you. What is there to take care of? My views are different.
Take care is an expression many people use to say the person should be careful -- take care. In whatever life experience they may have. I appreciate that your views are different. I just don't happen to agree with them. Bye for now, maybe.

YoursTrue

Yeah proving evolution wrong doesn't advance any of the thousands of creation stories as being the default position. The Mesopotamian creation stories would not be true and Genesis is a re-write of those. Anti-evolution is more of a conspiracy theory, they are attacking abiogenesis, the first formation of life, because we don't have all the pieces yet. Still doesn't help apologists?
Birds and insects don't have creation stories that I know of. Do you know of any?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Regardless, it doesn't prove that something came out of nothing. Period.

Which is not the topic of discussion.

We *can* discuss this, but first I would need a good definition of what you mean by 'nothing' and also what you mean by the phrase 'came out of '.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Still waiting for any article claiming that discrete time/space are accepted science.

No, the particle in a box is a standard quantum mechanical exercise that applies to *any* particle. It isn't a matter of size.

It isn't at all clear what you are wanting.

Are you wanting a discussion of quantum gravity? If so, there is no accepted theory of such. Anything said about it will be pure speculation.

Now, it is YOUR turn. Give any article showing that discrete, quantized space and time is accepted science. AT this point, none of the articles you have given are relevant to that claim.
To add we can discuss Quantum gravity, but it is not the important question at hand. At present not known to exist unless we in the future find gravitons, I believe the existence of gravity is dependent on continuous time/space of our universe,

Articles reference in the whole thread were relevant to the question and you ignored them.

To avid distractions the main question remains Does continuous time/space at the Quantum scale. This is the question you ahve avoided providing any references to justify your perspective.

Still waiting . . .

We Never Know

No Slack
I see that you still do not know how that emoji works. You didn't notice by any chance who I was responding to, did you?

You responded to me with this in post #3665. So you were responding to me!

"But you refuse to ever take a rational approach to problems. You put your interpretation of the Bible first.

No, there are many religious people that can also reason rationally. But you refuse to ever take a rational approach to problems. You put your interpretation of the Bible first. Rational people realize that they can be wrong. If reality disagrees with their religious beliefs they take another look at them and see if perhaps their interpretation is in error. That is why most Christians accept the fact of evolution. They do not need the Adam and Eve myth to be a Christian.

One can reason rationally and still have a belief in God. I sometimes believe that those that insist on reasoning irrationally have a much weaker faith than they claim. Either God did it their way or he does not exist.

Crickets???

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Still waiting for any article claiming that discrete time/space are accepted science.

Missed this a bit back there. What do you mean by 'discrete time/space,' because this odd statement does not reflect anything I claimed.
No, the particle in a box is a standard quantum mechanical exercise that applies to *any* particle. It isn't a matter of size.

False, it refers to Quantum particles not any particle(?). Read the reference again.

In quantum mechanics, the particle in a box model (also known as the infinite potential well or the infinite square well) describes a particle free to move in a small space surrounded by impenetrable barriers. The model is mainly used as a hypothetical example to illustrate the differences between classical and quantum systems. In classical systems, for example, a particle trapped inside a large box can move at any speed within the box and it is no more likely to be found at one position than another. However, when the well becomes very narrow (on the scale of a few nanometers), quantum effects become important. The particle may only occupy certain positive energy levels. Likewise, it can never have zero energy, meaning that the particle can never "sit still". Additionally, it is more likely to be found at certain positions than at others, depending on its energy level. The particle may never be detected at certain positions, known as spatial nodes.

The particle in a box model is one of the very few problems in quantum mechanics which can be solved analytically, without approximations. Due to its simplicity, the model allows insight into quantum effects without the need for complicated mathematics. It serves as a simple illustration of how energy quantizations (energy levels), which are found in more complicated quantum systems such as atoms and molecules, come about. It is one of the first quantum mechanics problems taught in undergraduate physics courses, and it is commonly used as an approximation for more complicated quantum systems.

Are you wanting a discussion of quantum gravity? If so, there is no accepted theory of such. Anything said about it will be pure speculation.
Now, it is YOUR turn. Give any article showing that discrete, quantized space and time is accepted science. AT this point, none of the articles you have given are relevant to that claim.

No the above needs some explaining, because it does not reflect the reference to 'Particle in a box' and your statement concerning 'discrete time' is nonsense. the unanswered question needs to be addressed concerning the question of continuous time at the Quantum scale.

YoursTrue

Which is not the topic of discussion.

We *can* discuss this, but first I would need a good definition of what you mean by 'nothing' and also what you mean by the phrase 'came out of '.
If you can't figure such a simple 'thing,' once again, have a nice day I hope. The sky has been a beautiful color today. (Have a nice day...)

YoursTrue

And maybe there isn't No one alive knows.
Let me put it this way...in a trial, the evidence brought forth for the jury to see may not tell the truth as to telling the whole, real story and have the jury form a rightful verdict. In the case of those forming an opinion about God and which God is true, there are several factors involved.