• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Present Some Evidence ...

PureX

Veteran Member
Just look in your mirror. The reality of God is as plain as the nose on your face. Literally.

But I have evidence for the existence of God. It's not proof. It's not conclusive, but it is evidence.

Those 2 statements are contradictory. Both cannot be true. Either evidence is obvious and conclusive are it is not. The fact that this poster can hold both positions at once w/o any sense of the contradiction shows the depth of his analysis and the accuracy of his reasoning.:rolleyes:
LOL! I love contradictions. They're like road signs on the way to truth. You look at the mountain from this side, and it looks like a cone. You look at the mountain from that side, and it looks like a bear. Every way you look at it, it looks different. And this seems like a contradiction, but really it's not. It's all the same mountain. It's just our perspective that has changed.

That's why CONTEXT is so important in these kinds of discussions.

Last edited:

OmarKhayyam

LOL! I love contradictions. They're like road signs on the way to truth. You look at the mountain from this side, and it looks like a cone. You look at the mountain from that side, and it looks like a bear. Every way you look at it, it looks different. And this seems like a contradiction, but really it's not. It's all the same mountain. It's just our perspective that has changes.

That's why CONTEXT is so important in these kinds of discussions.

It is that kind of mindless sophistry that has EARNED you all those insults that have you so upset. It you reason like a sophist and post the results or your reasonings do not be either surprise or offended if others note you have less logic and reason for your ideas than a alchemist positing his formula for making lead into gold.

Less even. At least the alchemist begins with actual materials. You . . . :facepalm:

richardlowellt

What I meant by that post was that YOU are the reality of "God". You are the result of "God's thought and action" in that you are a result of what happened when the energy of the universe exploded into being.
[/QUOTE]We don't know that the universe exploded into being, it may have already existed and this was a local event in our particular universe, please refrain from stating your beliefs as factual. If what you say IS true then how do you know this hidden being is responsible? Could there not be other explanations? If your god was responsible, what reason did he have to "explode" this universe into being? Why at that moment in time? what was he doing before? How long did he wait before creating the universe, where did this being come from? I don't expect you to answer any of these questions they are unanswerable, as is the origin of the universes. "I believe god caused the explosion" thats fine for you, I make no such assumption based on so little information.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Evidence is anything that points at the truth of a thing. The truth of a thing can be assessed from the subjective perspective or from the objective perspective, but it's no less the truth of a thing (truth doesn't change in nature, regardless of perspective).

In most matters weight is given to the objective perspective so that we might all share in a truthful thing. Some truthful things don't have to be shared.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is that kind of mindless sophistry that has EARNED you all those insults that have you so upset. It you reason like a sophist and post the results or your reasonings do not be either surprise or offended if others note you have less logic and reason for your ideas than a alchemist positing his formula for making lead into gold.

Less even. At least the alchemist begins with actual materials. You . . . :facepalm:
Yeah, the thing is, though, this is no longer the nineteenth century, when people believed that they lived in an absolute mechanical universe, where a "contradiction" was the sign of wild-eyed irrationality, and a paradox was something the philosophers had to leave to the ascetics. This is the twenty first century, where science itself has led us into the realm of quantum weirdness, and relativity, and chaos theory, and where post-modern philosophies deconstruct themselves. Contradictions are just part of the formula, these days. Paradox is part of life. Absolutism has been mostly relegated to red-necked conservatives and religious nuts. So you'll pardon me if I don't get all upset by the idea that I might be contradicting myself. I live in the real world, where contradiction just means someone has changed the context.

PureX

Veteran Member
We don't know that the universe exploded into being, it may have already existed and this was a local event in our particular universe, ...
BEEEP, BEEEP, BEEEP! I SEE A CONTRADICTION HERE! *haha*
... please refrain from stating your beliefs as factual. If what you say IS true then how do you know this hidden being is responsible?
It IS true, because it's all HERE. And I didn't say that "God" was a "hidden being".
Could there not be other explanations?
But they would all be God's doing. "God" is the source and sustenance of all that exists.
If your god was responsible, what reason did he have to "explode" this universe into being?
I don't know. Is there some reason I should have been told?
Why at that moment in time?
There were no other moments in time. Time began with the Big Bang.
what was he doing before?
There was no "before". Time began with the Big Bang.
How long did he wait before creating the universe, ...
... where did this being come from?
There was no "being" before the Big Bang. The "Big Bang" was the beginning of all that exists.
I don't expect you to answer any of these questions they are unanswerable,...
All the more fun to answer them, then.
"I believe god caused the explosion" thats fine for you, I make no such assumption based on so little information.
I believe the explosion was God expressed.

Commoner

Headache

There was no "being" before the Big Bang. The "Big Bang" was the beginning of all that exists.

That's an interesting contradiction right there.

You seem to have more knowledge about this than science does today. Also interesting. Or are you maybe just speculating a tiny little bit? Huh?

PureX

Veteran Member
That's an interesting contradiction right there.

You seem to have more knowledge about this than science does today. Also interesting. Or are you maybe just speculating a tiny little bit? Huh?
Speculating and having a little fun, too.

Michel07

"All you believe in is your self and your own criteria of " evidence, common sense, lack of knowledge about blah blah blah..." So sorry if that's not good enough for me or billions of others. And no, mine are not word games"

You got a god?

Bring it around for a chat; settle this whole matter in a few questions.

Failing that . . . you got superstition. And the fact that you share that superstition with others speaks poorly for ALL of you.

You are comical if you think someone needs to produce God to you for God to exist. Methinks you take yourself way to seriously and your argument doesn't even begin to have any logic to it.

OmarKhayyam

You are comical if you think someone needs to produce God to you for God to exist. Methinks you take yourself way to seriously and your argument doesn't even begin to have any logic to it.

You got a god or evidence that your favorite invisible fairy god-father exits - produce it.

Otherwise you got nothing but wishful thinking and childish hope.:(

themadhair

Nothing is being misrepresented. You just refuse to accept anything that could prove your narrow minded view of existence is incorrect. The amount of insults you have thrown around is proof of that, because you cannot provide counter arguments other than and I quote "your an idiot". Excellent way to debate a subject.
The irony that it was PureX who used the term idiot, and the irony that I referenced his use of the term ‘idiot’ and the irony that you berated me for it. Unbelievable.

Michel07

You got a god or evidence that your favorite invisible fairy god-father exits - produce it.

My statement stands again. You see while yours is not a neutral position you have nothing but ridicule to back yourself up. Oh and you could brush up on your grammer as well.

Beaudreaux

The problem with your analogy is that you have tests that show that there is no streptococus bacteria in your throat. That IS evidence. It's evidence because there is a finite search area, and a specific item to search for. The search was done and a conclusion was rendered. In the theological debate regarding the existence of God, the search area is far beyond our reach, and the item being searched for is not specified. As a result, no search can be done, and so no evidence whatever exists.

No evidence is no evidence.
Are you saying that there IS evidence out there that we haven't found yet because the universe is so big?

OmarKhayyam

My statement stands again. You see while yours is not a neutral position you have nothing but ridicule to back yourself up. Oh and you could brush up on your grammer as well.

Really? Assuming you meant "grammar" perhaps you could be more specific. Course if you really DID mean "grammer" . . . :thud:

Then there is the 3rd possibility. You meant neither and do not, in fact, know WHAT you mean. I'm thinking the latter. But do feel free to correct me.;)

OmarKhayyam

Ah! I just noticed. Our learned and devout poster is quite correct.

The statement includes the incorrect use of "exits". My error.:foot: The correct word is "exists." Very careless of me. A thousand apologies for my clumsy oversight.:sorry1:

Now, you got any evidence - or not?