• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!

genypher

Hmmm... what is the definition of Christian, then? If we have such specific ideas regarding the politics to which a Christian must adhere, surely you have a solid definition of Christian.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
We need better definitions in general. We need to define "liberal" and "Christian."

I have a bit of a problem with the example of "military intelligence" being an oxymoron. The military itself is bureaucratic - ummm, kind of like our federal government, our public school system, and a host of other ginormous institutions I can think of, but...our military has on it's payroll many fine individuals who are both intelligent and honorable, and who lead their troops in an exemplary manner.

I thank God for our men and women in uniform every day. They deserve our respect and support.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We need better definitions in general. We need to define "liberal" and "Christian."
I agree.

I have a bit of a problem with the example of "military intelligence" being an oxymoron. The military itself is bureaucratic - ummm, kind of like our federal government, our public school system, and a host of other ginormous institutions I can think of, but...our military has on it's payroll many fine individuals who are both intelligent and honorable, and who lead their troops in an exemplary manner.

I thank God for our men and women in uniform every day. They deserve our respect and support.
I've always taken that joke to be about the intelligence of the military, not the intelligence of soldiers. Like how they say that a committee is the only entity in existence with ten mouths and no brain - it's more about the process than the people tied up in it. :)

OmarKhayyam

""Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!"

For many yes that IS a conflict in terms. One can be a political and theological liberal.

One can be a believing and god-fearing Christian.

One CANNOT be both.

Christian Pilgrim

Just like "military intelligence", "Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!

I believe Liberal Christianity has nothing to do with politics. It is defined by theology which is contrary to the gospel that Paul preached.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again."—C. H. Spurgeon[/FONT]​

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
oxymoron-781368.jpg

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
""Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!"

For many yes that IS a conflict in terms. One can be a political and theological liberal.

One can be a believing and god-fearing Christian.

One CANNOT be both.
:foot: Oh? Really! I guess I don't exist, then. I am both politically and theologically liberal. I also am a believer and a God-fearing Christian.

A

angellous_evangellous

:foot: Oh? Really! I guess I don't exist, then. I am both politically and theologically liberal. I also am a believer and a God-fearing Christian.

While the conservatives urinate on the words of Christ, particularly when it comes to their persistent support of killing children and eating them as they have been doing for the past few years in Iraq. If their blood lust cannot be quenched in Iraq, there's always Iran and China. Enough to go 'round a few times.

Yes, turn that other cheek and put a war-mongering rat in the white house.

sojourner

I believe Liberal Christianity has nothing to do with politics. It is defined by theology which is contrary to the gospel that Paul preached.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again."—C. H. Spurgeon[/FONT]​
But Paul's theology was extremely liberal for its day, and in the culture in which he wrote.
Jesus was liberal too.:cool:

Calvin? Augustine? Both believed in the total depravity of the human being. Yet Pelagius, who stood in opposition to Augustine, pointed out that we are created good -- that our essential goodness is "covered up" by the evil we perpetrate. I believe he was correct. Christ said that the kingdom has come near. All we have to do to claim it is to "turn." That, in itself is a pretty liberal statement to make. It also shows that evil is just a facade.

sojourner

Can someone be theologically Biblical, and politically Biblical? God is not a Republican!
Can't be politically Biblical? What about Kennedy, Dobson, and others who run rampant, telling us to pass legislation against homosexuality and a woman's right to choose, and who insist on "reclaiming America for Christ?" Seems pretty "politically Biblical" to me!