• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!

Karl R

Just like "military intelligence", "Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!
I'll bite on this one as well.

Definition (paraphrased from wiki): For a liberal christian, the bible is not considered a collection of factual statements but instead documents the human authors' beliefs and feelings about God at the time of its writing—within a historic/cultural context. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.

Liberal political views are referred to as the christian left.
Liberal social values are referred to as progressive christianity.

Examples:
As a liberal christian, I believe that the story of Noah and the Arc is a hebrew morality tale which was adopted from an older babylonian myth about a great flood.

As a liberal christian, I realize that the stories about the virgin birth may be part of a mythology that developed about Jesus after his life ... particularly given similarities between that and older stories of Krsna.

Funny, if I had to choose, I'd ay "conservative Christian" is the oxymoron.
I would agree. From reading the scriptures, it's obvious that Jesus' interpretations of old testament verses were very different from the traditional jewish doctrine. That makes him a theological liberal.

Furthermore, Jesus was a radical who spoke out against the existing laws of the Romans and the pharisees, so he was also a political leftist.

And in his blatant acceptance of the fishermen, tax collectors, prostitutes and other "lower" members of society, it's obvious that Jesus was a social progressive.

Jesus was an outspoken radical, not a staunch supporter of the conservative status quo.

One can be a political and theological liberal.
One can be a believing and god-fearing Christian.
One CANNOT be both.
According to "the great commandment", I am supposed to love god. Perhaps the real contradiction in terms is "god-fearing christian".

But the conservatives have a reason to fear the liberals. We have ways of making them think.

OmarKhayyam

"As a liberal Christian, I realize that the stories about the virgin birth may be part of a mythology that developed about Jesus after his life. . ."

One cannot be a Christian and consider anything associated with JC as revealed in the bible a "myth."

It is, of course, the whole 9 yds. But you can't make that assumption and be a "true believer."

Christian Pilgrim

"As a liberal Christian, I realize that the stories about the virgin birth may be part of a mythology that developed about Jesus after his life. . ."

One cannot be a Christian and consider anything associated with JC as revealed in the bible a "myth."

It is, of course, the whole 9 yds. But you can't make that assumption and be a "true believer."

I think it's all or none, right?

J Bryson

Again, you don't seem to believe anything that the Falwells and Robertsons of this world say, except when it comes to what makes a real Christian. At that point, you swallow their words hook, line, and sinker.

Christian Pilgrim

Again, you don't seem to believe anything that the Falwells and Robertsons of this world say, except when it comes to what makes a real Christian. At that point, you swallow their words hook, line, and sinker.

Oh, I believe that Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are true Christians. However, much of their beliefs go beyond Scripture, and are not necessarily Christian in more ways than one.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

There's a generalization if I ever heard one.
There's much mythic information in the Bible with regard to Jesus. Even some fundamentalists believe that!
How do you know what constitutes a "true believer?" And why is your definition any better than the Church's?
Get over yourself.

sojourner

D. James Kennedy was a PCA Calvinist. Now James Dobson has very unsound theology, so his views mean very little to me. But, I appreciate your comment. Maybe we are on the same side on this issue.
D. James Kennedy was a homophobic jerk with an overblown ego, who thought that America needed to be "reclaimed for Christ." What a joke!

OmarKhayyam

"D. James Kennedy was a homophobic jerk with an overblown ego, who thought that America needed to be "reclaimed for Christ." What a joke!"

Correction: What a devout and god-fearing Christian sharing the Gospel message of BOTH forgiveness and damnation.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Both liberal and conservative Christian would be an oxymoron, if you go by my belief system (politics and religion being incompatible). :)

sojourner

"D. James Kennedy was a homophobic jerk with an overblown ego, who thought that America needed to be "reclaimed for Christ." What a joke!"

Correction: What a devout and god-fearing Christian sharing the Gospel message of BOTH forgiveness and damnation.
You're sick. I hope this is tongue-in-cheek.

OmarKhayyam

"You're sick. I hope this is tongue-in-cheek."

No, not all, that IS the Gospel message. Has been for 2000 yrs.

Believe or burn. A choice offered in the best Don Corelene tradition.

"And ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father, and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, of whose Kingdom there shall be no end."