• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Life is going great, so I became religious."

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Life is going great, so I became religious." Do you ever hear someone making that claim? You often hear of people becoming more religious, turning to religion, when the going gets tough. This is often a reason for someone becoming religious in the first place-- God got them through that tough spot.

But it just struck me the other day. You don't often hear of people turning to God when life is good. Why do you think that is?

Perhaps faith is a coping mechanism.

MSI64

Have found/re found my faith lately. Not a born again christian but I do know someone is watching me and keeping me safe

chinu

chinu
"Life is going great, so I became religious." Do you ever hear someone making that claim? You often hear of people becoming more religious, turning to religion, when the going gets tough. This is often a reason for someone becoming religious in the first place-- God got them through that tough spot.

But it just struck me the other day. You don't often hear of people turning to God when life is good. Why do you think that is?
When people become religious when life is going great -- Its unconditional love.
When people become religious when the going gets tough -- Its conditional love.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I think that people tend to attribute good fortune to their own merit, but attribute bad fortune to external forces and agents. There's no point in thanking someone else for something you did, but another external force (e.g. a god) might be able to do something about those ones that are at the root of your problems.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Eh for what its worth, my kife is going pretty good. I got into job corps, I found out I am ahead and may skip remidial classes and just take GED test (if I pass practice one). My home life is great, for most part drama free. Reconected with my father.

Yeah I fell the best I have in awhile. But I am having faith problems.

So maybe I am a martian :shrug:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Maybe because they still have a belief in materialism. Jesus implied it would be difficult for the rich to enter heaven. When one doesn't have much, it's a lot easier to give it up.

Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Maybe because they still have a belief in materialism. Jesus implied it would be difficult for the rich to enter heaven. When one doesn't have much, it's a lot easier to give it up.

Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Good answer!

idav

Being
Premium Member

I hear people giving thanks all the time. I've always learned that it is best to be thankful for your gifts even before god even gives them to you. Not everyone treats god like a lawyer but it is common.

connermt

When things go "south", and you can turn to someone/thing that will "help" you by mysterious means with little to no interaction on your part, why wouldn't you?
If your life gets better, then "there's a god". If it doesn't, then there's either no god or god was trying to teach a lesson.
The point is making things up is easy. Following the rules of something made up is easier still. People are typically lazy and want their lives to be ran by someone/thing else while they watch from the sidelines.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think that people tend to attribute good fortune to their own merit, but attribute bad fortune to external forces and agents. There's no point in thanking someone else for something you did, but another external force (e.g. a god) might be able to do something about those ones that are at the root of your problems.
That's an answer I didn't think of, but sounds credible. Now, if someone is already religious he will probably be more inclined to attribute his good fortune to his religion. But if the person heretofor had no reason to believe that God or activity in a religion affected his life, he'd be more likely to congratulate himself instead.

~~~~
My general thoughts were that in times of hardship, we are looking for a way out-- we are looking for assistance to get out of the mire, or a way to do things differently since the way we are currently doing them isn't working. Religion is one of those different ways-- as well as something that offers a support group in both God and other members-- that could look like a way up and out. If things are generally going well, we aren't actively searching for a new way of doing things, or outside assistance, since what we are doing is working.

Of course, once you are inside the religion, you tend to encorporate it into both the good and bad times.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's an answer I didn't think of, but sounds credible. Now, if someone is already religious he will probably be more inclined to attribute his good fortune to his religion. But if the person heretofor had no reason to believe that God or activity in a religion affected his life, he'd be more likely to congratulate himself instead.
I think it's a similar effect to what we see in the politics of social assistance programs: when a person is successful, there's a tendency to attribute success to his or her own personal attributes: hard work, skill, intelligence, etc. (with the implication being that people who are forced onto programs like welfare are deficient in some way). OTOH, when a person is unsuccessful, there's a tendency to attribute this to bad luck or other things beyond the person's control, not personal failings.

Many people tend to overrate their own merits; it's why, when you do self-assessment surveys, everyone has above average intelligence and driving abilities. :D When we look at the world through this lens, we're more apt to attribute negative events to outside causes than positive events.

My general thoughts were that in times of hardship, we are looking for a way out-- we are looking for assistance to get out of the mire, or a way to do things differently since the way we are currently doing them isn't working. Religion is one of those different ways-- as well as something that offers a support group in both God and other members-- that could look like a way up and out. If things are generally going well, we aren't actively searching for a new way of doing things, or outside assistance, since what we are doing is working.
Yeah... good point. A person doesn't need help to stay exactly where they are. :)

Of course, once you are inside the religion, you tend to encorporate it into both the good and bad times.
Seems that way.

Blackdog22

Yeah, the Bible is full of support for people going through a hard time. It talks of the wealthy here being the poor in the afterlife and the first being last.

Basically if your life sucks now I got a belief that'll cheer you up!

It also has a passage dealing directly with people that are prosperous saying, "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

So yeah, the bible is full of stuff to make people going through hard times feel good and seems to realize that people that are well off wouldn't adhere to it quite as strongly(as indicated by its scorning of wealthy people). There are more poor people than rich people after all so it was a solid strategy. Although, not a true one imo. Truth doesn't need strategy, it just is.

lunamoth

Will to love

My life was going great when I 'become religious.' I was at the top of my career, great marriage, great home, but still felt that I was called to something more. Since returning to faith the other parts of my life have continued to be fulfilled, but I also feel like I have addressed a spiritual need and calling that was previously neglected.

Blackdog22

My life was going great when I 'become religious.' I was at the top of my career, great marriage, great home, but still felt that I was called to something more. Since returning to faith the other parts of my life have continued to be fulfilled, but I also feel like I have addressed a spiritual need and calling that was previously neglected.

It seems like you felt emotionally, or spiritually, or whatever you define it as, as not being fulfilled. So your life wasn't going 100% great or you wouldn't need to fill that emotional gap right?

InChrist

Free4ever
As C.S. Lewis said, [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world"[/FONT].

Humans are so full of themselves that when things are going well they assume it is through their own abilities, talents etc. and are deaf to God, ignoring Him and not stopping to acknowledge or give thanks for the abilities they have in the first place.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Everybody needs God but often we become arrogant when things are going well and so deceive ourselves into thinking that we can run optimally without him.

Last edited: