• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Life is going great, so I became religious."

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
"Life is going great, so I became religious." Do you ever hear someone making that claim? You often hear of people becoming more religious, turning to religion, when the going gets tough. This is often a reason for someone becoming religious in the first place-- God got them through that tough spot.

But it just struck me the other day. You don't often hear of people turning to God when life is good. Why do you think that is?

Trey of Diamonds

It generally believed that religion's purpose is to offer support so if you don't need support you're less likly to need religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Life is going great, so I became religious." Do you ever hear someone making that claim? You often hear of people becoming more religious, turning to religion, when the going gets tough. This is often a reason for someone becoming religious in the first place-- God got them through that tough spot.

But it just struck me the other day. You don't often hear of people turning to God when life is good. Why do you think that is?
I get the impression that this may be the idea behind the "Prosperity Gospel" movement, though I'm not familiar enough with it to say for sure.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Eh, yeah. I finally turned to God fully when I found my self in jail..Well, started my religious searching.

Yeah, I was one of them boys.

But I don't care. God has helped me turn my life around and now I am fully responsible, mature and law abiding.

jargin

You probably never hear that because you don't need religion for anything if you are already happy, healthy, and satisfied.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
"I'm having a good day. I obviously couldn't have possibly made this day as good as it is. This is proof of God/karma/whatever. Therefore I should join a religion."

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm religious because I am. I wasn't turned to religion by sadness or stress or anything like that -- even if I have changed and such from what I was in the beginning to some extent.

So, um, should I raise my hand?

Renji

When people are so thankful of the blessings that they receive, there is also a great tendency for them to become religious. I'm saying this based on my personal experience. Whenever I (or my family) feel so blessed (not necessarily material things, but it can be also those trials that we are able to surpass) we become more religious in a way that we pray to thank God or we attend the mass. When going through tough times, we're doing the same. We also pray, go to mass, etc. So I guess, being religious can work both ways: in good times and the bad. :)

Renji

But yeah Falvun, you have a point. It's just that there are some people who tend to "forget" about God (in the case of Christianity) and become less religious when they experience great things in life (mostly material things). This may be because they think that they already have all things that one could ever wish for and that there's nothing more to ask or be faithful of, hence they become less religious.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Actually, I hear "my life sucked so I turned to religion and now my life is much better"

Sakeenah

interesting thread..it's true that alot of people become more religious in difficult times..I think one of the reasons is in difficult times you realize that God is the One to turn to..and you realize your weakness and you realize that you didn't appreciate God's blessings.
eventhough with me I became more religious while I was a 'happy' teenager so I think there are ppl who become more religious while life is good..In my opinion it's important to praise God and thank Him in good times and Have patience and hope in difficult times..

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

The psychological need for a protective parental figure manifests more often when people regress during times of emotional pain and stress.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Probably because people want to share their sorrows but keep their good fortune. Others are afraid it will jinx them. Others think they should be humble.

I have never heard,
Life is so great I became a Atheist.
Life is so great I gave up smoking.
Life is so great I started smoking.
Life is so great I gave up drinking.
Life is so great I started drinking.
Life is so great I got married.
Life is so great I had a kid.

For that matter I don't think I have ever heard someone say there life is great. I have only read it in fiction.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno... I found myself as much as religious even moreso than on crappy days. But that's just me. :D

When I'm down or stressed I tend to withdraw from Sri Krishna, somehow feeling unworthy of Him. Someone else, who is Shaiva, said the same thing.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I would hope that someone doesn't decide to follow God just because it is going good for him or her at that time. That would mean that he or she would drop it like a hot potato as soon as times got rough. My faith grew stronger after grappling through some hard times after my oldest son was diagnosed with autism.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm religious because I am. I wasn't turned to religion by sadness or stress or anything like that -- even if I have changed and such from what I was in the beginning to some extent.

So, um, should I raise my hand?

Staff, I want to report someone for continuously stealing my lines.

Is you :p

So yeah, I raise my hand second :D.