• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
How about The Satanic Temple request that their Seven Tenants be posted in every classroom by law?

THERE ARE SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS​

I
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
II
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
III
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
IV
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
V
Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
VI
People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
VII
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Should the Pastafarians petition that The Eight I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts are also required to be posted?
1. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Act Like A Sanctimonious Holier-Than-Thou *** When Describing My Noodly Goodness. If Some People Don’t Believe In Me, That’s Okay. Really, I’m Not That Vain. Besides, This Isn’t About Them So Don’t Change The Subject.​
2. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don’t Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People.​
3. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Judge People For The Way They Look, Or How They Dress, Or The Way They Talk, Or, Well, Just Play Nice, Okay? Oh, And Get This Through You Thick Heads: Woman=Person, Man=Person. Samey-Samey. One is Not Better Than The Other, Unless We’re Talking About Fashion And I’m Sorry, But I Gave That To Women And Some Guys Who Know The Difference Between Teal And Fuchsia.​
4. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Indulge In Conduct That Offends Yourself, Or Your Willing, Consenting Partner Of Legal Age AND Mental Maturity. As For Anyone Who Might Object, I Think The Expression Is Go F*** Yourself, Unless They Find That Offensive In Which Case They Can Turn Off The TV For Once And Go For A Walk For A Change.​
5. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Challenge The Bigoted, Misogynist, Hateful Ideas Of Others On An Empty Stomach. Eat, Then Go After The B*******.​
6. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Build multi million-Dollar Churches/Temples/Mosques/ Shrines To My Noodly Goodness When The Money Could Be Better Spent (Take Your Pick): A. Ending Poverty B. Curing Diseases C. Living In Peace, Loving With Passion, And Lowering The Cost Of Cable. I Might Be A Complex Carbohydrate Omniscient Being, But I Enjoy The Simple Things In Life. I Ought To Know. I AM The Creator.​
7. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Go around Telling People I Talk To you. You’re Not That Interesting. Get Over Yourself. And I Told You To Love Your Fellow Man, Can’t You Take A Hint?​
8. I’d Really Rather You Didn’t Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You If You Are Into, Um, Stuff That Uses Alot Of Leather/Lubrication/Las Vegas. If The Other Person Is Into It However (Pursuant To #4), Then Have At It, Take Pictures, And For The Love Of Mike, Wear A CONDOM! Honestly It’s A Piece Of Rubber, If I Didn’t Want It To Feel Good When You Did It I Would Have Added Spikes, Or Something.​

How about The Satanic Temple request that their Seven Tenants be posted in every classroom by law?

THERE ARE SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS​

I
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.​
II
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.​
III
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.​
IV
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.​
V
Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.​
VI
People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.​
VII
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.​
Both are vastly superior to the Ten Commandments, in my opinion.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
But we are talking about the mandatory posting from a book that endorses slavery. That is what we are talking about. It is not asinine to object to that.
The bible doesn't endorse slavery, it simply states that it's a way of life for some people. Which it was for thousands of years, and still is in some places.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The bible doesn't endorse slavery, it simply states that it's a way of life for some people. Which it was for thousands of years, and still is in some places.
I have heard that argument many times before. It is false. The Bible endorses slavery, it commands slaves be taken. But that is an argument for another place and time.

(but it might be soon)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What do you mean "annals of Jurisprudence" Read the article this time.

Absolutely… that is what I mean by “modern interpretation” but not based on precedent. (Like unto the abortion issue - not making this an issue but simply using it as an example which the Court had to undo).

Back on the subject - in the 1960’s a shift happened, not on precedent, but a new interpretation of separation of church and state to read “freedom from religion” instead of “freedom of religion” - reversing almost 200 years of the foundation of what it meant.

But, again, to show that it is not what it is today:

Pennsylvania:
Text of Preamble:
WE, the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance, do ordain and establish this Constitution.

Delaware:

PREAMBLE​

Through Divine goodness, all people have by nature the rights of worshiping and serving their Creator according to the dictates of their consciences, of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring and protecting reputation and property, and in general of obtaining objects suitable to their condition, without injury by one to another; and as these rights are essential to their welfare, for due exercise thereof, power is inherent in them; and therefore all just authority in the institutions of political society is derived from the people, and established with their consent, to advance their happiness; and they may for this end, as circumstances require, from time to time, alter their Constitution of government.

New York

Text of Preamble:
We The People of the State of New York, grateful to Almighty God for our Freedom, in order to secure its blessings, DO ESTABLISH THIS CONSTITUTION.[1]

Virginia:

Whereas, the delegates and representatives of the good people of Virginia, in convention assembled, on the twenty-ninth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy-six, reciting and declaring that...
… We, therefore, the delegates of the good people of Virginia, elected and in convention assembled, in pursuance of said acts, invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God, do propose to the people the following constitution and form of government for this commonwealth:

And so forth and so on for all states.

God, Year of Our Lord, Almighty God, His guidance, Divine Goodness… and so much more...

Obviously, “separation FROM religion” was not on their mind. Today viewpoint is out of context and in error.

How many years passed before the 10 Commandments were removed?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have heard that argument many times before. It is false. The Bible endorses slavery, it commands slaves be taken. But that is an argument for another place and time.

(but it might be soon)
Yeah, I've heard the same from whatever camp you're hailing from but it's pretty easily refuted.

Kenny

Premium Member

(but it might be soon)
Yes… and, of course, those who say it is false omit the reality that it was Christians who used the Bible to eradicate slavery. Something all the lines of “All men are created equal” - and “God created man in His image and in His likeness”.

I will side with @Kathryn

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!
See as how the deep south states tend to be highest in poverty, crime, teen births, etc, maybe it will improve the area. Who knows?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Yes… and, of course, those who say it is false omit the reality that it was Christians who used the Bible to eradicate slavery. Something all the lines of “All men are created equal” - and “God created man in His image and in His likeness”.

I will side with @Kathryn
Might surprise you but this I agree with this. The Bible was used to support the abolishment of slavery. And that fact should not be omitted.

The Bible was also used to support slavery and oppose abolition. Both things are true and neither should be omitted.

Kenny

Premium Member
Might surprise you but this I agree with this. The Bible was used to support the abolishment of slavery. And that fact should not be omitted.

The Bible was also used to support slavery and oppose abolition. Both things are true and neither should be omitted.
Great! And thank you!

Now, we also have to now ask our Jewish friends if “slavery” as you interpret it, is the same as “slavery” as it was applied in those days and in those situations.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Now, we also have to now ask our Jewish friends if “slavery” as you interpret it, is the same as “slavery” as it was applied in those days and in those situations.
I have heard that argument before too. And it is also false. There was slavery as it was applied to Jewish people, and slavery as it was applied to people from other nations. Slavery as it was applied to other nations is everything modern people think slavery is and more.

Kenny

Premium Member
See as how the deep south states tend to be highest in poverty, crime, teen births, etc, maybe it will improve the area. Who knows?
Are they really?

PS

Apparently the states that have had an increase by percentage in the last 10 years are Alaska, North Dakota and West Virginia:

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
I have heard that argument before too. And it is also false. There was slavery as it was applied to Jewish people, and slavery as it was applied to people from other nations. Slavery as it was applied to other nations is everything modern people think slavery is and more.
As I said, perhaps we need to ask our Jewish friends who would probably have a better understanding. My cursory reading and understanding doesn’t make them equal - but I’m open to their understanding if I am wrong.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If I tell you where you can go and hire a prostitute, what services you can expect with her (or with him), and even how to trick a girl into prostitution for life am I not endorsing prostitution? Would you want that taught to your children as something that is okay for them to do?