• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Clizby Wampuscat

It's My Birthday!
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!
Religion belongs at home and with the family. Let's put some Islamic scripture in the schools now too and see how the Christians react.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Religion belongs at home and with the family. Let's put some Islamic scripture in the schools now too and see how the Christians react.
I agree, let's keep religion out of the schools and public, government places. ALL moral edicts for that matter.

Kathryn

That being said, we also should not ignore the history of our systems of laws.

Kathryn

legally in the USA, no.
Biblically, yes.
I don't think the New Testament says go out and buy some slaves. It DOES say basically whatever condition you find yourself in, be content. It's just not a big deal one way or the other, as I've gone on and on about so I won't repeat myself.

Kathryn

Jesus just didn't get very involved in politics, which come and go (ask the Whigs).

Hey, was the Spanish Revolution really important to our grandfathers? Because I swear I can't remember why it was fought but people DIED for their particular side.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!
It seems like yesterday when around the US they were removing religious icons and stopping Christian prayer from being said at public schools.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I don't think the New Testament says go out and buy some slaves.
It does not say not to.
It DOES say basically whatever condition you find yourself in, be content.
Yes, be content that you were bought and sold as a slave.

It's just not a big deal one way or the other,
I completely disagree.
But that is because it is my opinion that slavery is wrong.
The Bible does not seem to share my opinions of slavery.

as I've gone on and on about so I won't repeat myself.
Okay.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
See my above post and also, context, context. The New Testament doesn't involve itself with political stuff for the most part. It's basically saying whatever situation you find yourself in, be content.
I don't understand this.
Do Christians follow the New but not the Old Testament?
If the 10 Commandments are in the OT, why the obsession
over them....not just for themselves, but for non-believers?

Kathryn

It does not say not to.

Yes, be content that you were bought and sold as a slave.

I completely disagree.
But that is because it is my opinion that slavery is wrong.
The Bible does not seem to share my opinions of slavery.

Okay.
It is my opinion also that slavery is wrong for the record.

Kathryn

I don't understand this.
Do Christians follow the New but not the Old Testament?
If the 10 Commandments are in the OT, why the obsession
over them....not just for themselves, but for non-believers?
I don't know, it's not my obsession.

Kathryn

How about the 1st question?
Ie, which do Christians follow?
Or is it both?
Or does it vary with sect?
It may vary with sect, I don't know. As for me, I appreciate that our history ties into the Ten Commandments but I have a different version of them so there's that. Also, the US government was formed from PROTESTANT sources for the most part, and as you may know, I am Roman Catholic, a "sect" that was outlawed for a time in the US. So the ten commandments hanging in a classroom is simply not a burning issue with me.