• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Dang....I thought that being from Texas,
you'd know all about every kind of Christian.
TRUE STORY TIME:

On this very site, someone tried to keep me from moving to Ohio because it was anti Catholic, meaning that they as a Catholic, had received ONE statement against Catholicism in ten years! I was like, Honey, I am from Texas. If I had a dollar for every negative comment I've heard about Catholicism, I could go to Cancun and back.

I was surrounded by protestants who often thought I was going to hell, which I doubt seriously that I am, though some of them may be, who knows? And Trumpsters. not just Republicans. Trump or die, baby!

Kathryn

Oh, the 13th amendment which is for slavery for those who are convicted of a crime. Gotcha.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It may vary with sect, I don't know. As for me, I appreciate that our history ties into the Ten Commandments but I have a different version of them so there's that. Also, the US government was formed from PROTESTANT sources for the most part, and as you may know, I am Roman Catholic, a "sect" that was outlawed for a time in the US. So the ten commandments hanging in a classroom is simply not a burning issue with me.
Christianity sure is complicated.
Sounds like adherents can believe
a wide variety of different things.

Kathryn

Christianity sure is complicated.
Sounds like adherents can believe
a wide variety of different things.
I don't know, I only believe what I believe for me. I'm sure a person can go shopping for whatever suits their fancy, but I at least am going with a church that's been around a very long time. Some would say 2024 years but I would say at least 1700 years or so.

anotherneil

:facepalm:

This is obviously yet another blatant attempt by deranged religious zealots to impudently CRAP on the Bill of Rights & any public office holders behind this are domestic enemies of the state.

The problem is that there are no legal consequences for politicians in public office responsible for this stuff, like being charged with treason or being traitors & having to face a military firing squad, etc. I think it ought to at least result in being expelled immediately from the public office they hold, banishment for life from holding any public office anywhere in the US, and loss of any benefits to which current and former public office holders are or would normally be entitled.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
TRUE STORY TIME:

On this very site, someone tried to keep me from moving to Ohio because it was anti Catholic, meaning that they as a Catholic, had received ONE statement against Catholicism in ten years! I was like, Honey, I am from Texas. If I had a dollar for every negative comment I've heard about Catholicism, I could go to Cancun and back.

I was surrounded by protestants who often thought I was going to hell, which I doubt seriously that I am, though some of them may be, who knows? And Trumpsters. not just Republicans. Trump or die, baby!
I've actually endured very very little
negative feedback for being an atheist..
Even when believers know I am.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know, I only believe what I believe for me. I'm sure a person can go shopping for whatever suits their fancy, but I at least am going with a church that's been around a very long time. Some would say 2024 years but I would say at least 1700 years or so.
It's changed with the times too.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
:facepalm:

This is obviously yet another blatant attempt by deranged religious zealots to impudently CRAP on the Bill of Rights & any public office holders behind this are domestic enemies of the state.

The problem is that there are no legal consequences for politicians in public office responsible for this stuff, like being charged with treason or being traitors & having to face a military firing squad, etc. I think it ought to at least result in being expelled immediately from the public office they hold, banishment for life from holding any public office anywhere in the US, and loss of any benefits to which current and former public office holders are or would normally be entitled.
This bill is in existence for the simple reason people want to know how SCOTUS is going to rule once it gets there.

the Governor who signed it is reported to have said they can not wait for the lawsuits.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
They have values rather different from ours.
No, I am talking about American Values that made this land a land for all. American Values are xenophiliac as it welcomes all those yearning to breathe free, liberty for all and freedom to speak and worship and print, it is to prevent the tyranny of majority from trampling the minority.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I am talking about American Values that made this land a land for all. American Values are xenophiliac as it welcomes all those yearning to breathe frew, liberty for all and freedom to speak and worship and print, it is to prevent the tyranny of majority from trampling the minority.
Sounds good to me!

Kathryn

I've actually endured very very little
negative feedback for being an atheist..
Even when believers know I am.
Oh I was living for a long time in the buckle of the Baptist Bible Belt, it felt like, and I was constantly talked down to. I even had to sign something or other before I could serve ON THE BOARD of a women's interdenominational ministry. To be honest, I didn't know or care what I was signing because my heart was with the ministry we were offering and that's what mattered.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh I was living for a long time in the buckle of the Baptist Bible Belt, it felt like, and I was constantly talked down to. I even had to sign something or other before I could serve ON THE BOARD of a women's interdenominational ministry.
Perhaps if I lived there, my experience
would've been vastly different.

Kathryn

Perhaps if I lived there, my experience
would've been vastly different.
Who knows? I loved living in Texas for many reasons but the politics, religion, and HEAT could go jump off a cliff as far as I was concerned. Thankfully, there's a lot more to life than politics, religion and even heat. But it does add up.

Kathryn

You aren't kidding. TRUE STORY TIME AGAIN:

The first and only argument that my late husband and I had was over a dang brisket. I am telling you, he left that brisket out overnight, I didn't do it. And I said, "Oh no, you left the brisket out!" I mean, this was like 20 years ago, and the brisket was $40 even then. HE GOT SO MAD AT ME that he wouldn't even talk to me, which drove me crazy. So that night I did what any self respecting woman would do. I thought to myself, "I can't sleep next to this man who won't even talk to me." So I got up and went upstairs to the guest room. Well, about three minutes later, I heard him stomping up the stairs and I thought, "Oh no, here it comes." He opened the door and grabbed my feet and said, "Get your *** downstairs into our bed." So I did so! And that was it - it was fabulous!

Kathryn

Still no answer to my question about the Golden Rule. Oh well. Maybe I missed it but I doubt it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Nowhere in the New Testament does it condone slavery. I haven't looked up slavery for a long time, but it seemed very common in lots of communities in the Old Testament, not just Jewish communities. Where was the golden rule then?
I would love to try to answer the question. But honestly I don't understand it.

Are you saying that the Bible contains contradictory ideas? If that is what you are saying I agree, but I doubt that is what you are saying.