• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Pogo

I had to stand beginning in grade school, but I was silent. The reference to gods in the Pledge and on the money let me know that America didn't have my back and I wasn't really one of them. That was "one nation, under God." Where does an atheist fit in in such a nation?

But I still loved America then, was otherwise proud of it. That faded over the decades, which made expatriation much more appealing. Today, I don't feel American anymore. I am. I was acculturated there for 55 years and I still have a passport, file taxes, and collect Social Security. But my heart's not with America anymore, at least not with all of it. I never visit any more.

Here's an opinion that also affected my disposition toward America, further evidence that only theists were good Americans: "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."- American President George H. W. Bush

I'd bet this Louisianna statute is the result of Trump packing the court with theocrats (Christian nationalists). A statute like that now has a chance of being approved of by that court.

The Bud Light thing is also feels like a result of Trumpism, which emboldened bigots of all stripes. Likewise with Florida's "Don't say gay" and book banning.
It is fairly these people arguing history need a history lesson, this god addition is not original but dates from the 50's. The motto of the United States was from the beginning E PLURIBUS UNUM. Out of many one. In God we Trust was introduced by the influence of Catholic and other religious groups who thought their idea was somehow better. LOL Maybe my grade school teachers were conservative but that is what I was taught, the idea was that the US was a place for many from different backgrounds without preference. In retrospect the civil rights movements of the 60's was the result of these conservative teachers.

As for the pledge of allegiance, I considered it a reasonable paean to the concept of E PLURIBUS UNUM, but even as a boy scout I was disturbed by the under god line and was silent for that, it was only much later that I found out that it also was not original but added in 1954 in a burst of religiosity after WWII.

Yes we are losing a lot, this spell checker doesn't even recognize PLURIBUS or unum an the AI Grammar checker allcaps pluribus the first time I typed it but not the second and don't even ask about the other stupid things it does. Still haven't figured out how to turn it off.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
rue, there were Christians that opposed slavery. And they would use the Bible to support their position. There were also Christians that supported slavery. And they would use the Bible to support their position.

The book that can be used to argue that a thing is both right AND wrong, both moral AND immoral, is a terrible guide to anything, just as a GPS trip advisor that tells you to turn both left AND right will never get you home.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Article 11 of the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli, declares that

“the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,”

So... Get your Christian ethics out of view of my children. Teach them in private schools, the home and church. Why is this an argument?

You live in the US?

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
But not just in Christian literature.

A common practice, which I use in the classroom, is to come up with group norms together, create a visual for them, and display them. These are general, and this practice is meant to be collaborative so that there is direct agreement through compromise and a sense of ownership.

The values tend to be around respect and responsibility, and this is accomplished without Christian literature since human groups generally have the same needs in order to function.

Specifically attributing these norms to Christianity in the classroom is blatant indoctrination.

Another example of this is in my Karate dojo we have seven precepts: Humility, Integrity, Perseverance, Compassion, Self Control, Discipline, and Courtesy. These are the core of our practice and are meant to extend beyond the dojo and into our everday life. We recite and meditate on them before and after every class. They are meant to develop character along with the martial arts we practice.

No Christian literature required.

I happen to agree with your post. I also happen to agree with the decision made in Louisianna. The difference is in the democratic process. The state represented a majority, federally the separation still stands, and it is on a state to state decision course now, based on efforts and majority rule. This way, the 1st stands for everyone, and each state represents their own majority as they deem fit. This separation enables greater freedom and strengthens our democratic processes per community.

Pogo

I happen to agree with your post. I also happen to agree with the decision made in Louisianna. The difference is in the democratic process. The state represented a majority, federally the separation still stands, and it is on a state to state decision course now, based on efforts and majority rule. This way, the 1st stands for everyone, and each state represents their own majority as they deem fit. This separation enables greater freedom and strengthens our democratic processes per community.

You actually read this this time to understand why you are wrong and why the US and indeed the state of Louisiana has these words in its constitution.

make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise.

It is a protection against even the popularly elected legislators enforcing bad decisions.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
This way, the 1st stands for everyone, and each state represents their own majority as they deem fit. This separation enables greater freedom and strengthens our democratic processes per community.
You are just not seeing it. Yes, the 1st applies to everyone, in every state. Permitting some states to ignore the 1st due to "their own majority" necessarily entails the 1st NOT applying to everyone in those states. Thus, some states could reduce the freedom for some within those states.

Now think: how is it possible to claim that reducing the freedom for some in individual states "enables greater freedom?" You can't! If the Constitution applies to 333 million American, then taking a freedom away from some of them necessarily reduces the number that the Constitution applies to.

Once again, return to the notion of the tyranny of the majority. That applies at state level, too, if state majorities can tyrannize those states' minorities.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am not a theologian, and I rely on the interpretation of the Ancient Testament made by Christian theologians.
No Christian including me is for slavery.

We are discussing about the commandments that will be displayed in schools.
Not others. :)
The 10 DOES say you shall not covet thy neighbors slave.