• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I've told you, I'm gay. I will never be a parent. As an abused child, I have to say that is probably for the best, since abuse is too often carried from one generation to the next.

I have no sense of parenting, or of having been parented. I was in maybe 40 foster homes -- and hated every one (equally, I have to say). I can't really remember anything about any of them -- as if I wasn't really there. And that would be the truth; I wasn't really there.

So no, I'm sorry but the "right types" never did come into my life when I needed them as a child. Something you should know about -- perhaps you could look it up -- about when fostered or institutionalized kids "age out" of the system. What do you think they're prepared for? Who do you think prepared them. How do you think they get on? (Google "age out.")

But just so you know -- I struggled for years. I was on the street, as a hustler (a male prostitute) because I preferred eating to starving. But I also found my own way -- and I ended up as the Vice President of Information Technology for one of the larger financial institutions in Canada (part of a global concern). It took me 30 years, but I did that BY MYSELF. And I can tell you, it was not easy.
What do you think makes a good parent then?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
What do you think makes a good parent then?
That is the very last question I would have expected after my post. It simply doesn't follow. I could answer with some "philosophical viewpoint," which would mean nothing.

I will tell you, however, what I think a good human being is: someone who cares enough about others to accept them for who they are, to not judge them, to do what they can to help them be who they want to be and not hinder them. And to love them however it turns out -- even when it hurts. To try to see what's good in every person, and to do one's best to forgive them when they don't "measure up."

And one more thing: to be authentically who you are in the face of everything.

I've tried to be that.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
That is the very last question I would have expected after my post. It simply doesn't follow. I could answer with some "philosophical viewpoint," which would mean nothing.

I will tell you, however, what I think a good human being is: someone who cares enough about others to accept them for who they are, to not judge them, to do what they can to help them be who they want to be and not hinder them. And to love them however it turns out -- even when it hurts. To try to see what's good in every person, and to do one's best to forgive them when they don't "measure up."

And one more thing: to be authentically who you are in the face of everything.

I've tried to be that.

A good human being...

Role of a parent? You don't know? You have no idea what that might be? You don't know, beyond some philosophical viewpoint of what you would deem to be a fit or suitable character, nature, and action of a parent? Because it's in that honor that you will find the meaning of that commandment. Your idea of what makes a good mother and father would be an honorable mother and father, regardless of you having no children.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
A good human being...

Role of a parent? You don't know? You have no idea what that might be? You don't know, beyond some philosophical viewpoint of what you would deem to be a fit or suitable character, nature, and action of a parent? Because it's in that honor that you will find the meaning of that commandment. Your idea of what makes a good mother and father would be an honorable mother and father, regardless of you having no children.
How abysmally you have misunderstood me. I told you what I thought a good human being might be. And the person I defined would be, if you stopped for just a moment pontificating, by definition a good parent. Read the post again. Think about the film "Dead Poets Society."

I know, probably better than you ever will, what a "good parent" might be. And you will never understand why. And it has nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with the fact that they contributed a sperm and ovum! Too many people do that with no thought at all to what they're doing.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
How abysmally you have misunderstood me. I told you what I thought a good human being might be. And the person I defined would be, if you stopped for just a moment pontificating, by definition a good parent. Read the post again. Think about the film "Dead Poets Society."

I know, probably better than you ever will, what a "good parent" might be. And you will never understand why. And it has nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with the fact that they contributed a sperm and ovum! Too many people do that with no thought at all to what they're doing.

That depends on perspective and an understanding specifically about character type and propensity. So, I understand the why and I understand my pov also. I remember way back in early twenties, after going through some untold or rather misunderstood severity of hell. It had been ongoing for several years, then one day my wife tells she pregnant. My nature compelled me to tears. I feared that he would be required to go through and suffer the way I had been suffering. It's a difficult thing to acknowledge hereditary conditions, passed from one generation to another. You see, it wasn't just me who had this condition, but also his grandfather, so there was a very high likely hood that he too would go through what I had been going through. I wouldn't deny bringing another child into this world at this point, but at that age, it scared me for my child. I wasn't dangerous, but life was very difficult due to my extreme sense of emotion. Bi polar - The medication numbed my emotional sensitivity to the point where I felt fear or sadness. The highs were gone. The lows seemed to be increased and I was counted among the "crazy people" who were rarely given much credence. With that stated, I will never not be his father and that type of man. Anyway, I understand what you stated. This is beside the point I'm making. The truth matters. The truth is some parents are not fit to be parent. I am a fit parent. What I'm not, is someone who will suggest that honoring your mother and father equates to honoring **** poor parenting.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Ok, in that case theft is ok, murder is ok, lying about your neighbors is ok, dishonoring homesteads and households are ok, it's ok to not consider consequence of theft, murder, or
:facepalm:If you need a book or some picture of stone tablets to tell you those things are bad and to not do them you are not a good person to begin.
It's what you're not seeing about the concepts that you seem to struggle with.
A few of the commandments do absolutely nothing more than enforce Jehovah's reign and declare him as the only god you shall have. They're actually quite useless as far as morality goes.
A few are duh, no brainers that normally don't happen much anyways because people largely aren't that way. People just innately know they are wrong.
And some need tweaking. Such as how the burden should be on the parents to be worthy of honor rather than pressuring the kid to honor parents who don't need any encouragement to keep doing what they're doing.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
:facepalm:If you need a book or some picture of stone tablets to tell you those things are bad and to not do them you are not a good person to begin.

A few of the commandments do absolutely nothing more than enforce Jehovah's reign and declare him as the only god you shall have. They're actually quite useless as far as morality goes.
A few are duh, no brainers that normally don't happen much anyways because people largely aren't that way. People just innately know they are wrong.
And some need tweaking. Such as how the burden should be on the parents to be worthy of honor rather than pressuring the kid to honor parents who don't need any encouragement to keep doing what they're doing.
I agree, aside from being useless and that people innately know they are wrong. Some do sure, but not all. Tweaking like teaching what they mean and how to apply them or do you think they should be amended like the bill of rights?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The 10 Commandments are actually terrible morality.
Sure, a few are useful. But about half are religioiusly
intolerant when applied to non-Christians. And the
10th allows us to enslave other people. (Note that
some modern versions have been sanitized of this.)
More...
There is no commandment to honor one's word,
to be tolerant of other religions, to be productive,
to be kind, to be thoughtful, or to improve oneself.

The Books of Bokonon are a much better guide
to live one's life than the Bible.

Believers in particular need to read Kurt Vonnegut.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The 10 Commandments are actually terrible morality.
Especially those about lying and stealing.
Considering how many public servants lie and steal public money from a nation through bribery.
;)
And they even expect God to save them from Hell. Cheekiness.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Especially those about lying and stealing.
Considering how many public servants lie and steal public money from a nation through bribery.
;)
And they even expect God to save them from Hell. Cheekiness.
You're OK with allowing slavery (10th)?
You're also OK with no comment about honoring one's word?
Your God's threat to send me to Hell is just the stupidest &
meanest of myths. Well...some are even meaner because
they're about humans murdering & enslaving each other.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You're OK with allowing slavery (10th)?
I am not a theologian, and I rely on the interpretation of the Ancient Testament made by Christian theologians.
No Christian including me is for slavery.

We are discussing about the commandments that will be displayed in schools.
Not others. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am not a theologian, and I rely on the interpretation of the Ancient Testament made by Christian theologians.
Your foundational book must be interpreted by others?
Which have THE TRUTH, of the many diverse views?
No Christian including me is for slavery.
Christian history says otherwise.
Even today, some still practice it.
We are discussing about the commandments that will be displayed in schools.
Not others. :)
You mean the version of the 10 Commandments
that you like. What of Christians who want other
versions....more original godly versions?
Why not post other prescriptions of good behavior,
eg, don't enslave people, honor your word, etc?
To command obeying a god we don't believe in,
but not command integrity is evil.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
We really only need seven tenets in every classroom......

I, One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II, The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

III, One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV, The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V, Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI, People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII, Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Your foundational book must be interpreted by others?
Which have THE TRUTH, of the many diverse views?
Yes, it must be interpreted.
Christian history says otherwise.
Even today, some still practice it.
Exactly. You're very right. Many Christian bankers who enslave entire nations through seigniorage. Usurocracy. ;)
You mean the version of the 10 Commandments
that you like. What of Christians who want other
versions....more original godly versions?
Why not post other prescriptions of good behavior,
eg, don't enslave people, honor your word, etc?
To command obeying a god we don't believe in,
but not command integrity is evil.
It depends on what you mean by integrity.
By integrity I mean fairness towards the neighbor.
Not towards themselves. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Exactly. You're very right. Many Christian bankers who enslave entire nations through seigniorage. Usurocracy. ;)

By integrity I mean fairness towards the neighbor.
Not towards themselves. ;)

What is the neighbor?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We really only need seven tenets in every classroom......

I, One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II, The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

III, One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV, The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V, Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI, People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII, Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
Those will never fly with devout Christians though.
Violating the rights of others, especially bodily
autonomy is fundamental. And science....that
stuff just a tool of God haters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't think for yourself.
Let others tell you what is right & wrong.
Very cultish.
Very dangerous.
Honor your word & the rights of others.
How is that so hard to infer from the word, "integrity"?
Why is it not fundamental to Christianity?