• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You are right, they never said that.
The text of the Constitution, prior to the Amendments, never uses the word "slave" either, but it's there. Meaning is conveyed both by what one says and sometimes what one doesn't. You should know that by now.

Dobbs v. Jackson states that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; and, the authority to regulate abortion is “returned to the people and their elected representatives.” That is, the authority over what a woman may do with her body, from the moment she becomes pregnant, is handed over to the state -- not to her. I don't care what the words say -- that is the MEANING. And you can diddle with sophistry all you like, it's not going to change that.

Wandering Monk

So, raised as a Cristian, do you really think Jesus would want you killed because of your lifestyle choices/identification/beliefs?
Good question. What would Jesus do? Ask these preachers that question.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Can't argue that. I was raised Southern Baptist.
But they say you are wrong just as you say they are wrong. Hiw do we determine who is correct?

Apostolic tradition. Many heretical teachings in Protestantism, though at the core there are some agreements (two natures in one person of the Christ, for example).

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I always feel such warm, fuzzy love when I'm around fundamentalist Christians. :eek:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
What is it that they say....
"Love the sin. Hate the sinner."
I don't care -- I know only one thing: anyone who claims to be speaking for Jesus Christ and winds up at "kill, kill, kill" is simply a LIAR and a HYPOCRITE and doesn't have a fracking clue what his own religion is even about.

But that's the thing with Christianity -- there's never been any requirement for intelligence or honesty to get yourself a "Reverend" title from Billy-Bob's Bible College and Bait Shop.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't care -- I know only one thing: anyone who claims to be speaking for Jesus Christ and winds up at "kill, kill, kill" is simply a LIAR and a HYPOCRITE and doesn't have a fracking clue what his own religion is even about.

But that's the thing with Christianity -- there's never been any requirement for intelligence or honesty to get yourself a "Reverend" title from Billy-Bob's Bible College and Bait Shop.
American traditions has seen Reverends who haven't read or studied the Bible because they cannot read.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Yeah, it does. This is a larger effort of trying to force American Conservative, Evangelical values on all of us.

Ok, in that case theft is ok, murder is ok, lying about your neighbors is ok, dishonoring homesteads and households are ok, it's ok to not consider consequence of theft, murder, or anything that might be honored by the evangelical Christian flock, despite the laws already in place that deem them worthy of honor. Prison terms suck, and if God equates to true and real, then I would suggest it prudent to pay attention and utilize some critical thinking as you navigate... Thats me speaking as a person, an apostate Christian and a heathen. If the larger effort is to force other values, specific to Christian values, then there would indeed be reason for concern. Some do, and this has been duly noted and observed, but this does not suggest that the larger effort as it applies to Louisianas decision, is the effort of forcing evangelical Christian values on everyone. Secular circles understand full well the force, which has been evidenced for several decades now, which lead to and have denied specific communities the freedoms they had grown accustomed to. Louisiana, as a community took effort and regained those losses.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ok, in that case theft is ok, murder is ok, lying about your neighbors is ok, dishonoring homesteads and households are ok, it's ok to not consider consequence of theft, murder, or anything that might be honored by the evangelical Christian flock, despite the laws already in place that deem them worthy of honor. Prison terms suck, and if God equates to true and real, then I would suggest it prudent to pay attention and utilize some critical thinking as you navigate... Thats me speaking as a person, an apostate Christian and a heathen. If the larger effort is to force other values, specific to Christian values, then there would indeed be reason for concern. Some do, and this has been duly noted and observed, but this does not suggest that the larger effort as it applies to Louisianas decision, is the effort of forcing evangelical Christian values on everyone. Secular circles understand full well the force, which has been evidenced for several decades now, which lead to and have denied specific communities the freedoms they had grown accustomed to. Louisiana, as a community took effort and regained those losses.
That is a despicable argument, and you should be ashamed of yourself! I really mean that. To argue that, because I don't accept the Ten Commandments, I must therefore think murder and theft is okay is simply lying through your teeth -- and you are smart enough to know it. You really should retract this post -- but since I'm quoting it, you can't.

I see, for example, that you won't answer my direct response to you in Post #601, about why God doesn't bother to mention that parents shouldn't abandon or abuse their children. It is much more fair of me to say that, therefore, those are not important issues to God. But guess what? The Qur'an does, in fact, cover exactly that! Look:

Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ “Come! Let me recite to you what your Lord has forbidden to you: do not associate others with Him ˹in worship˺. ˹Do not fail to˺ honour your parents. Do not kill your children for fear of poverty. We provide for you and for them. Do not come near indecencies, openly or secretly. Do not take a ˹human˺ life—made sacred by Allah—except with ˹legal˺ right.1 This is what He has commanded you, so perhaps you will understand. And do not come near the wealth of the orphan—unless intending to enhance it—until they attain maturity. Give full measure and weigh with justice. We never require of any soul more than what it can afford. Whenever you speak, maintain justice—even regarding a close relative. And fulfil your covenant with Allah. This is what He has commanded you, so perhaps you will be mindful. Quran 6:151-152

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox

Yep, those are all fundamentalist Protestants.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Some things are worthy of being put into the classroom. Nonsense and heresy are not.

Are these nonsense?

I
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
II
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
III
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
IV
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
V
Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
VI
People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
VII
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
When I was a schoolboy, several centuries ago, I was a ward of the Children's Aid. (Technicall, I was a ward of the crown, meaning that effectively the Queen was my guardian -- not that it did me much good. :rolleyes:) I did not know my father -- not even his name -- and he had never seen my face, even as an infant, and my mother was long gone out of my life. Much later in life (in fact not until I was 70) did I learn all the facts, and discover my 16 half brothers and sisters (actually 18 - twins died shortly after being born). My father knocked my mother up and left, and then another girl, giving me a half-brother exactly 6 months younger than me. And then, 4 months before I was born, married a third girl who was already pregnant by him. My mother married a man shortly after I was born who horribly abused me, almost killing me twice, which she did little to stop.

May I just hint at what I might have thought about a "commandment" to honour my father and my mother?

I also did not believe in God. I would not have appreciated being informed "officially" (i.e. on the wall of the school dedicated to my education) that I was wrong, and that there was a God, and I was required to worship Him alone.

Oddly, the commandments do not say that my father shouldn't have left, nor my step-father shouldn't have abused me. God, for some reason, left those out, which rather suggests that they weren't issues for Him. Nothing in God's law against abandoning me, either.

You may think this trivial, and I could just "get over it," but all this happened by the time I was 8 years old in grade 3. You may have heard that these can be quite impressionable years.

Further, I live in one of the most multicultural cities, provinces and country in the world. I was surrounded by Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Protestants, Catholics, Buddhists etc. They were in my classrooms. They had as much right to be there as I did -- and as much right to be respected for who they were, and not to have (for them) "foreign" religious idiologies thrust upon them. School was for learning what a child needs to know -- religion was for home and church/temple/mosque/etc.

If you think I'm making an argument for the sake of it, you might ponder on the things that happened to me -- and why I feel very strongly about it.

Where was your personal sense of parenting garnered? It wasn't from your birth parents, so were you ever able to adopt a sense of what parenting is about? If so, I'm sure you would honor these over your childhood birth parents. Abandonment isn't always a bad thing, particularly when the right types come into your life.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
That is a despicable argument, and you should be ashamed of yourself! I really mean that. To argue that, because I don't accept the Ten Commandments, I must therefore think murder and theft is okay is simply lying through your teeth -- and you are smart enough to know it. You really should retract this post -- but since I'm quoting it, you can't.

I see, for example, that you won't answer my direct response to you in Post #601, about why God doesn't bother to mention that parents shouldn't abandon or abuse their children. It is much more fair of me to say that, therefore, those are not important issues to God. But guess what? The Qur'an does, in fact, cover exactly that! Look:

Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ “Come! Let me recite to you what your Lord has forbidden to you: do not associate others with Him ˹in worship˺. ˹Do not fail to˺ honour your parents. Do not kill your children for fear of poverty. We provide for you and for them. Do not come near indecencies, openly or secretly. Do not take a ˹human˺ life—made sacred by Allah—except with ˹legal˺ right.1 This is what He has commanded you, so perhaps you will understand. And do not come near the wealth of the orphan—unless intending to enhance it—until they attain maturity. Give full measure and weigh with justice. We never require of any soul more than what it can afford. Whenever you speak, maintain justice—even regarding a close relative. And fulfil your covenant with Allah. This is what He has commanded you, so perhaps you will be mindful. Quran 6:151-152

Despicable? No, it isn't and wouldn't want to retract, despite your opinion of it. Truth is, these common laws, common concepts, are common, which were likewise attributed and associated in Christian literature. It's what you're not seeing about the concepts that you seem to struggle with. Life happens and there are many injustices in life. This is our only true way to navigate ... from our experiences and the lessons we learn from others. The cosmos is really all there is. How we conduct our existence is complicated, and often enough made much more severe due to the actions of that which surrounds us. Thankfully, what surrounds me also has ability to sustain my well being and at times promote a happier life.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Where was your personal sense of parenting garnered? It wasn't from your birth parents, so were you ever able to adopt a sense of what parenting is about? If so, I'm sure you would honor these over your childhood birth parents. Abandonment isn't always a bad thing, particularly when the right types come into your life.
I've told you, I'm gay. I will never be a parent. As an abused child, I have to say that is probably for the best, since abuse is too often carried from one generation to the next.

I have no sense of parenting, or of having been parented. I was in maybe 40 foster homes -- and hated every one (equally, I have to say). I can't really remember anything about any of them -- as if I wasn't really there. And that would be the truth; I wasn't really there.

So no, I'm sorry but the "right types" never did come into my life when I needed them as a child. Something you should know about -- perhaps you could look it up -- about when fostered or institutionalized kids "age out" of the system. What do you think they're prepared for? Who do you think prepared them. How do you think they get on? (Google "age out.")

But just so you know -- I struggled for years. I was on the street, as a hustler (a male prostitute) because I preferred eating to starving. But I also found my own way -- and I ended up as the Vice President of Information Technology for one of the larger financial institutions in Canada (part of a global concern). It took me 30 years, but I did that BY MYSELF. And I can tell you, it was not easy.