• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I don't see any issues with having the Ten Commandments in public like this. If the president can say "God bless America" and the text "In God we trust" can be on the currency then it would be hypocrisy not having the Tend Commandments in public.
First, it is a violation of the 1st Amendment. It is about pushing religion onto others who may not approve ar all.

Second, I'm fine with a prez saying "God bless America" or "In God we trust". The God from that first, since it's not actually specifically tied to a religion, can be considered any god or even a pantheon of gods. It also falls under freedom of speech. Then, "In God we trust" is tricky. Like the "God bless" it could mean any god. Since it is on money it could be a reference to Mammon for all I care. And the Federal Reserve exists because an act of Congress but is a private entity. They can slap whatever they want on a dollar bill. I only care about it's worth.

Third, and coming full circle, public schools are not private entities. They are public ran government sponsored/financed institutions.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am just reading this posts, but I need to tell you how disgusting and sickening that suggestion is. That anyone, human, angel, alien or God would allow a child to be beaten and do nothing, and you suggest that God is benevolent because he allowed the child to live? What a disgusting thing to say, what a disgusting thing to think.

Your logic is wrong… would you like to open up a different thread?

Maybe there is a reason you should not be proselytizing here in a political forum, not just because it is against the rules, but because you are doing such a horrible and insensitive job of it.

I’m just answering other people‘s questions. I didn’t bring up the subject.

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
First, it is a violation of the 1st Amendment. It is about pushing religion onto others who may not approve ar all.

Second, I'm fine with a prez saying "God bless America" or "In God we trust". The God from that first, since it's not actually specifically tied to a religion, can be considered any god or even a pantheon of gods. It also falls under freedom of speech. Then, "In God we trust" is tricky. Like the "God bless" it could mean any god. Since it is on money it could be a reference to Mammon for all I care. And the Federal Reserve exists because an act of Congress but is a private entity. They can slap whatever they want on a dollar bill. I only care about it's worth.

Third, and coming full circle, public schools are not private entities. They are public ran government sponsored/financed institutions.
Shouldn't it be strict at either way? Either no religious references from the president and nothing religious on the currency, or go all in. I'm not an American so I don't care what way the US will take because it won't affect me.

Viker

Shouldn't it be strict at either way? Either no religious references from the president and nothing religious on the currency, or go all in. I'm not an American so I don't care what way the US will take because it won't affect me.
It shouldn't be "strict". It should be within reason and within the law. A president saying "God bless America" is reasonable and lawful. A policy of mandating religious displays and mandating religious indoctrination should remain unlawful.

If America's NAR (New Apostolic Reformation)/Christian Nationalist movement completes it's attempt at hijacking the US it should concern you. The Dominionist goal isn't just making America an absolutist Christian nation. Australia would eventually have to comply or go to war with the new US. Dominionism also means dominion over the whole earth not just America. Are you ready to convert or become aware that what could change the US into an extremist religious nation, with an advanced large military, will have massive impact globally.

Pogo

The president is a citizen, not the government, and so has the freedom of speech, the government, which he heads, does not and cannot engage in religious favor.
Yes it should not be on the currency, we should go back to E pluribus unum, but that is hardly the least of our transgressions.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I’ve explained before but I realize when someone really doesn’t care what you respond… I don’t waste my time. :)
You do this every single time we converse. You accuse me of something and then just shut down instead of answering tough questions.
Which of course is just a cop out.

I assure you, I do care, or I wouldn't be conversing with you. Please don't question my integrity or sincerity again. You're the one running off here, (again). Not me.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I am just reading this posts, but I need to tell you how disgusting and sickening that suggestion is. That anyone, human, angel, alien or God would allow a child to be beaten and do nothing, and you suggest that God is benevolent because he allowed the child to live? What a disgusting thing to say, what a disgusting thing to think.

Maybe there is a reason you should not be proselytizing here in a political forum, not just because it is against the rules, but because you are doing such a horrible and insensitive job of it.
^^^^^This ^^^^^^^

Pogo

It makes me wonder just what were the sins that he feels his acceptance of a get out of jail free card got him out of?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You do this every single time we converse. You accuse me of something and then just shut down instead of answering tough questions.

I assure you, I do care, or I wouldn't be conversing with you. Please don't question my integrity or sincerity again. You're the one running off here, (again). Not me.

Then ask a good question and then just don’t blow it off with outlandish replies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't see any issues with having the Ten Commandments in public like this. If the president can say "God bless America" and the text "In God we trust" can be on the currency then it would be hypocrisy not having the Tend Commandments in public.

There's a difference in their intent. If I tell you "Thanks be to God", that's freedom of speech, but if I post the Decalogue in public school classrooms, that at least in tone violates the 1st Amendment separation of church & state.

What if a state mandates the posting of the Islamic Five Pillars of Faith in all public schools, is that OK with you?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That you are no different from me. We are all in the same boat and Jesus came to forgive us through grace and give us the gift of righteousness (or salvation) to whosoever wants it. (All in context of my signature). That Jesus came to redeem us and bring us back into rightstanding with God - back into His family.
You believe he came to you.
I've had no contract from him whatsoever.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I can explain this to you so that you understand:

Heads: God wins!

Tails: People lose!

That is all to often the favorite game of theists.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Second, I'm fine with a prez saying "God bless America" or "In God we trust". The God from that first, since it's not actually specifically tied to a religion, can be considered any god or even a pantheon of gods.
Except we know what amd who is meant. In God We Trust wasn't added to money after a Buddhist Revival. It will be very obvious to future anthropologists it specifically refers to Jehovah.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I've had no contract from him whatsoever.
Would you be interested in a contract with the other guy?

1721773271305.png

He at least honours the deals he make.

Viker

Except we know what amd who is meant. In God We Trust wasn't added to money after a Buddhist Revival. It will be very obvious to future anthropologists it specifically refers to Jehovah.
Jehovah, Yah. I'm convinced it's Mammon because it's on currency. Right where Mammon wants it.