• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magick and Prayer

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Magick - the practice of causing change through psychological manipulation, generally that of the self. Ritual, symbolism, chanting, meditation, invocation, etc are all used to influence one's own mind and cause change. Because of this, much studying, practice, and trial is required to find the ritual style, symbolism, etc that best works for a person. It is similar to the placebo affect, however it can be proven to work through brain scans during practice. Nobody denies the power of the mind. With magick, all comes from within.

Now, praying is just another way of practicing magick. The symbols include one's god(s), following ritualistic dogma set up by religions, etc. A person who believes in prayer may heal faster if they know they are being prayed for, as it also comes from within.

So, the question is, how can many religious people claim prayer to be good while magick to be evil, when they are one in the same? My own theory is that teaching such a thing forces a person to look externally and ignore internal power. But perhaps there is more to it.

Thoughts?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
God gave us an inheritance of power. I don't see anything wrong with using it.. But, it should be used under the awareness and veneration of God.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Basically:

I agree with you.

Praying is a form of Magic.

Those who use "magic" or "sorcery" or "witchcraft" as a pejorative terms to talk of magics that are not their own often make me chuckle and shake my head.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The case depends fully on how you choose to define "prayer" and "magic." I follow Me Myself's sentiment in that prayer is a subtype of magic, but others are free to their own definitions and disagreements.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I think prayer is a form of magick. In fact I made a thread about a while
back. I think the title was- Is prayer a form of magic-.

illusion86

everybody has a opinion
In paganism is like asking for things to happen to ones life without their consent bad....to my undwrstanding yea ut i have a open mind

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Where the attention goes the energy flows. attention...intention...

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Magick - the practice of causing change through psychological manipulation
Now, praying is just another way of practicing magick.
So, the question is, how can many religious people claim prayer to be good while magick to be evil, when they are one in the same?
Not so fast my friend... that second statement needs substantiation.

Consider; prayer is an attempt at communion with the divine rather than an attempt to manifest change through psychological manipulation.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

Consider; prayer is an attempt at communion with the divine rather than an attempt to manifest change through psychological manipulation.
Depends on what you're praying about.

Premium Member

Well whatever it is an attempt to do does not matter. What matters is what it actually is, which is manifesting change through psychological manipulation using one's gods and symbolism as part of the ritual, whether one accepts such a thing or not.

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
So, the question is, how can many religious people claim prayer to be good while magick to be evil, when they are one in the same? My own theory is that teaching such a thing forces a person to look externally and ignore internal power.

I think this question is absolutely critical and many Christians never think about it! Jesus addresses it in Matthew 6:

"7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Many Christians pray asking for specific things like improved health or a well-paying job, which I believe is exactly what you (and Jesus) say it is: magic/paganism. The more I contemplate this question, the more I realize that it essentially means that you can't pray for anything! As a result, my prayer has become more and more like an almost Zen-like meditation for me, simply experiencing the presence of God for some time without much thought. When I do pray for specific things I keep it as simple as the Serenity Prayer -- basically just praying to accept things as they already are.

It's interesting how thin the line is between the left and right paths. Some might argue that it doesn't exist, but my experience is that if you keep up a rigorous spiritual program, then the line continues to be discernable.

Premium Member
I think this question is absolutely critical and many Christians never think about it! Jesus addresses it in Matthew 6:

"7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Many Christians pray asking for specific things like improved health or a well-paying job, which I believe is exactly what you (and Jesus) say it is: magic/paganism. The more I contemplate this question, the more I realize that it essentially means that you can't pray for anything! As a result, my prayer has become more and more like an almost Zen-like meditation for me, simply experiencing the presence of God for some time without much thought. When I do pray for specific things I keep it as simple as the Serenity Prayer -- basically just praying to accept things as they already are.

It's interesting how thin the line is between the left and right paths. Some might argue that it doesn't exist, but my experience is that if you keep up a rigorous spiritual program, then the line continues to be discernable.

That is an interesting take on it. In fact, I do not think I have heard it before. Generally Christians do not accept the practice of magick and mysticism, as they divide the LHP and RHP greatly. I'd say you actually blur the line more than make it obvious. And there is nothing wrong in that. It is just one less thing to divide people, and I have great respect for such revolutionary open mindedness.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I don´t think that is paganism, but I wouldn´t separate the prayer Jesus taught from magic neither.

First, Jesus said we should ask what we need from God. Ask and you shall receive.

Now about the prayer:

Jesus propose a bodily ritual (putting our hands together) and specific words that most be said to acomplish a goal (which is understood in the words) :

Our Father
That are in Heaven
Holy be thy name (This part is mere evokation)
Your kingdom come (now we are asking for something)
Your will be done in earth as it is in Heaven (asking again)
Give us today our daily bread (again, asking)
Forgive our tresspasses the same way we forgive traspasses of others (a request again, which also comprehends a practice for the request to be effective, as many magic rituals have)
And don´t let us fall in temptation (again, request...)
and rid us from evil (practicaly, what is called in magic as a "banishing" but specificaly of evil spirits)

In the name of the Father, the son and the Holy Spirit(invoking powerful names and "in the names ofs" is very popular in magic too)
Amen (closer)

So just that prayer is still magic.

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
I don´t think that is paganism

Then what is the dividing line between Christian and pagan prayer?

Our Father
That are in Heaven
Your kingdom come (now we are asking for something)...

Yes, I was avoiding taking it there because this gets into a complicated discussion that could fill a book; for me the dividing line is whose will you are asking to be done, which in the case of the Lord's prayer is primarily just asking for God's will to be done. Separating your own will and God's will is extremely difficult, and I believe it requires a lifetime of spiritual work. I believe that the Lord's Prayer gives us the few things that it's okay to ask for, which is mostly "God's will be done" and bread.

Although the minute particulars of this "my will"/"thy will" dichotomy are hard to pick apart, I think it's pretty obvious that prayer asking for money, sex, a relationship, a job, a house, etc. or anything else specific and material is the opposite pole from "thy will be done".

As a side note, I've usually heard the Lord's Prayer as a prayer that you recite once, but I prefer to do it as a meditation where I repeat it many times.

jasonwill2

Christian has a point.

I don´t think that is paganism, but I wouldn´t separate the prayer Jesus taught from magic neither.

First, Jesus said we should ask what we need from God. Ask and you shall receive.

Now about the prayer:

Jesus propose a bodily ritual (putting our hands together) and specific words that most be said to acomplish a goal (which is understood in the words) :

Our Father
That are in Heaven
Your kingdom come (now we are asking for something)
Your will be done in earth as it is in Heaven (asking again)
Give us today our daily bread (again, asking)
Forgive our tresspasses the same way we forgive traspasses of others (a request again, which also comprehends a practice for the request to be effective, as many magic rituals have)
And don´t let us fall in temptation (again, request...)
and rid us from evil (practicaly, what is called in magic as a "banishing" but specificaly of evil spirits)

In the name of the Father, the son and the Holy Spirit(invoking powerful names and "in the names ofs" is very popular in magic too)
Amen (closer)

So just that prayer is still magic.

Christian praying is more like begging, where as the magic I employ is more like commanding and making things manifest through my own strength. Christians are at the mercy of their god while I am at the mercy of my own ability. though The Powers of Darkness or whatever you want to call them are willing to assist me. In a way daemons and the spirits of the dead help us with magic because they act as messengers of our will. We create the package (spell) and the spirits take it to its destination for us.

If you had no body and could pretty much only mess around with people, wouldn't it be a good break to deliver the energies and emotions to the destination just to see what happens? I imagine the dead get very bored at times.

I'm really not joking that much either. What I am trying to contrast is that ritual magic that has all the trappings and intense emotion relies on YOUR skill, as opposed to you being at the mercy of another being that has to do all the heavy lifting for desires it really doesn't care for.

It's like if your friend asked you to make a gift for his lover and then deliver it to her. That would be Christian praying. Now if your friend made the gift himself and said "give this to my girl please" then all you have to do is take it and give it to her. No heavy lifting for you, the deliverer.

This is the difference between magic and praying. Praying is watered-down and weak magic because you are relying on gods and spirits who really don't care to hand you everything when instead you should be doing it yourself.

Now if a lot of Christians can get together, and if their desire is strong enough and their 'faith' unwavering, through the fantasizing of their loved one being healed or whatever, they can unwittingly practice a form of cermonial/ritual magic. Though they often do not realize it. It's hit and miss with that kind of praying. Though if they hit when their respective spirits/god carry out the package of will so to speak, it can hit hard and fast.

This view has many consequences. For example it says that a lot of spirits are indifferent. Indeed, losing your body only to float around the earth can be quite dull I would imagine for some. It also means that spirits and gods want us to work for what we want, instead of asking like a spoiled rich kid who won't work for his change.

Though someone mentioned prayer as a meditative technique to connect to their god. I find this a very wise piece of knowledge that many seem to overlook. I've connected with my own cosmic god (The Darkness, not satan to be clear) a few times in fleeting mediation, and the passage of time seems to go on forever even when its a few seconds and there is utter bliss and I feel well rested.

Such things can be very potent and refreshing. My mind was totally clear, completely and utterly and on the edge of lucid sleep. The only thing in my mind was the raw sensory input from hearing and feel. Nothing else at all.

Premium Member
You pretty much came here and said "I practice magick, but I don't call it that because I'm christian." Thats what I got.

Sleeppy

You quoted Jesus.. And then you go against quite a few of His other sayings (and doings), that can also be quoted.

The Serenity Prayer isn't even His.

People don't realize that these things are so called because they are absent of God. Idolatry vs. God, Miracle vs. Sorcery, etc.

Where do you think the power for these things originates from?

Sleeppy

You'll have to be more specific than that if you want a discussion.

I didn't claim it was.

You didn't have to make that claim. If you care what Jesus says there, then you should consider the others too. Mentioning the Serenity Prayer, when you're claiming validity in Jesus' words doesn't help, unless the prayer came from Him.

Jesus went around healing, preaching, teaching, etc. When people asked Him to heal, He healed. When they asked Him to preach and teach to them, He did so. When they hungered, He fed them. When it was time to pay a tax, He paid it. I can do a Google search for these instances and so can you.